Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

At last! My final spec. Plan to order in Feb. Any views?

Hey guys, I've been deliberating over my final spec list for what seems like an eternity , but, finally, I know what I would like to order . However, I would really appreciate any final thoughts from you on my spec . Thanks!!

I'm just so excited about getting my first Porsche!!! Feels so good I could just close my eyes and scream with joy!!!! I have waited so long for this moment...

Anyway, here it is...

997 C2S, 6 speed manual, MY2007 (post 1st Sept 2006 production), tax free import to UK from Germany (C16 RHD spec) with 7% discount on car & options

X1 Arctic silver metallic paint (Current car is black so needed a change but decided against GT silver in the end)
    RA Cocoa full leather interior
    P12 Automatically dimming interior & exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
    P17 -20mm sports suspension with mechanical rear differential lock (Fanch, can't wait to ride in your -20mm car on 9th April!!)
    635 ParkAssist (will be useful in London parking and I don't mind the sensors)
    640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
    650 Electric tilt/slide sunroof
    XLF Porsche Sports Exhaust system (so excited about this one!)
    Aluminium instrument dials
    407 19 inch SportDesign alloy wheels
    446 Wheel centres with full colour Porsche crest
    482 Tyre pressure monitoring system
    P01 Adaptive sports seats
    342 Seat heating
    XSH Seat belts in silver grey
    XX1 Floor mats in cocoa with Porsche logo in silver and leather edging in cocoa
    XSC Porsche crest embossed on head restraints
    XTV Door trim in leather
    XMZ Rear section of centre console in leather
    XZD Interior light surround in leather
    XMP Sunvisors in leather
    CUV Porsche Exclusive centre console main storage compartment lid in leather with 'Carrera S' logo
    X70 Door entry guards in stainless steel (with 'Carrera S' logo)
    672 Extended PCM Navigation module
    680 BOSE Sound System
    900 Factory Collection 911 (Stuttgart)

Plus the following which would be standard if I were to buy the car in the UK:

674 Preparation for Porsche Vehicle Tracking System
    567 Grey top tint on windscreen

I am also going to fit the following aftermarket:

Aluminium 3 pedal set and driver's left footrest (from Ultimate pedals)

I have a test drive tomorrow to help me feel certain about some issues. Hope you guys have a fabulous weekend! Thanks again for your help and advice.

Re: At last! My final spec. Plan to order in Feb. Any views?

Congrats, your "deliberating time" was well worth it

I think you managed to have the best of both worlds with your spec: all the important performance options (did you think about the short-shifter ?) and an awsome interior with all the nice details (sunvisors in leather etc.)

BTW: For some unknown reasons one of the P-car dealerships nearby my place always has some 5-6 pre-owned P-cars from the UK at his lot and I must admit all of them are nicer equipped (regarding colors / interior details) than most of the German pre-owned cars at the lot.

Have a good bottle of redwine (maybe two ) at the weekend and enkoy the wait-time

congrats! looks fab!
    are you sure about arctic silver??
    so many of the 997s in the uk are in that colour....
    anyway, am sure it'll look fab with cocoa leather.
    sweet

Wow! Glad to see someone else loading up theirs!

Dan

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
    98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (custom blue)
    06 Natural Leather Brown
    CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
    M6H Brown Floor Mats
    P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
    V9 Black Top
    XCZ Sport Shifter
    XJT Rear Ctr. Console Makassar
    XLF Sport Exhaust System
    XRP 5mm Whl Spacers
    XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
    267 Self Dimming Mirrors
    342 Heated Front Seats
    405 19" Carrera Classic Wheel
    450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
    451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
    482 TPMS
    498 Delete Model Designation
    550 Hard Top
    640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
    672 Extended Nav Module
    680 Bose High End Sound Package
    692 Remote CD Changer
    801 Makassar Package
    TD5 Tourist Delivery (12 May 06)

Just speccing mine up now. I managed to secure a C2S today. Was able to jump in and get a spec changeable march build with delivery in April....sorry to all those still waiting...

Porsche Configurator here I come....again....

These are great specs! You will enjoy it for sure!
    As you said in another thread shortshifter is no-no for me!
    My wife would love to drive my 997S some day so...

Congrats easy_rider911 Excelent spec and nice with all the leather details!!

Have you considered the Cruise Control (454) option? Rather standard equipment not that expensive but very nice to have Just wanted to make sure that you haven't forgot it..

/Lukas

Pheww, easy_rider911, that'll be a nice ride.

Can't think of any that you left out except for the mentioned Cruise Control which I would also highly recommend.

Wow!! what a spec..congrats.

He's got cruise.It's standard equipment on the S; I'm not sure about non-S.

easy_rider911,

Great! I especially love your color combo!

Cocoa will look great with silver....Enjoy

Quote:
    MMD said:
    He's got cruise.It's standard equipment on the S; I'm not sure about non-S.

Maybe in the US, but not in Europe (or at least not in Swissy).

Great car to look for
    And what a good deal it seems to be!!!!!

Yes, add cruise control ( I took it without really believing in it and it comes in so handy.... helping not to get speeding fines, even in the city, and sooo easy and natural to use.
    I will not mention....short shifter..... I recall you saying that you don't like it ( maybe when you try Fanch's car... )
    I took steel entry doors... a waste of money to me as the color contrast with my seal grey is too little...

Enjoy!!!

Awesome. I've just finalised my spec and also went for the embossed centre console lid... Those exclusive options aren't easy to find out about, are they?

Congrats - think you've got it pretty much covered.

Would personally have stuck to Black (Basalt) and added the phone module, but that's all. I think you're going to have a great car

Your car will be great.
    I ordered fewer leather options in my GT Silver C4S w/Cocoa leather (Febuary build), but did include option XTG, which covers the inner sill in matching leather, I preferred that to the standard black, but I am a little worried about durability.

My report following my test drives....

Thanks so much for your input guys.

I went for a couple of test drives yesterday. It really helped me to decide what I want to do. The last time I had a test drive was back in late 2004/early 2005 when I didn't know much about the car, particularly the suspension differences and sport chrono package. This time I knew what to look for.

I know a lot of other people are in the same boat that I've been in recently i.e. agonising over option choices, suspension set-up etc. So, here's my report (purely subjective) but I hope it helps others here FWIW.

First, I went out in the 997 C2 for about 30 minutes. Standard suspension: I really, really liked this. It felt nicely firm, never harsh, never too stiff. I drove on a mixture of main roads and back roads. I made a special point of driving over manhole covers, potholes, catseyes, the slow lane of the road (where heavier vehicles had made 'grooves' in the road surface which can cause tramlining), speedbumps etc.

The acceleration on the C2 was fine. There was enough power. However, I was a little 'underwhelmed' by the exhaust note and engine sound. The brakes were sharp and highly effective. Handling and steering were very precise and confidence inspiring. All in all, I really enjoyed my test drive in the C2.

I then drove the 997 C4S on an extended test drive which lasted about an hour. I immediately noticed various things. Although the standing start acceleration figures are not hugely different between the C2 and C4S, there is a noticeable difference in mid-range pulling power. You can feel the increased torque at once. Without PSE on, the exhaust note sounded much better than in the C2. Above 5000rpm, the engine shows a whole new side to its character. It feels alive, animalistic, really visceral. The sound touches something deep inside you.

Brakes: although the brakes on both the C2 and the C4S felt equally effective, I found the 'feel' on the C4S so much better. How can I describe this? With the C2, it felt as though I could actually feel the brake pad making contact with the disc and I could feel every perceived roughness on the brake disc. With the C4S, I felt like it was so smooth, cushioned, smothered yet nonetheless so precise.

Steering: I have to say I immediately noticed the heavier steering of the C4S. I found it easy to manoeuvre the wheel one handed in the C2. I couldn't do that comfortably with the C4S. At low speed, in particular, I found the C4S steering too heavy. I am certain I will prefer the lighter steering of the C2S.

I also liked the 100% rear power bias of the C2. I wasn't as happy with up to 40% of the power going to the front wheels. I liked the feeling of there being an immense force behind me thrusting me forward. The RWD traction was a wonderful feeling.

Now, the major issue. Suspension: I tried PASM in normal mode. I found this too soft. I drove over the same road features listed above in detail. I found that PASM normal mode soaked up these bumps etc very capably. I felt like I was cruising along, nearly a feeling of gliding (for a Porsche though - we're not talking about the kind of gliding sensation one might have in a S Class or SL with Active Body Control).

However, PASM normal mode made me feel disconnected from the road surface. There wasn't enough feedback. Somehow it felt less precise than the conventional suspension of the C2. Overall, I didn't like PASM normal mode. A 911 is a throughbred sportscar. PASM normal seems to me like the set-up you would use if you didn't feel like driving the 911 like the sportscar that it is but when you instead just want to cruise around.

I then tried PASM sports mode. Mentally I have been so put off by the comments I have read from other people so I was expecting this to be too stiff, too harsh and 'suitable only for track use'. However, this was not the case. I drove over all the poorest parts of every road I could. PASM sports mode felt absolutely fine. It's the level of stiffness I want. I didn't find it harsh. Sure, you could feel bumps more but I just loved the firm ride. The most shocking thing is - I actually preferred PASM sport to the suspension on my BMW 328i. That car has a normal suspension with 18 inch wheels and very thin rubber. I actually find the ride harsher in my current car. It's a curious phenomenon. Although the suspension is softer in my BMW, the 18 inch wheels with thin rubber make for a potentially harsher ride. Plus if there is unevenness in the road, the car is so soft it bounces and you feel the car is less sure of itself, that it's 'all over the place'. The firm set-up on the C4S in PASM sport mode felt very reassuring by comparison.

I felt like if I ordered PASM, I would drive it in sport mode all the time. So why not just get the -20mm sport suspension anyway?? Makes complete sense to me especially when you consider that it includes the rear locking differential.

PASM sport felt better than PASM normal but I still preferred the 'rock solid feel' of the standard C2 set up. However, I would like something a little firmer than the C2. Hence my preference for the -20mm. I guess what I am getting at is that I like a very firm, conventionally sprung set-up. I didn't like the remoteness of the PASM feel. There's no electronically damped buffer to take away road feel and feedback.

Sorry to labour the above on suspension set-up but these were my reactions. I know it's one of the most tricky issues to get comfortable about.

Luckily the C4S I tried had PSE. O H M Y G O D !!!! The C4S sounded great with PSE off especially at high revs (i.e. above 5000rpm). However, with PSE on, the car sounded like a wild beast. Unbelieeeeeeevable!! The beauty of it is that even when you're rolling around at low speed, it sounds great. The sound is addictive.

Sport Chrono: the C4S I drove had this. It definitely helped with acceleration mid-range. You can feel the more immediate throttle response. I guess if you didn't get it, you could just press the pedal more aggressively but this technology certainly helps.

So what were my overall impressions? Maybe the following sums it up...With the C2, I 'enjoyed' the drive. With the C4S, I felt 'exhilarated' and 'alive'. It's a more involving drive.

Now for your input:

Congrats DanL on your spec. Sounds great. How does 267 differ from P12?

Thanks ResB & Branimir, your specs sound great too!

moto, arctic silver: my current car is metallic black. I need a change. Plus it's so hard to keep clean especially in the UK with our poor weather, dirty roads in winter etc. Anyway, I actually like arctic silver. Shows the curves beautifully. Maximises the benefit from the little daylight/sunshine we have in the UK. Our weather can be dull and grey even in Summer. For this reason I also ruled out a grey colour: seal, slate or atlas. Basalt black is too much like what I have already. Solid black is gorgeous but tough to keep clean plus, like I said, I need a change. They had a 911 in GT Silver yesterday - I just found it a bit too dull. I don't like any of the other colours.

Cocoa: saw 2 cars yesterday with this. Looked really beautiful especially with arctic silver or GT silver.

ParkAssist: I tried using it - really useful for people in cities where parking in small spaces will be an issue. I don't think the sensors are ugly or intrusive. They don't to me detract from the car's appearance.

I am adding 425 Rear wiper. With the dirty grimy conditions in London right now, I realised how much I am going to need a rear wiper just to clean the rear window. I don't think one needs it necessarily WHILE it's raining. It's more to shift dirt on the rear screen.

Sunroof: I'm 6'3" and had no difficulty with headroom. I am not sure whether this would be the case if one was wearing a helmet.

I am also changing XX1 cocoa floor mats with cocoa leather edging to CFX Porsche Exclusive personalised floor mats in cocoa with silver Porsche logo, cocoa background to logo and leather edging in silver grey

Interior light surround: without a sunroof, the plastic panel in the roof to control lighting etc is small, almost oval. With a sunroof, it has a rather unsightly plastic extension making it into a large 'pear' shape. I think having this in leather adds greatly to the cosmetic appearance where in plastic it really detracts from how the roof looks.

BOSE: sounded good to me. I am sure if I spent much more money, I could get far better sound but the BOSE is good enough for me and I wouldn't want an aftermarket solution. Others may of course feel differently and I respect that.

X70 stainless steel door entry guards. Finally saw these with my own eyes. I don't think they look cheap or cheesy at all. I think it's a nice embellishment. However, the standard sills are perfectly nice too.

Instrument dials: I like the 'black' dials which are actually very dark matt grey but I like the aluminium dials much more. White would be cheap but not light silver. I actually find them easier to read. With the headlights off, there's a lovely contrast between the silver dials and the dark grey unilluminated figures. With the lights on, there's increasing 'drama'. After dark, it has an everchanging character. In short, I like it!

The standard seats were fine but the sports seats felt fabulous. With the adaptive sports seats, the adjustability is on another level. I'm a little overweight with occasional back trouble so these seats are heaven for me.

Porsche-Jeck, sports shifter: the C4S I drove had this. Sure, it feels precise but I found it too 'notchy' and it's too much effort. I found it tiring to use. I am of average strength but I want something which feels 'effortless' and smooth. The standard shifter is silky and lovely and I don't mind the amount of travel. It's a lot less than the 996. The C4S I drove had 1900 miles on it so maybe the short shifter will still loosen up a little. But it's an 'investment' I'm not prepared to make for a little increased 'crispiness'.

Thanks Lukas & MattC, cruise control: Not really useful in the UK. Our motorways are so congested, we are constantly changing speed, gear etc. Also, I think cruise control is better with a tiptronic than with a manual where it can do less. It's ability is hampered by an inability to change gear for you. Just my view. BTW, MMD - cruise control isn't standard in Europe. Yes Gnil, you're right cruise control can help avoid speeding fines etc with all the GATSO speed cameras we have in the UK. It's the only bad machine to come out of Italy! But I have currently have cruise control on my BMW (came with the sports multi-function steering wheel) and I hardly use it.

JamesC, yep CUV - good choice. As for choosing Porsche Exclusive options, I just read the Porsche Exclusive brochure, compared it with the diagram at the front of the detailed price list and also towards the back of the price list every Exclusive option in the Exclusive brochure is listed there - even the ones which aren't visible from the photos.

Thanks JohnH. I decided against the phone because I think an up to date mobile with a decent bluetooth headset should be fine. Any thoughts on this? Should I get the phone too?

Sailor, XTG inner sill in leather looks nice but your shoes will ensure that it won't stay looking nice. Personally, I would stick with the more hard-wearing plastic.

Thanks SVNSVN & Eden.

Yes Gnil - I've negotiated very hard to get the maximum discount I could. I'm not shy about squeezing dealers for every percent I can get. Some of them behave as if they are doing you a favour. Well, they need my money so I make sure I call the shots.

Hope the above thoughts are useful. They're just my own opinion FWIW. As always, I appreciate any further feedback and comments.

Re: My report following my test drives....

Awesome write easy , a well worth read for any newbies upon there orders...

throt..

Incredible summary Easy, the best I've ever seen. Thanks for the time you took to post it. As Throt says, it's essential reading for anyone about to compile their model choice and options list.:!

On the 'phone issue, all I'd say is that when you see your contacts list/phone book shoot up on the PCM screen with scrolling facility and shortcuts to important/last used numbers and accepted/missed calls etc. you're hooked, at least I was! Did you put your sim card in any of the test cars? Just my opinion FWIW.

Many thanks again for a great post.

Easy-Rider, thank you for a fantastic write-up
    Contributions like your's make Rennteam different from other forums Very analytical summary (much more helpful than most of these reviews in some carmags) - you seem to have made a very conscious decision regarding all the options. Your post should be a standard lecture for every prospective 997 buyer. Agree with you that the suspension choice is the one which should earn the most attention - no substitute for a back to back live test on the road. I also agree that PASM in Sport mode is not too harsh (which seems to be the majority opinion). Too bad that I can't get the -20 suspension for the 987 S (I guess I will drive it in Sport mode almost all of the time).
    Now enjoy the wait-time - I am already looking forward to your even more in depth reviews (if that's possible at all) after you have picked up your beautiful baby

Your excellent report makes good reading. Thanks for taking the trouble to write it.

easy_rider911,

Excellent!

That's an advantage us very long waiters have: plenty of time to decide what we want for our babies! After placing my order about 3 weeks ago, I've had no doubts about my spec.

Your car is going to be amazing- looking forward to seeing the pics and reading another fine review by you!

Congratulations!

What a post there easy_rider911!

I totally agree with the suspension comments. It's a sports car, not a luxury sedan. I want to feel the road. I was very surprised after driving a 997C2 with 19s for the first time. The word "harsh" never came to mind. The base suspension on the 997 is a decent blend of sportiness/comfort IMO. Great for daily use. I don't think we can get the sport suspension here in the U.S. though.

Thanks for the informative post. Well thought out decisions.

Easy_rider..... Great review ! I always like reading other peoples' opinion.
    You had a good chance to compare the different options, I am sure you will now get the options that suit you ! Enjoy

Nice options..especially if the smooth sports steering wheel comes with that awesome cross stitching!

Congrats Easy and thank you for the excellent report!
    Looking forward to meet you too,
    Take care mate,
    Fanch.

ML
    Glad to hear you decided to go for -20MM. You have
    a great spec on your car. The Short Shifter does become easier, esp when when you are pushing the car and the oil temp rises.
    Well done for getting the 7% discount. I tried at my OPC and they wouldn't give anthing off the car, only some off the accessories.
    Good Luck with your car.

Guys,

Thanks very much for your appreciation and feedback. I'm really glad that you found my report informative. I myself have found the process of choosing my new car exciting (but sometimes a little confusing!) so I shared my thoughts here to help others find the process of choosing their new car a little easier.

I'm also glad I wrote it all down while the observations/feelings were still fresh in my memory. As the weeks/months go by, the accuracy of the memories starts to fade so I thought it best that I record what I felt in detail on rennteam. That way, I can always keep coming back to it in the months to come.

I hope to place my order in February with factory collection from Stuttgart Zuffenhausen in Sept/Oct. So right now I just have to wait patiently...which is proving really hard now that I know what spec I want to get!

Sure, I intend to write in-depth driving/ownership reports after I've driven the car for a while. And, of course, I intend to post some good photos. My intention is to drive my new car to all sorts of beautiful places so I'll make a special point of taking some good photos wherever I go!

Thanks Fanch, I'm really looking forward to actually sitting in your car with the -20mm set-up. I can't thank you enough for your kindness.

If I have any comments on the process of buying the car abroad and importing it to the UK, I'll post them here also.

OT: incidentally, I happened to be in Atlanta GA recently on holiday (11-18 Jan). I was at a Publix supermarket at the junction of Peachtree Dunwoody Road NE and Hammond Drive NE. I looked up and saw the enormous PCNA headquarters! I didn't even know it was there till then. What a coincidence!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM