Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Rohlr compares GT2/ CGT 'ring times...

When asked why the GT2 was quicker:

"Ah yes, it's actually easier to drive. The GT has a long wheelbase and the mid-engine. It is stable but it takes longer to gather up in a slide. So the GT2 maybe breaks away faster, but is also saved faster, and I'm on the gas sooner." He also mentioned his quickest time was with PASM set to 'Normal' and TC and SC were off.

After his first test of the GT2 WR said 'This is the best car I've ever driven'.

I'm going to have to get one of these one day...

Re: Rohlr compares GT2/ CGT 'ring times...

Small, nimble, and powerful has always been the "Success Recipe" for any sports car.

Quote:

After his first test of the GT2 WR said 'This is the best car I've ever driven'.

hom many times would he of said this after driving a new porsche?

Quote:
    scud said:
    Quote:

You wouldnt expect him to say that the 2006 GT2 he drove was better, quicker, faster, and had faster lap time than a 2008 GT2 would you?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    scud said:
    Quote:

You wouldnt expect him to say that the 2006 GT2 he drove was better, quicker, faster, and had faster lap time than a 2008 GT2 would you?

But he participated in the design and development of the CGT. If pressed, he will qualify his statement and indicate he meant best 911 he has ever driven.

His comments are confusing. He indicates he can go deeper and get out faster in a power slide with the GT2. How does this square with TT lag? Having driven the CGT many times I don't believe there is a more responsive car on the planet. It may be related to the mid-engine configuration of the CGT and it power base.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    His comments are confusing. He indicates he can go deeper and get out faster in a power slide with the GT2. How does this square with TT lag? Having driven the CGT many times I don't believe there is a more responsive car on the planet. It may be related to the mid-engine configuration of the CGT and it power base.

you are right, you drove CGT many times and WR piloted it, that's the difference.

Quote:
    fredb said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

you are right, you drove CGT many times and WR piloted it, that's the difference.

loooooooool

Although superficially obvious, I attribute the CGT's extraordinary response to its normally aspirated powertrain. There is instantaneous response as there are no turbos to spool up. The F430 engine also has excellent response. I have not driven the new GT2, but several 996 GT2s. IMHO, the CGT is in a different league than the GT2 series. Also the sound of the CGT is just extraordinary !!!

It's kinda of funny to even compare the GT2 and CGT.
    One is a super sportscar, that's built off a platform that has to make comprises for many different variants which always carries inheret tradeoffs.

The other is an all-out near uncomprising super car purpose built for one goal ... to kill many an inexperienced driver

The context of the quote was this, from the new issue of Excellence magazine, which you really have to read:

of WR's first drive in the GT2, GT2 project manager Alan Lewin said "He did several laps, then came in. He was silent, and I thought 'Oh no, what horrible oversight have we made?' After what seemed like an immeasurable amount of time, he said, 'This is the best car I've ever driven'".

WR and the GT2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvpMwtEPp30&feature=related

Oh, and FWIW, WR also says it turns into corners better than the GT3 RS.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    The context of the quote was this, from the new issue of Excellence magazine, which you really have to read:

of WR's first drive in the GT2, GT2 project manager Alan Lewin said "He did several laps, then came in. He was silent, and I thought 'Oh no, what horrible oversight have we made?' After what seemed like an immeasurable amount of time, he said, 'This is the best car I've ever driven'".

Maybe the CGT wasn't as great as everyone thought it was.

Oh, and FWIW, WR also says it turns into corners better than the GT3 RS.

Hey, friends...
    this is just an exclamation and nothing more. Everyone of us finds something "the best" many times a day, week, year and so on... On the other hand CGT is not on the market for more than 2 years, compared to the GT2, which has to hit the floor vere, very soon...
    GT2 is perfect car, but CGT is out of this planet - Period! And remember that CGT holds the record in Sportauto supertest for more than 3 years on normal road tires!

Quote:
    Boyko23 said:
    And remember that CGT holds the record in Sportauto supertest for more than 3 years on normal road tires!

i think that made a big difference. With road tires, the GT2 won't be so fast.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:...He also mentioned his quickest time was with PASM set to 'Normal' and TC and SC were off. ...

Revealing indeed! He's just recognizing that the 911 suspension setup these days does not have enough compliance and makes the car jumpy (not to talk about the pounding the car takes on regular road surfaces).

The F599GTB and my C6 F55 come with a much more compliant suspension, perfectly controlled and stable with flat cornering - a far cry of current Porsche designs. Stiff suspensions no longer mean control and stability - it's an old wives's tale that does not go away.

PASM normal, as Walter says, is better than Sport in normal roads (he was in the Ring) but it's still too stiff in my opinion, making the chassis nervous and jumpy. Please note that I am not advocating wobbly boat-like suspensions here. I am advocating a suspension where the wheels are firmly planted to the surface the whole time and the chassis moves accordingly - this requires advanced dampers with non-linear control. This kind of suspension still communicates the road to the driver, but it is not jarring. I suspect many sports car owners (or even aspiring sports cars owners) have a difficult time adapting to this paradigm shift as the old one is so entrenched.

P.S. - I started to understand this shift when I first started driving Corvettes ('08 C6) last Summer. VKSF has long posted about this, namely raving about the F599 suspension, the same I have on my new '08 C6.

Well considering the GT2's lap time I believe the wheels are pretty firmly planted. The sport setting would be better suited for a tighter, smoother, track like Hockenhiem.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:...He also mentioned his quickest time was with PASM set to 'Normal' and TC and SC were off. ...

Revealing indeed! He's just recognizing that the 911 suspension setup these days does not have enough compliance and makes the car jumpy (not to talk about the pounding the car takes on regular road surfaces).

The F599GTB and my C6 F55 come with a much more compliant suspension, perfectly controlled and stable with flat cornering - a far cry of current Porsche designs. Stiff suspensions no longer mean control and stability - it's an old wives's tale that does not go away.

PASM normal, as Walter says, is better than Sport in normal roads (he was in the Ring) but it's still too stiff in my opinion, making the chassis nervous and jumpy. Please note that I am not advocating wobbly boat-like suspensions here. I am advocating a suspension where the wheels are firmly planted to the surface the whole time and the chassis moves accordingly - this requires advanced dampers with non-linear control. This kind of suspension still communicates the road to the driver, but it is not jarring. I suspect many sports car owners (or even aspiring sports cars owners) have a difficult time adapting to this paradigm shift as the old one is so entrenched.

P.S. - I started to understand this shift when I first started driving Corvettes ('08 C6) last Summer. VKSF has long posted about this, namely raving about the F599 suspension, the same I have on my new '08 C6.

The issue here is that you're trying to overcome decades long thinking about suspension set-up where it was all mechanical vs. physics. A car's suspension was completely reactive.

Now in the computer age, with the new crop of magnetic and rheostatic fluids instead of oil, suspensions are computer controlled active engaged systems that cannot only react to the various physical inputs - but predict before hand which makes them 10x better.

Weight penalties be damned, I'm a complete convert to the modern electronically controlled suspension after having done a back to back in a Corvette with Magna ride vs. one with a tradtional professional set-up suspension.

Quote:
    Heist said:... I'm a complete convert to the modern electronically controlled suspension after having done a back to back in a Corvette with Magna ride vs. one with a tradtional professional set-up suspension.

We agree. I drive an '08 C6 with the latest Magne-Ride suspension - exact same setup and dampers used by the F559 and R8. 911's PASM pales against this - I actually tried them all, and not just for a quick test drive.

As I said, it will take an open mind to see the forest from the trees... and I'm sure many will resist the paradigm shift and will argue fiercely.

I think many people would agree that PASM is not the best system out there... go back and read many articles indicating the skittishness/pogo feeling and the general unsuitability of sport mode on most surfaces. RC mentioned it in his review as well. Many people, including myself, are modifying their suspensions as well with motons and bilsteins to improve the situation.

But with that said... the GT2 with is old tech seems to be kicking the but of newer tech right now

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    I think many people would agree that PASM is not the best system out there... go back and read many articles indicating the skittishness/pogo feeling and the general unsuitability of sport mode on most surfaces. RC mentioned it in his review as well. Many people, including myself, are modifying their suspensions as well with motons and bilsteins to improve the situation.

But with that said... the GT2 with is old tech seems to be kicking the but of newer tech right now

I don't use the PASM Sport mode on my car at all. It's way too stiff.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:

I don't use the PASM Sport mode on my car at all. It's way too stiff.

i agree, sport mode on with the stiffer pasm mode is far too wiggly/wobbly on the street....plus all the nasty rattles kick in at a lower mileage....

Many have reported that with modified suspension, sport becomes much more usable. Looking forward to finding out myself!

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    Many have reported that with modified suspension, sport becomes much more usable. Looking forward to finding out myself!

Agreed, ever since I installed the PSS Damptronics, sport mode is actually much more compliant.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803707 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448668 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266264 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90142 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6705 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885981 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833841 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM