Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: carrera GT turbo

Very well said, Mike. And honestly: I think most people who bash (or try to bash) the CGT have one problem in common: they can't afford one.

It is easy to talk about how Claudia Schiffer is in bed when one is married to Roseanne.

The CGT performed very very very well in the SPORT AUTO test, it has an incredible performance. And the best thing with Porsche cars is: you can use most Porsche cars as daily drivers, I'm not sure this would be possible in a Ferrari Enzo.

But before I start talking about something I don't really know, we should wait until we get back from our CGT driving event.

RC you make two very bad assumptions in one sentence. "Those that bash the car can't afford one."

If there is one thing I have learned in participating on Porsche forums is the taboo is never, never, write anything that may be even remotely critical of Porsche or you will become a basher of the car. This rule applies even though the published fact is not in dispute. Porsche people are passionate about the car and Porsche does not hesistant in exploiting that blind passion.

Your second wrong assumption is those that "bash" the car cannot afford one. Think again. Many of us though car enthusiast still consider practicality and reasonable utility important components in any purchase. You do not need to look any further than your personal experience. Your project to others is not worthy.

Nick, I always criticize Porsche for a lot of things, I guess your assumption is not quite right.
    Look who's trying to make the CGT look bad, is there somebody who could really afford it? People who can afford it, can testdrive it if they wish to. And people who can afford it would usually take that chance and have a closer look at the CGT before starting bashing it.
    Affording the CGT doesn't mean to have the money to buy it (I could buy it too), to be able to afford a CGT is to have the money and not to care about it too much because the CGT is a toy, nothing more and nothing less.

Blind passion? Now you're insulting me. We lost a lot of regular Users because I talked to much about flaws, problems and future disappointments. I always say what I think and we have the freedom that we're a private forum and don't have any sponsors.

RC, people who can afford it CANNOT test drive it. Losing readers because there were negative comments regarding Porsche only reinforces what I wrote. Passionate blindness.

However your point regarding cost is a good one. Affording one means not only having the money to buy one but to treat it as toy and costs be damned. On that we can agree.

From Nick's defensive response, I gather he considers himself a "basher" of the Carrera GT.

In other forums, he conceeds the C-GT is a superlative super car.

I think I have figured out how both can be true at the same time: He's trying to talk down the number of customers so he can buy one at a discount.

Quote:
    Losing readers because there were negative comments regarding Porsche only reinforces what I wrote. Passionate blindness.

this does not only apply to porsche enthusiasts, you'll find these guys with any brand -- ferrari, AMG, corvette, VW, whatever.

but IMO this is not true for rennteam. people who are like this mostly left this forum pretty soon.

IMO this is a very critical and open-minded (and respectful) forum way beyond blind love to any brand.

I dont know this for sure but doesent enzo have 3 or 4 setups at the tuch of the butten wouldnt enzo in the softest suspension, and a 6000 rpm limiter setup be more driveble it has a torqier engine and with softer suspension it should be more confertuble, I remember that when parking his nose rises a few mor centimeter so it would be easier, has any mag tested Enzo in this "street" mode and compered it to cgt, Dont take my word for this I am not to sure but if you have any info please reply. I personaly think CGT is built to be more user friendly, but I have no idea I ve never seen or driven any of them.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    IMO this is a very critical and open-minded (and respectful) forum way beyond blind love to any brand.

I second that 100%, and I value it very much.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Now you're insulting me.

Don't worry about Nick. It's not really personal -- he does that to many forum participants.

He just can't help himself when it comes to discussing the Carrera GT. He refuses to understand anybody who has a different perspective about the car and is prepared to convert you to his "religion" no matter how long it takes. But his tactics are pretty abrasive.

He'll out-grow it when he can buy one for himself. After all, he conceeds it's the best.

OMG Mike, you are perceptive.

Seriously I took a long hard look at the car and decided my limited driving skills can in no way use the car for its intended purpose..a racing machine. I would never track it and there are very few if any venues in my area which would allow me to enjoy the car. Even to hear the engine scream (which as good as it gets) requires enormous acceleration and speed. The alternative is to revv it while sitting.

Just today I had a lengthy discussion with a friend who has a $50,000 deposit for one. He just bought a Stradale. Though he has not decided, his inclination is to try to get out of the CGT. Reason..."where in the hell am I going to use it and they built too many."

I told him (and I believe this) "it is the best Supercar on the planet; warts and all." My friend clearly qualifies as one who can spend the money on the car without blinking an eye.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Seriously I took a long hard look at the car and decided my limited driving skills can in no way use the car for its intended purpose..a racing machine. I would never track it and there are very few if any venues in my area which would allow me to enjoy the car. Even to hear the engine scream (which as good as it gets) requires enormous acceleration and speed. The alternative is to revv it while sitting.

I can respect that Nick, and I would agree, for you a CGT would be a waste of money. But the problem is, you don't respect that it may not be a waste of money for other people. Don't try to look for excuses such as "they think I'm bashing Porsche", etc. Its the trying to impose (REPEADTEDLY) whats good or not for other's that is the problem and you can see how anoying it gets after a while to them.

If a person has the skills to drive it, the money to buy it and willing to take the risk of a long reapir if he crashes it, can track the car or has good highways/twisties to enjoy it to whatever extent he wants, does not look upon supercars as an simple investment, bla, bla, bla... who are you to say they are just wasting the money like if they were stupid? do you think you know whats best for Mike for example better than he himself? just express what you think are the downsides and positve sides of the CGT for you (nobody can criticise you for that) but in turn respect other's view and different situation and be happy for them...

I'm trying to be constructive but I think I'm being too naive to think that this will help matters any

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 8/11/21 2:00 PM
    throt

452160 1287
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 9/24/21 7:30 PM
    WhoopsyM
    167060 1109
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 9/17/21 8:59 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    65560 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 9/24/21 9:12 PM
    blueflame
    54497 525
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    46516 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    43000 380
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    12012 29
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    465563 3586
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 6/25/21 2:56 PM
    the-missile
    384990 3506
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 8/12/21 4:57 PM
    Topspeed
    381427 3918
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    347461 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    317088 2646
    Porsche 992 GT3 9/25/21 12:28 AM
    lexs4
    263047 2977
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/24/21 10:27 PM
    Enmanuel
    250505 1583
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    167503 1379
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    118019 1225
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 9/22/21 1:28 AM
    Leawood911
    101976 749
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 7/5/21 4:30 PM