Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

wash 997s

Wich products are the best to wash your 997s? Can you guys help me...Thanks!!!

Re: wash 997s

I've tried hundreds of different products and came up with a system to wash and dry my babies that works best for me for various reasons.

Use a good car wash soap. Fill a bucket w/ water and use the hose to work up a good amount of suds. (make sure you wash the bucket out after each wash)

1st - I only wash my car in the shade and make sure the paint isn't hot from the engine or sun. If it's very hot water acts like a magnifying glass.

I stopped using bath towels and sheepskin mits. I use a boars hair brush. I keep all my car wash products in one bucket and use another to fill with water and soap. Here's the buckets and brush I use:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=66075

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=66073

2)Hose off the car.
    3)With lots of soapy water and water on the brush wash off the top 3/4's of the car, let the soap and water run down the bottom 1/4.
    4)With another boars hair brush - A smaller one w/ a handle wash the bottom 1/4 of the car. (this prevents the majority of dirt on the car on the bottom from making it's way to most of your paint and the most visible areas). Dunk this in the water and use it along the bottom 1/4 of the car:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=92547

5)Then I like to get the water off before I tackle the wheels. Don't have to get it fully dry, just to get off the majority of beads. Use this water blade. It may seem strange as hell but I use it everytime I wash my cars now. It's a lifesaver over dragging towels over the car to dry it:(I tried Griots squeegie and it doesn't work nearly as good as this)
    http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1006&cid=100

6) Use something like this brush for the wheels.
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=92567

If they're really dirty this stuff works great before you brush them:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?SKUupsell=11106

7) To dry use this towel. You only need this one towel to dry the whole car including the standing water in the bonnet and engine. I bet anything You will be blown away at how much better it is then what you're using now to dry your car:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1003&SKU=11023

Then a good glass cleaner for the windows etc.

I don't like Griots wax. I can't find the stuff I use but it is a Meguiars Glaze like this:
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/yhst-69137106204828/meg159.html

For in between washes/waxes use these micro-fiber towels with "speed-shine":
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1004&SKU=11115

"speed shine" will also blow you away. Good stuff. I keep the little bottle of it with one of the yellow micro fiber towels in each car. You can use it on any surface. I've even use it on glass when I don't have glass cleaner with me. Stuff is da bomb.
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=11146

Make sure to hose off the brushes before you put them away. This may seem long but it's so much faster and safer then using lots of towels that can trap dirt and you have to keep washing and drying.

WOW! Fantastic. Thanks for the great detailed info.

Andrew

Using a good soap is important, especially to your rubber and plastic trim. I'm not a big fan of brushes of any kind, because you lose all tactile feedback. When I'm washing, I need to feel the surface with my hands. It's the way I monitor myself from being too aggressive on bugs or tar, or just stubborn dirt. Your hands are big communicators, and alot of the trick to not harming your paint is in being gentle and tactilely in-tune with what you're doing. Sounds goofy, but there you go.

I use soft, cotton terry hand towels for the washing.

There's nothing harmful or wrong with using a boars hair brush. It's just a personal preference thing.

Sheepskin mits are absolute MURDER to your paint, if you own one, throw it away. You may as well be using sandpaper.

Microfiber towels are super. But good quality expensive cotton bath towels are also dandy for drying. Cheap WalMart towels don't get it. I also use the water blade, it's dandy for getting the majority of the wet off, so you don't wind up soaking your towels.

I dry off using a two-towel method, drying off small sections at a time, starting at the roof and working down.

I'll disagree with Stradale on one point: I wash my wheels, and my wheel well areas, and my exhaust, FIRST, BEFORE I wet the rest of the car and wash it. I believe this is far preferable to washing the car, then quickly half drying it, and then doing the wheels and the bottom of the car. That sounds like alot of extra work to me, and getting mist and spray back on areas that you've already dried once. Of course, everybody is saying "but then you get your wash cloth or brush, and your wash water, all dirty and polluted and contaminated". No, I don't. I wash the wheels and wheel wells and exhaust first, and THEN, I dump my soap solution and mix a brand-new bucket of suds, with a clean new applicator. That way I can attack washing the car, and dry the entire car, in quick order.

You really want to make the time between hosing the car down, and drying it off, as quick as possible, to avoid spotting and/or etching. Getting the time-consuming wheels and wheelwells out of the way first, beforehand, really helps.

Lastly, the most important thing of all, is CONTAMINATION. You've got to have clean towels and materials, devoid of any foreign substances. If you accidentally drop your wash rag or drying towel on the ground, toss it in the hamper and get a fresh one. Keep your towels HIGH on a shelf, not close to the ground. Make sure your good towels don't get washed with your bad towels (you know, the towels you use to wipe up garage spills). The worst damage to your paint will come when some foreign object, like a glass splinter, or a big grain of sand, or a sand spur, anything, gets caught in the nap of your towel.

Lastly, dry your jambs, and use a wet-dry vac to suck water from the base of the mirrors, the taillamps and headlamps, and elsewhere where water likes to come streaming out of when you go for your first drive.

Boss ur the bomb. Thanks for saving me research on the internet. Although I did have to shell out for a new dictionary to decipher some of your posts

I agree... BOSS and Stradale [& countless others too] have influenced me to the highest degree that I am looking at car washing so differently...

IN FACT! I have paperwork in front of me about purchasing a car was/oil change shop in Woodland-Cal

Good post Bossman. One thing I really disagree with is the cotton terry hand towels. I won't use them anymore for washing or drying my cars. (I'll only use them to dry my wheels) To me it's a no, no. I stopped using cotton hand towels a long time ago because of the experiences I've had with scratches from dirt particles getting trapped and raking them across the paint. (keep in mind you live in Florida, in NY dirt is....different) It happened to me a few times (scratched my paint while washing and drying with a cotton towel) but I didn't know what else to use. Don't care how sensitive a touch you have if you're washing with a bath towel there's no-way you can feel a particle of dirt in the towel before it damages the paint. I went from cotton towels to sheepskin mits to cotton fiber mits to another mit, don't remember what it's called to the boars hair brush currently which I find works best, quickest and safest. Chances of a piece of dirt adhering to a hair strand and scratching the paint is basically nill. (Hasn't happened to me yet, knock on wood) The brush is imo the most gentle and effective tool you can use. It wont remove tar, etc but if I see tar or anything else after it's cleaned I clean it seperately. Plus towels get so dirty and then you have to wash them. dry them. Etc. etc.

boss- do yourself a favor and try that one towel I mentioned above for drying. Not the micro-fiber polishing towels. If you're already using the water blade This little towel will absorb all the rest of the water on a 997.
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1003&SKU=11023

You know when the cotton towel starts to get wet it starts to streak water across the paint instead of absorbing it ? And then you need to use another towel ? This one towel acts like a sponge and towel at the same time. All you'll need is the one. And again it doesn't have the cotton towel loops that either catch logos or can trap dirt particles.

I guess I wasn't clear in my post above about the washing part. I don't wash it and then quickly half dry it and then do the wheels and bottom of the car.......... I wash the top 3/4 of the car with one brush (the large boars hair brush), use another brush for the rest of the car. Plus a third actually for the wheels wells then hose off and water blade most of the water off. Then do the wheels. But come to think of it if I do the wheels first like you said it would just be one additional step of dumping that water to mix up another fresh bucket to wash the car... COOL! If I know anything, I know I don't know everything ! That's a good tip Bossman. Thanks.

And even better then sucking the additional water from the mirrors, panel seams- I have a vaccuum that sucks on one side and blows on the other (Hee, hee STOP!) Seriously it's a cheap vaccumm I keep in my garage and all you do is take the plastic hose and reverse the hole it fits in. So it blows out enough air to blow out the water from mirrors and from between panels that will wind up blowing onto your car when you first drive away.

My wife thinks I'm nuts but I enjoy the hell out of washing my babies. It's therapy for me. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What the hey! A picture is worth a thousand words. And if not on this thread then where would the following pic fit in ?

btw: I missed a key thing. Make sure one of your buckets (for your suds) is on wheels.

Stradale,

Your post just cost me 200 bucks! Griots has a great site. Bought lots of unique stuff like a paint squeegy and a little spray bottle of bug removal for long road trips. They even have a detailer's handbook for $12.
    Another site that has better waxing products is www.Autogeek.com

-----------
    '06 Carrera S blk/blk (next week!!!!)
    '01 Audi S8
    '97 Boxster (soon to be sold)
    '04 Ski Doo Summit 800 X

Goto the automatic car wash you obsessive OCDs

(somewhere someone just had a heart attack reading this)

Quote:
    Gary No Cal said:
    Stradale,

Your post just cost me 200 bucks! Griots has a great site. Bought lots of unique stuff like a paint squeegy and a little spray bottle of bug removal for long road trips. They even have a detailer's handbook for $12.

-----------
    '01 Audi S8
    '04 Ski Doo Summit 800 X

LOL!! Sorry. But they do have great stuff.

About the GRIOT'S squeegie. I tried it and didn't like it as much as the "water blade" from California Car Cover Co. I posted a link to it above. Wait here:
    http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1006&cid=100

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Goto the automatic car wash you obsessive OCDs

(somewhere someone just had a heart attack reading this)

"AUTOMATIC CAR WASH" ?????????
    That's a sin.

My cars don't get that dirty. If yours go from one garage to another and back again, you don't really need to use soap every time which strips off wax.

Two non-soap ways to clean slightly dirty cars:

I get large packs of small terry towels from home depot and dampen four of them and use them to wipe off car followed by several clean dry towels. Turn all towels frequently; replace when slightly dirty

second non-soap method: just use water from a hose and clean car without soap.

Wheels? wax them and then never use wheel cleaner unless you intend to wax them again. That wheel cleaner stuff seems so bogus, reapeated harsh alkaline exposure and for what? Brake dust just wipes off with sponge and a stream of water.

You're crazy dude.
    Dampen towels and wipe them on a dirty car ?
    Why not just wait till it rains, let the car get wet and use towels to wipe off the dirt.
    Don't know where you live but in NY your method would just about kill a paint job lickity split.
    Sorry. Don't mean to sound harsh.

Nice way of drying a dark coloured car without creating scratches or swirls is to use a leafblower. Takes half the time, gets into those stubborn areas and will NOT scratch your car no matter what you do.

Everyone will think you gone nuts though...

Hey Boss?

Everyone has their own little way of detailing their cars. I have found the sheep skin mitts good. Before using I'll blast it clean with the hose. That also softens it up. Why don't you like them and why do you think they scratch more than others? Once wet and clean they seem like they clean real well. I haven't noticed anymore scratches than other stuff.

Stradale, thanks for all the great tips. PS, do you own stock in Griots, haha. I got the micro towel you said to get and the Cal. water blade from another source. Those things are the bomb. Man I can not believe I have been wasting so much time and energy wringing out those POS micro fiber just to get all that water off my cars before now. With the blade, just swish and it is gone, you are the man. Of course I had to get a bunch of other junk too. But I did not get the speed shine so I guess it is back to Griots for more stuff.

Thanks a lot Stradale and Boss!

Quote:
    Gary No Cal said:
    Stradale,

-----------
    '01 Audi S8
    '04 Ski Doo Summit 800 X

JUST NUTS! thats what I got when my wife saw the boxes from griots LOL

Seems like this obsession w/personally meticulously washing cars is more of a US issue than in Euro. I enjoy thrashing my blk Ps on mtn roads every wkend (after using car for commuting duty all wk) and living w/the inevitable stone chips, etc...I take cars to an SF hand carwash place every 2 wks or so, where they seem to do a solid, non-swirl-inflicting job (for $40 and while I wait 30 mins or so)....and IMO even when blk cars are dirty (as often in SF's winter rainy season), a dirty blk/blk, new P/F just has a bad-a$$, old-money look of been there, done that and getting a new toy in a few mths anyway.....but to each his own.....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Seems like this obsession w/personally meticulously washing cars is more of a US issue than in Euro. I enjoy thrashing my blk Ps on mtn roads every wkend (after using car for commuting duty all wk) and living w/the inevitable stone chips, etc...I take cars to an SF hand carwash place every 2 wks or so, where they seem to do a solid, non-swirl-inflicting job (for $40 and while I wait 30 mins or so)....and IMO even when blk cars are dirty (as often in SF's winter rainy season), a dirty blk/blk, new P/F just has a bad-a$$, old-money look of been there, done that and getting a new toy in a few mths anyway.....but to each his own.....

What're you getting in a few months, VK?

Quote:
    Gary No Cal said:
    Stradale,

I also spent about $300 on Griot's stuff when I got my car 8 months ago.
    Stradale, your garage looks just like mine (except for the car), same grey floor, minus the speckles, and the blacktop, and all the Griot's products.

er is mail onderweg

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    You're crazy dude.
    Dampen towels and wipe them on a dirty car ?
    Why not just wait till it rains, let the car get wet and use towels to wipe off the dirt.
    Don't know where you live but in NY your method would just about kill a paint job lickity split.
    Sorry. Don't mean to sound harsh.

No problem; I know it sounds BAD (in a bad way). I'm careful to avoid the lower parts especially around the fenders where tires kick up road grime. Basically I just do the top body panels and a little bit down the doors and fenders. When those nether regions get really dirty I use a hose. It works. As for the wet towels it teaches you the meaning of "turn frequently."

be careful with the water blade. i had it pick up some dirt and put a long scratch on my car. i will not use it anymore. microfibers are the only way to go.

Thanks Stradale and Bossnine. I just ordered all of the exact stuff Stradale posted - $300.00 but WTF considering I am picking up my 2006 997S today!!!

I will add to the thread to 'pay it forward'. During the 4 month wait, I completely rebuilt my garage (I know - another obsessive guy here). I purchased and installed a new hose reel and while at it, I purchased and installed an air compressor (decent size tank too!!) with a 100' air reel hose with a whole bunch of attachments. Primarily I got that tank to maintain tire pressures and to fill the kids balls, toys, etc.

However, one of the attachments that I got for the air reel is the cleaner / sprayer. This is NOT a pressure washer. Instead, its a 90 PSI attachment with a second small 6 foot clear hose (similar to a fish tank air filter hose) and you drop that hose into a tank of cleaner liquid. Then, it sprays the perfect pressure of air and cleaner out of the tip of the attachment. Again, not pressure washer power - but gentle power. Kind of like the dentist's air hose tool but a bit more powerful.

This is PERFECT for cleaning wheels. Drop the clear hose into the wheel cleaner and with the 2' wand you can hit the cracks and crevaces of the wheels. Also, as one poster mentioned, you can use the wand without any liquid to spray out the areas that have trapped water.

So, consider an air compressor for your garage. Its great for tires (cleaning and filling) and all sorts of other stuff.

-adam

Forgot to mention.... Griot's got that carbon fiber toilet seat I know you are all looking for!!!

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_3000&L2=L2_3000&SKU=44631

Quote:
    1080iAddict said:

So, consider an air compressor for your garage. Its great for tires (cleaning and filling) and all sorts of other stuff.

-adam

Oh, you simply must have an air compressor! 5 gallon minimum for using air tools.

I have alway used Zaino brand waxes and gloss finishers for the best paint protection and shine. Their products are a bit expensive, but worth every penny - especially the Z6 enhancer spray.

I will definitely use these products on my first P (2006 4S) when it arrives this fall.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Zaino

Quote:
    The Stig said:
    Nice way of drying a dark coloured car without creating scratches or swirls is to use a leafblower. Takes half the time, gets into those stubborn areas and will NOT scratch your car no matter what you do.

Everyone will think you gone nuts though...

I've heard of people doing that to dry. If I had a leafblower I would defintately try it. I'm sure you'd still have to use a drying towel as you wouldn't want to open the doors and bonnet and blow water into the car but guess it would work for the rest. That's why I use the reverse vacumm- to blow out standing water from the mirrors, foglights/headlights/panels.

Quote:
    porsche nut said:
    Stradale, thanks for all the great tips. PS, do you own stock in Griots, haha. I got the micro towel you said to get and the Cal. water blade from another source. Those things are the bomb. Man I can not believe I have been wasting so much time and energy wringing out those POS micro fiber just to get all that water off my cars before now. With the blade, just swish and it is gone, you are the man. Of course I had to get a bunch of other junk too. But I did not get the speed shine so I guess it is back to Griots for more stuff.

LOL!! Nope. No stock in Griots. Matter of fact don't even know if they're a publicly traded co.
    You're welcome. The only thing I get out of it is a great feeling reading your comments. I admit I'm Obsessive Compulsive with this stuff. I've tried so many different ways to wash my cars. If I can pass on something I've learned through my sickness to other car nuts I want to.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763104 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435714 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260705 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257690 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80994 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872610 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808059 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM