Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Well done ! that is a great attitude

Thanks guys, didn't really do anything extraordinary, it's just how I was taught, be nice and be generous.

But some people actually think this is called showing off............mail

--

Gnil:

I love those live shots . Thanks .  But the track looks more like a go-cart place Smiley  , I bet you can't wait for are27 !

It's actually worse than that Smiley, it was a drag strip with some corners addedSmiley

Rivers-Edge-Road-Course-at-Mission-Raceway-Park.jpg

It's a 2km long course. The main/pit straight is the run off for the drag strip, the rest of the track is part of the return road for the drag strip. The old/original layout didn't have turn 2, turn one is actually at turn 3 as indicated above. They added some land and created a new section of the track a while ago.

For the longest time, this is the only track for Western Canada, as in west of Ontario. This year a 'handling' short track was opened on the Victoria Island and our Area 27 track will be in September. Our track will be the only true race track in the proper sense, big, long, with plenty of run offs and capable of hosting real races. 

--

bluelines:
    993Targa:
    Whoopsy:

That last part, is my main point of hypercar ownership, to make as many people happy as I can. The 918 is Porsche's masterpiece, while I own it, I also want as many people to enjoy it with me as possible, I left the car unlocked at the paddock, anyone who walks by I offered up the car for them to sit in and take photographs. Most are shocked about the offer, but none declined. 

Respect! Smiley

+1 Smiley

+3 Smiley Says a lot about you as a person Nick , awesome. 

well done Nick kiss

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

kiss kudos

Enmanuel:
    bluelines:
    993Targa:
    Whoopsy:

That last part, is my main point of hypercar ownership, to make as many people happy as I can. The 918 is Porsche's masterpiece, while I own it, I also want as many people to enjoy it with me as possible, I left the car unlocked at the paddock, anyone who walks by I offered up the car for them to sit in and take photographs. Most are shocked about the offer, but none declined. 

Respect! Smiley

+1 Smiley

+3 Smiley Says a lot about you as a person Nick , awesome. 

+4 Smiley.  Full respect!

Different toys but the same joy ...last week I went with some friends for a track day at Braga..so much fun kiss

Abarth Braga2.jpg

MKSGR:
    RC:

On another scale I also like to make people happy with my RS  and share it . I have taken many '' friends '' for drives in it and each time I let them drive it . Often they could not believe I would let them take the wheel !  They have been so happy after .  Nearly all of them will never ever have such a car , not drive one, and only have dreamed about them , making it available to them is such a small thing for me, but a life time memory for them . Smiley

You're a great person, Nick. This is how I got to drive some wonderful cars I would never be able to afford (Bugatti Veyron, LaFerrari, etc.) because some owners are very generous and happy to share. Of course they do not let anyone drive these cars but still, I cannot say I was/am a close friend and I really enjoyed it. Kudos to you and to people like you who love cars and love to share their experiences. I mean it. Smiley  Smiley 

Did not know you drove the LaFerrari and the Veyron! Which car impressed you more (overall with all their differences) Smiley

LaFerrari all the way. Veyron was a bit underwhelming, especially in the under 200 kph speed range and on curvy roads (where the Ferrari was lots of fun). Would love to try the Chiron but so far, I don't know anyone with a Chiron. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

On another scale I also like to make people happy with my RS  and share it . I have taken many '' friends '' for drives in it and each time I let them drive it . Often they could not believe I would let them take the wheel !  They have been so happy after .  Nearly all of them will never ever have such a car , not drive one, and only have dreamed about them , making it available to them is such a small thing for me, but a life time memory for them . Smiley

You're a great person, Nick. This is how I got to drive some wonderful cars I would never be able to afford (Bugatti Veyron, LaFerrari, etc.) because some owners are very generous and happy to share. Of course they do not let anyone drive these cars but still, I cannot say I was/am a close friend and I really enjoyed it. Kudos to you and to people like you who love cars and love to share their experiences. I mean it. Smiley  Smiley 

Did not know you drove the LaFerrari and the Veyron! Which car impressed you more (overall with all their differences) Smiley

LaFerrari all the way. Veyron was a bit underwhelming, especially in the under 200 kph speed range and on curvy roads (where the Ferrari was lots of fun). Would love to try the Chiron but so far, I don't know anyone with a Chiron. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Thank you Smiley

Let me put it this way: I always dreamt of a Veyron but if I had the money, I wouldn't buy one. angry

--

RC:

Let me put it this way: I always dreamt of a Veyron but if I had the money, I wouldn't buy one. angry

Ohhh, that is a very good summary...

--

pretty weird comparison, not the best video. who's this guy?? 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

pretty weird comparison, not the best video. who's this guy?? 

SmileySmiley same thoughts - not the best video and" who's that guy? Smiley

Another day, another recall for the 918.

I just dropped it off for the last recall on seat belt mountain bolts, and today they got another one for the rear axle spindles. My car is such an early car that every single recall includes it.

Looks like the car will be stuck in the workshop for a while.

Guessing they are all prototypes after all.Smiley
    --

Nick,  how many days has it been in the shop for recalls and other issues? Does Porsche compensate you in anyway?

--

To learn how to live is to learn how to hang on. To learn how to die is to learn how to let go.

I had the car for 2 years coming up this November, so out of 21 months, probably a good 2 1/2 months were spent in the shop doing one thing or another. Add another 2 months I left it there after it was finished cause I was traveling. (normally I go in for  those recalls just before I go on a trip)

To be fair, the parts for the recalls cannot be ordered in advance, Porsche strangely has a policy that the parts can only be ordered once the car is scanned into the system, so a good chunk of time were wasted just waiting for parts to come in from Germany.

Porsche never offered to compensate nor do I ask for any, as I have other cars to drive I don't even ask for a courtesy car. Gives me a chance to drive the other ones when it is in the shop. But in another way they do sort of compensate me for other perks, like invitations to events and such. 

--

I'm sure they value you, and I bet that other makers would perhaps not have given the green light for every recall that Porsche has. kiss The good thing is that it'll eventually be a new car again when everything was recalled smiley

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

That means there are recalls for the interior and the body panels?

Whoopsy:

I had the car for 2 years coming up this November, so out of 21 months, probably a good 2 1/2 months were spent in the shop doing one thing or another. Add another 2 months I left it there after it was finished cause I was traveling. (normally I go in for  those recalls just before I go on a trip)

To be fair, the parts for the recalls cannot be ordered in advance, Porsche strangely has a policy that the parts can only be ordered once the car is scanned into the system, so a good chunk of time were wasted just waiting for parts to come in from Germany.

Porsche never offered to compensate nor do I ask for any, as I have other cars to drive I don't even ask for a courtesy car. Gives me a chance to drive the other ones when it is in the shop. But in another way they do sort of compensate me for other perks, like invitations to events and such. 

Sorry to hear that you have the hassle.

I just don't understand that spare part policy. Well - those 918 owners are well known. They should be aware what part will be needed for which car. And hey - after all, these cars are all maintained by official Porsche Dealerships. They better would trust them and give those parts upfront in order to minimize the clients wait time.

Lars997:
    Whoopsy:

Sorry to hear that you have the hassle.

I just don't understand that spare part policy. Well - those 918 owners are well known. They should be aware what part will be needed for which car. And hey - after all, these cars are all maintained by official Porsche Dealerships. They better would trust them and give those parts upfront in order to minimize the clients wait time.

Yes, completely stupid move by Porsche. My own dealer sold 5 918s, and those come back to the same dealer for service too, so normal thinking would be let's order 5 sets of recall parts so they will be ready when the 5 cars eventually comes back for the fix. Nope. Porsche doesn't do that, they would rather have the cars comes in 1 at a time then each car spend equal time waiting for parts and ship those parts 5 times instead of cheaper 1 shipment. 

Sometimes the thinking of those Germans are completely beyond logic.

--

I think it's probably so that they "retain" as much control as possible over their supply throughout the world. I remember talking to someone once about how Porsche is overzealous about protecting their secrets. Case in point...they use those one-use only screws on the GT3 Cup engines so that they can't be taken apart and "researched" and then reassembled. Maybe that's the reason why they do that with the 918 parts. Just a thought. 

Whoopsy:

Hmmm, maybe that was the reason for the VIP program.... owners will always have another one or two special editions to drive during "shop time".  Smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

And today they issued ANOTHER recall campaign laughlaugh

This time fro resealing the rear fuse box. 

At least my car is already in the shop for the earlier 2 recalls.

--

If you have extra time to leave your car at the dealer during a trip the other 918 owners could use your car as a parts bitch. If you get my drift. Your car goes in and the parts are ordered. When they come in the first 918 owner in line is called and he gets the parts that just arrived and uses his car to order more for yours or another one perhaps. Of course in this case the parts are probably tracked to the vin.  Just a random thought.  I guess in this day and age they figure they can ship everything fast enough and the salesmen get a crack at selling another model car via a loaner .  I wond

Cant believe you have already had the car for TWO years and you have not road tripped to KC?  What's with that? Do I need to meet you half way?

Nah, my dealership and I goes back more than 15 years, they might steal something off someone else's car but not the other way around indecision

As for KC, I am waiting for global warming to hit to move tornado alley eastwards, perhaps New York or something smiley

--

Whoopsy:

Nah, my dealership and I goes back more than 15 years, they might steal something off someone else's car but not the other way around indecision

As for KC, I am waiting for global warming to hit to move tornado alley eastwards, perhaps New York or something smiley

I did not mean for them to steal your parts but rather to use it to order parts while you are not using it and out of town. Some 918 owner might either pay extra for that or return the favor.  

If KC does get blown that Far East I will be certain to pack my ruby red shoes. There is no place like home.  Open invite and even a garage space if you change your mind. 

I don't know if this has been answered long ago, but just out of curiosity, I remember reading that the 918 concept was supposed to weight below 3200lbs even with a 160kw battery and motor setup, but what happened to it that made it go up about 500lbs?  In case you're wondering where I'm getting that from : 1

kingjr9000:

I don't know if this has been answered long ago, but just out of curiosity, I remember reading that the 918 concept was supposed to weight below 3200lbs even with a 160kw battery and motor setup, but what happened to it that made it go up about 500lbs?  In case you're wondering where I'm getting that from : 1

It exceeded all the planned specs by 15 - 20%. Including weight. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689059 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408944 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255639 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234891 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65477 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857774 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773750 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM