Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    rumor to Cayman RS

    A friend of mine picked up his new Cayman S in Stuttgart this week. While visiting the factory he saw a big camouflaged Cayman with a 4 pipe exhaust system. He is trustable. He don't kidding me. So maybe we see next year a Cayman RS.

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    That would be very cool! Original 1999 360hp GT3 motor, lightflywheel, non-PASM coilovers, adjustable swaybars, LSD, lightweight and not too expensive and I'd be VERY interested...

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Quote:
    KF said:
    A friend of mine picked up his new Cayman S in Stuttgart this week. While visiting the factory he saw a big camouflaged Cayman with a 4 pipe exhaust system. He is trustable. He don't kidding me. So maybe we see next year a Cayman RS.



    If any body you should know better KF .

    Now, that would be a great car.

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    So amazing that porsche dont actually build this car! This is one of those topics that is covered so many times, and every instance everybody agrees that it would be one hell of a car and a big seller!!!!

    Oh and by the way I'll take one too!!!!! Realistically, I dont see any RS coming as that is reserved for the 911 but perhaps a GT model or more likely a turbo?

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Maybe they could call it the Cayman R or SR.

    That nomenclature been used before by Porsche for special models.

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Quote:
    Grant said:
    That would be very cool! Original 1999 360hp GT3 motor, lightflywheel, non-PASM coilovers, adjustable swaybars, LSD, lightweight and not too expensive and I'd be VERY interested...



    Way too much power for a Cayman.... It can't overtake a 911......

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Quote:
    RichJ said:
    So amazing that porsche dont actually build this car! This is one of those topics that is covered so many times, and every instance everybody agrees that it would be one hell of a car and a big seller!!!!

    Oh and by the way I'll take one too!!!!! Realistically, I dont see any RS coming as that is reserved for the 911 but perhaps a GT model or more likely a turbo?



    With sales figures dropping Porsche may start coming up with some kick ass products .

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    That would be very cool! Original 1999 360hp GT3 motor, lightflywheel, non-PASM coilovers, adjustable swaybars, LSD, lightweight and not too expensive and I'd be VERY interested...



    Way too much power for a Cayman.... It can't overtake a 911......


    The new facelift 997S will have around 380hp though.

    In 1988, the 944 Turbo S was signigicantly faster than the 911...

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    I think a cheap(er) track focused P car around the Pounds50k mark would do amazing business..

    For me that would not make any diff to 911 sales... It would be a natural stepping stone for people who want a GT3 but cant afford the Pounds100k asking price

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Quote:
    RichJ said:
    I think a cheap(er) track focused P car around the Pounds50k mark would do amazing business..


    I agree, but we'd never get the GT3 MkI motor for that price (too expensive to produce)...

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    The cayman line is really being held back.

    The RUF CTR3 is AMAZING and shows what the layout and shape can do (though I understand it a whole NEW chassis).

    We'll wait and see!

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Quote:
    RichJ said:
    I think a cheap(er) track focused P car around the Pounds50k mark would do amazing business..

    For me that would not make any diff to 911 sales... It would be a natural stepping stone for people who want a GT3 but cant afford the Pounds100k asking price



    Yes, I am sure there would be a market for a naked Cayman. I think that could be the way to sell it. With NOTHING. No electric window,no sound insulation. This way it would not compete in any way against a GT3 which can be a daily car.
    Come on Porsche. Cayman + LSD + GT3 MKI engine - "all stuff you do not need on track" = fantastic track toy, provided price remains ok. And this would not likely cannibalize 911s sales.

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Quote:
    Cayman + LSD + GT3 MKI engine - "all stuff you do not need on track" = fantastic track toy, provided price remains ok.



    I'd consider it as a daily driver

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said: With sales figures dropping Porsche may start coming up with some kick ass products .



    How far has Porsche's figures dropped?

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Quote:
    KF said:
    A friend of mine picked up his new Cayman S in Stuttgart this week. While visiting the factory he saw a big camouflaged Cayman with a 4 pipe exhaust system. He is trustable. He don't kidding me. So maybe we see next year a Cayman RS.



    A big camouflaged Cayman? What does big mean? Maybe he saw a camouflaged Panamera

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Quote:
    KF said:
    A friend of mine picked up his new Cayman S in Stuttgart this week. While visiting the factory he saw a big camouflaged Cayman with a 4 pipe exhaust system. He is trustable. He don't kidding me. So maybe we see next year a Cayman RS.



    A big camouflaged Cayman? What does big mean? Maybe he saw a camouflaged Panamera



    thats what i think too...

    sure no Turbo for Cayman, so i doubt there will be an RS.

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    I think they will offer something like a Cayman RS, but my guess is that it won't be labeled "RS" nor will come with signficant power. My speculation is that it will have LSD, perhaps non-PASM adjustable suspension, standard engine with tweaks, and enough minor weight reduction (cloth seats, etc.) to make most 911 owners NOT want one. On the other hand, I would want one; even a modestly focused car would be close enough for me. This is good news, even from the rumor mill.

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Quote:
    KF said:
    A friend of mine picked up his new Cayman S in Stuttgart this week. While visiting the factory he saw a big camouflaged Cayman with a 4 pipe exhaust system. He is trustable. He don't kidding me. So maybe we see next year a Cayman RS.



    A big camouflaged Cayman? What does big mean? Maybe he saw a camouflaged Panamera



    big = very

    Definitely it was not a Panamera. The car was small like a Cayman. The engineers hurried to take off the car again

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    I currently own a C2S Cab., and the only thing which would keep me buying another Porsche would be a Cayman RS, given the GT3 RS are all gone... otherwise the rest of the range are too boring (with the exception of the GT3, but can't buy it with the RS around)...

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    A 360HP Cayman would be a pure Carrera S killer

    Just my 2 cents

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Since Porsche is all about the benjamins these days, and they are diversifying their range a lot (making the 911 less of the major bread and butter car), maybe Stuttgart will begin to think outside the box a little bit and give the Cayman some legs. They obviously have to make the Panamera an exceptional car, or it isn't going to sell...at all.

    So if we all hold hands and chant "Cayman RS"...maybe it will happen. lol

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    I think there is room in the range and pent up demand for a Cayman Club Sport.

    The likely positioning is improved handling via firmer suspension, weight reduction and safety (eg rear roll cage, 6 point harness etc..) rather than increased engine output.

    I expect we'll see something like this in the next 24 months or whenever Cayman sales drop significantly. The current range seems to be doing good business for Porsche at the moment.

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    S1XXR...an August 07 build date for an RS? Is the suspense killing you? I guess you have the 996 version to keep you warm until then. lol

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Quote:
    adrift said:
    S1XXR...an August 07 build date for an RS? Is the suspense killing you? I guess you have the 996 version to keep you warm until then. lol



    Correct on both counts! Was a little slow in ordering the RS (Nov 06) so Porsche have kept me waiting! There again driving the 996RS is a fantastic way to pass the time!

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Pics, Pics,Pics!!!!
    -Joost-

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    The cayman is up to 295 bhp in standard trim. With revised fuel injection i guess it would be around the 310 mark. The current carrera 3.8 with powerkit offers 380 hp , so again with new fuelling this could top over 400. Looking at how the cayenne range has had a power hike from revised fuel injection , i think porsche could get a significant hike across the rest of the range without needing to do anything too dramatic.Tuners seem able to get 320 hp from a 3.2 boxster engine without too much effort , so a lightweight and lightly tuned cayman with 350 hp doesnt seem too much of an unrealistic prospect.Porsche just need to get a move on building it before all their customers start buying audis and BMW's with more power !

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Quote:
    berty987 said:
    Tuners seem able to get 320 hp from a 3.2 boxster engine without too much effort , so a lightweight and lightly tuned cayman with 350 hp doesnt seem too much of an unrealistic prospect.Porsche just need to get a move on building it before all their customers start buying audis and BMW's with more power !



    Exactly I will change my E92 M3 order to the Cayman RS if it does happen...

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    When I was down visiting the Porsche factory this july, I was waiting at the train station in Stuttgart, and it's right by the highway. I heard a loud, raspy flat-6 bombing by. I looked down and it was a Cayman, but it was painted exactly the same as a GT3 RS. The same orange paint, black accents with the black stripe on the bottom saying "Cayman RS", and I think it had a small-ish, useful, wing. I doubt they'd let it out in the open like that if it was really going to look like that, but it did get my imagination going!

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    Quote:
    AndyM said:
    When I was down visiting the Porsche factory this july, I was waiting at the train station in Stuttgart, and it's right by the highway. I heard a loud, raspy flat-6 bombing by. I looked down and it was a Cayman, but it was painted exactly the same as a GT3 RS. The same orange paint, black accents with the black stripe on the bottom saying "Cayman RS", and I think it had a small-ish, useful, wing. I doubt they'd let it out in the open like that if it was really going to look like that, but it did get my imagination going!




    We need proofs man!!!! where are the pictures?

    Re: rumor to Cayman RS

    come on dude... a Cayman RS!!! it would be awesome... I'd trade in my C2S Cab. in heartbeat!

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    576515 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino
     
     
     
     
     
    356413 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    85719 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/4/21 8:01 AM
    bluelines
    43206 328
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35016 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    32639 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/9/21 2:25 PM
    Porker
    14738 297
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4095 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    560619 5257
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/20/20 8:24 AM
    schmoell
    533215 4260
    Porsche Cayman GT4 4/10/21 1:32 PM
    Moser
    400055 3569
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/11/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    354998 3912
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/27/20 4:06 PM
    Topspeed
    352075 3486
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/5/20 9:55 PM
    DaveGordon
    312187 3242
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    309505 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    215036 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    182083 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    160208 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    137919 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 4/11/21 7:38 PM
    Moser
    106793 1993
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    105225 1225
    McLaren F1 2/25/21 11:33 AM
    RCA
    76977 207
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 3/15/21 7:26 PM
    Enmanuel
    69310 1151
    AMG AMG GT R 11/19/20 11:47 PM
    Topspeed
    64427 819
    Lambo Aventador and SV 3/15/21 3:59 PM
    Topspeed
    63293 679
    Porsche 991 Speedster 9/3/20 4:29 PM
    Topspeed
    56251 878
    Porsche Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan 11/23/20 6:10 PM
    Topspeed
    42876 596
    Others Bugatti Chiron 4/10/21 11:02 PM
    bluelines
    36170 475
    Porsche Olive 991.2 GT3 Clubsport 1/1/21 7:58 PM
    throt
    33489 615
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 3/21/21 5:01 PM
    Topspeed
    28526 385
    272 items found, displaying 1 to 30.