Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Lurching Problem

Back to lurching.

To recap what we are talking about here, the Cayenne has a hesitation or lurching characteristic that has been noticed by drivers since the car was introduced. Automotive journalists testing the Turbo have wrote of it's turbo lag however I believe it is the same throttle response issue Cayenne S owners see. From a stop or at part throttle operation the Cayenne will sometimes hesitate for a second or more when the throttle is partially depressed and then accelerate rapidly. Some describe it as a delay in transmission downshifting while others describe it as a throttle issue. I believe it is a combination of the two.

Edmunds.com recently tested the Cayenne (review) and has a fair description of the issue:

Quote:
    Stomping on the throttle from a dead stop results in a half-second of tepid forward movement as the turbo spools up - then bam! Like Anna Nicole after spotting a Krispy Kreme, the Cayenne Turbo somehow ignores its considerable heft and simply springs into action.

A similar response occurs once the vehicle is in motion, though throttle response continued to be a notable issue for most drivers. Sometimes forward motion comes after a slight delay, other times it comes on stronger than expected (or desired). The effect is more subtle than overt, but drivers used to the refined nature of an Acura, BMW or Infiniti will notice it. We're not sure if this behavior is turbo- or transmission-related (or a combination of both), but after trolling the Cayenne car discussions boards we found several owners who had visited their local dealer to have the drivetrain controller "reflashed" with positive results.

The transmission itself proved capable of delivering positive upshifts under full-throttle conditions, and when set in "Manual" mode, it would respond quickly to up- or downshift commands sent via the steering wheel switches or shifter movement. But when left in automatic mode, with varying levels of throttle applied, it sometimes seemed to hesitate before choosing a gear. It's worth noting that Porsche has designed this transmission to "learn" driver behavior and respond accordingly. What this is supposed to result in is a transmission that "knows" when the driver wants it to hold gears during aggressive on- or off-road driving. To us, it seemed like the transmission performed well when fully engaged in either standard or aggressive driving mode, but it sometimes switched modes too early or too late (a difficult situation to avoid whenever a transmission is allowed to think for itself).

In my research of this subject I find there are two components to the lurching issue: a documented transmission problem and an undocumented DME remapping issue.

First the transmission issue. This is a Technical Service Bulletin, #3303 or NHTSA #284737, issued in August 2003. TSB's can be checked on the NHTSA website: NHTSA

There is a faulty thermostat in the transmission that causes shifting problems. It can affect all Cayennes with automatics starting with the Cayenne introduction. I have heard from one source that it only affects 2003 models. I have also heard the problem exists through June or July 2003 builds which would include some model year 2004 Cayennes. I have a 7/1/03 build and the dealer checked my serial number for this TSB and said it was not affected by this bulletin. The bulletin itself says it affects some 2004 models so I think it is probably through June 2003 builds.

I don't have direct experience with this TSB but I have seen descriptions that look much like the lurching issue. In general, the transmission does not downshift as quickly as it should under certain circumstances. In this case it may have had something to do with transmission temperature.

Now for the DME remapping issue. This is undocumented by Porsche but information on it is becoming clearer. The remapping has been available for at least a month now but has only been presented as a solution if you asked the right questions or made certain specific complaints. The Porsche District Service Managers are providing instruction on the update. I had the procedure performed on my car earlier this week. My service invoice gives the code 24701999.1.0 and 247006660001. The first code is the same given by another member on this forum.

The results of the update are not yet clear to me. I believe throttle response is better but this is a difficult situation to judge and I need more time with more driving situations to really evaluate this fully. Some who have had the update are more enthusiastic. I still think the response can be improved. I have an X-5 in the household for comparison and I believe the BMW is smoother shifting and the throttle more immediately responsive.

The answer is in the mapping of the DME which controls all shift points and throttle activity. I have watched the transmission gear indicator during the hesitation. Many times the lurch is caused by a delay in transmission downshifting. But, at other times, if the gear indicator can be believed, the transmission is already in a lower gear but the delay is still present. This was my experience prior to the update. As I develop more experience with the revised mapping I will post updates here.

Re: Lurching Problem

I have now lived with the DME remapping for a couple of weeks and I think there are still unresolved issues. To be specific, with the car is in automatic mode with PSM on, you slow to 15-20 mph to go around a corner and then accelerate when coming out of the corner, you will sometimes experience a second or two of "dead pedal" where no acceleration occurs, and then you get strong acceleration.

I took my car back to the dealer for an oil change and cornering light fault and told them to check on the hesitation problem again. I told them I still had hesitation problems, especially when cornering. The car was returned with the report that it was functioning normally.

I have spoken to other owners who also experience hesitation problems, even after the remapping of the DME, so I don't believe Porsche has a complete solution yet. I am also coming around to the belief that the gear selection indicator may not be entirely accurate. It sometimes indicates a downshift has occurred before the transmission really downshifts. I had watched the indicator in the past and saw that hesitation continued even after the transmission apparently downshifted. I now believe it had not actually downshifted yet and for this reason I believe the hesitation is mostly a transmission downshifting issue.

I would like to hear comments from others who have had the DME remapping done to see if their experience is similar to mine. I also don't want to make a bigger issue out of this than is really there. I have driven many cars that behave exactly like this so I am not sure we can label this a defect.

However, I also own a BMW X-5 and it does not have this characteristic. It has very smooth downshifts at all times and always seems to be in the right gear at the right time. Acceleration when coming out of a corner is always immediate and is completely controllable with the throttle. It is this comparison with the competition that makes me aware that Porsche can, and should, do better.

I talked with my service manager yesterday about several issues and the lurching problem was one of them.
    He explained to me that since I only had 700 miles on the vehicle that the "E Gas" throttle has still not had enough time to regulate itself for my style of driving. I suppose this could be true. However, I also notice, like you, that the automatic gearing (or selection of) is usually off. Clearly, the automatic gear selection seems to be designed around fuel economy and not practically.
    For example, I'm on a two-lane road doing 40 - 45 mph and someone in front of me is making a left turn. As I start to slow down, they complete the turn and I apply pressure to the gas pedal to accelerate. Unfortunately, I'm still in D6 (sixth gear) trying to accelerate when I should be in no more than fourth! First, 6th gear is, as I believe, a highway overdrive gear. I can't imagine why this transmission is designed to be in overdrive at 40 mph. Second, the gearing seems to be consistently one gear higher than it should be. It's that awkward moment of downshifting which seems to causes the lurch. Well, at least from my perspective. In fact, I'm starting to hear a slight bang in the rear differential area when this sometimes occurs. However, when I shift manually I don't have this problem.
    Like you, my wife has a X5 and like you that vehicle doesn't exhibit any of these problems. Also, I gave up a perfectly good 2000 Range Rover for this vehicle and even that truck had better throttle response/gear selection than my Cayenne currently does. For tax reasons, I'm married to this car for at least the next three years so no one needs to tell me to "just get rid of it". I can't and I shouldn't have to for this kink of money!

Your description fits what I am experiencing. You mention that it doesn't occur in manual mode. I agree with that and would add that the transmission mapping in PSM Off mode is so aggressive, there is very little delay their either. I also believe you are correct with your thinking on upshifting so quickly for gas mileage improvements.

I just read this thread for the first time about lurching. The descriptions are the same that I have described to my dealer for the last 3 years. The problem is that I had a Audi 2.7 turbo A6. Every time I came to a exit ramp and tried to merge with the side street ( aggressive driving on the highway then hard brakes for the yeild, after seeing a clear path I would try to accelerate and nothing for almost a second ) it made me hesitate whether to pull out. They told me that it is considered normal. I told them this is a design flaw and is not normal. Later they told me that I was fooling the software in trying to get off the gas then back on before the downshifts could be completed. I was told by some of the salesmen that this was taken care of in later model years with a software upgrade. Maybe this is the same supplier problem with Porsche. You would think that with the faster processors out today they would not have this problem anymore. I guess maybe the supplier had all these old processors he had to get rid of, the ones Audi wouldn't take. lol.

I also have lived with m S for a while since the remapping procedure was performed. Although I bestowed high praise on the procedure at first since it was a big improvement -I must agree that it is by no means perfect. After living with it for a while I agree that the main problem is in accelerating after hitting the brakes or after turning a corner. I am convinced that my dealer has done all he can with the tools at his disposal. I feel that PCNA has to get involved at this point-anyone know who to contact in particular. i have an M3 also and the difference in response between the two vehicles is astounding

Quote:
    GM Austin said:

This is a Technical Service Bulletin, #3303 or NHTSA #284737, issued in August 2003. TSB's can be checked on the NHTSA website: NHTSA

There is a faulty thermostat in the transmission that causes shifting problems. It can affect all Cayennes with automatics starting with the Cayenne introduction. I have heard from one source that it only affects 2003 models. I have also heard the problem exists through June or July 2003 builds which would include some model year 2004 Cayennes.

GM, I reread your original statement and this part is beginning to stand out. Clearly Porsche knows there's a problem or they wouldn't have attempted this fix. It would also support the theory that the lurching is a transmission problem and not necessarily a DME mapping problem. Particularly, as you stated, that the remapping is an undocumented issue and as I think RC stated that he is unaware of any remapping in his market. Also, in another thread, you said we have a VW/Audi transmission. That's interesting, I did not know that.

Anyhow, are you saying that you don't notice any shifting improvements after this performed?

In another thread, another writer suggested that we should somehow separate the different noises, vibrations and shifting problems as they may or may not be related. I agree. Also, after doubling up on my Prozac, I'm much calmer now . Which leads me to apologize for some of the venting I've unintentionally been doing. I'm just very disappointed and I agree that it's not helping to resolve the issues.

The remapping was solely to cure the transition between decel and acel in slow moving traffic.

The result of the remap is much better proportional control over the drive by wire system. i.e. the curve of pedal travel against throttle response.

No more passenger whiplash.

The kickdown tiptronic fix was to cure the gear confusion under gentle acceleration. (the only partially worked).

Mike

Quote:
    Anyhow, are you saying that you don't notice any shifting improvements after this performed?

I did see an improvement, similar to what Mick has described.

Also, I said VW was given the transmission development, not manufacture. Very little of either the Cayenne or Touareg is made by those respective companies. This seems to be a trend by most auto companies. The transmission is made by Aisin.

Quote:
    RDC111 said:
    I think RC stated that he is unaware of any remapping in his market.

Right. I'll be able to look more into this problem as soon as I get my Cayenne Turbo. I need a car first to have access to certain resources, just can't explain why.
    I already looked into a lot of old "issues" and I didn't find it very comforting that there already have been so many glitches but I think with a completely new product like the Cayenne, this is pretty normal. I'm even surprised that I didn't see more serious issues. I guess quality control works pretty good at Porsche now and they try hard to keep a high quality level because the Cayenne is a very important product for them.

I believe this is true RC. I worry that when I write about the issues that make this a less than perfect car some may perceive that it is full of glitches. It's not. It is a very well made car and I think most owners out there would agree with that statement.

I am beginning to think the lurching is possibly a design decision, maybe with the intent of preventing wheelspin in corners, I don't know. If that is the case, I don't think it is well done and, from what I am reading, this may be a result of VW's involvemant in the transmission development.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    I worry that when I write about the issues that make this a less than perfect car some may perceive that it is full of glitches. It's not. It is a very well made car and I think most owners out there would agree with that statement.

The Cayenne is a great SUV, otherwise I wouldn't have ordered one. If I think about the problems I had with my E55 AMG, I tend to believe that Porsche does a pretty good quality job lately. Taking in consideration that the Cayenne is a completely new product, it is astounding how good it is, especially compared to other SUVs.
    The only "glitch" I really see on the Cayenne is the weight. A company like Porsche should have known better...which reminds me again of their "co-worker" and the Phaeton.

Hi Christian

Do you know if this (lurching,gearbox problem) has been fixed on the cars that are currently being built?
    I would hate to pick up my Turbo in a week or so and experience the same problem as I had on the rental Cayenne S two months ago in Miami.

Quote:
    CF said:
    Hi Christian

Do you know if this (lurching,gearbox problem) has been fixed on the cars that are currently being built?
    I would hate to pick up my Turbo in a week or so and experience the same problem as I had on the rental Cayenne S two months ago in Miami.

I've been told that the cars built after the christmas holiday factory shutdown already have a few "fixes", especially the updated cardan shaft. But I have no official confirmation for it and furthermore, in Germany the lurching "problem" fix doesn't seem to be available. Possible reason: maybe it is an issue on US bound cars only because the Cayenne S I testdrove a few weeks ago didn't seem to have this problem. But I guess one has to drive a little bit more than a few hours to learn if a Cayenne shows a "lurching problem" or not.
    I wish Porsche would comment officially on this issue, so we wouldn't need to speculate.
    And there is another thing: we are talking so much about the lurching thing that it can't be excluded that some people actually don't really experience it but think their Cayenne has it. I'm also not sure if this is a software related problem only, it might have to do with the Aisin hardware too. Porsche surely can improve response by modifying the gearbox ECU software and maybe some settings in the Motronic (E-Gas, etc.) but I'm not sure if this lurching thing can be wiped out by software changes only.

What I find very strange is the fact, that some dealers in the US seem to be very well informed about it, incl. knowing the possible fixes and some even tell customers that there is no fix. Strange, I thought that all dealers get updated technical information from PCNA.

Actually RC I think we do more to get the information to dealers than Porsche do.

As a minimum we tell them what questions to ask their PCA rep, the key it would seem to get PCA to fess up, which probably accounts for a comment from one person that they were crtiticised by their dealer for reading Rennlist.

I have read the Cayenne message boards pretty thoroughly on this issue and yes my S has the same annoying problem.

I saw the following comment on another message forum.........

"I've had a problem when trying to accelerate from a low speed while making a turn. Very scary because car just lags. Seems to have something to do with the traction control (PSM). Problem goes away if you turn it off."

My question is.....does turning off PSM really fix the problem? Or is this bad info? Even if it fixes the problem, this is not okay.

One more comment......this is not a minor issue. From reading, seems this is a very pervasive issue with this vehicle. How many have actually been in an accident due to this "feature" of not going when you hit the friggin pedal?

Thanks!!

I do no know of any accidents related to this but its a good question. I think when you've driven it a while you take these things into account which is probably why none have bee reported (yet).

Porsche know of the issue, I do not think it is fixed but the definition does not fit within the lurching title.

The lurching is a hyper sensitive gas pedal which gives passengers whiplash in slow moving traffic with lots of stop starts. That specific problem is cured by one of the fixes, namely the DME remapping.

The dead pedal problem is slightly different as (to me) it seems that the transmission does not respond to the changing condition fast enough unless you are driving in manual or blip change down before entering the corner.

My dealer has ben with me when I demonstrated the problem, when the senio tech raised it with PCA he was told that they know of the issue and its being worked on.

I feel all that is required is greater sensitivity to speed when in 5 and 6 as speed reduces above a certain rate the gearbox should downselect to 4 or 3 ready for the next action.

Except for the grammer and typos, I agree with Mick.

hey we invented the language you destroyed it buster

Who do you think your talking to? I'm from Texas pardner! We have our very own language here. If you don't believe me, just spend a few minutes listening to Dubya!

Point taken

A couple of posters have indicated that they really like the way the X5 shifts. I have an X5 4.6, and frankly I think it shifts terribly.

A good downshft requires that you mash the throttle down. There is a good half second or so pause before it does downshift. Then, if you let up the throttle a little, to say, maintain the current speed, the X5 will then immediately upshift -- just when you don't want it to particularly when passing. This is in "sport" mode too. Using the manual shifting mode isn't so great either. The shift delays feel like a good second long.

Maybe I'm too picky! Or maybe all automatics basically suck!

Thanks for the contribution, interesting input, normally bimmers are not so objective. I think this thread will be updated soon keep watching.

I think that comment is interesting as well. It's like the manufacturers are giving large displacement, high power motors conservative mapping for their transmission shift points. I just noticed this afternoon that the Cayenne S has already shifted into 5th gear at 35 mph. I also spoke to a Porsche dealer this afternoon that said the V6 has a different shift pattern. It holds gears longer and downshifts sooner. I am beginning to think the conservative shift mapping has a lot to do with fuel economy figures.

I am convinced that it has everything to do with fuel conservation or more accurately for achieving certain EPA targets.

The X5 will always try to get to 5th gear if possible. You should try the automatic mode in a Ferrari 360. It upshifts at a ridiculously low (for a high revving Ferrari) at around 3000 or so RPM (it's been awhile since I've owned one so I might be a little off on the specific rev). It almosts bogs down at certain speeds! There is only one reason for a Ferrari to behave that way and it isn't because Ferrari owners want to save gas!

Yes, but the real question is when will top-flight tuners come out with remapping programs for us.....

Welcome to Rennteam jdrive. Nice to see another off-roader joining our ranks.

We may have to live with this mapping for awhile. I just came back from a visit to my dealer and they said there were no further updates available at this time. I have not looked that closely at the chip swaps that the tuners are offering. Do you think there is a chance they could improve shift mapping?

Thanks much, GM. Getting a bit weary of some of the other sites!

I took a look at a couple of motronic replacement deals; I wouldn't do them yet. Too early, too many unknowns, and frankly very little low-end upside. Mostly all mid to high end advantage. I am moving to high-flow 2ndary cats and a new muffler, but that's not gonna add up to much overall (20 horses I'd guess -- they of course say more). I'm not really a horsepower nut (450 oughta be enough!); really just looking to get up 'n go without undue hesitation.

Shift point remapping should yield some positive results, IMO, but I haven't seen anything yet. I'm one of those that believes the points are calibrated for EPA mileage figures first, everything else second. I guess that's why shift paddles are so in vogue now!

I'd love to know more about the e-gas setup, but am still pretty new to it all right now. I picked up my truck about a week back, but only long enough to get it into surgery, where it'll stay for another week. So for now my experience is mostly limited to others rigs.

Quote:
    I took a look at a couple of motronic replacement deals; I wouldn't do them yet. Too early, too many unknowns, and frankly very little low-end upside.

That's my take as well, just looking at the claims. There is an unofficial update that does improve shift mapping. I started this thread with that documentation. If you haven't had that done yet I would encourage you to do so. It does help but is not a complete cure. I am beginning to wonder if any update that PAG comes up with will have to stay within some EPA or mpg envelope. If Porsche's hands are constrained in this way there may never be anything but an economy, low emmission mapping at low throttle positions.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    811285 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451343 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268734 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91531 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8342 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

890096 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    847336 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM