Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997.2 PDK, 4300Km driving report

Some of you might know I received in middle August my 997 PDK Cab2. Since then I´ve made 4300Km and wanted to share with you all, some thoughts about what have been a great one month ownership experience.
    There have been lots of  reports like this regarding the 997.2, this is just one more, no big news here, just a personal point of you.

Car pick up.
    I pick up the car on a Saturday and took my six old son with me. The deliver process was a mess, car was not in the proper delivery place, it took forever to have the plates, there were some dirty on the steering wheel, and I don´t even mention the fact I had to make final calculations regarding my leasing. My dealer was in vacation, and came just to deliver the car, he thought his colleagues had treated everything, but nobody knew anything, really a shame for Porsche rep. This events took out some of the enjoyment of buying a brand new product, you all know the felling I´m talking about. Sales guy who was very helpful and friendly thru all this buying process, beg me not to mention all this problems on evaluation process, Porsche is going to make, and I´ll be a good boy to protect his name, but will have to mention some facts.
    Here´s my son next to one of two GT3 delivered to the new best driving school in Europe, these guys have two 997.2 GT3, Cayman, Nissan GTR, Modena CuP car and many others sports car. Will make a curse there soon.

Break in.
    I tried to make the break in by the book, which was impossible. Sometimes I´ve passed the 4000rpm mark, but not by much. I´ve made some long trip and tried to explore the rev band. In 7th gear at 245kph, engine runs at 4000rpm, and I tried to keep it for a while at those speeds and then went to 3000 / 2000rpm, then back to 4000rpm.
    For the first km, when driving at night, while accelerating, I could saw some smoke from my car, just like when you accelerate on a diesel car. I knew this car makes more soot than previous M96 engines, but never thought it could be noticeable like on a diesel car. Anyway, after 1500Km this light smoke(you could only notice it at night, while looking at the rear mirror, on the lights from car behind you) disappeared completely, and it doesn´t make it any more. 
    Oil consumption after 4300Km, is zero.

Comfort
    My car has standard PASM suspension which is hard enough for me in normal mode. The ride is firm but not uncomfortable for this kind of sport car. Inside, cabin noise is just a bit over the top at +140Kph. Tire noise together with soft-top , makes this toy noisier than expected. On concrete pavements it’s even worse, the tires just scream. At the beginning I thought it was from the P Zero my car came with, but after a search, I could see some owners complaining about road noise apart from each tire brand they were using. Anyway P zero must emphasize this problem.
    On long (highway speed) trips, if you want to maintain a conversation with your wife, the “hummmm” from exhaust (which is great if you´re playing alone with the beast) together with tire noise and wind whistle from soft top, can become tiresome.
    With top down it´s perfect, with no buffeting at all, even at high speeds the cabin it´s very well protected. Bose sound system is great, with top down you still hear clearly all frequencies. Having your kid on the back seat asking you to drop the top, and then put his hands on the air while shaking his head to the sound of the beat is priceless, this alone paid the car Smiley, gosh I love to make rides with him, he has as much fun as I do Smiley.

Handling
    A little understeer is always present on thigh corners which is not pleasant, but if you transfer the weight for the rear axle while steering, and only then, applied gas, it will put you in full control, and then you just have to play with throttle in order to make a fast and clean line or just power slide the thing and have a blast on way out of the curve. Contrary to what have been said, I find the steering to be very communicative and precise, but the steering wheel itself could be just a tinny little smaller, diameter it´s to big for my taste. I´m 1,91Mts, it would be a good way to gain some space. On windy days at 140Kph /160Kph, you have to make constant steering corrections in order to have the car in place, wasn´t expecting this car to be so sensitive to side winds. On wide curves where you can test the g´s forces, it´s very safe, predictable and tells you what is going on under the wheels. When it starts to loose grip, you feel it immediately, and you can slide gently till PSM “catch” you. PSM lets you play a little, it doesn´t cut power as soon as one wheel looses grip, it´s tuned for fun and seems to guess when you´re going to need it, but I actually like to switch off completely(for those special moments) Smiley
    It handles better than the 996, but for having the same fun I had with 996, I have to go faster, the damn thing sticks like glue.

Exhaust note.
    On many forums, on every 10 posts, there is one who refers to make an exhaust upgrade, all in order to boost the exhaust sound. Many of you don´t seem satisfy with 997.2 stock system. Well, I´ll be 100% sincere, first time I step on throttle with this car, I was like “WOW”… I could almost say the stock exhaust sound, is very close to 996 PSE I had, not as loud, but still close and some how more refined. As soon as you step on throttle the sound is deep and it fills the cabin, it´s MORE than enough for my ears. The roar between 2000rpm till 5000rpm is excellent and at high revs +6500rpm, it makes a delicious crispy sound, like a scream, which is music to my ears, I really don´t need more than this regarding exhaust sound. I believe Cabs always reward you with an overall speed and sound sensations greater than the coupe, which is simply to understand. With top down you seem to be closer from the “elements”, it´s great to feel the smell from the “melted” engine , hot clutch and flamed brakes Smiley

PDK
    You can love it or hate it, but nobody can deny, this piece of high tech gearbox is a work of art. It gives you the ability to drive the car in several different manners. Whatever  your mood is, there´s a way PDK can adapt to it… Feeling nervous!!! Use normal auto mode, it´s so smooth and boring you´ll calm down… Stressed!!! make some upshifts at 7200rpm on manual SP+, it will put a smile on your faceSmiley… Relaxed!!! let the beast driving you in auto sport mode… Want to have fun!!! make some manual downshifts and upshifts at 4000rpm with full throttle and see what happens…. Want the adrenaline to takes over!!! auto SP+ and PASM hard setting. Want to play Tiff Needlle, SP+ manual and PSM off… Want to impress your friends!!! use L.control and make two curves with PSM off…and so on. I am thrilled with PDK. In auto normal mode, it works even better than my X5 auto box. Sport mode is perfect for everyday driving. You can choose manually which gear you want , even when you are in full auto mode, which is a great feature, you are always in control, even in full auto mode(normal, SP or SP+). The fact it doesn´t have torque converter, gives the exact feeling a manual box gives while accelerating. When you downshift, it rev match perfectly with a nice sound to it. Never had an auto sports car in my life, all of them were manual, this is the first one I have, but I´m very happy with it. Have to confess I find myself driving in auto mode more than I ever imagine, but it´s also part of the new driving approach PDK provides, and whenever I want to explore the 385Hp (which seems more like +400hp) I switch on the manual SP+ and it makes you feel totally connected , with funny upshifts kicks on the back at high revs , simply great.
    It auto mode it adapts immediately to your driving style. As an example, you can have the 7th engage at 70Kph/80Kph, or engage at 180/200Kph depending the way you use the throttle. You can check this easily when you pay a toll and have a long straight to play with throttle . On mountain roads it also adapts immediately to your driving pace.
    I don’t have any problem with the buttons, but agree with others who say the paddles are more intuitive for most drivers. Using the stick is also fun, although I would prefer to upshifts/pull . My car is a July 09 build, so it doesn´t have the small bugs first PDK units had, it works perfectly, congrats Porsche.

Overall features I wasn´t expecting, good and bad.
    The good ones:
    Dynamic lights are great with very defined and clear light.
    Standard Exhaust sounds very good.
    PDK is even better than I imagine.
    It seems to have more than claimed 385Hp.
    Rear and front leds look great.
    The ownership pleasure is getting better and better everyday Smiley

The bad ones
    Low ride, stiffness from PASM and 19” wheels makes it not a very good daily driver.
    Noisier than expect for long trips.
    Tire roar from P zero.
    Soft top should be better than previous 996 series, and it isn´t.

I´m dyeing to take my car to circuit, this is the proper place to fully test it properly. I use to make some track days with my previous 996, it makes you love this toys even more.

J.Seven

Re: 997.2 PDK, 4300Km driving report

Wonderful report - thanks for sharing your views  Cheers

--

Rennteam Moderator - 997.1 C2S Coupe GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Thanks for the impressions. I am very happy with my car too, after 12.500kms with more or less the same findings.

The standard exhaust sound experience is very good on the cabrios but on the coupes it's very muted and the PSE (or similar) is required. Also the PSE (no matter what it is officially stated) changes the performance in both modes. The revs rise more freely after 4.000rpm.

I am also glad that you like the PDK. It seems that the only people who knock this marvelous transmission are people who don't own a PDK car.That in itself says a lot!

A point that we differ is the ride quality. I find the car's ride very comfortable for its type and more so my passengers (at the front of course!). And mind you, our roads here may not be the worst but they are far from billiard-table smooth. The tyres are Michelin PS2 if that makes any difference. However, these tyres are very average in standing water and this is their biggest weakness.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

Very well written, thanks for sharing the report. You live in the perfect country for a cabriolet

--

Great write-up! thanks for sharing

--

Thanks.

I have now 20'000  km on mine and , I have to confess, that at the moment it would be very hard to go back to a 6 speed manual for my everyday car.   ( I can't believe I am writting this!!!!!!!!!!! ) just as you have describedit, PDK alows you to have many different cars in one. I does need a few improvement, that hopefully we will get witht he next generation.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Excellent report. Thanks!

Re handling... You say: "... but if you transfer the weight for the rear axle while steering, and only then, applied gas, it will put you in full control, and then you just have to play with throttle in order to make a fast and clean line..." Rear weight transfer requires throttle. If you turn smoothly with trail braking and smooth-progressive throttle application the 997S rotates beautifully without under-or-over-steering.

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S (ordered). Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

ADias:

Rear weight transfer requires throttle. If you turn smoothly with trail braking and smooth-progressive throttle application the 997S rotates beautifully without under-or-over-steering. 

Or lifting of the throttle Smiley

I used to drive my 997.1 Carrera S like this. Lift of the throttle in a corner slightly, rear of the car starts to slide and you catch the front end grip.; then you give some throttle and car starts to oversteer beautifully Smiley

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)

great  report  J. Neves and congratulations again for your new p-car!!! 

PDK is PDK!!! 

--

pride355:
    ADias:

Rear weight transfer requires throttle. If you turn smoothly with trail braking and smooth-progressive throttle application the 997S rotates beautifully without under-or-over-steering. 

Or lifting of the throttle Smiley

I used to drive my 997.1 Carrera S like this. Lift of the throttle in a corner slightly, rear of the car starts to slide and you catch the front end grip.; then you give some throttle and car starts to oversteer beautifully Smiley

Strange setup you got there. In my cars... lift throttle, rear loses grip and car oversteers. Apply throttle, rear squats and grips, car may understeer. Combination of trail braking and smooth, progressive, throttle app leads to fast cornering.

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S (ordered). Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

Carlos from Spain:

Thanks you all for the complements Smiley.

Carlos, the 997S still fills your heart, or are we going to have a new toy soon in your garage Smiley

J.Seven

reginos:

A point that we differ is the ride quality. I find the car's ride very comfortable for its type and more so my passengers (at the front of course!). And mind you, our roads here may not be the worst but they are far from billiard-table smooth. The tyres are Michelin PS2 if that makes any difference. However, these tyres are very average in standing water and this is their biggest weakness.

I don´t think it´s uncomfortable either, but for dd it can become tiresome after some time.

J.Seven

ADias:

Excellent report. Thanks!

Yes , rear weght transfer requires throtlle,that´s what I´ve said, you point the car, and then aply gas , there you are Smiley

J.Seven

J.Seven:
    Carlos from Spain:

Thanks you all for the complements Smiley.

Carlos, the 997S still fills your heart, or are we going to have a new toy soon in your garage Smiley

J.Seven

The 997S-20mm still does it for me... at least until they come out with a GT3 with rear seats   I drive it every chance I get and I have put 90,000 very enjoyable western Iberian peninsula kilometers already on the 997S

Looking foward to reading your impressions of the new baby at the track Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765769 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437465 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261493 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258298 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82842 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5336 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877667 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810039 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM