Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New 430 -ONLY FOR PREVIOUS OWNERS??

I have been on the waiting list for a Modena since August, 2000 at Shelton Sports Cars in Ft. Lauderdale. I bought a Testarossa from them some years ago and I was told that since Ferrari has "zones" Shelton was my dealership for Ferrari. Needless to say, since they don't get a lot of new cars every year I knew that I was in for a long wait. I even put my name on a list for the car that was to follow the Modena (that was 2001).
    Over the time I have been checking with them and when the F430 was announced I checked again to see how they were going to handle the back logged list which I was on for the Modena.
    Several months ago they claimed that the F430 was not necessarily coming out. Finally when that isn't an issue anymore I checked with them today to see where I stood in terms of getting the new car.
    Well this is what I was told. " The Shelton brothers have decided that the 430 was only going to be sold to good customers (those that have purchased atleast 6-13 cars over these last few years and that will take care of the first two years of their alloted 430's. They have also decided to forgo the list of people who have been on the list for Modenas". In addition he told me " The Sheltons have checked with the Ferrari factory, and they are all right with this plan".
    HUH??? Ferrari is alright with screwing all the people ( like me) who have waited years to get a new car ar MSRP?? WTF?

Re: New 430 -ONLY FOR PREVIOUS OWNERS??

I was similarly treated by my dealer too (my name seemed to be moving down the list instead of up over time)

Sorry but that's the way it is. All of thier "good" customers are going to want a 430. If it makes you feel better, I have purchased 3 F cars, including a 360 spider recently, and they won't tell me when/if I'll get a 430:)

Roy

Quote:
    Lon said:" The Shelton brothers have decided that the 430 was only going to be sold to good customers (those that have purchased atleast 6-13 cars over these last few years...

6-13 in last FEW years? those don't sound like what I consider a good customer to me, more like cold intermediaries that allow "the Shelton Brothers" to sell the same car several times over and over for more profits at the expense of true sportcars enthusiasts like you (I see you have a GT3 and wainting for an Elise ) and Grant, as well as the second hand market buyers...

WTF, you can say that again.

6-13 cars??? How in the world can you afford to buy so many ferrari's? I find it discusting to treat customers like that. Plus, when you're buying such expensive toys you should get a bit more respect. It's not because demand is strong that they have the right to F with customers like that. I would be so pissed off if I were you.

Quote:
    Lon said:
    I have been on the waiting list for a Modena since August, 2000 at Shelton Sports Cars in Ft. Lauderdale. I bought a Testarossa from them some years ago and I was told that since Ferrari has "zones" Shelton was my dealership for Ferrari. Needless to say, since they don't get a lot of new cars every year I knew that I was in for a long wait. I even put my name on a list for the car that was to follow the Modena (that was 2001).
    Over the time I have been checking with them and when the F430 was announced I checked again to see how they were going to handle the back logged list which I was on for the Modena.
    Several months ago they claimed that the F430 was not necessarily coming out. Finally when that isn't an issue anymore I checked with them today to see where I stood in terms of getting the new car.
    Well this is what I was told. " The Shelton brothers have decided that the 430 was only going to be sold to good customers (those that have purchased atleast 6-13 cars over these last few years and that will take care of the first two years of their alloted 430's. They have also decided to forgo the list of people who have been on the list for Modenas". In addition he told me " The Sheltons have checked with the Ferrari factory, and they are all right with this plan".
    HUH??? Ferrari is alright with screwing all the people ( like me) who have waited years to get a new car ar MSRP?? WTF?

I am not defending your dealer but why do you believe being on the 360 list should give priority for the 430? The wait list for the 360 is just that. FOR THE 360!! If you did not make the cut, get on the list for the 430.

Better yet buy a used Ferrari from Shelton and have them cue you up for the 430.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I am not defending your dealer but why do you believe being on the 360 list should give priority for the 430? The wait list for the 360 is just that. FOR THE 360!! If you did not make the cut, get on the list for the 430.

Better yet buy a used Ferrari from Shelton and have them cue you up for the 430.

You completely miss his point. He's been on a list for 4 1/2 years and now Ferrari is upgrading the model. You side with the dealer that he goes back to the bottom of a new list? I think something like that only makes sense to you and Ferrari dealers.

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

You completely miss his point. He's been on a list for 4 1/2 years and now Ferrari is upgrading the model. You side with the dealer that he goes back to the bottom of a new list? I think something like that only makes sense to you and Ferrari dealers.

No he should not go to the bottom of the 430 list. He should not be on the list for the 430. When he went on the list for the 360 he was not guaranteed a 360 let alone a 430!

If he want s 430 bad enough I believe he can get one but it probably will not be on his terms and therein lies the rub.

He should stick with Porsche's. They are readily available and probably get one on his own terms.

Quote:
    nberry said:

In other words Lon... all it takes is to drop your pants and bend over

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

In other words Lon... all it takes is to drop your pants and bend over

Well, truth is many of those who pay premiums for Fcars bend over less than those of us who buy new Pcars for nice discounts to MSRP. The depreciation on the Pcar will more than offset any premium paid for an Fcar.

This happens only in USA ... in Europe such treatments are rare even if dealers feel too important.

Nick, in case you haven't read Lon's post carefully, he said that he's been on the list for the 360's successor since 2001. Meaning he should be on the top of the list, not erased from it!!!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Nick, in case you haven't read Lon's post carefully, he said that he's been on the list for the 360's successor since 2001. Meaning he should be on the top of the list, not erased from it!!!

If you have your name on a list for the 997S and the TT is introduced are you on the list for the TT? My point is being on a list for the 360 does not mean your on the list for the 430. Two different cars.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Understeer is when you're scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

If you have your name on a list for the 997S and the TT is introduced are you on the list for the TT? My point is being on a list for the 360 does not mean your on the list for the 430. Two different cars.

The TT is not the replacement for the 997S as is the 430 for the 360.

Quote:
    nberry said:

No he should not go to the bottom of the 430 list. He should not be on the list for the 430. When he went on the list for the 360 he was not guaranteed a 360 let alone a 430!

If he want s 430 bad enough I believe he can get one but it probably will not be on his terms and therein lies the rub.

He should stick with Porsche's. They are readily available and probably get one on his own terms.

Wow nick, a new high for ferrari exclusivity BS. I just don't get why people put up with such lousy treatment. Yes 360/430 is nice but if i were shelling out that money i would want to be treated with some dignity. The F clientele should gather up their self respect and head on down to the Aston dealership or audi/lambo store.

Tom

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    Lon said:" The Shelton brothers have decided that the 430 was only going to be sold to good customers (those that have purchased atleast 6-13 cars over these last few years...

6-13 in last FEW years? those don't sound like what I consider a good customer to me, more like cold intermediaries that allow "the Shelton Brothers" to sell the same car several times over and over for more profits at the expense of true sportcars enthusiasts like you (I see you have a GT3 and wainting for an Elise ) and Grant, as well as the second hand market buyers...

As Carlos said, they're in to make more money they don't give a damn about the customers . For this 4 1/2 years of wiat, you could have been driving a fine GT2 and enjoyed the hell out of it even as a daily drive.

To give you an example, my friend that buys many nice cars every year will be getting one of the very first F430 in Houston but he has already agreed (under the table) that after couple hundered miles he'll sell it back to the dealr for some profit and in turn the dealer puts "Used" label on the car and probably charges 40k to 50k premium on it.

It seems to happen on the US market only.
    German customers get their cars without major problems.
    Of course there is some waiting time and you might need a good "friend" at a local Ferrari Club to get a car earlier but I know somebody who gets his F430 Spider(!) in around 11 months and somebody else who could have a F430 in 4 months. Without premium, at MSRP from official Ferrari dealers. If US customers accept this BS from their dealers and Ferrari, THEIR fault. They shouldn't. If I feel treated bad by a dealer or company, I buy something else. In the 150000 USD range, there are other interesting cars around. Like the Lamborghini Gallardo, a used Murcielago or even a 996 Turbo S. Yes, there is a word called "dignity" and sometimes I'm surprised that people who work hard for their money forget about this word, especially when it comes to buying a car. I NEVER paid premium for a car and I would rather go for a different brand than paying premium.
    Another hint for you guys (this is how it works in Germany): if you pay CASH (no lease, etc.) at delivery and a substantial amount in advance, some dealers might put you a little bit up the list.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Of course there is some waiting time and you might need a good "friend" at a local Ferrari Club to get a car earlier but I know somebody who gets his F430 Spider(!) in around 11 months and somebody else who could have a F430 in 4 months. Without premium, at MSRP from official Ferrari dealers. If US customers accept this BS from their dealers and Ferrari, THEIR fault. They shouldn't. If I feel treated bad by a dealer or company, I buy something else. In the 150000 USD range, there are other interesting cars around. Like the Lamborghini Gallardo, a used Murcielago or even a 996 Turbo S. Yes, there is a word called "dignity" and sometimes I'm surprised that people who work hard for their money forget about this word, especially when it comes to buying a car. I NEVER paid premium for a car and I would rather go for a different brand than paying premium.
    Another hint for you guys (this is how it works in Germany): if you pay CASH (no lease, etc.) at delivery and a substantial amount in advance, some dealers might put you a little bit up the list.

RC I could not agree with you more. Buyers have a lot of alternatives and they should avoid trying to buy a Ferrari especially if they have to wait. Life is too short. Those of us fortune enough to be able to buy one will not hold it against those buyers who want to boycott Ferrari.

it is exactly crap like this that drives customers to Lamborghini! I'm 13th on list for the 430 but will probably buy the Gallardo upgrade or spider before my number for
    the F car comes up.

Wayne 13 is very high and good. You probably will be ordering it by this spring with a late summer delivery.

Quote:
    RC said:

Yes indeed, all the more reason to buy a Porsche!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Of course there is some waiting time and you might need a good "friend" at a local Ferrari Club to get a car earlier but I know somebody who gets his F430 Spider(!) in around 11 months and somebody else who could have a F430 in 4 months. Without premium, at MSRP from official Ferrari dealers. If US customers accept this BS from their dealers and Ferrari, THEIR fault. They shouldn't. If I feel treated bad by a dealer or company, I buy something else.

"Their fault"???

The fact of the matter is if you want an F430 soon (within the next 12 months) and you are not a "perfered customer", you're not going to get it at a fair price (MSRP).

This is not the fault of the perspective onwer, nor should they feel like they have go to some other car (lambo or porsche) when what they want is an F430.

This is how the market is for a Ferrari in the US, and I think you are foolish/uninformed to put the blame on the perspective owners.

Quote:
    CivicRydr said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Of course there is some waiting time and you might need a good "friend" at a local Ferrari Club to get a car earlier but I know somebody who gets his F430 Spider(!) in around 11 months and somebody else who could have a F430 in 4 months. Without premium, at MSRP from official Ferrari dealers. If US customers accept this BS from their dealers and Ferrari, THEIR fault. They shouldn't. If I feel treated bad by a dealer or company, I buy something else.

"Their fault"???

The fact of the matter is if you want an F430 soon (within the next 12 months) and you are not a "perfered customer", you're not going to get it at a fair price (MSRP).

This is not the fault of the perspective onwer, nor should they feel like they have go to some other car (lambo or porsche) when what they want is an F430.

This is how the market is for a Ferrari in the US, and I think you are foolish/uninformed to put the blame on the perspective owners.

He was talking about the treatment of the customers in the US. Here in Europe, it's usually first come, first serve, and they don't mark cars up to some stratospherical amount of money above MSRP. When you're put on the list it doesn't matter who you are, if you're #1, you'll be getting the first car. The fact that customers are willing to tolerate this and consequentially further encourage dealers to behave like that makes it THEIR fault.

Well I have my name down already for a F430 CS if they ever make one. Never owned a Fcar before but this one I could envisage owning. But if they don't wont to sell me one, fine as send many times above it is a crowed place with many options...

TEE

Tee, according to nicks philosophy, you are not on the list for the 430 cs, because when you are on the list for the successor of the 360, you are not on the list for the 430... I think this is what he said.
    Well, if I had worked hard for that amount of money, I would never let me get screwed by some car salesman... I'd rather buy a toyota when the salesman is behaving properly.
    And in that perspective, I am with RC; dignity is a virtue, and if people don't treat you right, you don't suck up to them, you tell them to sell the car to someone more willing to bend over, and you get the car in another way, or another car... life's quite simple, isn't it?
    -Joost-

It's pointless to try to change the situation. Ferrari mgmt, I think it was Mondezemolo (spelling?) himself, said when asked how he arrived at the original 349 number of Enzos to produce words to the effect of:
    "We estimate there are 350 people in the world capable and willing to buy a car such as the Enzo. Therefore we will build exactly 1 less." It was amusing that they guessed very wrong and ended up building 50 more to satisfy their irate customers. It seems they've again significantly underestimated the popularity of the 430.

Ferrari has had this constrained production philosophy for a while and their marketing is similar to DeBeers and diamonds. There are plenty of diamonds but the supply is artifically constrained. Surely Ferrari COULD build more cars if they wanted to but they CHOOSE not to. If people don't like their philosophy, they can buy rubies or Aston Martins etc. Let's see if Ferrari changes their policies as Mercedes, BMW, and Aston begin to go after "their" customers with products aimed squarely at the 430 (Ferrari's bread & butter model). Should be interesting.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    814053 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453286 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273368 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92188 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9802 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

892240 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    853432 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM