Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Car rolls down driveway, even after left in gear. What gives

I've been driving manual transmissions for 18 years, and have never had this happen. I parked my 997 on my driveway, left it in (third) gear but did not pull the e-brake. After coming back outside I noticed that my car had rolled down the driveway! It's not that steep of a driveway, and thank god no one was hurt.

I always assumed that leaving a car in gear was the preferred method of parking since e-brakes can disengage. Am I wrong? And why would a car left in gear roll backwards down a driveway? The car did not slip out of gear, since it was firmly in third when I went to "rescue" the car.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Re: Wow you are lucky.

That is now the second time I have heard of a person leaving a car in gear and having it roll down.
    The first time was someone in Hollywood Hills that left it in gear without using the e-brake. They came out to find the car flipped over at the bottom of the hill. Amazingly no one or car was struck by the vehicle!

You should always use both. But if given a choice you should use the e-brake. I think you have the logic in reverse on which can pop out.

I always use both. I leave it in gear and before releasing the clutch I pull the e-brake so that the car does not roll its weight onto the transmission loading it. Never had the e-brake disengage and the weather here is not cold enough to freeze the e-brake.

FYI: I have heard of 986 and 996 emergency brake levers which will disengage themselves it they get unintentionally tapped or knocked. Check yours to be sure.

Also the gearshift lever should be placed in 1st or reverse gear!

Could it be that the gear transmission ratio in 3rd is that high, that it doesn't prevent car from rolling at a certain slope? (then 1st would be better)

I always engage both, 1st gear as well as e-brake. As Carlos said, if you're not living in Finland or Alaska and park your car outside, there's no problem with engaging the e-brake.

I use chocks. Just kidding.

I agree with Trundle and Rossi, In 1st or reverse, the degree of slack is very small but 3rd gear is so long that it allows a fair amount of roll before the gear catches, maybe the amount you experienced

I've always left it in first and then cranked the e-brake just out of habit.

Everybody I know uses either 1st or reverse, but I've never found a need to do it. Emergency brake works just fine and just turn in your wheels toward the curb as a back up measure (streets chocks you might say).

Which is best gear again?

For parking, I think reverse and first would be the worst ones to use.

In low gears the engine crank is easier to rotate. That's why you push-start a car in low gear.

I can imagine an unstarted car's engine happily pumping away more easily in lower gears as it speeds downhill unattended.

Not sure though, need more brainpower of this board.

Re: Which is best gear again?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    For parking, I think reverse and first would be the worst ones to use.

In low gears the engine crank is easier to rotate. That's why you push-start a car in low gear.

I can imagine an unstarted car's engine happily pumping away more easily in lower gears as it speeds downhill unattended.

Not sure though, need more brainpower of this board.

Here is what the 997 manual has to say about this topic:

"Setting the parking brake
    f Pull the lever all the way up (arrow).
    With the ignition on, the parking brake warning
    lights in the instrument panel and on-board
    computer will come on if the lever is even
    slightly raised. A firm pull upward is required to
    properly engage the parking brake.
    If the brake is not fully set, the vehicle may roll
    without control.
    f Move the gearshift lever to reverse or first
    gear.
    f Before exiting the vehicle, make sure that the
    parking brake is fully set and the vehicle is not
    moving at all."

I have always parked in 1st with the parking brake engaged. My son has a new C6 Corvette and you must park it in reverse or the electronics won't turn off.

Phil

The car is just too heavy. I have the same thing on my audi. I called the dealer and asked him about it. There's nothing wrong with the transmission, it's just the weight of the car can't be hold by putting the car in gear.

Original poster here...the reason I put it in third is that my car, like many others' on the board, has a tough time going into first when it's cold outside. So just out of habit, I threw it into third. The difficulty going into first will be addressed at the dealer's at some point in the future...thanks for all the info, first or reverse it is!

MMD,

I think that you may have this backwards.

Having the car in the lowest gear will require the largest number of crank rotations per wheel rotation. Hence the engine braking effect of a non-running engine in a rolling car would be highest in the lowest gear.

A low gear is used to push start a car because this generates a sufficient number of crank revolutions at a speed humans can actually push a vehicle. Think of it this way...if you tried to push start a car in 6th, you'd have to run 40mph to achieve enough rpms to actually start the engine. Doing this in first or second gear means you get adequate engine revolutions at 10-15mph, a speed that most humans can actaully run.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    MMD,

Having the car in the lowest gear will require the largest number of crank rotations per wheel rotation. Hence the engine braking effect of a non-running engine in a rolling car would be highest in the lowest gear.

A low gear is used to push start a car because this generates a sufficient number of crank revolutions at a speed humans can actually push a vehicle. Think of it this way...if you tried to push start a car in 6th, you'd have to run 40mph to achieve enough rpms to actually start the engine. Doing this in first or second gear means you get adequate engine revolutions at 10-15mph, a speed that most humans can actaully run.

mcdelaug

AMEN To That !!

The compression of the motor is what keeps a car from rolling. In 3rd, the motor need to "rev" very slowly to be rolling at 5mph and the compression is not sufficient to keep a 3,200# car from rolling with such a tall gear...

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    MMD,

yeah, that's right, you guys are correct. First or reverse for parking. Thanks for correcting me.

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    MMD,

mcdelaug

I agree with your theory, but I am not sure how many folks could actually push a car at 10 - 15 MPH (Equals a 6 minute or 4 minute mile respectively.)

1st gear up, reverse down...

It is 1st or reverse for parking. If the car is parked pointing up, put it in 1st. If the car is pointing down a slope, put it in reverse. And always apply the parking brake if it is not flat. On my flat garage I do not apply the parking brake and always engage 1st gear.

Of course guys!!

Putting in a gear means putting !st gear or Reverse not 3rd, 4th , or 6th,

the point is that the 3rd gear can allow the car to move in higher speed thus giving no advantage.its like having not gear or pressing slightly the break.
    In a downhill you must engage reverse to be fully blocked,thus allowing only backwards movements.

or in straight or uphill only 1st, gear.

Try not to mess this up or you might transform you 991 to a cayman after an accident!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759500 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433687 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259722 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256855 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80572 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870636 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805624 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM