Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Anybody doing the PSE retrofit w/ Newport Auto Center?

and if so, what kind of price did they quote you?

Re: Anybody doing the PSE retrofit w/ Newport Auto Center?

Ok, how about anywhere in LA / Orange County???

LOL !
    Figure I'd jump in before the search area is expanded.
    NY - $2050 for the exhaust. $300 for labor.

btw: To be fair the labor probably should have been more . The dealer owed me a favor.

Not bad. The great thing about Newport Auto Center is you can walk over to several places for a good lunch and couple of drinks while your car is being worked on. The main reason I'm asking though, is I don't want my car to be a guinea pig as far as the PSE retrofit is concerned.

Beverly Hills Porsche quoted me as follows:
    SPORT EXHAUST 997S
    PARTS $2,160.03
    TAX $178.20
    LABOR $1,200
    TOTAL $3,538.23

Rusnak Westlake Porsche quoted me:
    $2900.00 parts and labor for installation. The exhaust system is $2091.00, and we have to order from Germany, and labor is $805.00 (that's with sports chrono).

Roger Beasley Porsche in Austin

@2k for PSE;
    $700 for install

Dealer asked for a full day and a half for install, during that time will put me in a Hertz rental car at its expense

Patriot

Anybody bother to keep the stock exhaust after they removed it?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Not bad. The great thing about Newport Auto Center is you can walk over to several places for a good lunch and couple of drinks while your car is being worked on. The main reason I'm asking though, is I don't want my car to be a guinea pig as far as the PSE retrofit is concerned.

Concern understood. It was something I was worried about as well because my car was the "guinea pig" but everything turned out fine.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Anybody bother to keep the stock exhaust after they removed it?

Unless the dealer is willing to offer you cash on the spot definately take the stock exhaust w/ you. Mine is in a box in my basement. I only plan on holding this car till the 997 TT Cab. is released so the next owner may want it. I also considered selling it on Ebay along with a stock Viper exhaust that's keeping it company. Unless you absolutely have zero room to put it, I'd hold onto it.

I held on to mine as well.

downtown porsche quoted me $5k for it.. too much...
    also, I want to make sure the job is done right.. anything that would mess up the flow of air out of the exhaust could affect performance (ie bad weld job)... hopefully is all bolt on.. does anyone know?

I just got quoted 12 hours to do the retrofit at Newport Auto Center. That's approximately $3400 total for the parts and labor, not including taxes. Now I know why I didn't buy my 997S from them in the first place.

Quote:
    adam s said:

Adam, you are getting seriously ripped off. I suggest we add "Porsche of Downtown LA" to the Rennteam black book of dealers, along with "Porsche of Beverly Hills" and "Newport Auto Center".

Quote:
    adam s said:
    also, I want to make sure the job is done right.. anything that would mess up the flow of air out of the exhaust could affect performance (ie bad weld job)... hopefully is all bolt on.. does anyone know?

No welding or cutting. All parts bolt in place replacing original parts.

Thanks guys for both responding...
    I have been trying to get information on relative weights...
    I am trying to find out if the PSE is actually heavier than the original... I do track days often and weight savings is important.... does anyone have the data?

I assume PSE is heavier only because compared with the stock exhaust, there is the additional pipe on each muffler, as well as the flap valve mechanism. Not a lot of weight, too be sure, but probably more rather than less. I have no idea what is different inside the mufflers.

Quote:
    adam s said:
    Thanks guys for both responding...
    I have been trying to get information on relative weights...
    I am trying to find out if the PSE is actually heavier than the original... I do track days often and weight savings is important.... does anyone have the data?

I have the standard exhaust in a box so if someone were able to find out the PSE weight from somewhere I could easily weigh the stock exhaust system.

Whats the deal with the extensive cost from the dealer for install. I can understand the 2k plus tax for the exhaust. There is absolutely no love for the install price. I know the switch is the bitch, but honestly the prices seem out of hand. Ive had so many custom exhausts done and Ive never recalled one that was over a few hundred dollars for the time. IMO since it is a bolt on that should only take no more than a couple of hours. Does the switch take a whole day to two for install that seems very long to me. How complicated is the install?? Why cant Porsche just have a plug and play bolt on that is active througout. I think the button is a waste. I know that for some it is ideal because of the noise, but isnt that the point to have the sound??

I don't know but I just got a 10 hour quote from Circle Porsche in Long Beach. That's only a little better than 12 hours from Newport Auto Center. That's a day and a half for the installation! But at least Newport Auto Center is only a few miles from mile home, instead of 25 miles.

I had PSE installed at Rusnak Westlake yesterday. I left my car at 7:30 AM and picked it up completed and washed at 4:30 PM. Installation labor cost was $805, as quoted. Time shown on paperwork indicated 7 hours.

My 997S has Sport Chrono package, so no additional switch was required. They installed mufflers, the electric change-over valve, vacuum lines and connection to DME behind rear seat.

Applied the "RC fix" when I got home. Sounds way better when ON full-time. I can always switch back to the designed operation with the "Sport" button, should I tire of hearing the sound of the PSE. Seems unlikely at the moment.

Quote:
    DD694 said:
    I had PSE installed at Rusnak Westlake yesterday. I left my car at 7:30 AM and picked it up completed and washed at 4:30 PM. Installation labor cost was $805, as quoted. Time shown on paperwork indicated 7 hours.

Hmmm. I could have them drop me off at a golf course and play 36 holes, while saving $500, compared to Newport Auto Center. The 80 mile drive might be worth it!!!

Bill,
    Thanks again for all the info.
    So first impressions?
    was it worth it?
    how is the sound?
    some people say it is not as loud as 996 PSE...
    some people say it is higher pitch and not as nice as 996 PSE..
    I take it with a grain of salt as I doubt porsche would not fine tune this sound on their latest machine to be better...
    as someone who heard both before and after and previous porsches... what do you say?

I like it very much. With the full-time ON modification it sounds noticeably louder than stock exhaust, I put a plug in the vacuum supply line to avoid vacuum loss in the system and a possible warning notice per the Porsche technician who installed the system for me.

With the standard set-up the loss of the PSE output from 30 to 50 MPH makes the PSE much less apparent. That speed range is exactly the range through which one generally accelerates and when the PSE makes its presence most noticeable. At highway speeds, the PSE is hardly intrusive or tiring. I have only had it on my car since Tuesday, so I have not logged many miles on it yet.

I gather from posts by other PSE owners that the system seems to only get better as the miles are added through the system.

I think the PSE sounds like a Porsche sports car should. On the 996 it was an even more noticeable improvement becuase the stock exhaust on the 996 was so quiet. The stock exhaust on the 997S is not bad compared to the 996, but the 997S with PSE is reeeeeeally nice!

Thanks for the info. What kind of plug did you use to plug the vacuum hose? Did the dealer have one handy? I'm thinking of doing the same thing to mine when I have it installed next week...

Quote:
    Elfer04 said:
    Thanks for the info. What kind of plug did you use to plug the vacuum hose? Did the dealer have one handy? I'm thinking of doing the same thing to mine when I have it installed next week...

And where are you having it installed and at what price, if I may be bold enough to ask???

Quote:
    Elfer04 said:

I was given a spare Curved Sheath, P/N 928.574.717.03, or similar (it is a molded rubber elbow) and a piece of Tekalan 4 x 1 tubing (black plastic vacuum line), P/N 999.181.374.40 or similar, about six inches long.

I pulled the vacuum line from the curved sheath attached to the electric change-over valve, leaving the curved sheath attached to the port on this valve. (See RC's modification for loudness photos near the top of the main page of the 997 forum.)

I slid the spare curved sheath over the end of the tube I had just removed. In the other end of this curved sheath I inserted a piece of the Tekalan tubing about 1-1/2" long.

In the open end of this tube I inserted a 3/4" long nail that I found in my hardware boxes that was a slight interference fit into the tubing.

I then inserted a similar piece of tubing with nail into the now open end of the curved sheath still attached to the port on the change-over valve to keep dirt out of the valve.

With two black nylon wire ties I tied the two curved sheaths side by side.

I also slid some split molded corrugated wire sheathing over the vacuum lines leading from the vacuum source on the left-hand side of the engine compartment around to the change-over valve to neaten up the spaghetti-like look of the tubing. (I may take this off again and replace it with a few well placed black nylon wire ties. In fact, now that I think about this, I am going to take it off again and use the wire ties.)

bill,
    again thanks a lot for sharing details... it is really helpful... if I may bother you a bit more... can you tell me why all the seemingly sophisticated set-up above.. I thought the RC mod was just about pulling out the left tube, and that's it... I mean... covering it with some ducktape to keep dirt out makes sense... but am I missing something else?
    Thanks again for sharing...

Quote:
    adam s said:
    bill,
    again thanks a lot for sharing details... it is really helpful... if I may bother you a bit more... can you tell me why all the seemingly sophisticated set-up above.. I thought the RC mod was just about pulling out the left tube, and that's it... I mean... covering it with some ducktape to keep dirt out makes sense... but am I missing something else?
    Thanks again for sharing...

The tube that is removed from the change-over valve comes from the engine's vacuum system source. Hence, this tube will always be drawing in air. The Porsche technician suggested to me that the car's computer could see this as a leak in the vacuum system and post an engine fault. It may be that this line is long enough that the leak is not seen as a fault condition. In my mind, however, why create another potential problem. Also, why allow an ongoing sucking in of dirt into the vacuum system. Thus, I inserted the plug. As to plugging the open port on the change-over valve, this also just seemed prudent to me. Duct tape would surely work, but seems grossly inelegant to me.

In truth, if one is planning to run the PSE ON full-time forever, there is no need to install the change-over valve, or any of the vacuum tubing additons or electrical wiring. Merely take off the existing mufflers and install the PSE mufflers. By default they are always ON.

Quote:
    DD694 said:
    Quote:
    Elfer04 said:

I was given a spare Curved Sheath, P/N 928.574.717.03, or similar (it is a molded rubber elbow) and a piece of Tekalan 4 x 1 tubing (black plastic vacuum line), P/N 999.181.374.40 or similar, about six inches long.

I pulled the vacuum line from the curved sheath attached to the electric change-over valve, leaving the curved sheath attached to the port on this valve. (See RC's modification for loudness photos near the top of the main page of the 997 forum.)

I slid the spare curved sheath over the end of the tube I had just removed. In the other end of this curved sheath I inserted a piece of the Tekalan tubing about 1-1/2" long.

In the open end of this tube I inserted a 3/4" long nail that I found in my hardware boxes that was a slight interference fit into the tubing.

I then inserted a similar piece of tubing with nail into the now open end of the curved sheath still attached to the port on the change-over valve to keep dirt out of the valve.

With two black nylon wire ties I tied the two curved sheaths side by side.

I also slid some split molded corrugated wire sheathing over the vacuum lines leading from the vacuum source on the left-hand side of the engine compartment around to the change-over valve to neaten up the spaghetti-like look of the tubing. (I may take this off again and replace it with a few well placed black nylon wire ties. In fact, now that I think about this, I am going to take it off again and use the wire ties.)

Thanks again Bill. After reading all that, I'm thinking I'll just install the mufflers. I hit the sport button as soon as I start the car anywaay.

Alan - I bought the PSE parts through Pacific Porsche, but I'm haggling with price of the installation with them - they're quoting around $1K. Also, they still think (incorrectly) that my car, which has Sport Chrono, still needs an extra button. I explained to them that I thought that was incorrect, and am waiting for them to confirm so that I can get the dang thing installed already.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691191 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410261 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256281 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65763 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858893 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775228 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM