Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Instument dials in black on an S

If you have seen a car with this option, please tell me that the Sport Chrono clock is in black also. I saw a disturbing picture that would suggest the contrary. Thanks.

Re: Instument dials in black on an S

Quote:
    SurferDude said:
    If you have seen a car with this option, please tell me that the Sport Chrono clock is in black also. I saw a disturbing picture that would suggest the contrary. Thanks.

To my knowledge, when you get the "free" black dials option, the sport chrono is also black. Well I hope so, the contrary would be awful!

Thanks. I saw a pic of speed yellow dials and the sport chrono in aluminum. I realize it is all a matter of personal preference, but I hope the free black dials option means that all the dials are black.

Quote:
    SurferDude said:
    Thanks. I saw a pic of speed yellow dials and the sport chrono in aluminum. I realize it is all a matter of personal preference, but I hope the free black dials option means that all the dials are black.

I was thinking of ordering the black dials when I heard a rumor somewhere that said the sports chrono clock would remain silver. I didn't want to risk it because I agree different color dials from the chrono would look awful.

Guys, did you know that the sports chrono clock doesn't illuminate unless your using its function?
    It looks weird sitting on the dash at night. Even pressing the sport button doesn't even light up the clock. Very strange

I ordered this option, and the chrono dial DOES come in black. Thank God the chrono dial DOESN'T light up at night unless you're using it! Who wants to have the "Wart" pretending to be a lighthouse at night???

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    I ordered this option, and the chrono dial DOES come in black. Thank God the chrono dial DOESN'T light up at night unless you're using it! Who wants to have the "Wart" pretending to be a lighthouse at night???

Thanks for info. Very helpful.

If you order "instrument dials in black" they will (should) come in black. Why? Because the wart is an instrument!

If doesn't match demand that they replace it. Check it when car arrives, do not accept delivery of the car.

This being said, I think all the dials WILL match, no LOGICAL reason they shouldn't. Porsche has access to an endless supply of black- and aluminum-colored warts.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    If you order "instrument dials in black" they will (should) come in black. Why? Because the wart is an instrument!

If doesn't match demand that they replace it. Check it when car arrives, do not accept delivery of the car.

This being said, I think all the dials WILL match, no LOGICAL reason they shouldn't. Porsche has access to an endless supply of black- and aluminum-colored warts.

I think the reason everyone is questioning whether the sports chrono will match the other gauges is because when you order the other optional gauge colors (sand beige, terracotta, natural brown, guards red, speed yellow & carrara white) the sports chrono does not match them. Apparently Porsche only makes the wart in aluminum and black.

Phil

This is issue all over the place! The 2004 "The New 911" brochure (mkt 001024 05) shows on page 73 a black instrument cluster and a white wart.

Page 88 apparently shows a brown instrument cluster with a brown wart.

Reading all the posts above it seems that only Porsche knows for sure how they've exercised their reserved right and have "changed specifications without notice."

Make the salesguy earn his commission and get the answer for your particular car and build date.

Look in my gallery and you will see a red 997 s with sport chrono in white and the main instruments in red.
    Also you will the under cockpit special a black 997 s wiht both instruments in black!

Thanks KF here it is.

Ron how do you know the above pic is from an S ?

It could be base carrera with sport steering wheel.

AS for the hot subject i ve done my reasearch time ago, because i am a fan of colored instuments.

One thing is for sure.

When you order colored instuments, the chrono gauge remains as it is standart for the particular car(ie. black for base, silver for S)
    This is just unacceptable though, for my personal aesthetics. Its like you added the chrono in your local service mechanic.

Now if you got the carrera S and you order black gauges, (as Le Chef confirmed-i hope you saw your car) then the chrono instrument also changes to black. So here it appears we have unity.

Noe the interesting part is:

For the base carrera you can order instruments in carrara white ,not in silver ,as are the standard instuments in carrera S. So as you can imagine- and this i have confirmed by my eyes, when you own the base model and go for white instuments you get carrara white-which is not a color the sport gauge is produced-thus you get the sport gauge still in black.

That is done partly to save the silver look gauges for the carrera S individualy.

Now if you have seen indeed a model that features color instuments with the same color gauge that might be a Porsche Exclusiv Program that will be expensive for sure, i mean everything can be done but you must show the money!

Quote:
    Dilinger said:

Can't speak for Ron, but the car pictured has a PASM switch. I believe that's only available in the S

My dealer has a 997s with Sand colored dials and the Wart still has a white/silver dial. Someone else posted pics of red instrument dials and the Wart was in white/silver.

My black dials will ALL be in black, confirmed by the dealer calling HQ.

All the brochure shots I've seen do not show mixed dials. I have US and UK brochures and the shots are identical - black with black, silver with silver.

PASM is available as an option on the standard 997.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:

It could be base carrera with sport steering wheel.

AS for the hot subject i ve done my reasearch time ago, because i am a fan of colored instuments.

One thing is for sure.

When you order colored instuments, the chrono gauge remains as it is standart for the particular car(ie. black for base, silver for S)

If you look at the sticker in the window, it says 911 Carrera S.

I have my 997S with black dials and the sport chrono package .
    All 6 dials are black indeed !
    Looks cool !

I've orderd my car with carrera white instuments and even the sport chrono dial is in white

Lowdown, thanks for the info. Mine should be here next week. Good to hear that all dials should be in black.

could the wart be more problematic and an unnecessary headache??

where's the plastic surgeon for excision procedure when needed!

I can tell you that i wanted my S Cab to have black dials but Porsche told me that the dials on the stopwatch would have been white unless i wanted to pay 1000 or more euros for an aftermarket work. I couldn't believe that. I don't understand why in USA they seem to act differently. I swear to god i had to restore the white dials on my car. This is a shame for Porsche.

i ve said this before when you buy an S and spec for black dials alla dials including sport chrono are BLACK do not worry, only the opposite is bad .When having a base model and you order carrara white instruments you get chrono in black.
    Outlaw Hawk you chrono is in white because you got the S. And (from the ingo i got) the chrono must me white/silver and not carrara white, although its your car, how can i be sure?

But why did you go for carrara white gauges when you had silver/white standard? Is it so different?
    I kind of prefer the white/silver more than the carrara white, they just are too white i think. Are they so different ?i ve seen both but not next to each other i mean.

As someone asked the PASM is optional in base model.

Le chef try to get the Porsche exclusive brochure for the 997 and the tequipment. You can find some pics there showing the difference when you opt for color instruments, and its not nice at all

I ve seen in my dealer a white 997 base model with carrara white instruments and the sport chrono was black it was awful

I'm sorry Dilinger but you are wrong.Mine is a CARRERA S and if i order black dials i get White dials on the stopwatch.

"I swear to god i had to restore the white dials on my car. "quote

Fabio what do you mean you restored, did you get the car in you hands did you ordered white dials .? please specify
    And as you see i am not wron LeChef ordered black dials and they all come in black maybe you dealer in not well informed,mine knew nothing about these issues

Ok my car is on order. I decided to keep the white dials because the stopwatch background would have been WHITE and not black. My dealer is well informed.

Try ask Le chef and carlos i think they have both ordered black dials and the sports chrono will be black.

But keep in mind that white dials have also different lighting than black, the lights comes from a dard backround its very nice. I would pay much to have them in my base carrera

Not in the US

I asked my dealer twice and he checked with Porsche. My 997S will come with black dials, including the sport chrono, at no extra charge. Option 022.

Ask your dealer to show you the price list where black dials cost extra...he's talking out of his ass...

I don't know if its too different but because my car is in carrara white I just orderd the instument in the same color
    and the sport chrono is white not silver/white and I really like it that way.
    I'm posting a clear pic today of the sport chrono.
    one more thing... I think Ill order a 997 turbo in guards red so if I orderd the instument dials in guards red will it all be red incloding the sport chrono dial???

Check the previouse page

You will see a picture of a 997S with black dials including the Wart.

Your dealer really is talking out of his ass. Show him the picture and then change dealers.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688975 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408915 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255621 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234881 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857737 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773693 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM