Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    I know the 7 Series is no sports car but a lot of sports car owners also own a BMW 7 series as a daily driver, so I thought I'd mention it.
    Not much changed on the engine front, there are some enhancements but the most powerful engine, the V12, is still at the same power level. There have been rumours of a 500+ HP 7 Series but it seems: no such thing.

    Check for yourself: (the picture showing two cars shows the newer one on the upper picture).
    The facelifted 7 Series should be available starting April 2005.

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    2.

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    3.

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    RC you beat me to it .

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    I though BMW learnt the lesson of the 7-series styling mistake and would correct that in the facelift, instead they did a slightly different version of the same Bangle disaster

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    There is no limit for ugliness . As you said, after few years Bangle and his team managed to come up with uglier design IMO than the original one.

    I'm really surprised that BMW sells this crap .

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    HA.
    It actually looks OLDER than the previous version.
    Now that's an achievement

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    I agree. Just a bit uglier. What Bmw should have done is remove the stupid boot and put one that actually fits on the damn car.

    It still looks like Bmw used the boot from another car and glue it to the 7-series.

    What I can't understand is how a car with a design like that can be approuved by Bmw and put into production. Don't they asked anyone about the design of a new car before production?

    I used to love bmw's. Now, bmw's looks so bad I would not want to be caught dead in one.

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    There is no limit for ugliness . As you said, after few years Bangle and his team managed to come up with uglier design IMO than the original one.

    I'm really surprised that BMW sells this crap .



    OOGLY

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    I had a '98 740i. TREMENDOUS!! They changed styles and I went to the M3.Loved it until I test drove and now have on order a 997s. Maybe I should send Chris Bangle a thank you note!

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    Funny thing is, those same people knocking the Bangle butt for the past few years will praise the same rear trunk style coming on next year's new S class . On the MBZ boards, they are saying kinder things like " well it's on the ( ugly as hell ) Maybach, so I'll just have to get used to it "

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    The facelift is worse than the original one.

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    The new S-Class should be a market leader. Its not hard to get used to the looks of a Mercedes, better than the hard to swallow lines of current BMW's, over-ambitious styling of Ferrari's, (albeit they are nice) or the one-style historical design philosophy of Porsche...

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    There's an unbelievable amount of BMW-bashers on this board, no wonder we don't have a BMW Board

    I think the facelift looks better than the old one, I'll give them that. And it's now a car I would consider buying in this segment. (But I expect the new S-class to blow it away this fall....)

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series



    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    Looking very good. I never like the old E65 but this is a great update. Gorgeous

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    Quote:
    There's an unbelievable amount of BMW-bashers on this board, no wonder we don't have a BMW Board



    erm, i LOVE bangle's BMWs.

    BMW is setting the pace, all others are just following.

    - bangle BMWs look better they older they get. you have to get used to them, but it works. and they never get boring, from every angle you discover something new.

    - parked next to a modern BMW, all audis look boring and all mercs look outdated.

    - the next S class will get a 7 series boot, the maybach already has it.

    - the next S class cockpit is a rip off of the 7 series cockpit, including some i-drive device and same auto tranny selector lever.

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    Quote:
    temm said:
    There's an unbelievable amount of BMW-bashers on this board, no wonder we don't have a BMW Board

    I think the facelift looks better than the old one, I'll give them that.



    Well, I'm not a BMW basher, just a jilted BMW loyalist. Right now is the first time in over 30 years that there is not some sort of BMW in our garage. My wife's BMWCCA membership number has only four digits.

    I, too, think that the new 7er design is better looking (or less off-putting) than the current one. But, the combination of their recent design direction and product quality we have experienced from BMW has switched us to only owning cars that Ferdinand Piech has had something to do with over time. Porsches, Audis and a recent Bentley.

    Farewell Munich!

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    Quote:
    temm said:
    There's an unbelievable amount of BMW-bashers on this board,



    I myself like BMW, much better than their competition such as MB or AUDI, thats why it hurts me so much to see what Bangle et al are over at California are doing with the german company. If it were another company, say Lexus or VW, I couldn't care less. But BMW has always built the more "driver's" car of their class and I love them for it, ever since the E-30 M3's of my childhood.

    Everytime I see a "banglelised" BMW I say to myself, what a pity, when will they come to their senses. Luckily, Bangle's damage is only skin deep and does not affect their engines and chasis and still drive better than the equivalent Audi or MB, and thats why they still sell well (I wouldn't sacrifice BMW's driving assets for another car of the competition just becuase of the Bangle design), but still I keep thinking how much better would BMW be now without Bangle?

    So, in my case I'm not criticising "BMW cars" I'm criticising that cancer they have in the design depertment. And 99% of the BMW fans are the same way, they love the cars but can't stand what Bangle is doing to their company in design

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I myself like BMW, much better than their competition such as MB or AUDI, thats why it hurts me so much to see what Bangle et al are over at California are doing with the german company. If it were another company, say Lexus or VW, I couldn't care less. But BMW has always built the more "driver's" car of their class and I love them for it, ever since the E-30 M3's of my childhood.

    Everytime I see a "banglelised" BMW I say to myself, what a pity, when will they come to their senses. Luckily, Bangle's damage is only skin deep and does not affect their engines and chasis and still drive better than the equivalent Audi or MB, and thats why they still sell well (I wouldn't sacrifice BMW's driving assets for another car of the competition just becuase of the Bangle design), but still I keep thinking how much better would BMW be now without Bangle?

    So, in my case I'm not criticising "BMW cars" I'm criticising that cancer they have in the design depertment. And 99% of the BMW fans are the same way, they love the cars but can't stand what Bangle is doing to their company in design



    I fully agree with you Carlos, I owned several BMW since the '80s liked all of them for the way they drove (wonderfully balanced rwd, delicate steering and lovely singing six-cylinder engines) all that put in a charming body with a mix of German and Italian designflavour. With the introduction of the E38 and E39 (previous 5 and 7) they probably got too cautious or conservative designwise because they wanted to continue the huge succes of the previous models. Some boardroom members recognised this and then Bangle came in, got too much freedom and well you know he spoiled the marque.
    If you want to know what a proper luxury sportsedan should look like; watch the Maser Quattroporte. I wish it had BMW technique in it.

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    When I see the mid-90s BMWs , they look so stodgy and dated . Interesting that some comments on this thread now knock the car because it looks too traditional like prev 7er ( lights/lower front fascia/rear chunky lamp clusters ) at the same time they pine for " how they used to look ". To me, the main problem with the new 7 has never been the rear, but was and remains the rainbow arc of the roof in side view- makes the car look turtle like - heavy vs sleek which belies it's driving dynamics vs the competition. .

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    Quote:
    temm said:
    There's an unbelievable amount of BMW-bashers on this board, no wonder we don't have a BMW Board

    I think the facelift looks better than the old one, I'll give them that. And it's now a car I would consider buying in this segment. (But I expect the new S-class to blow it away this fall....)


    I agree. Also IMO the facelift looks better than than the first version, but it still is sooo UGLY!

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    less ugly than the first one. looks like they didn't want to pay $ for all the retooling necessary to completely undo the disaster on the rear-end. yet somewhat better as disguised by the tail lamps.

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

    I myself like BMW, much better than their competition such as MB or AUDI, thats why it hurts me so much to see what Bangle et al are over at California are doing with the german company. If it were another company, say Lexus or VW, I couldn't care less. But BMW has always built the more "driver's" car of their class and I love them for it, ever since the E-30 M3's of my childhood.

    Everytime I see a "banglelised" BMW I say to myself, what a pity, when will they come to their senses. Luckily, Bangle's damage is only skin deep and does not affect their engines and chasis and still drive better than the equivalent Audi or MB, and thats why they still sell well (I wouldn't sacrifice BMW's driving assets for another car of the competition just becuase of the Bangle design), but still I keep thinking how much better would BMW be now without Bangle?

    So, in my case I'm not criticising "BMW cars" I'm criticising that cancer they have in the design depertment. And 99% of the BMW fans are the same way, they love the cars but can't stand what Bangle is doing to their company in design



    A well made point Carlos, I guess one of the reasons so many people are "bashing" BMW at the moment is that they used to like BMW before Bangle.

    I don't think the Bangle BMW's are ugly, except the pre-facelift 7-series, but I don't think they are beautiful either. The 5-series Touring looks great IMO, and the 6-series from some angles. But the Bangle butt is - well - butt ugly!

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    I think it looks much better than the current model, hey it has got more power also.
    Merc should watch out, this car will make you nervous!

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    Quote:
    alhurr said:
    I think it looks much better than the current model, hey it has got more power also.
    Merc should watch out, this car will make you nervous!


    Wait for the new S-class...

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    Rossi, Merc is having a problem with their quality, and everybody admits that. They'll have trouble catching up the competition. One of the ways of getting close is adding more horsepower i guess!
    I talking from experience, the crrent s class is an American car

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    I disagree,
    Although I read everywhere the Merc has gone down the drain in terms of quality, our SL500 and S600 are still immaculate and perfom 110% everyday, excellent ride and interior finish, although not Audi, is great, especially the S600 with its alcantara finish.
    As for catching up with the competition, although I am not a fan of Merc, I do not see what you mean, there are way ahead of BMW and Audi in terms of volumes.
    And in terms of quality, lagging behind Audi, but again, not that bad.
    Maybe we've just been lucky with our cars , knock on wood!
    In luxury segment that is, which for me is, (S class, 7 series and A8) and (SL vs 6 series).
    I think BMW has done very well in the States lately, but not better than Merc to my knowledge.

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    BMW has finally now beaten Merc in terms of volume this last year, something that had not happened in ten years.
    But I'm with Fanch on this one, as much as I preffer the dinamics and handling of the BWM in the other classes, in this luxury segement I prefer Mercedes, they are just the best at it in this class were luxury, confort, ride, creature conforts, pose, etc is fundamental and that Mercedes territory. Just my opinion though.

    Re: Facelifted BMW 7 Series

    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    BMW has finally now beaten Merc in terms of volume this last year, something that had not happened in ten years.
    But I'm with Fanch on this one, as much as I preffer the dinamics and handling of the BWM in the other classes, in this luxury segement I prefer Mercedes, they are just the best at it in this class were luxury, confort, ride, creature conforts, pose, etc is fundamental and that Mercedes territory. Just my opinion though.



    Volumes can be misleading....if one considers how many $100K+ cars Merc sells/yr vs BMW, seems BMW purposely avoids this more difficult sales territory. Also consider that BMW is pricing its new M5 below E55's price....what does that reveal about BMW's own view of its brand/pricing power? Bangleization (and notable lemon rate) of 7-series (and its effects on sales and discounting of 7-series) has probably saved Merc from having to rush out an updated S-class....let's just hope Merc doesn't abuse its effective monopoly on the $100K+ sedan class....

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part I) Thread Closed 9/24/20 12:47 AM
    watt
    618891 2849
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/30/20 9:03 AM
    rhino
     
     
     
     
     
    384507 1279
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 6/8/21 7:15 PM
    JR-550
    89550 1087
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 5/12/21 3:30 PM
    WhoopsyM
    47174 344
    Porsche Sticky ROAD TEST: New 992 Carrera 4S 3/3/21 10:57 PM
    Wonderbar
    36308 336
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Taycan Turbo S - Short Review 10/19/20 6:12 PM
    Leawood911
    34200 380
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 6/19/21 2:48 AM
    watt
    18841 391
    Porsche Sticky Porsche extends the Taycan model range (Taycan 2WD) 2/1/21 12:42 PM
    Leawood911
    5177 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 7/27/20 2:13 AM
    DJM48
    576006 5257
    Porsche Cayman GT4 5/4/21 4:46 PM
    Topspeed
    435003 3586
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/25/21 4:04 PM
    Topspeed
    370008 3916
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 5/27/21 6:14 PM
    Topspeed
    369737 3495
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/28/21 12:26 PM
    W8MM
    331570 3252
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/8/20 7:51 PM
    DJM48
    311608 2646
    Porsche Tesla Roadster 9/23/20 8:22 PM
    bluelines
    250064 4279
    Porsche OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/28/21 8:05 PM
    Topspeed
    234484 1542
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 2/11/21 9:22 AM
    Itsme
    162707 1379
    Others Alfa Romeo 4C 9/23/20 10:22 AM
    RCA
    138939 792
    Porsche 992 GT3 6/20/21 2:43 AM
    Targa Tim
    136815 2622
    Lambo Lamborghini Huracan and variants 4/9/21 4:32 PM
    Topspeed
    111696 1225
    McLaren F1 2/25/21 11:33 AM
    RCA
    77848 207
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 5/19/21 5:19 PM
    Leawood911
    76222 1167
    AMG AMG GT R 11/19/20 11:47 PM
    Topspeed
    66183 819
    Lambo Aventador and SV 4/20/21 3:21 PM
    CGX car nut
    65312 683
    Porsche 991 Speedster 9/3/20 4:29 PM
    Topspeed
    61818 878
    Porsche Nürburgring - Tesla vs. Taycan 11/23/20 6:10 PM
    Topspeed
    45925 596
    Others Bugatti Chiron 6/9/21 6:51 AM
    Jean
    37766 479
    Porsche Olive 991.2 GT3 Clubsport 1/1/21 7:58 PM
    throt
    34701 615
    Ferrari Ferrari 812 Superfast 5/30/21 9:51 PM
    waiting for PDK
    34001 522
    BMW M BMW M2 Rumors 3/21/21 5:01 PM
    Topspeed
    29376 385
    272 items found, displaying 1 to 30.