Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Mini

Sorry in advance, hardly a sports car, and I hesitated before posting.
    But this could be of interest for some of us.
    Between a 996, an S and an SL, none of these cars are really a doodle to drive around Paris, so there we go, new car, since last weekend!
    Took a while to come (sales are still going strong) and it was thought unnecessary to go for the S as it would mainly be a town car.
    Well, I regret, bc here's the point of this post, it handles really well!!!
    Car only has 100 km on it, so still fresh but it has the optional sports chassis (being a rennteamer, it had to have it!) and it's a really a fun car to drive! wheels at each extremety means the chassis has a lot of stability in the bends and great feedback through the steering!
    For anyone who wants to keep their proper sports car pristine during the week, this is a really cool alternative, bar the girly image.
    Went for a funky color as it is a funky car I believe, will be interesting to see how parisians w*nkers react to the huge union jack on the roof but I personally love it!
    Quality is top notch, thank you BMW, and the Harmann Kardon sound system is excellent!

Re: New Mini

The interior, very nice too!

francoise, don't care about "girlie" car and so on...the mini in the city and also on twisty roads is fantastic!!
    I had one cooper, one cooper S and now a cooper s JCW and i think that in Italy, to drive in town is the best choice.
    Now that i sold the 911 turbo cabrio for the db9 i 'm missing a cabrio so i ordered a mini cooper s cabrio , for the next summer! I suggest to drive a s or a JCW, and you will see that the car is capable to bear a lot more of hp's!
    have fun!

the mini is one of the few cars that is ok to be seen in, even 'cool', even though it is in the mini/hatchback category.

it owes most of this to BMW and the remake of the "Italian Job" film, a brillaint piece of marketing i might add.

i almost bought one, but im out of garage space

Nice buy! Nice color too!

I completely agree with your decision!

Couldn't agree more Moogle. If I had the garage space I'd be ordering one.

genius design all-throughout.

nearly unbeatable, really...

Not to go too far off topic, but for those that have driven both, how does a cooper compare with an Elise? it SHOULDNT be close...but I have a feeling the characteristics may be similar....thinking of getting an elise in summer MAYBE....but I dont want the same car only as a roadster!

Congrats Fanch, very nice choice, I was thinking myself in get one of those, as my Cab and my Range Rover V8 that makes 19L/100Kph are not exactly the best everyday cars.
    This car is master piece of marketing, the lines are so classy, yet sportive as well, the real Mini of the XXI century, miles ahead the Beetle project.

I know this car is about turns, but let me know your feedback about how it macthes the highway. Is it to noisy? does suspension feels to hard or become a bit bumpy over highway concrete joins? How about the driver position (I'm 1,90Mts) and shift feel of the gearbox? I ask this because I make a bit of highway everyday on my way to work.
    Is there any good Mini board? Thanks in advance.

J.Seven

Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    Not to go too far off topic, but for those that have driven both, how does a cooper compare with an Elise? it SHOULDNT be close...but I have a feeling the characteristics may be similar....thinking of getting an elise in summer MAYBE....but I dont want the same car only as a roadster!

bostonmini, those two cars shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

in terms of price the elise is about 2x the cost, the differences only begin there.

the elise is a very hardcore drivers' car

the interior is pretty much stripped out, getting in is a game of acrobatics,

once inside, most will find it too stiff and unconfortable, but the handling is some of the best in the world.

i could say some nasty things about the toyota engine, but i won't because as a package, nothing can match the handling at the price.

the mini is an altogether different car.

i took an elise home for a weekend, i thought it was a big too toy-ish, but as a sunday driver/trackday car, it is very impressive package for the price.

Great, just found this forum on google

http://www.mini2.com/forum/

Seems a credible forum.

J.Seven

Congrats Francoise, great little car!
    Got a Cooper for city driving as well, there's nothing better in and around town than this car. You will love it! Enjoy!
    Also like the Union Jack!

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    J.Seven

http://www.mini2.com/forum/ is the best IMO

Quote:
    J.Seven said:

I know this car is about turns, but let me know your feedback about how it macthes the highway. Is it to noisy? does suspension feels to hard or become a bit bumpy over highway concrete joins? How about the driver position (I'm 1,90Mts) and shift feel of the gearbox? I ask this because I make a bit of highway everyday on my way to work.

J.Seven

Thanks for the kind words y'all!

J. Seven,

All I've done so far is a trip to the airport
    It's still brand new. But I'll let you know.
    On the motorway it was fine, no problem.
    Suspensions are hard, but it has the sports chassis and I like it that way. 16in wheels smooth the ride a bit compared to the 17in.
    Shift feel is amazing, the Cooper is 5 speed, very nice.
    Driver's position is spot on, you'll be fine at 1m90 but there won't be much space behind you for rear passengers.
    I'll let you know more one it's broken in.

Art Italy,

I think you're right, we should have stretched to the S, especially since with all the opions, this car is more expensive than an S!
    We peronally didn't like the cab and after seeing some on the streets, I can confirm it.
    It doesn't look good with that big ankward piece of cloth hood up and it doesn't look good roof down because of the huge piece of plastic holding the rool over hoops. Just my opinion though, once you in it, you don't see those things, but everyone else sees you!
    If you like it, great, but make sure the loss of the roof doesn't compromise the great handling of the coupe!

It is a sports car - there was, and may still be, a great racing series in the UK for these - and watched a classic Mini race the other day - it was like F1 in slow mo, taking the whole back straight to do an overtaking manouver 4 abreast.

I love my Mini too - a great foil for the Porsche. Here's the time they first met....

congrats to your town-toy fanch! i like the mini very much, i'm thinking about getting it as a daily driver for quite some time now. while at BMW some weeks ago i spotted a "black edition" mini which was really nice (nearly all chrome was painted black). but since the newmini Mk II is around the corner, i think i should wait.

like your red, btw.

Quote:
    I think you're right, we should have stretched to the S, especially since with all the opions, this car is more expensive than an S!

IMO you did the right choice, the cooper is the best value for money. "S" is overpriced.

Quote:

We peronally didn't like the cab and after seeing some on the streets, I can confirm it.
    It doesn't look good with that big ankward piece of cloth hood up and it doesn't look good roof down because of the huge piece of plastic

agreed! the mini convertible is ugly. mini's classless lifestyle aura doesn't work with the ragtop IMO.

Congrats, I have a Cooper S myself, I use it 'almost' everyday and its great for parking too...
    I don't think the S is overpriced, but the JCW is oeverpriced.

the S is very good value, expecially when compared with similar performance hatches like the golf GTi. Recently had a 1 series courtesy car - 116i, bare with no extras, cost was Pounds18,000 - and the quality was useless, not a patch on the mini which is very well put together.

Cool car fanch . I like your choice of color. Last time I rode in one was probably 25 years ago my uncle had a the older model and I used to love riding in that car. this car has been received very well in the U.S. too and is still going very strong too.

Good choice

Good choice Fanch
    I have not tried one myself but from what I heard everyone here that has say about its great handling (kart-like) I wish I had. Looks like great fun to drive and also perfect for moving around the city. Soon you will be thinking about the Works kit

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Sorry in advance, hardly a sports car, and I hesitated before posting.
    But this could be of interest for some of us.
    Between a 996, an S and an SL, none of these cars are really a doodle to drive around Paris, so there we go, new car, since last weekend!
    Took a while to come (sales are still going strong) and it was thought unnecessary to go for the S as it would mainly be a town car.
    Well, I regret, bc here's the point of this post, it handles really well!!!
    Car only has 100 km on it, so still fresh but it has the optional sports chassis (being a rennteamer, it had to have it!) and it's a really a fun car to drive! wheels at each extremety means the chassis has a lot of stability in the bends and great feedback through the steering!
    For anyone who wants to keep their proper sports car pristine during the week, this is a really cool alternative, bar the girly image.
    Went for a funky color as it is a funky car I believe, will be interesting to see how parisians w*nkers react to the huge union jack on the roof but I personally love it!
    Quality is top notch, thank you BMW, and the Harmann Kardon sound system is excellent!

Francoise, I have owned one for over a year and it is a blast to drive. The other day I was behind a M3 on a very twisting road and he could not lose me. At the appropriate time, I passed him in a sharp curve but he pull away as we exited.The car really handles well but lacks power.

I have the regular Mini and wish I had the S. But my wife wanted automatic and the S does not come in auto at least not yet. You will not refret your purchase.

I will add your concerns regarding it being somewhat girlie are misplaced. I cannot tell the number of woman that approach me to "discuss" the car. Of course, it might have something to do with my good looks.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM