Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Alfa Romeo 4C

Whoopsy:

Front engine rear wheel drive little sports car, different layout than the mid engine 4C and Lotus. 

Engine doesn't over power the chassis and driving it fast means skills, keeping momentum and etc. 

The limit is low enough with the skinny tires that one could be drifting and sliding it all the way around the track like a hero to a casual observer indecision

4C and the Lotus has a bit more power, speed will be faster, and the mid engine layout means they will be a tad more nervous, needs a bit more skills to catch it for slides, but same idea as the Miata, lower limit than other high power cars and thus requires more skills to be fast, these 3 would be great cars to hone driving skills. 

I did not drive the new Miata, but some of the older generations. I did drive the 4C and the Lotus - both of them you can handle like a go-cart. Super easy to go into drift and even more easy to get out of it. Hardly over steers. You are having much more background of the cars and the you also have advanced skills - for sure you well choose the right toy. How about an KTM, seems to be one of those track toys, too? 

They don't sell those KTMs here, but we can get Ariel Atoms smiley

--

Radicals in Canada/US?

More and more appearing at track days in Oz. A few of those at Area 27 would be fun. 

http://australia.radicalsportscars.com/?loadnews=regional

--

DJM48:

Radicals in Canada/US?

More and more appearing at track days in Oz. A few of those at Area 27 would be fun. 

http://australia.radicalsportscars.com/?loadnews=regional

Not sure i am good enough to exploit a Radical's performance yet, they have great downforce and needs different set of skills to drive fast.

--

Whoopsy:

great choice, too.Smiley

Lars997:
    Whoopsy:

great choice, too.Smiley

When looking for a car to run on a track, it opens up a lot of choices Smiley

Some of those I won't buy as a road car as there is not much creature comfort, but if I plan to leave it on the track then they suddenly becomes attractive.

--

An Australian delivered 4C.

She hides her extra kilos well, like all classy Italian girls should.

And yes - it does very occasionally rain in Sydney.

1470200096569image.jpeg

--

Whoopsy:
    Lars997:
    Whoopsy:

great choice, too.Smiley

When looking for a car to run on a track, it opens up a lot of choices Smiley

Some of those I won't buy as a road car as there is not much creature comfort, but if I plan to leave it on the track then they suddenly becomes attractive.

I completely understand you. Hence you have your own track soon, you better make sure to fill up that private track-garage with some nice things. Smiley

DJM48:

An Australian delivered 4C.

She hides her extra kilos well, like all classy Italian girls should.

And yes - it does very occasionally rain in Sydney.

1470200096569image.jpeg

Lookin great.... the car, not the weather! Smiley

Thought Whoopsy (amongst others smiley) might enjoy this. She certainly gets what the 4C is about.

She’s very good. My question is why buy this over a Boxster?

--

There is nothing stronger than gentleness.

nberry:

She’s very good. My question is why buy this over a Boxster?

You can't compare a 4C with a Boxster. Smiley

Either you have to live with some compromise or you get both. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi

Why can't compare the 4C spider to a Boxster?
    Which one do you prefere as a weekend car?

cheers

Did you listen to her commentary? She explains exactly why the 4C is absolutely nothing like a Boxster. I don't understand why people have a constant desire to try and compare cars simply because their list prices are similar.

The 4C is a car that demands your full concentration at nearly all times and challenges you to try and tame it. It takes you for a drive, not the other way round, and wants to know if you can keep up with it. It is noisy, raw, uncompromising and visceral. Because of those attributes it is an absolute blast to drive for anyone with an ounce of petrol in their veins. The Cayman GT4 literally feels like a Bentley in comparison. Most people will be far faster in a Boxster or Cayman because both are set up to flatter the driver's skill. The Alfa is set up to challege it and you get out of it feeling like you're skills have really been put to the test if you have tried to access it's performance. Drive both cars over your favourite bit of road and you'll soon discover if you have a preference for comfort and ease of speed over the physical involvement of actually driving the car and trying to master it. Such a drive would show you exactly why the 4C should never be cross shopped with a Boxster/Cayman.

The Boxster/Cayman were designed to be everyday usable cars so have plenty of luggage space, have well insulated cabins, suspension that will generally filter out the worst road surface imperfections, have decent infotainment that you can hear and use easily on the move, provide good all round visibilty, ease of ingress and egress, offer a variety of tech, etc. The 4C has none of these and is all the better for it. Alfa would never beat Porsche at their own game so instead chose to tear up the spec sheet and offer buyers something completely different. It substitutes the Porsche attributes with junior super car styling, complete driver involvement, a real feeling of seats of the pants speed and a dollop of aural drama from the powertrain. The DCT gearbox also does a passable impression of the F1 box in the 430 Scuderia when in Race mode.

Spot on. My brother picked up a 4C a few months ago, and I've driven it a couple of times. Raw, noisy, demanding, compared to a Boxster RS60 I still have. Gearbox is pretty poor if I compare it to the PDK in the Cayman GTS that's my DD. Nowhere near the polish and refinement  of the Cayman or Boxster. BTW, to put the noise in perspective, I already consider the Cayman GTS (6 cylinder) a noise box. Gearbox was better then a 430 F1 however, imo. 

That exactly what I want to know ISUK..thanks SmileySmiley
    In my case I'd love to have a car with 2 seats to go on holydays and weekends....for this case the Boxster it's a good choice.

cheers

The 4C is no good IMHO for wha you are looking for pgouveia. The trunk is tiny and gets quite warm and the fabric roof of the spider takes up all of it in that car when removed and stored in it.

The 4C is the sort of car I'd have driven daily in my 20's and early 30's as I'd have put up with all of it's foibles at that point. Nowadays I'd regard it as a 3rd or 4th car in a garage that you want to drive on a perfect morning just for the thrill of reconnecting with a car in a way that modern cars like the Boxster and Cayman simply can't offer no matter what GT4 owners might claim smiley  I don't think I'll sell mine for many years as there is nothing else quite like it nor will anyone build such a car in future I'd venture to suggest.

KMM, the Cayman GTS is a great car but it really does feel like a grand tourer next to the 4C I'm sure you'll agree. I replaced my other half's 987 Cayman R with one and she instantly missed the R and so did I to be honest. It was more fun and much rawer than the GTS is. I still have my 981 Spyder and that trumps them all for sound as Porsche got that car absolutely nailed out of the box.

ISUK, I agree. The Cayman GTS is a great daily driver, if a bit noisy. And I'm no longer in my 20's or 30's as you put it. The ride is excellent, even on Boston's horrible roads (I got one without the X73 option, but the regular PASM.) And I can drive it to NYC or Vermont (2-3 hour drives) with no issues (Porsche seats are the best, except for the 996 generation.) The 4C is good for a 20 mins spin, no more.

ISUK:

Did you listen to her commentary? She explains exactly why the 4C is absolutely nothing like a Boxster. I don't understand why people have a constant desire to try and compare cars simply because their list prices are similar.

The 4C is a car that demands your full concentration at nearly all times and challenges you to try and tame it. It takes you for a drive, not the other way round, and wants to know if you can keep up with it. It is noisy, raw, uncompromising and visceral. Because of those attributes it is an absolute blast to drive for anyone with an ounce of petrol in their veins. The Cayman GT4 literally feels like a Bentley in comparison. Most people will be far faster in a Boxster or Cayman because both are set up to flatter the driver's skill. The Alfa is set up to challege it and you get out of it feeling like you're skills have really been put to the test if you have tried to access it's performance. Drive both cars over your favourite bit of road and you'll soon discover if you have a preference for comfort and ease of speed over the physical involvement of actually driving the car and trying to master it. Such a drive would show you exactly why the 4C should never be cross shopped with a Boxster/Cayman.

The Boxster/Cayman were designed to be everyday usable cars so have plenty of luggage space, have well insulated cabins, suspension that will generally filter out the worst road surface imperfections, have decent infotainment that you can hear and use easily on the move, provide good all round visibilty, ease of ingress and egress, offer a variety of tech, etc. The 4C has none of these and is all the better for it. Alfa would never beat Porsche at their own game so instead chose to tear up the spec sheet and offer buyers something completely different. It substitutes the Porsche attributes with junior super car styling, complete driver involvement, a real feeling of seats of the pants speed and a dollop of aural drama from the powertrain. The DCT gearbox also does a passable impression of the F1 box in the 430 Scuderia when in Race mode.

He nails it. The 4C is not for everyone, ira for a select few buyers that wanted to value driving experience over anything else. Literally. It is really a raw car. It has zero consideration for anything remotely close to driver or passenger comfort. The only think I can compared closely with the 4C is my Cup car race car, and the Cup car is even more comfortable still!

--

I will defer to Nick’s and Lain’s judgement on the 4C. 

However, I don’t find an underpowered, small uncomfortable car with a Funky exhaust sound particularly enticing. Is it possible that the lack of power steering which makes it more difficult to handle thus requiring more driver focus the reason for the raw experience?yes

--

Nick,

The 4C is anything but underpowered. I can guarantee it could scare the bejesus out of you in the speed department due to the lively chassis smiley It is a very light car and has a power to weight ratio of 259 bhp per tonne. A 991.2 Carrera S has 287.5 bhp per tonne by way of comparison.

The raw experience is down to unassisted steering, the suspension geometry, the low to the ground driving position and the carbon tub and lack of sound proofing which amplifies the noise and lets you hear every stone pinging around the wheel wells and under the body just like you do in a 430 Scuderia etc.

From your posts and car preferences I cannot see it being a car you would enjoy driving.

Lain, I guess it’s true you can’t judge a book from its cover.indecision

But you’re right it wouldn’t be a car for me. 

--

nberry:

I will defer to Nick’s and Lain’s judgement on the 4C. 

However, I don’t find an underpowered, small uncomfortable car with a Funky exhaust sound particularly enticing. Is it possible that the lack of power steering which makes it more difficult to handle thus requiring more driver focus the reason for the raw experience?yes

The 4C is similar to my Lotus Elise in many ways.  It really just comes down to sensations over speed.  You feel more feedback from the steering wheel and through your butt as to what the suspension and tires are doing, what the texture of the road is, and simply a better sense of speed.  60mph in my Elise feels about the same as 100mph in my GT4.  Your brain is getting a lot more information (not all of which needs to be reacted to) and therefore it's just more mentally stimulating to drive.  On the downside, there is a limit to how long you can drive such a car (I doubt you would like to spend more than 30 minutes in a Ferrari 360 Stradale).

Modern Porsche GT cars are far more insulated to make them usable day-to-day and for road trips, so that's a plus.  They also have modern adaptive shocks which help them be more usable in a variety of situations.  On the downside, they are not as interesting to drive until you start pushing them hard, at which time they start to give the same kind of sensations as above, just turned down in "volume".  At regular speeds, you just turn the wheel, the car follows, no drama or real sensations.

Matt Farah did a good job of explaining when he did a One Take on my Elise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHdTpGWBHNE

Good points. Everytime I drove the Stradale, I exited with a headache. Interestingly, not so in my RS.

--

nberry:

Good points. Everytime I drove the Stradale, I exited with a headache. Interestingly, not so in my RS.

Only drive the Lotus with the top off now.  Instead of being in a soup can of resonance, taking the top off makes it quite pleasant!  

Wonder if the 4C Spyder is the one to have for that reason.

nberry:

Well, I think you can‘t really compare a Challenge Stradale from the late nineties with a RS from today.

I guess a 964 Carrera RS will give you the same headache, while a Pista won‘t. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

this is a little fun car to buy soner or later and have it in the garage, very fun driving toy....for the mountains it is just a go kart, remember when I drove my friends car...stiull remember how fun it was...love it

--

993 c2

This car will become a collector . 

Sad what is happening at Alfa . None of their current sedan range is doing as planed . So they decided to stop all project regarding GT/sports cars . They will introduce only new SUV 's  surprise Makes sense to have an F1 team heart

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

The only cool car they had...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662769 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401346 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254617 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229312 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59692 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4386 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853610 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    762110 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM