Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Carrera GT - "I feel scared"...

Here's an article from yesterday's issue of the Sydney Morning Herald...
    Greetings,
    --Pierre

Here's a superhuman sportster
    By Joshua Dowling
    The Sydney Morning Herald
    Friday November 15 2002

The release of Porsche's Carrera GT, which will challenge the $2 million Ferrari Enzo for the title of the world's fastest car, has been delayed because one of its most experienced test drivers says it is too powerful for mere mortals.

Former world rally champion and Porsche test driver Walter Rohrl told Drive the new Porsche supercar is "the first car in my life that I drive and I feel scared".

Despite the awesome performance -- and an expected $1 million pricetag -- most Carrera GTs are said to be spoken for.

Just three Australians have ordered one, but they have told Porsche their cars will be garaged in Europe because the Carrera GT cannot be registered here.

Rohrl, who has been testing the Carrera GT in prototype form for the past three years, said it is so powerful that it spins the rear wheels in each gear up to fifth in its six-ratio box.

Power and acceleration figures are yet to be announced but Rohrl gave a clue to the engine's awesome performance, saying that the 5.5-litre V10 produces 450Nm of torque from as little as 2000rpm.

Overseas reports claim that the engine has a maximum of 450kW and 600Nm and that the engine revs to 9000rpm.

Earlier this year, Rohrl said, the engineering team was about to cancel a day's testing at the famous Nurburgring circuit because of wet weather. But, Rohrl said, when he insisted the car had to be tested in slippery conditions, he discovered the car's daunting performance.

"I came back into the pits and I was white," Rohrl said. "I immediately said to the engineers that we need one button for the wet and one button for the dry", referring to the need for a traction control switch.

Originally, he said, there were no plans to fit electronic traction control to the Carrera GT but his insistence has forced Porsche to develop a system at late notice.

Porsche is also trying to refine the gearbox -- but getting so many heavy-duty parts to move smoothly and quickly has proved challenging for engineers.

Rohrl says the car will not be released "until it is perfect" and that the maker is under no time pressure to deliver the Carrera GT.

"That is one of the good things about projects like this," he says. "Everyone wants the best and we will do what it takes, as long as it takes, to build the best.

"The car will sell whenever we bring it out."

Since its unveiling in concept car form at the 2000 Paris motor show, the Carrera GT has been on the road frequently as part of Porsche's rigorous testing program and accordingly has often been caught wearing little disguise (above).

The Carrera GT was at the Estoril F1 race track in Portugal last week for dry-weather testing. Rohrl, who was attending a media release for the new Porsche Cayenne 4WD at the time, was on the phone each night to check on the progress of his "baby".

At the Nurburgring, Rohrl tested the car with several tyre combinations and found that the 20-inch Michelin tyres, while excellent in the dry, were more of a handful in the wet than the equivalent Pirellis, on which he was 20 seconds a lap quicker around the 22km circuit.

Porsche has yet to make top speed claims about the Carrera GT but it has been reported that its tyres will be rated to 400kmh because the car is likely to exceed 350kmh.

The current benchmark is the three-seater McLaren F1 road car which recorded a top speed of 386.7kmh set in 1999. But this model has not been in production for four years, leaving the fight open for Porsche and Ferrari.

On paper, an acceleration time of 3.7 seconds for the 0-100kmh sprint is likely for the Carerra GT. Rohrl would not give an estimate.

"We develop the car to be the best we can possibly build and then put a stop watch on it," he said. "We don't come up with a time and say 'this is what we must achieve' because then you have a limit." Porsche plans to build no more than 1000 Carerra GTs (Ferrari is building 399 Enzos) over three years starting from mid-2003, assembling them by hand at the company's Leipzig plant alongside the Cayenne 4WD.

Re: Carrera GT - "I feel scared"...

Wow, thanks for the article, Pierre. If Rorhl is nervous when driving the Carrera GT, then mere mortals probably should wear disposable underpants when driving this thing

9000 rpm revs, wooohoooo!

BTW, 450 kW would mean 603 HP! I wonder whether this figure is reliable or not... Or did the journalist just round up some numbers he heard somewhere? hmmm... Can Porsche afford producing the CGT with less than 600 HP now that the Enzo has 660?... Exciting!

Greetings,
    --Pierre

Hmmm, it seems possible that the HP could be increased to 600, particularly because (1) the V-10 can easily be massaged to produce it; (2) it should be given the specs of the Enzo and the upcoming Mercedes SLR; and (3) the article suggests that Porsche is working on fitting electronic traction control, which might make the company more comfortable increasing the horsepower for regular (non-race) drivers without worrying that most of the Carrera GT's would end up in the weeds.

I've been numb through the whole Cayenne introduction, particularly after seeing more styling details; but this Carrera GT stuff is pretty exciting.

Interesting comments, John. You might very well be right about traction control. However, I guess that most of the CGT's will end up sitting in a garage than having fun on the road/track...
    Greetings,
    --Pierre

I'm afraid that...

...Porsche will engineer the Carrera GT in such a way, that even Ivana Trump could drive this car to her hairdresser.

I think I hear the "liability...bla bla bla..." story again.
    I don't get it: if somebody buys a fast car, he knows very well what he's doing. Why do car manufacturers have to make their cars "idiot-proof"? Nothing against electronic traction control, ESP, ABS, etc. but it shouldn't interfere too much with the car's dynamic capabilities.

This reminds me of my SLK 32 AMG testdrive: extremely powerful engine but the ESP jumped in all the time...a pretty annoying experience.

Re: I'm afraid that...

The current PSM is 'clever' enough not to interfere too early and to let the driver have some fun before coming to the rescue. Given that, I guess (and hope!) that Porsche will follow a similar way in the development of the Carrera GT's electronic helpers.
    Greetings,
    --Pierre

In reply to:
    I don't get it: if somebody buys a fast car, he knows very well what he's doing. Why do car manufacturers have to make their cars "idiot-proof"? Nothing against electronic traction control, ESP, ABS, etc. but it shouldn't interfere too much with the car's dynamic capabilities.

AMEN!!!

With the softening of the 993 into the 996, and the intro of the Cayenne and the Porsche motorsport issue....this could be the first glimpse of Porsche doing the right thing...meaning making me excited about the product!

I hope they don't water the CGT into a drivable/wonderful NSX. The car needs to be scary fast!! It should be the ultimate, no excuse supercar. I'm having difficult expressing myself here, but I hope/think you guys know what I mean.

take care,
    Tom

I completely agree that a 600 hp sportcar should be a challenge to drive, it shouldn't do everything for you.
    But the challenges should come from the right reasons, what I mean is that you should be able to learn how to interpret the reactions on the limit of your car in a safe way, it should be possible to build enough confidence with the car to become in control and fast without the use of driving aids.

Imagine going to a new track you've never been to before and find slippery conditions(rain), a well set up PSM will help you to learn the track in a safe way.

The systems should ABSOLUTELY be TOTALLY deconnectable, because once you are in control of the car and know the street/track you're in you should be able to enjoy the driving with no interference.

The development of said safety device should not imply a change in the original susp. or transmission designs, I once read Hartmut Kristen (sp) (chief of special vehicles at PAG) say, talking about GT2 and GT3, that they would not put PSM on the two cars because it wasn't possible to make it work well with a limited slip differential.I hope things have changed now, the car with PSM de-connected should be as effective and fast as if it was designed from the start without it.

It's funny to see that I've taken the defence of a device that I'm not using too much lately...

Absolutely agree

You are right Luigi,
    PSM Should be made fully deconnectable.
    But again; like Christian mentionned, liability problems.
    Francois.

Here some official info (or lack of) about the Carrera GT:

- The final version of the CGT will "probably" be presented at an international auto-show during the first quarter '03.
    - No official news about performance. Power will be at least at the level announced for the prototype ("maybe more").
    - No definitive price yet. EUR 400-500k seems realistic.

Not much, huh?...

Greetings,
    --Pierre

The thing is...

... that Porsche is currently asking German customers who once ordered the GT to remit a downpayment without being in a position to provide any useful additional information on the car (just 558hp or more?, weight: 1250kg or more, price, etc.)

To be quite frank, if the car will be EUR 450k or more, and will offer only 558hp at a weight in excess of 1250kg I am not convinced that this car will be a good purchase. What is the board members' opinion, would you remit the downpayment?

Re: The thing is...

My opinion? If Porsche wants more money from these customers, some serious info has to be delivered. I also hope these customers will get some preview of the car before it's presented to the public next year!... I'd hate having signed up for such a car, and only being allowed to see it at the same time as the journalists and the public...

BTW, the contract that's been signed by these potential customers seems to give all rights to Porsche. They can deliver almost whatever they want at almost any price. And the (potential) customers aren't even sure they'll get a car... Seems really to be a one-way contract: Porsche can do anything, the customer has to pay for an option on a car that may not be delivered. huh...

If some of you guys have such a contract, I wish you good luck!...

Greetings,
    --Pierre

In reply to:
    Former world rally champion and Porsche test driver Walter Rohrl told Drive the new Porsche supercar is "the first car in my life that I drive and I feel scared".

Maybe he's scared because he wrecked one?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803280 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448592 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266154 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90082 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6628 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885756 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833348 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM