Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Anyone buying a 997 S Cabriolet have a delivery date yet ?

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    I haven't got a delivery date yet, but I did receive confirmation today that my car has been completed. The dealer's computer showed: PRDLST (Factory last checkpoint). The best estimate from the dealer is that I should get the car within 3 to 4 weeks.

Phil

When did you order your car?
    mine was ordered first week of sepember and will be delivered in app. 8 weeks

Quote:
    beltar said:

I don't think your dealer could actually place the order in September. The dealers didn't even receive their order guides for the cab until late November/early December. Porsche would not accept an order before that. I actually gave my dealer my order the 1st week of December and by the 15th they had received confirmation from PCNA that the order had been accepted. The first allocation my dealer received was for March builds. Mine was the first order placed by my dealer for a cab, so in theory I should receive their first non-launch cab. My dealer has a good allocation since they are one of the 5 largest dealers in the USA. Maybe your dealer didn't get any March build allocation. Ask them for the current status. They should be able to at least get an estimated build completion date.

Phil

I am sorry, please don't bash me but I don't understand your interest in a convertible 997. The car simply lacks of character in my opinion; it just looks like any sedan or saab models you cut off the solid roof to replace it with a canvas. Why didn't they bring a drastic modification to the lines when building the convertible? I find old 911 oil-air cooled cabriolet more interesting to look at. What annoys me in the new convertible is that its overall shape is "too predictable" and lacks the temper making the old versions so inspiring.

Quote:
    zacharie said:
    I am sorry, please don't bash me but I don't understand your interest in a convertible 997. The car simply lacks of character in my opinion; it just looks like any sedan or saab models you cut off the solid roof to replace it with a canvas. Why didn't they bring a drastic modification to the lines when building the convertible? I find old 911 oil-air cooled cabriolet more interesting to look at. What annoys me in the new convertible is that its overall shape is "too predictable" and lacks the temper making the old versions so inspiring.

Each to his own. Where do you live? I would guess it is not where you could use a convertible most of the year. If you ask most convertible owners if they like their cars, I believe you would discover they would not go back to a coupe. I had Porsche coupes, but once I tried a cab I could not go back to a coupe. Whenever Porsche comes out with a new model, if they don't offer it in a cab, I am not interested. Where I live I can go topless most of the year. There is nothing like the wind and sun in your face. And you can never really hear how good the engine sounds in a coupe. I enjoy the symphony coming from the rear so much that I tend to keep the radio volume low. Here in the USA over 50% of the 911's sold are cabs. If my primary interest was tracking the car, then a coupe would be the way to go. Like I said, each to his own.....but there shouldn't be any mystery why some of us love cabs. You mentioned a lack of character.....Porsche has been making cabs since the beginning. When you think of many of the classics, they were convertibles. There is a place for both coupes and cabs in the world of Porsches.

Phil

Hi Phil,
    I understand your point and agree with you. It's true that a convertible would loose its main functionality where I live [Paris, France]. Particularly when you're stuck in dense traffic with diesel trucks around you; added to that pollution, the chill air under grey skies is not that great.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    beltar said:

I don't think your dealer could actually place the order in September. The dealers didn't even receive their order guides for the cab until late November/early December. Porsche would not accept an order before that. I actually gave my dealer my order the 1st week of December and by the 15th they had received confirmation from PCNA that the order had been accepted. The first allocation my dealer received was for March builds. Mine was the first order placed by my dealer for a cab, so in theory I should receive their first non-launch cab. My dealer has a good allocation since they are one of the 5 largest dealers in the USA. Maybe your dealer didn't get any March build allocation. Ask them for the current status. They should be able to at least get an estimated build completion date.

Phil

That's right, it only could be regiseterd off; half february 2005. But it was already on the waiting list from september... Mine was nr 2 on the list , a normal 997 is 1, mine a 997s

I just got my VIN today, so it is official, my cab has been made. Last Tuesday I was told by my dealer that my car had passed checkpoint 8, which is supposedly one of the last places you car goes through in the factory. Today my car shows that production has been completed. I don't know why it would take 6 days from the car passing the last checkpoint to officially showing that production has been completed. 3/15/05 Check point 8, 3/21/05 Production completed. Perhaps the car has to pass the roadtest and everything else before it is offically completed. Hopefully I will see it in a month or so.

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    I just got my VIN today, so it is official, my cab has been made. Last Tuesday I was told by my dealer that my car had passed checkpoint 8, which is supposedly one of the last places you car goes through in the factory. Today my car shows that production has been completed. I don't know why it would take 6 days from the car passing the last checkpoint to officially showing that production has been completed. 3/15/05 Check point 8, 3/21/05 Production completed. Perhaps the car has to pass the roadtest and everything else before it is offically completed. Hopefully I will see it in a month or so.

Phil

I got a call from the dealer today , my car will be delivered in 4 weeks app 15/4/2005

Quote:
    PS CA said:

Phil

Phil,

Im in the same boat as you (although i wish my car was on the boat instead) had my vin for about 10 days and passed that checkpoint but car is still not on the water. Dealer told me it will be for sure by EOW. Don't know what takes so long after completion. The waiting is driving me crazy!!!

How long does it take, after completion, before the car gets to an american dealership?

My dealer told me will be in two to three weeks. Guess it's two weeks on the water + however long it takes them to finally get it on the boat. Wonder how much Fed-Ex would cost

Quote:
    beltar said:
    How long does it take, after completion, before the car gets to an american dealership?

I have been told that it takes about a month from completion until arrival at the dealership here in California.

Today I received a small brochure from PCNA about the 997 cabs. The brochure refers to "Top-Down Driving Events" that begin on April 2nd. The "event" runs through April 9th. It says to contact your local dealer for exact dates and times. It doesn't really spell out what events they are talking about. I assume it the formal introduction of the 997 cab????? This is strange since the dealers have had the launch vehicles for a few weeks now.

Phil

question gentlemen: is there a way to unzip the rear window out???

...nostalgic thoughts of my greatly beloved, deceased Defender...

Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    question gentlemen: is there a way to unzip the rear window out???

With the early 996 cabs the rear window was flexible clear plastic that appears to be sewn in place.

With later 996's and the 997's the rear window is solid glass. I believe it is sewn in place also.

Phil

My 997S cab finishe production 3/16 and been waiting for vessel since then. We should all be on a same boat hopefully leaving this week. Ohhhhh how fun.

Got word today that I'm PRDEST 4-25. I should have the car by the second week in May.
    Perfect timing actually. It was snowing here last week. By the second week of May I'll be able to use a convertible.

Guess I got really lucky. Didn't order the car until January and it'll be done next month. Sweeeeeeeet !

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    Got word today that I'm PRDEST 4-25. I should have the car by the second week in May.
    Perfect timing actually. It was snowing here last week. By the second week of May I'll be able to use a convertible.

Guess I got really lucky. Didn't order the car until January and it'll be done next month. Sweeeeeeeet !

They missed my estimated completion date by over a week. Then my car and several others sat for about two weeks after they showed completion. It appears they may finally be on vessel (I can't check today, my salesman is off).

Phil

Do you know why this happened ?

Do you know which port Porsche ships to ? How long from the time it reaches port to ship across the US ?

Thanks for your help btw w/ the codes.

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    Do you know why this happened ?

Do you know which port Porsche ships to ? How long from the time it reaches port to ship across the US ?

Thanks for your help btw w/ the codes.

No reason was given (nor available) for the delay on the completion date or why it sat for two weeks after it was done. Others have said the the estimated dates can vary a week or two either way. Then you have to wait for the next ship. They probably only leave a couple of times a month.

I think Porsche ships to Baltimore and San Diego. I'm guessing the voyage takes about a week to Baltimore and probably 2 weeks to San Diego. Depending on where you are in the country, after PDI, it probably takes anywhere from 1 day to 1 week to receive your car.

Fed Ex just just delivered a package to me containing the DVD for the navigation system. If your salesman is on top of things he will order the DVD as soon as you get your VIN number. Some dealers wait for the car to arrive before they order it. Then you may not have the DVD for a week or so.

Phil

I was in the same boat... had a 3/7 build and sat for about 10 days before it finally showed on the boat. Should have the end of next week or week of 4/11.

Stradale.... would have been nice taking the top down yesterday. Instead i had some fun running over the pigeons in my SUV.

That's pretty much what my dealer said today. Guess mine would come into Baltimore. And we're only a few hours drive away from there. He said about 1 week to ship and then total approx. 6 days before I'm driving her. That could mean I could have her by the 1st. week in May but I know how these things go. As long as it's sometime in May I'm happy. We don't really get convertible weather till then and it would be nice to drive the car off the lot with the top down.

You're in the home stretch. Sounds good.

The next time I call me dealer I'll ask him to order the DVD. I'll wait about a week or so. Maybe by then I'll have more news. THANKS for the tip !

Quote:
    cantwait2getmine said:
    I was in the same boat... had a 3/7 build and sat for about 10 days before it finally showed on the boat. Should have the end of next week or week of 4/11.

Stradale.... would have been nice taking the top down yesterday. Instead i had some fun running over the pigeons in my SUV.

I was inside at the car show yesterday but you're right it was kinda nice.

There's mucho pigeons in Manhattan. Good eaten too. Yummm.

Quote:
    Stradale said:
    The next time I call me dealer I'll ask him to order the DVD. I'll wait about a week or so. Maybe by then I'll have more news. THANKS for the tip !

They cannot order the DVD until they can get the VIN for your car. They cannot get the VIN until the car is completed at the factory. Once they tell you the car is completed ask for the VIN and also tell them to order your DVD.

Phil

Quote:
    Stradale said:

Was there on monday.. and since everyone was talking about debadging in another post... did you happen to see the $100,000 custom jeweled hood ornament on the bently. It only pops up when the car is on.

Where can i get a 24k gold and diamond studded carrera S badge?

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    Stradale said:

They cannot order the DVD until they can get the VIN for your car. They cannot get the VIN until the car is completed at the factory. Once they tell you the car is completed ask for the VIN and also tell them to order your DVD.

Phil

This is great info Phil.
    I'm getting NAV. and it would have bothered me if I had to wait to get it going..THANKS AGAIN !

Quote:
    cantwait2getmine said:
    Quote:
    Stradale said:

Was there on monday.. and since everyone was talking about debadging in another post... did you happen to see the $100,000 custom jeweled hood ornament on the bently. It only pops up when the car is on.

Where can i get a 24k gold and diamond studded carrera S badge?

Bently was right next to Ferrari again so I only glanced at the cars. I saw the 4 door Cont. GT. think they call it the Flying Spur.
    I was taking some pics of the new Ferrari 430 Spider when someone tapped me on the shoulder. It was my Ferrari salesman. He invited me inside their exhibit to take some pics and bs. People were handing me their cameras and asking me to take pics of the engine bays...Made me feel like the hot-shot that I'm not. lol !

But no didn't see the custom jeweled hood ornament.A Gold and diamond Carrera badge would be da bomb yo. Check it, maybe I can get mine in platinum fer some extra Bling !

Re: Anyone buying a 997 S Cabriolet have a delivery date yet

GT Silver
    Terracotta Interior
    Auto Dimming Mirrors
    Sport Chrono
    Sport Shift
    Chrome Pipes
    Heated Seats
    Adaptive Sport
    Dials in White
    Console in Body color
    Silver Belts
    three spoke Multi function wheel
    Instrument in aluminium look
    PCM
    BOSE Sound
    CD Changer

3rd Week of April per dealer

Quote:
    tooner said:
    GT Silver
    Terracotta Interior
    Auto Dimming Mirrors
    Sport Chrono
    Sport Shift
    Chrome Pipes
    Heated Seats
    Adaptive Sport
    Dials in White
    Console in Body color
    Silver Belts
    three spoke Multi function wheel
    Instrument in aluminium look
    PCM
    BOSE Sound
    CD Changer

3rd Week of April per dealer

That's great. Nice selection of options. Congrats!
    The chrome exhaust tips should be really nice. I tried ordering the sport exhaust which comes with the chrome tips and was told it wasn't available so I asked for the tips and was told it wasn't available either but that was back in January. I never followed up on them to see if I could get them ordered. I wonder what is the cut off for changes in an order ? Once your car has a PRDEST (Est. Production complete) code is it too late ?

Well.... The wait of the last two months was hard enough, but winter weather in NY had made it a bit easier. This afternoon i got my long awaited call.... My 997S Cab will be at the dealer tomorrow (only two weeks later than promised!!!). The weather has gotten nice here and I will NOT be able to get any sleep for the next 2 days after reading all these posts. I think these 2 days will seem longer than the last 2 months.

Quote:
    cantwait2getmine said:
    Well.... The wait of the last two months was hard enough, but winter weather in NY had made it a bit easier. This afternoon i got my long awaited call.... My 997S Cab will be at the dealer tomorrow (only two weeks later than promised!!!). The weather has gotten nice here and I will NOT be able to get any sleep for the next 2 days after reading all these posts. I think these 2 days will seem longer than the last 2 months.

Congratulations ! You'll be the first one to get a customer S cab !Please put in plenty of pics !

Which dealer do you use ?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781424 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442704 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263420 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261772 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85890 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5948 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881535 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819263 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM