Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Nicks new Targa 4S

Leawood911:

+ 1. However I have driven in Kansas my entire life and this is the first time I have heard that signal is not required to change lanes.  I highly doubt that. I will look it up and get back to you. 

You would like my driving RC.  I may drive fast and even speed but I don't take extra chances by not signaling. 

PS I figured you would chime in and agree with me on this one item.  Good for you. 

I don't want to "destroy" Nick's thread but I really have an "allergy" against drivers who don't use their turn signal.

The "best" kind of this breed are those who are suddenly braking strongly to take an immediate turn... At least if they would use their turn signal in time...

Now back to topic...Nick's beautiful Targa. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I was simply amused when he could not figure out why people were pissed at him even though someone actually told him why.  I frequently wonder if people understand when I honk or flash my lights when people don't signal and cut me off.  I guess I know the answer. They really don't have a clue.  When Porsche drivers do it too I am even more perplexed.  No reason for people who don't get it to keep a car or drivers licence. 

Back to Nick's beautiful car which has awesome turn signals at each corner, barely used. 

Nick, 

congrats on your beautiful car!

Regarding using the indicator, I second Leawood´s and RC´s comments. You use the indicator to signal for OTHER people, not for yourself. I cannot understand people how avoid using theirs either. 

I have had the car for three weeks and still immensely enjoy it. However, I have a gripe and it was exemplied today when I followed a Jaguar Cab FS. I had been noticing that whenever I left end my foot off the throttle the car would backfire giving farting sounds. I didn't think much of it until I followed the Jag. It has terrific exhaust sound when accelerating very much like a Ferrari. However, when he took his foot off the throttle the car did what my Targa did, backfire and fart. It sounded awful. I am sure my car isn't any better when left off the throttle. 

I didn't have the problem with GT3 and the Ferrari's. Is this because of this sport exhaust? Is it related to the turbo? This is a real downer for me. I believe if I drove without the SE engaged the backfiring is minimized. Then what is the. point of having SE?yes

--

To learn how to live is to learn how to hang on. To learn how to die is to learn how to let go.

Some people like that sound and equates that to sportiest.

--

Back in high school many moons ago it meant your carburetor was running lean or rich. We would work on it until it was right and stopped. Now it seems to be acceptable and even desired. I'm with nberry in that I don't fancy it either.  The Gt3 did not do that because it sounds much better just the way it is.  It never needs the intentional farting. 

nberry: 

I didn't have the problem with GT3 and the Ferrari's. Is this because of this sport exhaust? Is it related to the turbo? This is a real downer for me. I believe if I drove without the SE engaged the backfiring is minimized. Then what is the. point of having SE?yes

I think you are experiencing two things:

1. I fail to see how a modern precision-engineered direct-fuel-injection engine experiences this much backfiring. Hence the backfires must be programmed to happen on the overrun to "enhance the driver experience" Smiley The GT4 does not behave like this, other than the very occasional loud *BANG* when the engine is cold, and I never heard a GT3 / RS do this at track days either. With my previous 991 C4S I first found the backfires cool, but this wore off and in the end they got rather tiring.

2. With a forced induction engine you get muted farts instead of pops and crackles. It does not seem to matter much if it is a turbo, like in your 911, or a compressor, like in the Jaguar. Our Audi S3, with turbo, and previous S5, with compressor, behaved the same. It is more blowing raspberries, than race car pops Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

I find the pops and bangs are accentuated on our (N/A) Boxster GTS if accelerating fairly hard in first gear from a stand still and then smartly take foot off the loud pedal. It's like a shot gun going off. Sometimes even at more modest openings so not always predictable. When I occasionally take my car to work I have to pass through armed security guards - I always put the car into "Normal" mode with sport exhaust off to avoid this - for obvious reasons!! Smiley Smiley

----

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 R Design daily drive

nberry:

I have had the car for three weeks and still immensely enjoy it. However, I have a gripe and it was exemplied today when I followed a Jaguar Cab FS. I had been noticing that whenever I left end my foot off the throttle the car would backfire giving farting sounds. I didn't think much of it until I followed the Jag. It has terrific exhaust sound when accelerating very much like a Ferrari. However, when he took his foot off the throttle the car did what my Targa did, backfire and fart. It sounded awful. I am sure my car isn't any better when left off the throttle. 

That overrun popping is programmed in, many other cars have it supposedly to sound sportier, just like the Jaguar.

This happens in the NA 911.1 as well, but in the 991.2 its even more noticeable, to ridiculous levels (probably to try to make it sound sportier to compensate for the turbo sound, or lack of), IMO its already too much in the 991.1. In the 997 PSE it happens much much less.

This is something I don't like at all, a little pop here and there is OK, but it has become ridiculous now IMO.

I don''t know if its the same in the 991.2 Nick, but if you turn on the PSE but do not have it in SPORT mode, it will not pop in overrun, it only basically does it in Sport mode (occasionally in normal mode and less loudly, which is perfectly OK). This is what I do when I'm driving in traffic or city where I don't want people to hear all that popping and thinking I'm running unrestricted tunner exhausts or flooring the car...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

My R8 "backfires" in two ways: Under 3000 rpm, usually like loud bottle pops, similar to the 991 Turbo S but louder, not very nice and then the "real" (still engineered, I guess) backfiring at revs around 4000-6000 rpm, where the backfires sound amazing, very clear and loud, as if someone fired a few shots from a semi-automatic. The muted pops are pathetic but the loud and clear backfires at higher revs are a bit too much sometimes, especially when you are driving within the city.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Carlos, I'll try that.Smiley

Honestly, the farting (and that is what it is) sounds cheap and cheesy. It reminds me of low powered cars with cheap exhausts. It is  like putting a RS wing on a Honda Civic. Smiley

--

To learn how to live is to learn how to hang on. To learn how to die is to learn how to let go.

Carlo, you're right.kiss

No farting or back firing if you engage SE but not sport or sport+. If there is any, it is quite muted. Which leads to the next question. What is the mechanical explanation for this phenomena? 

--

Great to hear that it works the same in your 991.2 Targa nick so you can avoid the popping when you want to, only downside is that you can't use sport mode at that time.

Don't quote me but I believe the reason for the pop is the combustion of un burnt fuel in the exhausts. On modern fuel injected sportscars it's done 100% by design on purpose to add sportiness, but lately they seem to completely overdue it in some models to three point of being embarrassing in normal driving.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Great to hear that it works the same in your 991.2 Targa nick so you can avoid the popping when you want to, only downside is that you can't use sport mode at that time.

Don't quote me but I believe the reason for the pop is the combustion of un burnt fuel in the exhausts. On modern fuel injected sportscars it's done 100% by design on purpose to add sportiness, but lately they seem to completely overdue it in some models to three point of being embarrassing in normal driving.

Carlos, you're so write. I posted the issue on Rennlist and those that have responded felt the same way. To me it sounds phony and trashy.

Thanks for your help. SmileyIt makes the enjoyment of the car much better.

--

After 8 years of Obama, lol,,,,.....You might want that ''backfire sound'' for safety reasons if you drive at night around Detroit, Salinas or East LA. indecision  

Nick: Congratulations on your new car!

Re road rage. The same up north in the Bay Area. Lots of envy, growing exponentially in the last 10 years. Best approach is no eye contact and if unavoidable a friendly smile.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

nberry:
    Carlos from Spain:

Carlos, you're so write. I posted the issue on Rennlist and those that have responded felt the same way. To me it sounds phony and trashy.

Thanks for your help. SmileyIt makes the enjoyment of the car much better.

Smiley IMO Porsche should offer a "fix" via software update at the shop, I'm sure it could be possible since the popping is done artificially and without Sport mode you don't have it, so they should give the customer the possibility of not having it in Sport Mode either.

--

Carlos from Spain:

Am I the only one to see the irony in changing to turbos for better fuel economy then throwing away fuel to create these little fireworks shows?? 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Turbo-ed engines cars are only economical on paper,, when it's driven on the off boost map. When the ECU switch to normal map it is worse than NA cars. 

--

Whoopsy:

Turbo-ed engines cars are only economical on paper,, when it's driven on the off boost map. When the ECU switch to normal map it is worse than NA cars. 

Smiley When I drive my R8 full speed on the Autobahn, my maximum fuel consumption is 24.x liters/100 km. 

When I drove my Turbo S full speed on the Autobahn, my maximum fuel consumption was sometimes over 26 liters. Keep in mind that my R8 has 610 hp, my former Turbo S had 50 hp less.

On the other hand, I was able to do under 7 liters/100 km with my Turbo S, driving constantly at 120 kph.

When driven calmly and without full throttle, these turbo engines certainly give you a lower fuel consumption but it you hit the throttle hard, turbo engines always consume more fuel. 

--

ADias:

Nick: Congratulations on your new car!

Re road rage. The same up north in the Bay Area. Lots of envy, growing exponentially in the last 10 years. Best approach is no eye contact and if unavoidable a friendly smile.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Thanks. You don't post often. Where have you been?

--

Still around but true not posting recently. Still like Rennteam and its members.

Nice to se you enjoying a new 11 after your decision (thoughtful I thought) re your GT3 experience.

--

Congrats Nick and thanks to Enm for the pics!

The darker, the better kiss

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690722 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409918 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256109 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235351 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65728 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858667 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774872 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM