Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Spotted a Ferrari Testarossa with strange mirrors

I saw a nice example of an early Testarossa in a parking lot yesterday, but it had some strange mirrors on it that I had never seen before. They were stubby mirrors... located at the point where the a pillar meets the door.

Were these a factory option or something aftermarket? At first I thought it could be a kit car, but upon further inspection decided that it definitely was not.

I snapped a pic with my cell phone, but I currently do not have a cable to upload the picture to my computer.

Re: Spotted a Ferrari Testarossa with strange mirrors

If I, far from being a Ferrari expert, remember correctly the first few production years had a single mirror attached at the position you mentioned above. They were later relocated to the upfront window triangle on both doors.

Re: Spotted a Ferrari Testarossa with strange mirr

Like this one.

must be hard to drive with only one wing mirror. not to mention t doesnt look that good either.

No, it was not the example above... I've seen that version many times before.

These mirrors (both sides) were short and butted right up to the door/A pillar. The were each about 8 inches wide from base to tip.

Because the standard mirrors (even twin mirror models) were quite crummy and didnt offer great visibility, many Testarossa's ended up with aftermarket mirrors to give better visibility. Very important in a car with those wide hips..

I read somewhere that Ferrari moved the mirrors from the high position on early models to the "normal" position on later models, because customers complained of neckache from having to look up at the high positioned mirror.

Is this what you saw??

It may have been a Koenig TR, they have stubby mirrors.
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/209084,13895,0,0/1991_Koenig_Testarossa_Photo.aspx

Anyway, gives me the oppurtunity to post the best looking ferrari 12 ever built in regular production, imo. Something has happened to car designers, they just don't seem to have it anymore.

The 512tr looks *amazing* - anyone driven one? Are they any good?

today's tech in that body = best f-car ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTsQEinS234&NR=1

Quote:
    boytronic said:
    The 512tr looks *amazing* - anyone driven one? Are they any good?

Yes I have had a 1993 TR 512 for a year.. Poor brakes, inside finish like a Fiat Punto. No Downforce at high speed.

But an amazing sound with Fuchs exhaust system. The car is a cafe racer but a good looking and the sound is

Quote:
    racerx said:
    It may have been a Koenig TR, they have stubby mirrors.
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/209084,13895,0,0/1991_Koenig_Testarossa_Photo.aspx

Anyway, gives me the oppurtunity to post the best looking ferrari 12 ever built in regular production, imo. Something has happened to car designers, they just don't seem to have it anymore.

Agree 100%, I saw a Testarossa in a car showroom near Zurich 2 years ago and was stunning even though many years old.

The replacement of the Testarossa was very disappointing, my first thought was they made a huge mistake.

The Testarossa IS the best looking 12, the best looking 8 is the 355.

With the F40 their best looking supercar.

Ferrari's technology is up to date but their style is lacking from what they could produce 10-20 years ago.

512 TR does not have a bad angle, it is to ferrari as 928 is to porsche and i have always liked the TR.

How many cars are unmistakeable from behind like this? The lowness and width shout exotic in person.

Vinnie, I agree on the 355, but I think the 1985 GTO edges out the F40, though the wheels and tires need updating. pic thanks to jason

Today's ferrari design is in the dumper, bloated undefined blobs at least the 12's.

I just remembered the first internet organized car gtg i went to near 5 years ago. It was a cokd november day outside of boston. We met at a restaurant off a major highway. First meet for all the people, car websites were new then.

15 or so people showed, including a young kid who had been lurking the board in question. He dragged his father out, the kid was too young to drive, in their lexus sports car. After eating and standing around freezing outside looking at all the different cars it was time to go.

One of the first to go was a black 360 and we watched and listened as he pulled out and went thru the intersection then onto the highway on-ramp running alongside the parking lot where we were shivering. As expected, he nailed it, must have had an aftermarket exhaust, what a great sound.

Well that got the adrenaline going so we all got our cars started and prepared to leave. Next the kid and his father left in their lexus, he had a blast. Then myself and 2 others were going the same way so we agreed to leave together.

My 928, a grey 355, and a red testarossa went down that on-ramp just like the 360. Traffic was light so we could move along. Then snow started falling. so we increased pace to get home before it got slippery.

The next day the kid posted how he had seen our 3 cars pass his dad's and they tried to keep up but lost sight quickly despite their best effort. The dad went on to buy a 360 a year or so later then a ford gt after that. It's rides like that that are some of the most enjoyable and memorable experiences of owning a nice car.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Vinnie, I agree on the 355, but I think the 1985 GTO edges out the F40, though the wheels and tires need updating. pic thanks to jason

Today's ferrari design is in the dumper, bloated undefined blobs at least the 12's.

+1 A facelifted F355 brought up to modern standards would be awesome.

David

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:

+1 A facelifted F355 brought up to modern standards would be awesome.

David

×2. A 355 with Scuderia tech would be a dream.

found these, 1994-95, porsche building 928 GTS, ferrari building 512 TR and 355. They both have floundered badly on exterior design while Lambo and Aston have risen dramatically.

put 599 mechanicals in this skin too

i fell in love with ferrari through the Testarossa... thats where my passion began.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    I just remembered the first internet organized car gtg i went to near 5 years ago. It was a cokd november day outside of boston. We met at a restaurant off a major highway. First meet for all the people, car websites were new then.

15 or so people showed, including a young kid who had been lurking the board in question. He dragged his father out, the kid was too young to drive, in their lexus sports car. After eating and standing around freezing outside looking at all the different cars it was time to go.

One of the first to go was a black 360 and we watched and listened as he pulled out and went thru the intersection then onto the highway on-ramp running alongside the parking lot where we were shivering. As expected, he nailed it, must have had an aftermarket exhaust, what a great sound.

Well that got the adrenaline going so we all got our cars started and prepared to leave. Next the kid and his father left in their lexus, he had a blast. Then myself and 2 others were going the same way so we agreed to leave together.

My 928, a grey 355, and a red testarossa went down that on-ramp just like the 360. Traffic was light so we could move along. Then snow started falling. so we increased pace to get home before it got slippery.

The next day the kid posted how he had seen our 3 cars pass his dad's and they tried to keep up but lost sight quickly despite their best effort. The dad went on to buy a 360 a year or so later then a ford gt after that. It's rides like that that are some of the most enjoyable and memorable experiences of owning a nice car.

That sounds great.

When I was young; about 15, I woke up early on a drizzly day to meet my neighbor Mike and his friends for a track day. We gathered at a race shop in downtown Rockford, where I saw a gathering of old Alfas for my first time. They are such beautiful little machines. We stood around drinking coffee and talking about the day ahead, hoping that the rain would not persist.

It was the first time I had ever heard of Rain X, and I learned how to apply it to the windsheild of Mike's car. I remember getting the Alfas started and warmed up for the 15 minute drive to the track; Grattan Raceway. We inched the sputtering Alfas into the parking lot and out onto the road. There were 5 or 6 in the caravan... and each had it's own chance to shake the tail loose on the soaked pavement.

I remember watching the drops of water shoot up that perfectly clean windsheild. I remember the chrome accents and the black leather... the shifter up high at the bottom of the dash. That big wood three spoke steering wheel.

The best part of that day was my first time on a road course. I was in the passenger seat of Mike's Giulia Sprint GTA when we rounded the last turn before the straight, and the rear end broke loose. He took that little italian completely sideways!

Ever since then, whenever I apply rainX or drift a little around a corner, I think of that day and those beautiful cars.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688463 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408667 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255505 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234753 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65374 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857542 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773300 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM