Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

F430 a better choice than a 997 turbo?

If you could have only one of these, wich one would you choose? Wich want makes you fell like a 10 years old and keeps you awake at night? I'll add the gallardo to this poll.

Just a little poll to see if Porsche still has a bit of passion attached to its name, to see if the 997TT is more or less desirable than the ferrari.Feel free to leave comments

Re: F430 a better choice than a 997 turbo?

I'll take a convertible 997TTS

lol why you placed this poll in the 997 turbo board?!?!

Quote:
    amazon said:
    If you could have only one of these, wich one would you choose? Wich want makes you fell like a 10 years old and keeps you awake at night? I'll add the gallardo to this poll.

Just a little poll to see if Porsche still has a bit of passion attached to its name, to see if the 997TT is more or less desirable than the ferrari.Feel free to leave comments

I voted for the 430. My vote is conditioned on money NOT being a consideration. The 430 may or may not perform better than the tt, however, I believe it is more passionate than the tt. IMHO, that does not mean that I believe it to be a better car, than the 997tt, either in performance and/or value; just more desirable.

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    amazon said:

I voted for the 430. My vote is conditioned on money NOT being a consideration. The 430 may or may not perform better than the tt, however, I believe it is more passionate than the tt. IMHO, that does not mean that I believe it to be a better car, than the 997tt, either in performance and/or value; just more desirable.

Very similar to my rational/decision...

I would have to vote for the 430 and I don't even like its looks or the F1 gearbox that much.However its E diff is a outstanding piece of technology and its exhaust or a Tubi set up sounds beautiful.

The TT will be fast, competent but clinical. Probably devoid of emotion. Not much manic joy there for all of its speed and handling.

Audighini or Lambaudi? Its just doomed to be second choice to a F430. It has the nicest interior though.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    I would have to vote for the 430 and I don't even like its looks or the F1 gearbox that much.However its E diff is a outstanding piece of technology and its exhaust or a Tubi set up sounds beautiful.

The TT will be fast, competent but clinical. Probably devoid of emotion. Not much manic joy there for all of its speed and handling.

Audighini or Lambaudi? Its just doomed to be second choice to a F430. It has the nicest interior though.

Except what has drawn me to the 911Turbo (up to the 996 and now soon-to-be 997) is its forced induction, perversely even the turbo lag (or spool latency) and non-linear parabolic torque curve give me the magical feeling of acceleration, at first just a bit tardy, and then with the throttle held steady...wuh-WUHHHHHHHHHH, like a sling shot. Your knuckles glisten sweat as you attempt to prevent oversteer, and quite simply, no normally aspirated vehicle, no matter how pretty, or how dramatically displacing can match this vestibular effect as driver-and agitated occupants -are thrust backward against the seat during maximal boost. So though the F- and G-cars may titillate and indeed are excellent performers, and though the 911Turbo may forever present itself as the utilitarian machine, always more mundane appearing-or, at most, coming across visually as if to say "F-you" to the motoring masses, those normally aspirated prima donna's will always strike me as sleek-looking cars with now excellent performance to match, but somehow congenitally missing something, as though the engineers "forgot" ( ) to install the turbochargers at conception.

One of my "fears" is that the 997Turbo via its VTG's will be, as you eloquently put it: ..."fast, competent but clinical," but I suspend further judgment until I have a chance to test one-hopefully later this year....

A no brainer ..... problem is price and availability make the 430 a car that really can not be compared . You could buy two 997TTcab's for what it would cost to get a 430 spider with the mark up that they you must pay in the states.

Deep down in my heart I love the 911 more than I like any other object on earth. Still the F430 gives me goose bumps and is simply the sexiest Ferrari around. Although it isn't a track beast like it's German rival it is till very beautiful, loud, exotic and seem very joyful to drive.
    What do I have to say about the Gallardo? Well it looks very good and seem to be a competitive sports car but it lack something and I dislikes it's AWD system which seem to restrict the joy of driving the car.

At the end of the day the 997TT would be my choice since it is very versitile unlike the F430 which is more like a weekend car which you only drive during warm summer days.
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Audighini or Lambaudi?

ROLF!!

I was just thinking how lucky we are

1) to have so many magnificent choices
    2) to be able to afford them (or at least are able to delude ourselves into thinking that we can lol)

BTW, I just read that 80% of working Americans over the age of 55 have saved less than $250,000 towards their retirement and that 50% have saved under $50,000

Re: I was just thinking how lucky we are

I'd rather get 997TT + CayenneS with Ferraris price

I agree, if I could walk into my Ferrari dealer and order an F430 and pay MSRP, I'd get one, but even dealers are gouging, so its the 911TT for me.

I voted F430 for the passion when money is not an object.

With limited garage space/budget, the 997TT is an awsome deal.

If I will only keep the car for less than 5 years, then I may pick either Ferrari or Lambo. If I have to keep it any longer, then forget it. Ferrari and Lambo cannot match Porsche for long term reliability.

Also when Ferrari has a new model, it usually change so much to the point that it instantly made the old model outdated. Some people may like this idea, but I certainly don't.

Would you rather have a 10 years old 993TT now or a F355? I'm sure the majority will pick the Porsche!

F430 is an exotic. It's a low volume car that you don't see much (Except in Bevlerly Hill and Caan). It is a one man circus. Beautiful but not very practical. My Current 997 is a daily driver and my TT will be as well. So my preference is the TT. They are common enough that they are not a big deal to most folks yet special enough that enthusiasts are excited by it.

Have both 996TTS Coupe and 430. Will replace w/997TT and 599 in 2H06.

Currently, drive 996TTS 95%+ of time, rather than 430, even on wkends. Both are dynamically equally brilliant cars w/outstanding power and steering/chassis/brakes "feel" and quant capabilities, but IMO 996TTS easily beats 430 b/c of superior traction in twisties and far, far superior passive safety engineering/systems (crumple zones, advanced and head/side airbag systems, fuel tank placement, etc).

Obviously, 430 is easily best choice when objective is to impress a chick w/its sexier brand image, looks and great exhaust note.... .....and 996TTS prob appeals to old-money, engineering/tech fanatics who'd rather go unnoticed by most, in a car that quietly melds into a landscape of many similar-looking old 911s and Boxsters.....

Later this yr, will do back-to-back drives of 997TT vs 599 on my favorite roads.....I predict the humble, often underestimated 997TT will again prevail, w/its unique combo of hp/torque, traction, precise steering and brakes, and arguably world's best active/passive safety (that can only be rivaled, but not beaten, by even the standard-setting '07 S65, IMO world's safest/most comfortable/fastest/highest-tech SUV)

I'm on the F430 list and the dealer is saying that I will recieve delivery this year, but who knows for sure. I also gave a deposit to Champion Porsche for a 997 Turbo, now I'm down to waiting for the first phone call because I'm tired of playing with the Ferrari dealer.

I drive my Ferrari 360 daily just as I have done with all my past Ferraris, these cars are meant to be driven that way also and can handle it.

the question just about everyone failed to answer was basically which makes you feel youngest no? It MUST be the lambo as it draws attention like no other. fun to drive, big torque and street useablt performance due to awd...

Nothing like the F430...

Ill have to say no to the Lambo. Although it is a nice car I think it looks like a toy compared to the F430. Also, the Gallardo does not have a significant torue advantage compared to the 430, 376.2 ft lbs @ 4500 rpm compared to 343 lb-ft @ 5250 rpm not to mention the Turbo. For me it would be a tough choice between the F430 and Turbo. I like the styling of the 430 better, but would not leave my Turbo stock and prefer the turbo for performance reasons.

Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    the question just about everyone failed to answer was basically which makes you feel youngest no? It MUST be the lambo as it draws attention like no other. fun to drive, big torque and street useablt performance due to awd...

He's rigth. REMEMBER, it's all about how you feel about the car. Forget about how much the car cost or what you will be using the car for (daily driver or just sunny WE.) Reliability, perfs or practicality should not be taken into account when you make your vote.

It's all about PASSION.

Thanks

whoever said the gallardo is a toy proved the point, little boys like toys!

Ferrari is something I'd buy with your heart
    Porsche is something I'd buy with my head.
    As for Lamborghini, I'd only consider the Murcielargo...so much presence

^^
    ...Lamborghini is something I'd buy with my huevos

i have porsche running in my blood ,but i must admit that my gallardo has given me something unique and amazing that is a mixture of ferrari and porsche: german engineering,quality,performance and reliability, with italian looks,design and emotion... + a supercar status on top of it + 60% less cars than ferrari.....
    doesnt it look perfect?????????????????????????believe me for me it is
    until now i havent noticed a single fault in my G experience

May I be blunt?

MANY PORSCHE OWNERS COVET FERRARI'S AND HARDLY ANY FERRARI OWNERS COVET PORSCHE'S.

Not much more to say.

VKSF, its a shame for you to hang on to the 430. Clearly, the TT gives you what you want and you drive it 95% of the time. Why don't you sell the 430? It is not being driven and a sad waste for it to sit in your garage.

Nick, I will be the first to admit that Ferraris are in a whole different wealth class than Porsches. You can't reasonably compare a Boxster/Cayman to any Ferrari. The only Porsches that even come close in price to Ferrari's "low-buck" offering is the 997 TT and the GT3 (and GT2 if it happens). That is assuming you are comparing a fairly well-optioned P-car to the F430 at MSRP.

Having concended that, my current absolute dream car (cost no object, currently available cars) is the GT3, really. I would take it over any F-car simply because it stirs MY emotions the way your F-car stirs YOURS . (Discounting an Enzo, which I would take happily, sell, buy a nicer house and a GT3... )

You presume too much if you think otherwise.

Quote:
    Wich want makes you fell like a 10 years old and keeps you awake at night?

No car will make me feel that way anymore.

I recommend the 430 over the 997 Turbo simply because I don't like turbo engine.

But I would choose the 997 GT3RS over a 430 anytime.

Amazon:
    SUBJECT: F430 a better choice than a 997 turbo?

From the way you wrote it we understood what you want to say... you just placed a questionmark in the end...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    808953 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450488 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267760 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91015 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7874 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888623 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    837825 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM