Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

clear bra suggestion

Im getting clear bra install on my 997S black and can't decide if I want to put it on the hood. I know the line on the hood would be noticeable and just don't know. To those that have it done how did it look and any regret. right now Im thinking of doing the bumper and mirror. any help would be great cause Im getting it done this weekend. thanks

Re: clear bra suggestion

The hood is the place I got the majority of my dings on my 996. So, I had a clear bra installed on my 997 that covered the bottom 1/3 of the hood. Don't like the line, but I like dings less. Can't see it from 10 feet away.

Phil

I agree with PS CA ... well worth living with the lines than chips

I would defintely do the hood as wheel. And behind each wheel. I did the door sills as well.

If you're around the NY Metro area the best place in the country is in Long Island. --- "Detailing Dynamics"
    Here's their web-site. If you look under "PAINT PROTECTION FILM" you can see lots of pictures from different makes and models:
    http://www.detailingdynamics.com/

In pictures sometimes you can't capture the hood line (and if done right it's almost impossible to see on the bumper) but I have a few where you can see the hood line.

I have the gloss black and agree with the others, at first you won't be happy about seeing the line but 12 months from now you'll be happy you had it. You really have to point it out to people that its there otherwise they won't notice.
    Also do your headlights and all the other lights on the front as well as the bumper. It will save you anguish and time spent at the body shop or doing it yourself. I also second stradale's comments re the door sill, I'm going in to get mine done next week, it is a high traffic area that is easily scuffed especially by guests that aren't as aware.

Forgot - Also do the lights.

Agree. With gloss black you will notice it more then on Silver. Just had my moms Black CLK500 done and you can see the areas of the film look shinier then the rest of the paint. It's a lot better then getting paint damage though. In my area the majority of new Ferrari's have it done right away. It's more common on new Ferrari's now then not having it. If you hate it you can always peal it off the hood but I think you'll see that it not only protects the paint but gives a certain piece of mind which is really nice. Take some pics when you can.

3m Scotchgard - ask for it

thanks guys. Im gonna go ahead and get the hood done as well.

How do you guys feel about do the entire hood instead of 3/1 of the hood?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Also do the lights.

As discussed in an earlier thread, the manual explicitly states NOT to do the headlights, though of course it's your car, so feel free to ignore Porsche's injunctions.

Quote:
    ArthurY said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Also do the lights.

As discussed in an earlier thread, the manual explicitly states NOT to do the headlights, though of course it's your car, so feel free to ignore Porsche's injunctions.

And the manual also says this:

"Do not alter your Porsche. Any alteration could
    create dangerous conditions or defeat safety
    engineering features built into your car.
    f Do not misuse your Porsche. Use it safely, and
    consistently with the law, according to the driving
    conditions, and the instructions in this manual.
    Alteration or misuse of your Porsche could
    cause accidents and severe or fatal personal
    injuries."

So all you guys that put on after market wheels, exhaust, springs, etc. have better watch out. And you must use your car safely and obey all the laws.

I'm sorry, but what could a thin plastic film possibly due to affect the operation of a headlight????? If you can come up with a logical explanation of what damage clear film can do to the headlights, I would like to hear it.

Phil

Quote:
    alin330 said:

I don't think that anyone makes a sheet of the plastic that is large enough to cover the entire hood. So you would end up with multiple seams.

Phil

I jus t got my 06 c2s and I requested that the dealer deliver the car to me with the clear bra applied. When I picked it up they had put the film on the head-lights... SO maybe it really is just the corporate folks/lawyers saying not to do it when in reality it is OK. Anyways, since the dealer did it, if anything goes wrong they will be liable (at least I would think so) but who can say for sure.

How much damage could clear film cause ?

What ever it is, it's not nearly as much as a pebble hitting your lights at 75mph without film..

I've had it installed on many cars and for 3 years on my 996 Turbo with zero problems. And zero chips or a broken light.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    alin330 said:

I don't think that anyone makes a sheet of the plastic that is large enough to cover the entire hood. So you would end up with multiple seams.

I have seen a CGT at my dealer that had the entire hood covered with a film. It wasn't a standard 3M film, though. The film was much thinner, more like normal scotch tape. So for me its use was questionable. Besides it wasn't professionally applied, it has shown lots of crinkles.

On my car I have the film on the front bumper, 1/3 hood, 1/3 front fenders, mirrors, front parts of the door entry sills, and behind all wheels. I would like to have the complete hood. 1/3 hood is not enough for the German Autobahn. Having film on the lights is not street-legal in Germany. I assume that it's a safety thing, since the film might disturb light emission.

Good to get edges wraped. Less noticeable on corners. 3M kit does not wrap as standard.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    alin330 said:

Phil

PS CA, Actually with the right installer they will be able to wrap the entire hood or entire car if you like.

Pix 2

Pix 3

Pix 4

Pix 5

Pix 6

i am thinking about getting it too but i am concerned about the film becomes yellow or bubbly over time.
    and if i ever decided to remove the film, would the part that had been protected by the film discolor less (if any) than the part w/o the film?? simply put it, any side effects in the long run???

Quote:
    alin330 said:
    PS CA, Actually with the right installer they will be able to wrap the entire hood or entire car if you like.

I heard that some installers use bulk rolls and cut while on the car, but everyone I talked with and the installer I used seemed to prefer to use the pre-cut kits. I am not aware of any kits that cover the entire hood. It is nice to know this option is available. I wonder if it would look better to cover the entire hood that have a seam across it??

Thanks for the info about this option.

Phil

Quote:

I'm sorry, but what could a thin plastic film possibly due to affect the operation of a headlight????? If you can come up with a logical explanation of what damage clear film can do to the headlights, I would like to hear it.

Of course Porsche, the company, will say whatever is necessary to protect itself from liability. The question I'd ask is what potential liability could they be trying to protect themselves from by stating, more than once, not to put film on the headlights? I admit I do not know what's in Porsche's mind, and the manual, in my recollection, fails to provide a rationale. I could speculate - perhaps there's the possibility of too much heat build up if you're in a warm climate, and such heat may damage the lights. Or possibly even a thin fairly clear film impacts the light's optics, since the xenons are self-leveling lights. But these are only speculative answers. More creative engineering minds might come up with other reasons.

Essentially, my point is that while you can do whatever you want with your car, you MAY be assuming a risk not obvious or apparent, and you take the tradeoff between following Porsche's cryptic direction and a potentlally chipped lens.

Quote:
    alin330 said:
    Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    alin330 said:

Phil

Hey,...I actually know those guys. Premier Mobile has also done all the clear bra on all of my cars. Though, only my 360 has the entire hood done. I totally agree that if done right, you won't be be able to see any seams. They did a custom hood and bumper on my GT3, and custom full hood on and bumper on the modena. All edges are hidden and in one piece. Can't be happier with the way it looks.

Ewi, pls kindly advise who has done this job as I consider to let my car wrap as well.

Tks beforehand.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690277 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409611 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255913 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235148 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65628 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858317 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774544 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM