Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Corvette 4 seconds faster than 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 at Virginia Int'l

Pretty incredible for $56k:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/20/2014-corvette-stingray-does-0-60-in-3-8-seconds-1-03g-on-the-sk/

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/virginia_international_raceway.html

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Re: New Corvette 4 seconds faster than 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 at Virginia Int'l

Grant, do you buy the time given it beats many well known major sport cars which have more power and weigh the same or less? I don't. I could understand it if the track was short and twisty. The time is on their major track  which is over four miles long. HP and weight increasingly become a factor in a longer course. 

I highly doubt it.

Despite the doubtful time, the Stingray is about $90,000 cheaper than the GT3 I am waiting to order. What is particularly troublesome to me is more than likely it will be as fast as the GT3 AND have GM warranty backing it for use in DE and track events. It does make you think twice as to whether one is making the right decision in buying the GT3.

nberry:

Grant, do you buy the time given it beats many well known major sport cars which have more power and weigh the same or less? I don't. I could understand it if the track was short and twisty. The time is on their major track  which is over four miles long. HP and weight increasingly become a factor in a longer course. 

The Corvette LT1 6.2L V-8 engine has 460 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 465 lb-ft of torque at 4,600 rpm with the factory optional performance exhaust system. It weighs about 3300lbs. So yes, its totally reasonable that it will be embarrassing owners of a certain brand who pay extra for matching paint on  their key fobs.

Torque matters.

Jim, have you looked at the cars it is besting. Many have substantially more hp and weigh less. All one can assume is that driver is the dominant factor and not the car.

What they don't have is the massive torque that the vette has from low to high rpms. After 100mph torque really matters even more so for long courses higher torque is the winning edge.

Most also don't have the latest tires. The 2014 vette tires are Michelins designed by Michelins chief racing tire engineer.

Reminds me of an old saying about torque winning races while horsepower sells cars.

Not entirely a believer myself, but I do find it entertaining.

JimFlat6:

What they don't have is the massive torque that the vette has from low to high rpms. After 100mph torque really matters even more so for long courses higher torque is the winning edge.

Most also don't have the latest tires. The 2014 vette tires are Michelins designed by Michelins chief racing tire engineer.

And they are   run flats to boot, which none of its sports cars competitors, esp Porsche, use.

I'm surprised how many have forgotten this statement: Horsepower is a number that tells you how fast a car can go...torque is how fast it can get there. 

This car is tempting as the price is so good that one does not mind the depreation , nor having it as a garage queen , all that making it up for the ' bad image' it has and the lack of ' subtlety ' in it's look. The performance on a track does wonders and the perfect weight distribution makes it a lot of fun .

Maybe I should consider it, save lots of money and still have lots of fun . I'll just have to hide under a wig when driving around the neighborhood indecision

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

This car is tempting as the price is so good that one does not mind the depreation , nor having it as a garage queen , all that making it up for the ' bad image' it has and the lack of ' subtlety ' in it's look. The performance on a track does wonders and the perfect weight distribution makes it a lot of fun .

Maybe I should consider it, save lots of money and still have lots of fun . I'll just have to hide under a wig when driving around the neighborhood indecision

I think for a (modern) Corvette, this seventh version looks really good. I haven't seen it in flesh so far, but from the pics I really like it. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

If only they would reduce the backend size. I think that is the styling issue with the car. Otherwise for the money, nothing comes close to it.

nberry:

If only they would reduce the backend size. I think that is the styling issue with the car. Otherwise for the money, nothing comes close to it.

Now they just need to change the image of the car in Europe and they could actually be successful with it over here. Not easy though...not sure why. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Heist:

I'm surprised how many have forgotten this statement: Horsepower is a number that tells you how fast a car can go...torque is how fast it can get there. 

That was more true back when cars had 3 or 4 gears in the transmission and engines redlined at 5k.  F1 cars "get there" with VERY little torque (but high redlines and 7 close gears make them rocketships, along with high hp).  I think a modern F1 car has ~ 200ft-lbs of torque., about the same as a 2.7L Boxster non-S.

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Torque versus horsepower: doesn't it depend a bit on which you like to have fun with?

Obviously a strong consideration would be relative to your local (or regional) roads.

agree 100%... I have not seen the car in  person, 90% of car looks great in pics....... not the rear   Mid 80's TASmiley

Rossi:
    Gnil:

I think for a (modern) Corvette, this seventh version looks really good. I haven't seen it in flesh so far, but from the pics I really like it. Smiley

Four pipes and the tail lamps make it look cartoonish when viewed in person.  The build quality still falls short of the exacting standards found on a Porsche; however, given the price barely covers a Boxster, some exceptions can be made.  

How is the "reputation" of the Corvette in the US? I am curious.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

Perfect if you're a young guy who thinks he's cooler than he is or if you're 50+ years old.

noone1:
    RC:

Perfect if you're a young guy who thinks he's cooler than he is or if you're 50+ years old.

OK, this doesn't sound really "good"? Smiley

--

RC:
    noone1:
    RC:

OK, this doesn't sound really "good"? Smiley

Real car guys like the vintage vettes (50's/60's) along with the latest Z06/ZR1. Posers usually like the usual European brands - Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. The same can be said about watches. Those who aren't very knowledgable just buy Rolex because that's the only brand they know.

For me, they all have their merits. I'm confident enough not to care about other's feelings.....

Wish GM hadn't used the Camaro rear lights on the new one BUT will still test drive one.

The guys I know who drive vintage vettes over here are usually those who love cars but cannot drive fast. angry

Those who drive Z06 an ZR1 over here, may know how to drive but don't have a clue about the competition (I made a ZR1 owner cry...in a Panamera Turbo S...which was kind of embarrassing for everybody involved, especially since that guy was the father of my son's best friend angry).

I don't know about the US but in Europe, those driving a Porsche are usually not posers but I agree that the poser percentage of Ferrari and Lamborghini owners is usually higher.

Speaking of Rolex: Many buy a Rolex because it keeps a certain value over time, it is a classic. Like the Porsche 911. 

--

Don't want to get too far off topic here.

RC - The driving/car scene is much different over here in the USA. You just can't go around driving as fast as you'd like - without ending in jail ASAP!!! I got rid of my 997 Turbo because it was boring to drive slow - no engine/exhaust noise and the turbo didn't provide any visceral feeling to me. At least with a proper naturally aspirated engine, it still feels good to drive, even slowly.

As for Rolex - my gold Daytona is worth more than I paid for it. But that wasn't why I bought it. 

The Vette isn't for everyone - especially oversees. But IMO, they have somewhat turned the corner lately, offering a good performance/value. I like the new one - except for the tail lights. But haven't seen it in person yet.

I don't know too many car nuts here that wouldn't like to own a 1967 427c.i.  Vette or Shelby Cobra.  Does that make them incompetent drivers?

Typical new corvette buyer is in his 50's and earns 250K a year or so GM says. I doubt they put a lot of miles on them or drive them hard. They like to stare at them in their garage and smugly imagine that they kept someone else from getting that particular car, they also like to buy big houses on small lots. Go figure...

Typical new 911 Porsche buyer is in the US is in his 40's, likely a passive aggressive cat herding IT manager who was a geek in school and was ignored by girls. He still doesn't get any girls. Tries too hard, comes across as a D bag. 911 is his p/a badge.Its the effete choice of the IT elite.

Both brands have their social issues. If anything, Porsche needs a car to sell to the under 35 crowd or its brand perception will just sink deeper into Cayenne wife territory.  FWIW the Panamera is for retirees and the Boxster has no cultural legs and usually its older people seen in used 911's.

Sorry to say, but thats what it seems like when you live near Microsoft HQ and Google North.

JimFlat6:

Typical new corvette buyer is in his 50's and earns 250K a year or so GM says. I doubt they put a lot of miles on them or drive them hard. They like to stare at them in their garage and smugly imagine that they kept someone else from getting that particular car, they also like to buy big houses on small lots. Go figure...

Typical new 911 Porsche buyer is in the US is in his 40's, likely a passive aggressive cat herding IT manager who was a geek in school and was ignored by girls. He still doesn't get any girls. Tries too hard, comes across as a D bag. 911 is his p/a badge.Its the effete choice of the IT elite.

Both brands have their social issues. If anything, Porsche needs a car to sell to the under 35 crowd or its brand perception will just sink deeper into Cayenne wife territory.  FWIW the Panamera is for retirees and the Boxster has no cultural legs and usually its older people seen in used 911's.

Sorry to say, but thats what it seems like when you live near Microsoft HQ and Google North.

Somehow this sounds so true...

JimFlat6:

Wow, highly interesting reading about cultural (car) differences. Smiley

D-bags usually drive oldtimers over here...or drive a wannabe sports car, like a Mercedes SL. Smiley

Just kidding, the typical geeks in the past usually don't even have a car over here or maybe ride a motorcycle or usually a bike. Smiley We actually never had that "typical" geek in the past but according to my kids, they have geeks in their school but I'm not sure how they behave to be recognized. I actually learned about the word "geek" in US tv shows. Smiley

--

RC:
    JimFlat6:

Wow, highly interesting reading about cultural (car) differences. Smiley

D-bags usually drive oldtimers over here...or drive a wannabe sports car, like a Mercedes SL. Smiley

Just kidding, the typical geeks in the past usually don't even have a car over here or maybe ride a motorcycle or usually a bike. Smiley We actually never had that "typical" geek in the past but according to my kids, they have geeks in their school but I'm not sure how they behave to be recognized. I actually learned about the word "geek" in US tv shows. Smiley

Just drive what ever you want to drive - who cares what anyone else thinks.

RC:

It is mostly purchased by people over 60 years old (who remember them from the 1960's).  Otherwise, it is often associated as being owned by gold chain wearing folks with less than sophisticated taste.

However, since the Z06 of 2001, it has gained a much better reputation among sports car people (particularly at the race tracks).  They are considered excellent on the performance per $ ratio and they are fast.

They still have a much lower status symbol appeal than European cars (but getting better).

--

Grant:
    RC:

It is mostly purchased by people over 60 years old (who remember them from the 1960's).  Otherwise, it is often associated as being owned by gold chain wearing folks with less than sophisticated taste.

However, since the Z06 of 2001, it has gained a much better reputation among sports car people (particularly at the race tracks).  They are considered excellent on the performance per $ ratio and they are fast.

They still have a much lower status symbol appeal than European cars (but getting better).

Interestingly, the Windy City Corvette Club members, while older, differ substantially from the perceived image of the typical Corvette owner.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    815000 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453544 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273807 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92329 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9907 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

892982 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    853975 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM