Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PSE just installed - first impressions

After waiting over 4 months for my PSE order to be despatched, I finally had it installed on Tuesday.

As it was the unanimous endorsements for PSE from Rennteam Members that persuaded me, nay, compelled me to get it, I thought I'd post my initial experiences.

My OPC took the car in at 10.30am telling me it would be ready at 5pm. During the day they rang to say they were having problems due to my car being an '05 but with some "transitional elements of an '06 car."

They wanted to keep it an extra day, but it sounded a bit like BS, so I told them I needed it that evening and they said they would put 2 extra technicians on the job!

I arrived to collect at 5pm and found that, although the exhaust had been fitted, the switch hadn't been, so the interior was still scattered around outside the car. The tech chaps were, in fact, very affable and talked me through the problems. Not a bad thing as it gave me the opportunity to get to know them better, by name etc.

Turns out they'd only fitted two units previously, both to cars with sports chrono!

At this point my main thought was, "What is this going to cost in labour charges?" After all they'd been working on it for about 7 hours and estimated another 2 hours.

Thankfully I'd come armed with the TSB, kindly provided by Alex UK on this board, which states a time allowance of 4.4 hours. There were no arguments - that was all I was finally charged - thanks Alex!

I drove the car away at 7.30pm with the newly fitted PSE switch in the 'on' position i.e. light on. I was immediately hugely disappointed - there was no difference in the sound at all!!!

After fiddling with the switch a few times I then heard the massive appeal of PSE. But the switch was in the 'off' position i.e. light off! Subsequently I was told that this is normal? The PSE operates with the switch in the 'light off' position with the light coming on when the 'cut-out' is in operation.

Having said all that, the PSE is incredible - a total new experience and one well worth waiting for.

After only 2 days, I'm still playing with the cut-off before deciding whether to do the mod/hack. At the moment I'm enjoying being able to hold PSE on with rev control.

Final conclusion - thanks to everyone here for alerting me to it - it is truly FANTASTIC.

Re: PSE just installed - first impressions

Quote:
    John H said:
    After only 2 days, I'm still playing with the cut-off before deciding whether to do the mod/hack. At the moment I'm enjoying being able to hold PSE on with rev control.

There is a big difference between having and not having the "mod". Once you do it, I'm pretty sure you'll want nothing to do with the switch.

The switch is counter-intuitive

On both the 996 and 997, when the switch is "on" and the LED is illuminated, the muffler is in the quiet mode. Default is "loud". To keep the muffler in loud all of the time, simply disconnect the electrical connector to the vacuum switch in the engine compartment.

Nice one John!

I took my car in yesterday to have the PSE fitted, the parts weren't suppose to come in until tomorrow (Friday) but I gambled on the parts coming in early. As it turns out, I got lucky! I got a call this morning saying the PSE had been already been fitted and now the car just needed a further 6 hours for the Machine Polish and Zymol treatments.

...so I will be picking my beauty up first thing tomorrow morning

I had a big chat with the Porsche Service guy regarding what to do about the 'hack'. The conclusion was that the OPC wanted to have nothing to do with implementing such a workaround. They had no problem in me doing this myself but did warn me that it could invalidate the warrantee.

So when I go in and pick up the car in the morning I think I will have an informal chat with the engineer who fitted the PSE and see if he can suggest a nice clean way plugging/unplugging the vacuum hose.

BTW - The PSE doc I distributed to a few of you is password protected so you can't print it. I have managed to make up my own version which is fine to print, so please ping me a PM if you want it.

With regards to the PSE hack, we seem to have a divide on this site whether to:

1) Pull the whole orange electric plug off
      2) Pull just the rubber tube off indicated below

As such, I have a few questions on these:

1) Has anyone yet distinguished the difference between these 2 methods?
      2) If you pull the rubber tube out, do you have to give the resulting ends both air-tight seals? If so what methods have you used? ...I have heard on this site: tape, Allen Screws, and rubber plugs being mentioned before.
      3) Has anyone checked to see if there is any fuel consumption (MPG) difference between stock PSE and the hack PSE?

This thread started by RC a while back is the best one I have seen anywhere on the web thus far:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=97627&page=&fpart=all&vc=1

Any further insight would be much appreciated though!

Re: The switch is counter-intuitive

Quote:
    Orient Express said:
    On both the 996 and 997, when the switch is "on" and the LED is illuminated, the muffler is in the quiet mode.

Thanks for clearing that up. It seemed a little 'arse about face' at first - like moving a light switch up to turn it on.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    With regards to the PSE hack, we seem to have a divide on this site whether to:

1) Pull the whole orange electric plug off
      2) Pull just the rubber tube off indicated below

As such, I have a few questions on these:

1) Has anyone yet distinguished the difference between these 2 methods?
      2) If you pull the rubber tube out, do you have to give the resulting ends both air-tight seals? If so what methods have you used? ...I have heard on this site: tape, Allen Screws, and rubber plugs being mentioned before.
      3) Has anyone checked to see if there is any fuel consumption (MPG) difference between stock PSE and the hack PSE?

This thread started by RC a while back is the best one I have seen anywhere on the web thus far:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=97627&page=&fpart=all&vc=1

Any further insight would be much appreciated though!

Alex,

One tech guy I spoke to on Tuesday was well aware of the 'tube' hack. He said it's best to plug both tube ends to be sure that a total vacuum is maintained. He even gave me one plug that fits perfectly and is trying to find another one.

That said, I too will be very interested in hearing from our friends here on the subject.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    Orient Express said:
    On both the 996 and 997, when the switch is "on" and the LED is illuminated, the muffler is in the quiet mode.

Thanks for clearing that up. It seemed a little 'arse about face' at first - like moving a light switch up to turn it on.

If I'm not mistaken on my C4S with PSE as a factory installed option and Sport Chrono Plus, the LED on the Sport button illuminates when PSE is engaged ("loud" mode plus all the other things that the Sport mode does) - you're right, LED on yours does seem "backwards". BTW, I've been running with the electrical connection unplugged for some time - sounds great all the time and no ill effects.

I myself have a C2S with Chrono and PSE and you're correct that when I enable the Sport button (LED ON) the PSE is engaged or on. If I disable the Sport button, both PSE and throddle ECU mapping goes back to "stock" with standard muffler noise.

I too love the sound from the PSE. As for the "hack" most have just unplugged the burnt-orange electrical connector and have fitted caps to protect it from dirt and moisture. I've seen covers from PC power supplys (black rubber caps put on the ends of hard drive power ends) used to cover both ends of the plug. Most also remove the retaining wire and store it away so it does not get loose.

Since my car is new and under warranty, I doubt I'll do any disconnecting. It's fine by me just to hit the switch. Besides, it's kind of stealthy. I love turning it on next to some "riced" car. You know, the ones with the "coffee-can" size muffler that makes them sound like a chain saw? All they see next it the rear of my Aerokit wing or "flying taco" at that point.

Deanski

THE FINAL WORD ON THIS HACK DISCUSSION

Simply unplug the electrical connector.

In this image the arrows are pointing to the vacuum source connection of the vacuum switch not the muffler side. This is not correct.

While the 997 does not use engine vacuum but rather a vacuum pump and storage tank, unplugging the hose indicated and letting it vent to atmosphere, will induce a leak in the engine vacuum system, and probably a CEL fault.

If you must unplug the vacuum line, make sure that you unplug the ones that are connected to the mufflers, and that you place a cap on the exposed vacuum switch nipple. But this method is only for morons, and those without a clue.

Save yourself the hassle, and just unplug the electrical connector. This will prevent the vacuum switch from engaging and closing the "quiet mode" muffler baffles.

as you put on more miles the sound will become higher and nicer. enjoy.

hello men
    I dont think the cutoff is that big of a deal...
    I mean with the switch, I can do both on or off..
    Off has a different sound too....
    I agree its the best mod ever........
    after a month or so..I notice alot of crackling and popping when I downshift to reduce speed, that cracks me up the most..Besides a rock flying through my front vent and puncturing the a/c condesor..I am a happy camper...
    ENJOY YOUR PSE

Re: THE FINAL WORD ON THIS HACK DISCUSSION

Cool, so basically this yes (from the original thread): http://www.rennteam.com/remlinker.php?Ca...&Main=97627

And then find something to protect each connector head?

Any pics of this 'completed' setup?

I just had mine installed 2 days ago, and I must say it is AWESOME! except that between 3,000 & 4,000 rpms the great sound seems to disappear a bit :-(

Just picked my beauty up from the OPC. After the PSE install and Zymol treatment they actually put the car in the showroom floor itself. It looked band new and was attracting a lot of attention from other customers

First impressions of the PSE are - FANTASTIC!

I think I do have a problem though (if you can call it that) in that the Sports On/Off button really doesn't seem to make any difference to the PSE sound. I think the system is permanently ON no matter what I choose.

Not such a bad thing, (I hear you say) as this is effectively the hack I was after. However, I would like the option when I take long motorway trips to have the PSE off. Also, this way round the cut-off still kicks in. So I'm going to take the car back to the dealership this afternoon for them to have a look....

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said

There is a big difference between having and not having the "mod". Once you do it, I'm pretty sure you'll want nothing to do with the switch.

Alan - which mod did you finally go for? I notice from re-reading RC's original thread that you were somewhat undecided at one time.

I don't have sport chrono and am trying to decide which is best for me.

If you have sports chrono the PSE is going to be ALWAYS on.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said

Alan - which mod did you finally go for? I notice from re-reading RC's original thread that you were somewhat undecided at one time.

I don't have sport chrono and am trying to decide which is best for me.

I have sport chrono. I simply disconnect the electrical connector. I first did the vacuum hose mod when I had the PSE installed but the electrical is alot easier. You don't have to disconnect and then plug the hose.

I have the hack in place. I will post pics of what was done later. Quite tidy though, no need for tape...

In the meantime can anyone tell me if after fitting PSE they get like a 'psssssst-psssssst' noise when changing throttle now? It's really bugging me.

I'm going to undo the hack (tube method) later today to see if it makes any difference. Otherwise, back to the dealer again

Okay, I put the PSE back to standard and I still get the rattle (I decided its more of a rattle than a pssst noise) even in PSE off mode - less so when off than when on though. So I took the car back to the dealer and went out with one of the engineers. He told me that the noise was due to the PSE flaps vibrating and was normal.

Anyway, below is the pic of the hack I have in place...

NOTES:
    - Yes I know it's not the exact hose disconnect that RC recommended but I was told that it didn't matter which one you took out.
    - Apparently the 'plug' hack achieves the same thing BUT if you get dirt etc into the resulting ends then you could do some serious damage.
    - The long black thin pipe is not closed off as was worried about air expanding/contracting in the closed tube. It's there purely to stop dust getting in, and to tidy it up by pushing it down the back (pulled out for the pic below)
    - Rubber cap goes over other exposed end
    - The whole thing takes 10 seconds to put on and off

I seem to remember that someone posted a 'fix', for non-sport chrono cars, that involved disconnecting the feed to the speedo head. I tried to find the post again but with no luck.

Apparently it wasn't a DIY job and involved a labour charge, but had the big advantage of removing the cut-off whilst retaining (but only on non-SC cars) the ability to switch PSE on or off at the OEM console switch.

I think this would be what I'm looking for - can anyone point me in the right direction?? Many thanks.

Found the posts I was looking for - they were from "Red 911"

He said:- (Quote)

"Another alternative is to disconnect the feed to the speedo head. This was recommended by the dealer that I am purchasing my car from. The advantage of this is that the console switch still operates. The disadvantage is that the dealership is charging me $250.00 to do the disconnect. Apparently, it is a 2-3 hour job. I do prefer this method due to the fact that I have 100% control as to whether the exhaust is muted or not and can control it by the console OEM switch. The dealership did say the the disconnect of the hose would work with its obvious disadvantage."

He then said:- (Quote)

"I talked to the dealership today and they said the speedo disconnect will NOT work if you have the sport chrono package. If you don't, it WILL work. Unfortunately, I also have the sport chrono package. However, they did suggest that rather than disconnect the hose and have it in PSE mode all the time they could fabricate a small on-off value that would allow me to turn it on and off via the value. I am go with this since it would be much easier than connecting and disconnecting the rubber feed line. Plus you don't have to contend with plugging the two holes and then somehow securing the line. Hope this helps others." (Unquote)

If this works - it would certainly help me.

In fact it would be be the ideal solution for those of us without Sport Chrono.

Red 911 - do you have any follow-up on this method?

Anyone tried it? Any comments?

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Okay, I put the PSE back to standard and I still get the rattle (I decided its more of a rattle than a pssst noise) even in PSE off mode - less so when off than when on though. So I took the car back to the dealer and went out with one of the engineers. He told me that the noise was due to the PSE flaps vibrating and was normal.

Hi Alex,

I'm not getting any of the noises you describe so can't see that it's normal for PSE! I haven't done a mod yet though - still trying to find the best one for my car without Sport Chrono.

Where did you get the tubes etc. you've used for your hack?

Hey John, I actually asked the OPC what they recommended *should* I do the mod myself, and then subsequently they *lent* me the rubber cap and the long black plastic tube

With regards to the noise, I was told by the engineer categorically that it was normal, that it's the flaps in the PSE unit vibrating. I actually took the guy out in the car to illustrate what I was hearing, so there couldn't be any ambiguity over my description.

He did say though that if it gets worse then I should bring the car back and they would take another look

But it does it all the time and it really does bug me, especially with the roof down! Once warmed up it does it every 20 seconds or so (not that it's a regular interval at all). So I will see if it goes away on it's own in the next week and then take it back if it's still there

Anyone else out there have any 'extra' little noises with their PSE? It sounds like a little spring vibrating on the opposite rear side of the car to the driving position. Comes and goes every 20 secs or so - even with PSE switched off. It wasn't there with my old standard exhaust.

It's driving me mad and my OPC says it's 'normal'...

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Anyone else out there have any 'extra' little noises with their PSE? It sounds like a little spring vibrating on the opposite rear side of the car to the driving position. Comes and goes every 20 secs or so - even with PSE switched off. It wasn't there with my old standard exhaust.

It's driving me mad and my OPC says it's 'normal'...

No, I don't hear any extra noises... just pure PSE.

Really sorry Alex but this just doesn't sound normal!!

Another visit to the dealer I'm afraid.

Just one question - did you get these noises before you did the mod??

I'm becoming paranoid about these hacks. The sound I have is great apart from the cut-off. I know my position is different from yours due to you having S.C. but I would dearly love to hear from anyone who has done the "Feed to the Speed" mod on a non-SCP car.

This could be #5, but could also be the best for me.

Hope we can clear this up soon.

OK, took the car in this morning to my OPC. After taking out the Service Engineer and his manager they all agreed that the noise was not at all normal. So the Service guy called Porsche Technical in Germany and found out that there was another case in Germany which has the same problem right now. Apparently the exhaust muffler needs replacing, something about the valves getting stuck when opening/closing.

So now I have to wait who-knows-how-long for new mufflers to come in

Sorry to hear this Alex, what a bugger after waiting so long for PSE in the first place.

Did you have the noises before you did the 'hack'? Just wondering if there's a connection there?

Still haven't touched mine - waiting for some further info on the 'Feed to the speedo' method.

BTW - whilst waiting in my OPC today I found a price list for Tequipment Options for the 997 range.

Here's the listings for the Sport page including PSE...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802865 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448449 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265984 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89992 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6468 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885487 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832650 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM