Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

mclaren mp4-12c in supertest and 0-300-0

Sport auto times.

0-100: 3,4,0-200 9,8 and up to 300kmh in 31 sec..

Ring time 7,28, weight 1473 kmh

overall they liked it, even on the first day they had technical problems..

0-300kmh gt3 rs4.0 41 secs, Veyron super sport 17,9 sec, alpina b5 58,3 sec and cadillac cts-v 57,3 sec

Re: mclaren mp4-12c in supertest and 0-300-0

Conclusion: Much faster than 458 Italia (7.38 NBR, 0-200 10.6) provided it works.

--

"Form follows function"

What are the 0-300 km/h times of the Continental GT and XKR-S? Thank you.

Lamborghini Aventador: 0-300 kph in 24.6 seconds as far as I remember (AMS test)...the McLaren sucks. broken heart

Track time is OK.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Common Rc for 600 hp that is ok in the same range as lp570 up to 300 km/h

I bet a Porsche with 700 hp would take the aventador...

By the way the Jag was with 43 sek quit ok biggest disapointement for me the alpine with 58 sec
    Bentley was with 60 the slowest of those cars

Have any body a 0-300 time for the 458. Wonder why they never give a carr to sportauto highspeed Test

Dario:
    Common Rc for 600 hp that is ok in the same range as lp570 up to 300 km/h

I bet a Porsche with 700 hp would take the aventador...

By the way the Jag was with 43 sek quit ok biggest disapointement for me the alpine with 58 sec
    Bentley was with 60 the slowest of those cars

Have any body a 0-300 time for the 458. Wonder why they never give a carr to sportauto highspeed Test

Thanks.

AMS measured 32,4 s with the Italia on an airfield and 34 at Nardo. Smiley

Ring Clip...
    http://www.skiddplayer.com/video/45169/mp4-12c-the-nordschleife-test

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

GT2 RS is still slightly faster in Hockenheim...not by much though.

You got to love the GT2 RS...it's "outdated" 911 technical design still seems to be up to date (compared to the competition). I remember when people were bragging about the 911's inferior rear engine design.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

You got to love the GT2 RS...it's "outdated" 911 technical design still seems to be up to date (compared to the competition). I remember when people were bragging about the 911's inferior rear engine design.

Well, it has more power and less weight, as well as semi-smick tyres, but I think that Macca has them too. It would be really easy for a top manufacturer like Ferrari or McLaren to produce a track day special edition of the 458 or the 12C and topple the GT2 though. Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

^^^

what he said

+

gt2 rs outdated???Smiley

it's got god knows how many years of 911 evolution behind it,it's the most powerful porsche to date,same to a lesser extent though is true for ferrari and lambo,mclaren on the other hand are at their first (minus the f1) attempt of own road car and are already on par/better...wait till mclaren's rs/scuderia/superlegerra appears 

Yes, 997 chassis = outdated. We are on the 991 now.

By the time the McLaren's RS/scuderia/superlegera appear, a more powerful, S-PDK fitted, much improved 991 chasis 991GT2 will appear, which will leave them back to square one at the track, at probably even a greater distance than now against a 997 

--

The trouble with the obsession about lap times at either the 'ring or some of these other circuits is that it is creating the very type of cars people here are railing against - those that are devoid of feel, excitement, driver involvement and have too many chassis electronic control aids. These devices are necessary to ensure the high speed cornering ability necessary to smash previous lap records. At the rate things are going in terms of electronic chassis aids development  it won't be long before a novice driver can equal the time of a racing driver from a few years ago on the same circuit without breaking sweat. Just look at the time the fully chassis optioned 991 C2S is said to have achieved versus it's immmediate 997 GT3 predecessor.

I find it amusing to see 'ring times being quoted with real fervour on one hand then the cars being slated on the other for lacking feel at normal road speeds. You simply can't have it both ways. A car set up to run extremely safely above 270 kmh + isn't going to feel taxed when doing under 130 kmh. I really don't see the fascination with these times as by far the greatest proportion of owners will never get close to replicating them and those who are serious about trackdays will usually buy a lighter, track focused car like a Radical or the BAC Mono etc. It is getting to the silly point where over enthusiastic owners are taking offence at independent testers not being able to replicate the times set by factory test drivers who have spent countless hours behind the wheel of "their" creations and therefore know exactly how to get the best out of them.

Toyota and Subaru appear to have accepted this fact with their new jointly developed Celica model which has reportedly gone down the lower power, light weight, smaller wheel route to bring back the fun factor to everyday driving. Perhaps it's time for the wider car enthusiast population to accept the wisdom of this decision and allow other manufacturers to give up on the power and speed wars and concentrate on the back to basics fun factor.

So true. kiss

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

ISUK:

The trouble with the obsession about lap times at either the 'ring or some of these other circuits is that it is creating the very type of cars people here are railing against - those that are devoid of feel, excitement, driver involvement and have too many chassis electronic control aids. These devices are necessary to ensure the high speed cornering ability necessary to smash previous lap records. At the rate things are going in terms of electronic chassis aids development  it won't be long before a novice driver can equal the time of a racing driver from a few years ago on the same circuit without breaking sweat. Just look at the time the fully chassis optioned 991 C2S is said to have achieved versus it's immmediate 997 GT3 predecessor.

I find it amusing to see 'ring times being quoted with real fervour on one hand then the cars being slated on the other for lacking feel at normal road speeds. You simply can't have it both ways. A car set up to run extremely safely above 270 kmh + isn't going to feel taxed when doing under 130 kmh. I really don't see the fascination with these times as by far the greatest proportion of owners will never get close to replicating them and those who are serious about trackdays will usually buy a lighter, track focused car like a Radical or the BAC Mono etc. It is getting to the silly point where over enthusiastic owners are taking offence at independent testers not being able to replicate the times set by factory test drivers who have spent countless hours behind the wheel of "their" creations and therefore know exactly how to get the best out of them.

Toyota and Subaru appear to have accepted this fact with their new jointly developed Celica model which has reportedly gone down the lower power, light weight, smaller wheel route to bring back the fun factor to everyday driving. Perhaps it's time for the wider car enthusiast population to accept the wisdom of this decision and allow other manufacturers to give up on the power and speed wars and concentrate on the back to basics fun factor.

The GT2RS has hardly gone down the route of the Nissan GT-R for example, yet the GT2RS still remains the faster car around the Nring among its competitors, while being RWD, manual, and unadulterated by excessive electronics... and remains a perfect track car as well and well as a GT3RS. Its not that black and white. Of course a C2S is going to be easier to drive than a GT3, thats the point, because they are to different customers looking for different things, the point about the 991C2S matching the lap time of the 997GT3 is to tell you how much better the 991 type is over its predecesor, but there will still be a 991GT3 which will give you the GT3 experience only with even better performance.

Most who look at NRing time here also take many considerations when looking at a Nring time and how to value it. As discussed in another thread a Boxster Spyder may be slower than a Panamera Turbo but that doesn't mean that the Panamera Turbo is a better "sportcar". You have to take the vehicle and its characteristics into account, when you look at the engine power figures (along with its drivre train, etc) for the Boxster Spyder you realise that its Nring lap time tells you that on the contrary, it should be an very agile, well handling and "fun" sportcar to drive. NRing lap times cannot be looked at alone and aret be compared like that among vehicles. 

NRing lap times can be very usefull to the regular owner if you know how to look at them, just like top speed or 0-300 acceleration figures may be usefull to know even though you may never take it to the those speeds. In fact track times are much better indicators than the simple acceleration figures about the car. Doens't matter if the owner is going to replicate those track times himself. 

Any maker can pump out HP from an engine, that is easy, the hard part is making that car faster around a track, HP alone won't do it. If anything, by customers looking at lap times, motivates the manufacturers to make sportier cars, not the other way around. Just look at american cars tradictionally compared to european cars, americans were alwasy more focused on acceleration times, and europeans on lap times. Result is that american cars had big engines but were heavy and could not handle, while euorpean cars were the opposite, especially Porsche. Ever since GM-Chevrolet started focusing on the Nurburgring and its lap times, look at how the Corvette transformed into a different sportcar int he last two generations. Now it handles much better than previous generations, and it can be a track car with great success, YET this was not achieved by making it AWD with intrusive electronic aids and easy to drive.

--

Agree with ISUK...this si so true

If you are not a professional driver, pleasure is what it is about as speed is now accessible to a wider range of car makers.

The ecoty is as such more and more relevant as it focuses on driving pleasure whatever the performance/price of the car.

MP4 is faster than the RS 4.0 but the later won the 2011 Evo car of the year

Carlos,

I can see your point and I didn't make mention of the Porsche GT series cars as up until now they have remained true to a basic philosophy where skill is required to extract their full performance potential. However can you honestly see the 991 generation of GT3 and GT2 models achieving the sort of incremental leap the 991 C2S has taken on it's 'ring time without Porsche resorting to more sophisticated chassis aids for them? If they can it will quite some achievement.

ISUK:

Carlos,

I can see your point and I didn't make mention of the Porsche GT series cars as up until now they have remained true to a basic philosophy where skill is required to extract their full performance potential. However can you honestly see the 991 generation of GT3 and GT2 models achieving the sort of incremental leap the 991 C2S has taken on it's 'ring time without Porsche resorting to more sophisticated chassis aids for them? If they can it will quite some achievement.

I agree, I'm sure there will be some type of increase on aids, I guess S-PDK could be considered one of them over the traditional manual gearbox for example or PTV, but I'm confident that they will still remain amongst the most enjoyable and rewarding to drive "of their class", while still being the fastest around NR/HH per HP. PASM for example is an electronic sophistication over the traditional shocks, yet the 997GT3/GT2 have lost nothing by using them. Same with PSM on the later GT3/2 models.

The only thing I'm worried about in that sense is the new electric steering (at least for the Carrera models), but I wait till I can test one to reach a conclusion, there is a trend appearing on the first press test drives but thats not very reliable. I also had my doubts about the variable-ration steering introduced in the 997 and comented heavily on it here at the time, but my doubts went away with the first test drive.

--

REALZEUS:
    RC:

Well, it has more power and less weight, as well as semi-smick tyres, but I think that Macca has them too. It would be really easy for a top manufacturer like Ferrari or McLaren to produce a track day special edition of the 458 or the 12C and topple the GT2 though. Smiley

The GT2RS is not a "track day special edition". This car can be used as a daily driver (I actually do it). A 458 or the MP412C are less suitable as daily drivers as a GT2RS, to be frank with you.

Not true for the mp4. It's clearance and suspension is leaps ahead to the gt2 rs for comfort and access mksgr..

GT:
    Not true for the mp4. It's clearance and suspension is leaps ahead to the gt2 rs for comfort and access mksgr..

The clearance is better (ramps etc.) - that is true. The McLaren is also more comfortable in comfort mode, also true.

But then:

- entering the car... you need a lot of "flexibility" each time Smiley

- reduced trunk space...

- reliability...

- dealer network...

- lack of experience with high-mileage cars...

In summary: I would not be willing to use the McLaren as a daily driver Smiley However, I can confirm that a GT2 or GT2RS is just perfect for that purpose Smiley

MKSGR:
    I can confirm that a GT2 or GT2RS is just perfect for that purpose Smiley

What tires do you use on the GT2 throughout the year?

Ferdie:
    MKSGR:

Sport Cup in the summer... And SottoZero in the winter Smiley

MKSGR:
    Ferdie:
    MKSGR:

... but I assume you use a different car at rainy days while the Cup tires are on the car? Smiley

Ferdie:
    MKSGR:
    Ferdie:
    MKSGR:

... but I assume you use a different car at rainy days while the Cup tires are on the car? Smiley

I discovered that very, very few days (here in Germany) are that rainy... And even if you have to travel with a max speed of 80kph from time to time (Smiley) you still feel good as you have all that fun the rest of the time Smiley

MKSGR:

And even if you have to travel with a max speed of 80kph from time to time (Smiley) you still feel good as you have all that fun the rest of the time Smiley

Look at the bright side of life... Smiley

So I guess you never considered switching to the regular Pilot Sport (or Super Sport from now on)?

Ferdie:
    MKSGR:

And even if you have to travel with a max speed of 80kph from time to time (Smiley) you still feel good as you have all that fun the rest of the time Smiley

Look at the bright side of life... Smiley

So I guess you never considered switching to the regular Pilot Sport (or Super Sport from now on)?

No, not really Smiley

indecision

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 5/18/22 6:36 PM
    Pilot

586738 1306
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 6/8/22 4:41 PM
    Topspeed
    224367 1180
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 6/24/22 5:27 PM
    TB993tt
    116160 1055
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/29/22 8:01 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    110260 406
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 1/3/22 7:55 AM
    Rossi
    91121 531
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 1/15/22 10:41 PM
    watt
    31977 1
    Porsche Cayman GT4 10/5/21 7:04 PM
    Topspeed
    514552 3587
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 9/28/21 3:25 AM
    WhoopsyM
    430164 3507
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/1/22 10:14 PM
    SSO.
    426995 3954
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/21 5:18 PM
    Rossi
    390769 3256
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 2/1/22 9:49 AM
    RCA
    372760 2655
    Porsche 992 GT3 6/26/22 9:49 PM
    TB993tt
    357981 3655
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 9/29/21 1:59 AM
    watt
    291578 1587
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 2/10/22 9:08 PM
    Topspeed
    138914 772
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 6/26/22 1:34 AM
    WhoopsyM
    136712 1389
    McLaren F1 7/10/21 7:43 AM
    BiTurbo
    111600 209
    AMG AMG GT R 3/13/22 8:52 PM