Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

For those that like painted wheels

I wanted to see what SportClassics painted black would look like, not a great photoshop job but gives an idea. Not sure of the result though, maybe the whole wheel surface should be black?

(Couldn't help adding the headlight rings to make 'em smaller and darkened turn/fog signals BTW)

Re: For those that like painted wheels

yea the rest of the wheel needs painted

Was doing that just now, much better now:

Red & Yellow

Loks good Carlos, I esp. like the blackened ring around the headlights,and the tinted turn signals. I might like the wheels better if they were completely black, including the outer polished silver part of the rim.

My amateur two cents

The reason wheels look silver is because they are referring to the metal alloys that they're made of.

The reason wheels are color-painted to match the car in the past is because they were made of steel.

Nowadays what can matching color painted wheels mean:

They are made of plastic like garden cart wheels?
    They are painted hubcaps?
    They are made of stamped steel?

IOW, it is hard to ascertain and adjust to the meaning of a wheel being painted.

PLUS: there's no sparkel and dazzle anymore when they are starting from a stop as is enjoyed by clean silver wheels.

Why would anybody want them painted and how are observers going to see them?

The associations (steel, hubcaps, plastic) are NOT good.

Just talking psychologically: mmeaning the car will look subconsciously then consciously of poor quailty.

Not really talking sociologically or culturally: meaning people will eventually probably suppose you can't afford "real" alloy wheels.

Here's non-photoshopped photo of a 997 with a blackened ring around the headlights.

By the way, I agree with Max about the rims.

Quote:
    danny828 said:
    Here's non-photoshopped photo of a 997 with a blackened ring around the headlights.

No way! they are making the rings?? its about time, it was only logical

If I had a 997 I'd get them in a second, its simple mod w/o any permanent modifications to the car, and not very flashy, it just makes it look a bit more agressive and sporty unconciously... now all they need to make is darkened fog/turn lights

BTW, I think we beat them to it at Rennteam
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=59169&an=0&page=6#59169

We can take care of the painted headlight rings for any 997. Email me: eric@bumperplugs.com

ANTERA has a sexy 997.

Is anybody else seeing that nice front spoiler it has??
    Tequipment?

Looks..great Carlos..i love it!!

Quote:
    Eric (Plug Guy) said:
    We can take care of the painted headlight rings

I'll certainly keep that in mind Eric

I like those rings. How much and who is selling them?

Quote:
    jjr1 said:
    I like those rings. How much and who is selling them?

Drop Eric an email like he says above: eric@bumperplugs.com

Carlos, that is an awesome pic.. do you happen to have it high res?
    -Joost-

Sorry Joost, its a photoshop I did to see how black painted "S" wheels would look so I saved it at that resolution for posting on the forum and didn't save the original

like painted wheels?

A couple more

Carlos, as soon as my tires are "gone", I'm gonna paint my wheels in black. Should look fantastic with the yellow PCCB calipers.

Cool, be sure to post some pics of them so we can all see "real" photos of their look

Hi Carlos,

this was one of the first 997 I saw around here...
    I see it still at least one time a week - it looks really awsome!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Carlos, as soon as my tires are "gone", I'm gonna paint my wheels in black. Should look fantastic with the yellow PCCB calipers.

Sorry, I've no knowledge of paint wheels. Does it mean the shop has to take the tire out of the wheel to do the paint job? That's why you wait for the tires are "gone"?

Quote:
    derbaas said:
    Hi Carlos,

this was one of the first 997 I saw around here...
    I see it still at least one time a week - it looks really awsome!

Yes, I think the black 997S with all painted black rims looks very good

Are you guys sure?

Sorry Gents.

I dont want to mess anybody up.

WHAT do you see in those painted wheels!!? They make the car like it's made of cheap plastic OR they make the car look like it's a total off-road functional Jeep or ugly but built-to-win NASCAR racer or something.

To put it another way, they make the car look "tougher" and uglier if the car is a dark color.

They make the car look cheaper and plastic if a lighter color.

Just trying to figure this out.

It IS strange that we have gotten so stubbornly accustomed that it is so difficult to see anything other than a silver alloy-colored wheel as appropriate compliment to the beautiful (vs. functional) aesthetics of the car.

Thanks for the pic derbaas I'm still 50% about black wheels, maybe if the outer rim is left silver

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Sorry Joost, its a photoshop I did to see how black painted "S" wheels would look so I saved it at that resolution for posting on the forum and didn't save the original

Carlos, sometimes I love you, sometimes I hate you
    The pic of the 997 with the black sportclassic rims: finally these rims make sense to me. In the unpainted version, they look to fragile to my likings. This way they are awesome!
    -Joost-

And Max; I agree with you when speaking about the red or yellow rims we saw on the porsche site. I think there are just tow versions of beautiful 911's:
    1)the ones in silver, looking smashing, but not poseur like. Those should not have painted rims.
    2) Dark colored 911's (atlas, basalt, midnight, slate. etc) those are really looking "introvert" and really mean. When it is a black car, it might sometimes look awesome to paint the rims in the color of the car. It makes it more introvert, and meaner (SOMETIMES!!)
    Most of the other colors (yellow, red) on 911's I don't like because they are used like on ferraris, eg colors to show off with your car. (not to offend anyone, just my 2 cents)

Quote:
    Joost said:
    And Max; I agree with you when speaking about the red or yellow rims we saw on the porsche site. I think there are just tow versions of beautiful 911's:
    1)the ones in silver, looking smashing, but not poseur like. Those should not have painted rims.
    2) Dark colored 911's (atlas, basalt, midnight, slate. etc) those are really looking "introvert" and really mean. When it is a black car, it might sometimes look awesome to paint the rims in the color of the car. It makes it more introvert, and meaner (SOMETIMES!!)
    Most of the other colors (yellow, red) on 911's I don't like because they are used like on ferraris, eg colors to show off with your car. (not to offend anyone, just my 2 cents)

yeah, that's about right Joost. Getting closer. It's not easy to figure out what's going on with the overall look of the car when you add these these painted wheels.

You made some good points. Anybody thinking of painting their wheels should think very carefully in order to get the "correct" look that they want.

Nice job Carlos, but you are looking at over an hour and a half of masking, hand sanding, and free hand cutting per wheel to powder coat them. Lots of patience, lots of stress, and a need for the love of the job.

jb

They way I did it, since its just for getting an idea, it took me about 10-15 min to do the wheels
    End result, I think I prefer non-painted with the 997 factory wheel choices.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    804614 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448938 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266633 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90273 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6901 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886405 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835124 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM