Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Lurching

There is a very interesting Rennlist thread on the hesitation some Cayenne owners experience with their cars (web page). This has been noted and written about in many places and is likely the most common and universal complaint of owners. The problem manifests itself only in automatic mode. There is sometimes a significant lag between the time when the accelerator is pressed and when the car accelerates. This often happens at the most inopportune times, such as when you are driving slowly, trying to merge with traffic. You see an opening, pull into traffic and hit the throttle. The car pauses while you watch the traffic approach. Eventually the car takes off with a roar.

The problem does not occur in Tiptronic manual mode or when PSM is switched off. I originally thought it was only a transmission downshifting issue but, while that is part of the problem, it also involves the drive-by-wire throttle.

It is rumored that Porsche now has a fix for the problem. Many owners are taking their vehicles in and getting a software update that solves the issue. Other owners (myself for instance) are being told by the dealer that Porsche has not yet made a fix available. Which leaves us in a bit of a lurch.

Re: Lurching

Thanks for the info GM
    I will attack my dealer and tell them your name if they do not believe me:)

I test drove the Cayenne a few weeks ago, both the S and Turbo and noticed the same thing. It's pretty bad. I thought it was a turbo lag thing, never drove the 996 twin though so couldn't compare. I have a GT3 and I remember thinking to myself if the Turbo is anything like this, I'm glad I have the GT3.

I guess if you are driving it as a SUV its ok, but if you drive it like a sports car, its pretty ugly.

When you drive it like a sports car it adapts and there is no hesitation. You very quickly get a different throttle and shift mapping with aggressive driving. It's the slow, stop and go, heavy traffic driving that makes it lazy and inattentive.

I had my Service Manager Contact his Porsche Rep last week to get the low down on this.. I will be taking mine in this week for the fix.. will see how it goes..

Ask if this is official or unofficial, I was just invited to take mine in a week Thursday for them to try some "unofficial" things to fix the problem.

Wierd

Does this problem exist on the Turbo as well and if so can it be fixed with a software update.

I will pick up my Cayenne Turbo in a couple of weeks in Leipzig.

I have not driven the Turbo but I have read of Turbo owners having the same symptoms. I believe it is a software issue since the problem disappears when you turn off PSM or drive aggressively. There is just something wrong with the default drive-by-wire mapping that goes away when the DME switches to a different map.

Don't let this interfere with your purchase plans. My car could have this problem indefinitely and I would still love driving it. You learn to compensate with the way you drive. Still, it is something that seems fixable and we should keep up the pressure on Porsche until they do. As I said, it is the most common complaint I hear about the Cayenne. I also continue to hear reports of owners going to their dealer over the past couple of weeks and getting a software fix but I can't get any official confirmation of this.

Quote:
    I will pick up my Cayenne Turbo in a couple of weeks in Leipzig.

Don't worry, your Cayenne will be OK. As far as I heard, Cayennes build after the christmas holiday will have some further updates/bug fixes/improvements/whateveryouwanttocallit.

New Lurching News

My dealer sent me an e-mail confirming that there is a software update to correct the issue and they have not received any complaints from those receiving it.

Time to schedule a visit to the service department.

What about other issues like

condensation in the headlights or brakes.

CF, I didn't know you are also getting a Cayenne Turbo, congrats!
    A CGT for the track and pleasure and a Cayenne for everyday, nice one dude! I would have chosen a 996 Turbo though but that's personal opinion.
    About that lurching thing though, that confirms what RC has always said about any new car in general.
    The first model year always has a couple of bugs to fix.
    Nothing major, but it's frequent to have recalls nowadays.
    But it's tough taking a decision between waiting for the car of you dreams and know the bugs will be fixed or get the first one but taking the risk of a few bugs.
    My 996 is an 02 model and it cames with bugs!!!
    Alarm was screwed up, the windscreen washer was screwed up. Nothing major but it's annoying.
    Fanch.

Re: What about other issues like

The headlights are purposely vented to allow for evaporation. Drive with the lights on for a while to heat the air inside the housing. A completely sealed unit would add weight and cost if you were to have to replace it.

Re: New Lurching News

Quote:
    My dealer sent me an e-mail confirming that there is a software update to correct the issue and they have not received any complaints from those receiving it.

Time to schedule a visit to the service department.

Interesting. I had some interesting talks today and nobody knows anything about a software update regarding the transmission "issue". I'd be surprised to hear that this is a problem on US cars only. Maybe your dealer was a little bit too fast promising something? When you get there, ask him to read the service information regarding the software update. I don't know your dealer and don't want to say anything bad but I know several cases where customers made complaints and dealers did a software upgrade but there never were actually such updates available. This is one method to shut up a customer who complaints to often and sometimes it even seems to work.

Well

Your answer is what we have as an answer from the service dept.

But it is not enough for my customers and if I were a Cayenne owner it would not be.

I couldn't resist to come out to my garage and see my 996TT with shiny headlights and my Cayenne Turbo with foggy headlights, like one of my customers. The other has a Cayenne S and a C2, same deal. Would you accept a foggy Rolex? No other cars in the market have that problem, its odd to have to answer to that. Now is common knowlegde that when a headlight is foggy is either broken or with some sort of deffect, nonetheless the Cayenne's is supposed to be that way...

The other argument is that when lights are turned on water come off the glass but in reality is heat that evaporates that water, nonetheless there is humidity within the headlights atmosphere, so water will never go away, this in the long run may ruin the aluminum finish inside the headlight and/or turn the lexan glass yellowish.

I'm not trying to make this harder but I just don't find a reasonable answer to this issue.

Quote:
    I don't know your dealer and don't want to say anything bad but I know several cases where customers made complaints and dealers did a software upgrade but there never were actually such updates available. This is one method to shut up a customer who complaints to often and sometimes it even seems to work.

Yes, I have been suspicious of this myself, especially since I was in there a week ago and no one knew of updates. I am also aware they read this forum. But, whether there is a software update or not, if they can make the hesitation go away then I will be happy. The results will be straightforward. If they are successful, I will try to get all the information on this I can.

Oops, I actually meant "ask your dealer to SHOW you the officialy Porsche service information regarding a software update".
    Well, keep us informed, Gary.

I had my TT updated with the software last week. Although it took the dealer overnight to get the software update installed properly (!) the result has been an amazing improvement in the responsiveness of the vehicle. It is a completely different truck...and even more fun than before! Highly recommended.

kyzyl

Silver '04 TT

Quote:
    I had my TT updated with the software last week. Although it took the dealer overnight to get the software update installed properly (!) the result has been an amazing improvement in the responsiveness of the vehicle. It is a completely different truck...and even more fun than before! Highly recommended.

kyzyl

Silver '04 TT

I know you think I'm crazy but would you ask your dealer to show you a copy of the service information regarding this software update? If you then throw a look on it, would you please try to remember the service code? Thanks.

any update on this subject? I have my S scheduled for service because of this same problem. Anyone see the service bullitin? Thanx in advance

I have not seen anything definitive. I have heard of others taking their Cayennes in for this issue and coming away happy so it seems there is something going on. The sales manager at my dealer said there has been a software update out for a couple of weeks that has been successful. Again, nothing specific and no information on a TSB. Maybe the fix is still informal/unofficial, I don't know. I do have mine scheduled for the 12th to have the update installed. Until then I will continue to monitor reports from owners who have had the update and I will report any news here.

For those experiencing this problem I have the following Information. After taking my 04 S into the dealer along with a copy of this thread I am happy to report that the problem was solved. Altering the mapping for the DSE control module was accomplished by reflashing it. The improvement in drivability is staggering

I agree that this fix does eliminate the so called lurching problem and I am glad it did, the snow storms we had in the NE this weekend would have proven a challenge without this additional level of proportional control over the engine.

As it is the Cayenne was great in every situation, and based on other reports SUV's should come with a health warning

"You Cannot Defeat Newton's Law"

Its Drivers that crash not SUV's
    (no I am not a member of the NRA)

Do you have any specific information from the fix that you could share? What was the service description or code from the repair ticket?

I have an appointment for the 12th and I think they are only planning a transmission operation.

I think this was correct

- Throttle valve and kickdown adaptation *TU 20*(DC24640110001)
    - DME chip software update

Have not got my paperwork yet, I did get 2003 disks from Navtech today, mine has to go back in for the PCMII version 3.0 update.

The exact description no the repair order that fixed the lurching problem on my 04 S is as follows:

opcode-24701999 Description-reprogram DME control module

opcode-03350000 Description-on board diagnostics

opcode37010000 Description-tiptronic OBD

Get this done!!-It makes a world of difference. It kept me from selling the vehicle

Thank You Fred!

This is the most definitive information we have yet. Excellent. Now we will see if my dealer has any idea what these codes are.

Thanks again.

Called my dealer today and he said he knows nothing about a software update.
    Is there anyone in Europe he has has the dealer update????

I drive around with the PSM off and it drive much better!!

Quote:
    Called my dealer today and he said he knows nothing about a software update.
    Is there anyone in Europe he has has the dealer update????

I drive around with the PSM off and it drive much better!!

Same over here. This is really strange. If I'd own a Cayenne it would be much easier for me to get the necessary information.

RC,

In the interest of helping us all out, you should buy one.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762483 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435376 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257578 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80950 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872292 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807661 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM