Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Sport Exhaust "loudness" modification - solution

Here is the mod, enjoy.
    Just simply pull off the rubber hose (red arrows) where the red circle is and leave it pulled off. ONLY the rubber hose where the arrows are pointing at, NO NEED for the second rubber hose to be removed!
    If you're afraid that authoroties could see the removed rubber hose, take a piece of plastic (some sort of tiny plug) and try to push it inside the rubber hose. Then, put the rubber hose back on (like on the picture!).
    Please read the warning and also be aware that the exhaust will be LOUD all the time, the sport button doesn't change the loudness anymore. BUT: due to the changed throttle response by pressing the sport button (chrono sport only!), the sound gets "better" with sport chrono activated.
    It is the same sound like on the old 996 PSE with two differences:
    1. it has more high pitch sound, less deep groal (very similar to the old 964 RS), very nice original 911 setup
    2. it is not quite as loud as the old PSE but it may change when the exhaust is "burned in" (or better said: burned out) after a few thousand km.

Also be aware that with the loudness control activated, the sound is pretty disappointing, surprisingly.
    Also be aware that it may take a few fast rounds before the exhaust starts to get louder (strange).
    Directly after install, the PSE sounded almost like my original exhaust.

And finally, good news for 997 Carrer (not S!) owners:
    the exhaust is approved for the Carrera (not S!) too.
    If you can get one...get one.

Now do we have good news for you or not? Enjoy guys.

Re: PSE "loudness" modification - solution

THANKS A LOT RC !
    Question: What do you mean :"Also be aware that with the loudness control activated, the sound is pretty disappointing, surprisingly" ?????

You mean when the sport exhaust is turned OFF the sound is "disappointing" ?

Very cool RC .

Where is fanch when you need him .

I love this place!! fantastic solution!
    Thanks RC! you made my day

This is going straight to my dealer when the car arrives...

Sorry, more questions.
    From what I understand it's as simple as pulling off those 2 rubber hoses. What are the hoses called?/what are they suppose to do ?
    Would plugging them after they are removed alter anything ?

Also, what do you mean : "Directly after install, the PSE sounded almost like my original exhaust." ?

Sorry for all the questions, I feel like a 3 year old with a new toy.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I love this place!! fantastic solution!
    Thanks RC! you made my day

This is going straight to my dealer when the car arrives...

This all gets better and better for Carlos...

thanks

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Sorry, more questions.
    From what I understand it's as simple as pulling off those 2 rubber hoses. What are the hoses called?/what are they suppose to do ?

Also, what do you mean : "Directly after install, the PSE sounded almost like my original exhaust." ?

1. you have to pull off ONE rubber hose, just the one where the red arrows point at!!! No need for the other one!
    Of course this happens in the ENGINE COMPARTMENT, not beneath the car.
    2. after we installed the PSE, the sound was very disappointing. We had to drive around 20 km at higher revv figures to blow it free, the sound came little by little. No big deal but I mentioned it just in case that somebody hears it on a brandnew car and is completely disappointed. This seems to be normal, just drive around a little bit and accelerate from time to time up to the rev limiter and shortly after...VOILA.

I should also mention that I got the information that the exhaust gets louder after a few thousand km. Right now, I'm happy like it is, very nice sound.
    It is a little bit "higher" in sound than the old PSE but it still has that nice deep growl/roar like on classic 911 cars, especially the RS versions.
    With this setup, it would definetely NOT be street legal in most countries. This is why we added the CAUTION to the picture.

I thought aftermarket exhausts void PORSCHE's warranty. This set-up claims more hp & less weight and "complies with factory Porsche warranty". From what I understand PORSCHE's PSE makes no performance gains.

What is the downside ? Must be some that I'm not aware of...

simple bolt-on installation- reuses factory 997 tips. Systems comes with instructions- ready to install.
    complies with factory Porsche warranty
    complies with emissions all 50 states including California
    saves 28lbs from the rear of your 997 and Increases 10-14HP
    Fabspeed 997 Maxflo performance mufflers:
    $1095 without tips

http://www.fabspeed.com/997.html

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I thought aftermarket exhausts void PORSCHE's warranty. This set-up claims more hp & less weight and "complies with factory Porsche warranty". From what I understand PORSCHE's PSE makes no performance gains.

simple bolt-on installation- reuses factory 997 tips. Systems comes with instructions- ready to install.
    $1095 without tips

1. Porsche warranty is affected if an aftermarket exhaust is installed. There is no aftermarket part which "complies" with Porsche warranty. If it ain't a Porsche part, warranty can be voided. Exhausts can create problems (backpressure, backfiring, etc.) which can affect the engine.
    2. a power gain of 10-14 HP from an exhaust only (without new cats, etc.) is impossible for the 997 Carrera S.
    If you're lucky, you get somewhere around 5-8 HP in the upper range, maybe 10 HP if you're really lucky but torque goes down and probably power too at certain rpm figures.
    To gain "REAL" 20-25 HP on the 997 Carrera S, it needs a new DME software, new mufflers, new cats and new manifolds. And of course a sport airfilter.

Why no aftermarket exhaust? Simple (as I mentioned before): I heard several aftermarket systems and none sounds like the PSE, they all have more of a high pitch sound, nice and loud but not Porsche like. Others have a deep growl which is very annoying.
    I never heard of somebody who went from a PSE to an aftermarket product because the PSE on the 996 was simply the best original sound available. The 996 PSE is already "famous" for it's sound, my neighbor (he drives a 996 Targa with PSE) reminds me every night of it when he comes home (and we have pretty good windows and thick walls ).

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Sorry, more questions.

1. you have to pull off ONE rubber hose, just the one where the red arrows point at!!! No need for the other one!
    Of course this happens in the ENGINE COMPARTMENT, not beneath the car.
    2. after we installed the PSE, the sound was very disappointing. We had to drive around 20 km at higher revv figures to blow it free, the sound came little by little. No big deal but I mentioned it just in case that somebody hears it on a brandnew car and is completely disappointed. This seems to be normal, just drive around a little bit and accelerate from time to time up to the rev limiter and shortly after...VOILA.

I should also mention that I got the information that the exhaust gets louder after a few thousand km. Right now, I'm happy like it is, very nice sound.
    It is a little bit "higher" in sound than the old PSE but it still has that nice deep growl/roar like on classic 911 cars, especially the RS versions.
    With this setup, it would definetely NOT be street legal in most countries. This is why we added the CAUTION to the picture.

Gotcha on the part about clearing it's throat! And the part about which hose to remove..Did you edit that or am I losing my mind again No need to answer if you didn't edit it. Happens to me a lot evidently.

Just one more ?
    What is this hose called?/What was it's intended function ?

YES, I edited the post, sorry.

RC,
    Thanks so much!!!
    Now of course, my questions:

1- Before you did the mod, on quiet mode, is it similar to the standard exhaust?

2- So with that setup of yours now, the PSE is ALWAYS ON right?

3- Any way of having the PSE OFF when sport chrono function is OFF and ON when sport chrono funstion is ON?
    That's the case in SEVEN's car, so unless I'm missing something, there's still a mistery unanswered with Seven's car right?

4- Most important for me, I admit, I drive 90% of the time with PSE ON in my 996 but sometimes, it is quite nice to go back to quiet mode especially when coming home late at night not to wake up everybody and also on long motorway trips.
    If I go for your setup (that would leave it ON at all times), with windows closed, in the coupe version, would it be ok on long distances. With mine, it's like a constant hum in the back which can prove a bit wearing after a while.

This is great news RC, it's definitely heading in the right direction, thanks again for your time and precious infos!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

$1095 without tips

1. Porsche warranty is affected if an aftermarket exhaust is installed. There is no aftermarket part which "complies" with Porsche warranty. If it ain't a Porsche part, warranty can be voided. Exhausts can create problems (backpressure, backfiring, etc.) which can affect the engine.
    2. a power gain of 10-14 HP from an exhaust only (without new cats, etc.) is impossible for the 997 Carrera S.
    If you're lucky, you get somewhere around 5-8 HP in the upper range, maybe 10 HP if you're really lucky but torque goes down and probably power too at certain rpm figures.
    To gain "REAL" 20-25 HP on the 997 Carrera S, it needs a new DME software, new mufflers, new cats and new manifolds. And of course a sport airfilter.

Why no aftermarket exhaust? Simple (as I mentioned before): I heard several aftermarket systems and none sounds like the PSE, they all have more of a high pitch sound, nice and loud but not Porsche like. Others have a deep growl which is very annoying.
    I never heard of somebody who went from a PSE to an aftermarket product because the PSE on the 996 was simply the best original sound available. The 996 PSE is already "famous" for it's sound, my neighbor (he drives a 996 Targa with PSE) reminds me every night of it when he comes home (and we have pretty good windows and thick walls ).

It says right on their web-site "complies". I just called my PORSCHE Service manager about the Fabspeed mufflers and he said they wouldn't cause any warranty issues. I know they put aftermarket exhausts on A LOT of cars because everytime I'm there they are installing another one. On the flip-side I'd be hesitant because PORSCHE would probably point the finger directly at an aftermarket exhaust say something DOES happen. That's probably what you're referring to.

Regarding the HP and FT.LBS. increase there's a dyno chart and it says:

" +12.9Horsepower and +12.9ftlb torque DYNO Tested (Green dyno graph line is with Maxflo performance mufflers/ Purple line BONE STOCK)

Your point regarding the preference of sound of the PSE vs. aftermarket - Understood....

Which aftermarket exhaust is the one that has a "deep growl" ????????????

It's a shame there isn't an PSE on-off button like on the 996 but I think your solution of on all the time is A WHOLE LOT BETTER then having the sound go on and off depending on speed. But I wonder if disconnecting something and having a problem (related or not)would bring the same consequences from PORSCHE as an aftermarket exhaust. Probably not. And it would simple enough to reconnect that hose like nothing happened.

Regarding the edit - It was my birthday yesterday. THANKS fer being kind to an old man that's getting senile.

As long as the engine for example doesn't brake down, of course the exhaust doesn't void for example the warranty for the gearbox or the brakes. But IF...you understood pretty well what I mean.

The exhaust with the deep growl was a Gemballa, just for the book. There are different versions available, I heard a german street legal version.
    This is another advantage of the PSE: just a simple rubber hose...you get my point.

Senile? Don't worry. I'm 40 and I sometimes forget things too, really important ones. Happy me, I never forgot our marriage anniversary day. This would be lethal...

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

$1095 without tips

These guys are advertising 22-25 HP without "new mufflers, new cats and new manifolds". Just DME and air intake.

Sold by a Porsche dealer too. I just spoke with these guys at "Suncoast motorsports" and they said there is no problem with aftermarket exhausts OR Intakes.

With the help of GIAC tuning, we can help make your 997 a little bit faster. How about an extra 10-22** horsepower (10-18** ft/lbs torque)! This upgrade is a safe yet effective way to increase power and torque throughout the rev range. This can be done by simply remapping your ECU.
    You can send us your Carrera's ECU, or we can program your car here (this will save you the shipping charge). Please contact us for more information. 2005+ Carrera
    ** Chip upgrade alone is the lower HP/TQ number. Higher numbers are when combined with EVO V-Flow air induction system.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=997ecu

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=INTK997

RC do you know if the PSE weight the same or less than stock?
    Also I heard once that the PSE officially doesn't add any HP increase but that in reality it does they just don't want to get into claiming higher HP and whatever considerations that may bring legaly, homologation, etc... however I tend to think that because the sound changes people may get the impression of greater HP

Would be interesting to see a dino of before and after PSE though. But in the 996/997 like you say, there is no room really for much improvement HP wise with just the exhaust. Besides, one thing is to increase top HP and another is improve power delivery on the whole RPM band. And aftermarket tunners tend sacrifice low range or midrange torque for a few more HP at the rev limiter, becuase top HP sells better than midrange performance for example though its more important, but the factory is more focused on the latter. This is why some tunners claim 5-10HP more over the stock. This is very noticeable in motorcycles since the engines are more high strung and due to the low weight, power delivery changes are fairly noticeable. Only with new DME mapping, intake and headers can you extract the potential from an aftermarket exhaust. Though tunners will always exagerate claims just to sell since its hard for the customer to varify the claims, and you never know what octane they are using for the graphs, other small mods, etc.

LOL! EXACTLY..

I'm lucky I have my wife's birthday, our anniversary and then my daughter's birthday on sequential days. My wife's birthday being first. So as long as I get that right it would be pretty hard to miss the next two. ..........

Then again if I do forget boy am I gonna have a problem !!

Is it possible to install aftermarket manifolds and/or cats, after you've installed PSE (which are just mufflers i thought?) This way you have the performance advantage + the great PSE sound...
    Just a question...

Quote:
    Porker said:
    Is it possible to install aftermarket manifolds and/or cats, after you've installed PSE (which are just mufflers i thought?) This way you have the performance advantage + the great PSE sound...
    Just a question...

I don't know for sure but theoretically, it should be possible without major problems.

I'd try different manifolds with high flow cats for a start.
    No DME mod. This should add around 10 HP, maybe slightly more in the upper revv range. If you don't like it, add a DME mod. But don't expect more than 20-25 HP if you want to stay on the "safe" side with engine reliability, etc.

If you compare the 381 HP powerkit changes to the standard 355 HP engine, you'll realize pretty fast that a exhaust manifold/high flow cats/DME mod may add the same power to the car but it definetely will cause problems sooner or later.
    Rule number one regarding tuning: stay away from normally aspirated engines.
    Rule number two regarding tuning: if you really want to do it, change the internal hardware (camshafts, rods, etc.) too.
    A "simple" DME mod for a 25 HP gain incl. exhaust/cats mods only kills the engine sooner or later.
    It is a different story with turbo charged engines.

Re: Porsche Sport Exhaust "loudness" modification - solution

How about some video of the PSE in action, RC????

Quote:
    RC said:
    Also be aware that with the loudness control activated, the sound is pretty disappointing, surprisingly.

What is the loudness control? I don't don't understand what you meant ??

Anybody know or have pictures of what the exhaust tips look like on a non-S 997 with PSE?

Thanks a lot RC, great.

Until today the PSE is not available at my dealer in Germany. I am waiting for it!

Unfortunately i Think also the "non S" 997 has that stupid different tubes...but I'm moving to find someone who can modify them to 2 equal cromed tubes!

Quote:
    Danny G said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

I would like to know what you mean here too, RC, does it mean that when the PSE switch is off (in the case of you can still turn it on or off), the sound is worse than the stock exhaust ?

Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Quote:
    Danny G said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

I would like to know what you mean here too, RC, does it mean that when the PSE switch is off (in the case of you can still turn it on or off), the sound is worse than the stock exhaust ?

I meant the "switch" on the picture where the rubber hoses are leading to. This little part controls the flaps in the exhaust. Or to explain it in a more simple way: without "loudness control" means without the described modification. Sorry for my bad English, I know it sometimes creates a little bit of confusion.

So "loudness control" is that 30km/h-->80km/h quiet zone?

Quote:
    Danny G said:
    So "loudness control" is that 30km/h-->80km/h quiet zone?

No,the range of quiet zone is between 50Km/h and 80Km/h.

RC, any official solution???What happenned with Seven's car? what DME upgrades did they performed?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690768 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410004 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256128 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235365 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774918 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM