Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Info on Turbo Upgrade need advice

Called my dealer today and he said that the turbo upgrade is now available from tequipment and he said the price was KWD 5700 that is 14,920.54 EUR or 19,520.55 USD (Including all parts and labor) My question to him was if i had to change my 20" Sportdesign rims, he said he had to check on that, but i am sure from previous posts on this forum that i have to do that as well. my question to you all is if this upgrade is worth it or not. and how does the price compare to you guys in europe and the states.

Re: New Info on Turbo Upgrade need advice

Fireo: if you do not care about warranty, you can get alot more stuff with tuners with 19.5k. But if you do, there is no other option I honestly think, why do you need the extra hp for a SUV? Get a 911 instead.

The part of this upgrade which I find most interesting are the brakes. The original ones are too weak, and for a car with such weight and power I would be careful using brakes from aftermarket suppliers.

You need different rims, unless you do the following:
    1. get 5 mm spacers for all four wheels if you can find some for the Cayenne (not necessarily from Porsche)
    2. get the Porsche 17 mm spacers for the rear and get 5 mm spacers for the front wheels
    3. get the Porsche 17 mm spacers for the rear and get new 20'' rims for the front wheels (the "official" solution).

It really depends on the build date of your car, if it has the newer generation rims or not. Your dealer can find out very easy.

I have the same dilemma too, I already went for 19'' winter wheels because of the power kit and I soon have to decide on my summer wheel setup.

The brake upgrade is worth gold and the extra power isn't bad either. Of course you could get the brake system as a retrofit (not officially of course) but if the whole package is installed by an official dealer, it won't hurt the warranty.

Yes, for this kind of money you could get something nice from a Tuner. But beware: I heard of several engine modded cars with broken engines and these are not rumours.

And the best part, something a lot of people don't seem to know: along with the powerkit also comes a suspension mod which improves handling. It is a pretty nice performance kit but I wish it was a little bit less expensive.

thanks for the info RC much appreciated.

I am new to the list. Great info here. Am planning on buying a Cayenne Turbo soon. I am strongly considering the Turbo Power Kit, but a) it is pricey for a 50 hp boost and b) the required wheels and suspension mods seem sure to diminish even the mild level of off-road performance I'd like to preserve. Can anybody point me to a site where I can get more detailed info on the various mods? Third party mods are probably not an option, as the only ones I think I'd really trust are Ruf, and their new 100 hp Cayenne turbo mods are going to be even more expensive (not to mention the voided warranty). Any help appreciated.

If you order a new Turbo with powerkit, you don't need any further mods, the car comes with the appropiate rims, suspension mods, everything. If you want to buy a used Cayenne Turbo, you should make sure that you get at least a MY 2004 car due to various improvements.
    Cars built after may or more likely june 2004 also have the appropiate rims for the powerkit, just a little hint.

Aftermarket mods aren't recommended for the Cayenne Turbo because I already know of various broken engines.
    The Cayenne Turbo engine is no 911 Turbo engine, most "classic" Porsche Tuners don't have a clue about tuning it the "right" way. And of course there are warranty issues too...

You trust RUF regarding Cayenne Turbo tuning? Oh well, I better shut up. Alois Ruf is a great guy, very nice and a car enthusiast. If you want some special 993 mods, he's the right guy. But regarding the Cayenne Turbo...well...

Welcome to our forum.

RC,

Thanks for the welcome, as well as the info and opinion, which is, no doubt, more informed than mine. I suppose I was being a bit too optimistic about Ruf, based on limited contact with a few folks who have had great luck with their 911 mods and more extensive contact with those who have had much worse luck with mods from other tuners. I probably overstated this assumption, anyway, as it sounds like they have not done very many Cayennes and I wouldn't necessarily want to be one of the first (of course, the same might be said about Porsche's OEM version).

Anyway, back to my original question, - what I am really seeking is DETAILED info about the various modifications of the Porsche Turbo Power Kit, as ordered on a new vehicle relative to a stock Turbo. Oversized turbos and intercoolers I suppose I can wrap my brain around. However, I would like to know much more about the brake, wheel and suspension modifications, and, in particular, how those mods will affect limited off-road performance. I'm not going mudding in a $100k+ truck, I just need to get through some occasionally muddy pastures and snowy mountain dirt roads. Since I never get a chance to drive anywhere that I might be able to utilize anything near the top end of this vehicle, I can probably find some 19" all season tires that will suit my purposes, but there are issues besides just tire sidewall height an tread design to consider.

Unfortunately, the 2 dealerships closest to me can offer virtually no concrete information. This may be an ignorant question for others on the list, but, I've searched the net every which way I can think of and come up empty. If you can point me to a site to locate such specific info, I'd really appreciate it.

Here's a short list of what is included in the powerkit:
    1. larger intercoolers (turbo chargers stay the same!)
    2. modified motronic software
    3. modified air suspension software
    4. modified wishbones(?), other minor suspension parts
    5. bigger brake system (larger brake discs, calipers, etc.)

Of course this is no detailled description but it is the best thing I can do right now, sorry. I didn't have much time in the past few weeks to brush up with a few new things regarding Porsche.

Do you know whether the new motronic software would reduce the hesitation problem? I noticed that the problem is two fold. First, the throttle response is too slow, which can be improved by having new throttle/fuel mapping in the ECU. Second, the kickdown for gear shift is too deep, ie. you'd have to press the accellerator quite hard and fast to get a proper downshift.

RC,

Thanks for the info. It's more than the dealer can provide. It's hard to imagine trying to sell someone $20k worth of anything and not being able to tell them what's in it. If you run across any more info (or suggestions about where I could look for myself), please pass along. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested, - maybe just one of the few crazy enough to consider spending the money.

20k?... i think most people will choose to go with an aftermarket tuner.

for 10k you can probably get the same power or mroe from RUF/etc.

just a matter if someone wants to stick with OEM/warranty/etc.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    20k?... i think most people will choose to go with an aftermarket tuner.

for 10k you can probably get the same power or mroe from RUF/etc.

just a matter if someone wants to stick with OEM/warranty/etc.

This isn't only about warranty: if I raise power on my car, I have to be sure that it is SAFE and that it has been tested properly. I don't want to have a blown tire at 300 kph, I don't want to have a blown turbo charger (had that on my Lancia Delta HF Integrale, it is funny when the front hood jumps up at around 140 kph and you don't see a thing anymore in front of you), etc.
    The Cayenne Turbo is my family car, I don't want to take ANY risk when modifying it. And right now I don't trust ANY Tuner regarding the Cayenne and especially not RUF.
    I wouldn't even trust my favorite engine tuner, RS-Tuning, regarding the Cayenne Turbo.

RC: These are points well taken. Most of us on this board, I am sure, did many crazy things to and with our cars when we were younger and more carefree, - for myself, only divine providence protected me on more than a dozen occasions when I should have been serious toast because of one of these indiscretions (yes, I've also experienced the "engine self-disassembly" malfunction, complete with locked-up rear end and the driver's side half of the hood in my face, as well).

I may get a chance to drive the Ruf 550hp version later this week, but their prices and your cautions push me toward the OEM PK, - I just wish Porsche would post a detailed explanation of all the "pieces-parts." None of the dealers in this area have the info, nor are they planning on ordering any demo Cayennes with the PK (no surprise, there).

BTW, for those that are interested, I've seen several posters on other forums that have reported (second-hand, IIRC) major problems with other powerkits and chips on the CayenneTT, FWIW. I assume that wouldn't apply to the various exhaust mods, but I'd hate to assume anything anymore.

Does RS-Tuning have a website RC??.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    576640 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino

356580 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/10/21 2:32 PM
    Joost
    85867 1085
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/4/21 8:01 AM
    bluelines
    43253 328
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    35049 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    32676 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/14/21 2:39 PM
    watt
    14879 299
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    4117 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    560834 5257
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/20/20 8:24 AM
    schmoell
    533320 4260
    Porsche Cayman GT4 4/13/21 10:04 AM
    996FourEss
    400768 3585
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/13/21 8:01 AM
    BjoernB
    355283 3915
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/27/20 4:06 PM
    Topspeed
    352186 3486
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/5/20 9:55 PM
    DaveGordon
    312347 3242
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    309543 2646
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    215183 1542
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    182246 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    160247 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    137951 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 4/15/21 1:06 AM