Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 718 Boxster

Nicely configured at 100 grand for 2 liters?

Nope. Not for me.

For a Boxster, 100 grand is even to much for 3 liters 6 Zylinder. Smiley

My wife drives a 718 Boxster (non S) loaner right now. Looked at it a bit closer and quality is top notch, inside and outside. Car looks very good, very "mature", very high quality but the engine sound is very close to the old VW Beetle.

Will drive the car tomorrow a bit more and maybe I can say more about it...

Is it worth 75k or 80k? Not really in my opinion but Porsche always gets away with higher prices. Compared to the 4C I saw however, there is a difference like night and day in haptic and materials quality.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Looking forward to your review...

RC:

My wife drives a 718 Boxster (non S) loaner right now. Looked at it bit closer and quality is top notch, inside and outside. Car looks very good, very "mature", very high quality but the engine sound is very close to the old VW Beetle.

Will drive the car tomorrow a bit more and maybe I can say more about it...

Is it worth 75k or 80k? Not really in my opinion but Porsche always gets away with higher prices. Compared to the 4C I saw however, there is a difference like night and day in haptic and materials quality.

I envisage the 4C is nearer  kit car quality than Porsche standard - I would never have one even as a one time Alfa enthusiast.

Look forward to your thoughts on the latest Beetle Spyder....Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 R Design daily drive

I drove a 718 Boxster today. Thinking of getting one for the gf. I may be the only one here who actually enjoyed the sound...but then again, I think old beetles sound pretty nice...

Doesn't sound nearly as good as the old NA 6, no. BUT, added torque is great for every day driving and engine responsiveness is good. I probably wouldn't "upgrade" from a pre-facelift flat six Boxster/Cayman and I can certainly understand the disappointment of some flat six 981 owners in terms of sound. However, as a package, the car is great IMO. Very pricey for a four pot, but no competitors come close overall IMO.

All considered, it's probably not as good a "toy" as it used to be, but a better car. A loss for some, a gain for others.

I'm glad I bought by 981 GTS when I did. It may be true that the 718 has no real competition, but compared to the 981, it's a step backward.

mcdelaug:

I'm glad I bought by 981 GTS when I did. It may be true that the 718 has no real competition, but compared to the 981, it's a step backward.

It's actually an improvement in many ways, but sadly to no avail as overall it's trashed by that lousy engine. Smiley The upside, here in the UK anyway is demand for 981 GTS used is strong (no wonder) and residual values exceptionally strong. Smiley

--

Glad to hear, however, in Germany, the GTS versions, in particular the Cayman, seem not to be very popular - I guess, here, we are still in 911 country...As I have mentioned before, the GT4 certainly is quite the opposite (in demand) and it seems that the GTS versions are less "visible" ...I had not have the chance to drive a 718, I sat in one, that's all - but, c'mon we are talking Porsche here, I "grew" up in a 4 cyl. and why should I not want to get one again ? 4.2 sec. to 100 km/h ! ... would I consider the new 718 ? YES, for me, it is a PORSCHE, and as long as I occasionally find myself on a track, a clear YES from my side (replacement subject to my car being damaged beyond chance to repair / stolen / etc...). For me it is the overall package, if I wanted to have "sound" only I would have joined the M3/M4 crowd already...

d997h - I'd agree with you - if there had not been six cylinder 981. For me the engine is the heart and soul of a sports car, the n/a engine not only sounds 1,000 times better it is also much sharper in throttle response, both base and S versions of 718 I drove had noticeable turbo lag, the last thing wanted in a sports car. Yes the 718 is faster than the outgoing cars, but even with that I'd never have one with that diabolically poor engine. I wouldn't even have a GTS version if it had 400bhp if it meant having that engine

--

Sorry, I couldn't post a short driving report yet because the sun is out over here in Bavaria and my wife doesn't want to let me drive it. Which brings me to the first impression: My wife loves the new Boxster, more than she thought. Also first thing she noticed was the power delivery, she really thought that this car has more power than her former Boxster S.

She even likes the sound, even if it isn't as good as the sound of my GTS (her words...) but she said she wouldn't care.

Hopefully, I get to drive it this evening... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Let her drive with the R8 meanwhile so she will be distracted smiley

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016) BMW 740xDrive (2016)

Conny997:

Let her drive with the R8 meanwhile so she will be distracted smiley

Smiley She is afraid of the R8... When I got the car, she wanted to drive it. Not anymore (I think I scared her... Smiley Smiley).

--

RC:

Sorry, I couldn't post a short driving report yet because the sun is out over here in Bavaria and my wife doesn't want to let me drive it. Which brings me to the first impression: My wife loves the new Boxster, more than she thought. Also first thing she noticed was the power delivery, she really thought that this car has more power than her former Boxster S.

She even likes the sound, even if it isn't as good as the sound of my GTS (her words...) but she said she wouldn't care.

That's just down to the fact that what what drivers think of as being "power" is really "torque". 

--

fritz

fritz:
    RC:

That's just down to the fact that what what drivers think of as being "power" is really "torque". 

Of course...but it feels more powerful to her and she likes it. Speaking of deceiving (unexperienced) drivers... Smiley

--

fritz:
    RC:

Which is why the 718 "power" delivery feels like a diesel - lots of low end torque. Not my idea of a sports car engine, even apart from the sound of it.

--

RC:
    fritz:
    RC:

Of course...but it feels more powerful to her and she likes it. Speaking of deceiving (unexperienced) drivers... Smiley

She is not being deceived though, as the engine will have more torque at low revs than the NA version had, which means that it also has more power at those specific revs even if the max power output might not be higher.  

This is another aspect of the discussions we see here along the lines: "How can that car with x hp possibly be faster from 0 to 200 km/h than another car of similar weight but higher power?". 

--

fritz

I don't know if someone like my wife is the typical customer for the Boxster (keep in mind that this is the non-S model) but if so, the Boxster will do well. My wife just talked to me on the phone and told me again how much she likes the Boxster. It seems that Porsche may have a different target audience in mind than we usually think they have. Those 3% I've always been told about come to my mind again. yes If the other 97% like the car, Porsche has done a good job.

--

RC:
    fritz:
    RC:

Spot on, we had a 981 S loaner as well and i had my GF drive it. She liked it, but it felt really slow (compared to our Cayenne S) to her.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

As Dreamcar (rightfully) mentioned, people are 'spoiled' by diesel and accessible (turbo) power.

DuckieRS:

As Dreamcar (rightfully) mentioned, people are 'spoiled' by diesel and accessible (turbo) power.

People in Europe maybe, true.

--

RC:

I don't know if someone like my wife is the typical customer for the Boxster (keep in mind that this is the non-S model) but if so, the Boxster will do well. My wife just talked to me on the phone and told me again how much she likes the Boxster. It seems that Porsche may have a different target audience in mind than we usually think they have. Those 3% I've always been told about come to my mind again. yes If the other 97% like the car, Porsche has done a good job.

Give back the 991 and lease a pink 718.

wantone:
    RC:

Give back the 991 and lease a pink 718.

The 991 is mine, not my wife's. She has the Macan Turbo. Smiley Smiley

--

Heard anything about chip for the Macan turbo? angel

i guess the 3% and 97% equates to people wanting a real porsche sports car vs the 97% that want a porsche.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Had a short test drive in the  718 S . I have no doubt it is a very good Porsche. I believe the biggest progress has been done in the easiness and usability thanks to the low end torque brought by the turbocharged engine. Also, Porsche traditional long gearing is much less of an issue here.  The 718 adds less drama and sense of occasion relatively to the flat six. The sound is disappointing and downgrades the overall experience (probably for 97% of the customers will not be an issue at all) . The fit and finish is no more and no less than the 981 , inside the cabin the real innovation is the new PCM. Exterior : overall a nice design but  I am not impressed specially by the rear stripe and the lettering, copied from the 914.   To sum it up, very good car but not very exciting .

OT: By the way , this is how a Porsche should sound

https://youtu.be/NvnJr82oULk

m4ever:

Oh yeah - this sounds unbelievable! This video is so breathtaking! I'm temped to go out finding one of those beautiful Porsches!

m4ever:

Had a short test drive in the  718 S . I have no doubt it is a very good Porsche. I believe the biggest progress has been done in the easiness and usability thanks to the low end torque brought by the turbocharged engine. Also, Porsche traditional long gearing is much less of an issue here.  The 718 adds less drama and sense of occasion relatively to the flat six. The sound is disappointing and downgrades the overall experience (probably for 97% of the customers will not be an issue at all) . The fit and finish is no more and no less than the 981 , inside the cabin the real innovation is the new PCM. Exterior : overall a nice design but  I am not impressed specially by the rear stripe and the lettering, copied from the 914.   To sum it up, very good car but not very exciting .

Pretty much echoes my impressions! It's a shame if it sells, less incentive for Porsche to do anything about that crappy engine 

--

I understand that Porsche evolves with emission regulations and technological advances. Regardless, I'll never own a 4 cylinder turbo of any brand. It simply can't provide the emotional impact I'm looking for. All the extra badging and claiming a connection to a race car of a previous generation may work for some, but I find it to be disingenuous. I'm going to take good care of my 981 GTS, it will be my last Porsche.

mcdelaug:

I understand that Porsche evolves with emission regulations and technological advances. Regardless, I'll never own a 4 cylinder turbo of any brand. It simply can't provide the emotional impact I'm looking for. All the extra badging and claiming a connection to a race car of a previous generation may work for some, but I find it to be disingenuous. I'm going to take good care of my 981 GTS, it will be my last Porsche.

Sadly I agree with you 100%. Smiley I'm just grateful I got a GTS when I did. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    801508 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    447858 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265609 323
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    264400 288
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89740 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

884758 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831060 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM