Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I don't get it. Why the Cayman?

Is this car signaling the end of the rear engine for Porsche cars?

Other than being a coupe, how does it differ from the new 987?

What role does this model play in the overall strategy of Porsche?

Very interesting and confusing at the same time.

Re: I don't get it. Why the Cayman?

Porsche has always had mid-engine cars (904, 906, 908, 910, 914, 917,...). The 911 has 12 different variations that they are selling right now. This will be the 3rd and 4th version of the 987. I for one do not like cabs, but I would seriously consider the Cayman as a second Porsche. Wait until you see it in the flesh, it is a really nice car.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Wait until you see it in the flesh, it is a really nice car.

I get to see it tomorrow!

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

Since you will sign a NDS , perhaps a friend could start some "rumors" in a few days on this board .

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

Since you will sign a NDS , perhaps a friend could start some "rumors" in a few days on this board .

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to go through it pretty thoroughly. But unlikely I'll be able to say a thing about it.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Wait until you see it in the flesh, it is a really nice car.

I just got back and I have so much to say, but I can't say it because of the NDS. Sorry. Now I know how RC feels.

SoCalAl, come on, you can disclose something; judging appearance/mojo on a scale of 1 to 10, with a 997 being a ten, and a 987 being, for argument's sake, say about a 5, where would you rate the Cayman?

Quote:
    rsgl said:
    SoCalAl, come on, you can disclose something; judging appearance/mojo on a scale of 1 to 10, with a 997 being a ten, and a 987 being, for argument's sake, say about a 5, where would you rate the Cayman?

Someday, if they organize a similar deal w/ the 997 turbo, I would like to be invited back. Out of principle, and for legal reasons, I am going to keep my word and not say anything, other than it was a pretty cool experience, seeing the cars, meeting other Porsche owners, etc.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Someday, if they organize a similar deal w/ the 997 turbo, I would like to be invited back. Out of principle, and for legal reasons, I am going to keep my word and not say anything, other than it was a pretty cool experience, seeing the cars, meeting other Porsche owners, etc.

Did you actually read the NDS? I was so excited to see the Cayman, that I just signed it and never read it.

Quote:
    FelixC said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

Did you actually read the NDS? I was so excited to see the Cayman, that I just signed it and never read it.

I read it twice because I wanted to know what I could and could not say. Funny, I never read any agreements before (including mortgages) but I actually read this.

Just curious where you were able to see the car? Also, were you able to sit in it?

Quote:
    ocnatv said:
    Just curious where you were able to see the car? Also, were you able to sit in it?

Recently Porsche held some "focus groups" across the US (don't know if they are still going on or not) where two examples of the Cayman were actually there to be looked over, commented on, etc. By some accounts pricing was also an issue brought up, but I don't think anyone really knows what Porsches' true intentions were with these get-togethers.

I suspect pricing was the primary issue that Porsche wanted resolved. The name is set in stone since it's already on their web site, press releases, etc. Porsche seems to have a corporate policy regarding no "direct to customer" rebates or incentives, and given the inherent difficulties with finding the correct marketing position with this car (covered elsewhere on rennteam), getting the pricing "just right" at introduction will be critical. IMHO, it would be unusual for all but some superficial appearance issues and finalization of the standard equipment package to not be completely resolved this close to the car's official launch.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    I suspect pricing was the primary issue that Porsche wanted resolved. The name is set in stone since it's already on their web site, press releases, etc. Porsche seems to have a corporate policy regarding no "direct to customer" rebates or incentives, and given the inherent difficulties with finding the correct marketing position with this car (covered elsewhere on rennteam), getting the pricing "just right" at introduction will be critical. IMHO, it would be unusual for all but some superficial appearance issues and finalization of the standard equipment package to not be completely resolved this close to the car's official launch.

mcdelaug

Would have been logical for price to be the main issue, but from some of the debriefings I have heard, Porsche probably didn't like the response.

LOL... what do they expect? DO they think people are going to say: "yeah, lets overprize it!"? I mean... well, I can't really imagine how thes debates are held.
    -Joost-

Why don't you or didn't you sign in under a new name.
    and just tell us what you saw?
    They would never know.

The focus group is bogus anyways. They could only really talk about price. What are they going to do?...redo the car just b/c the focus group doesnt like it?

And we've already seen the way the car looks in the spypics.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Why don't you or didn't you sign in under a new name.
    and just tell us what you saw?
    They would never know.

Not that easy. First, there is an IP address coming with each post. Of course only the Admin(s) and the Moderators can see it but as I and some of the moderators are "suspected" of working for Porsche, this really wouldn't be a good idea.
    And another thing: people joining certain "events" where the Cayman is showed have to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Porsche could maybe find out WHO posted certain things by reviewing the participants in each event and what happened there. I know this sounds like BS but it has happened before. So if somebody really wants to stay "clean" without having to worry, I suggest the following: signing up for a free mail service and sending us a mail with details but not mentioning the color of the car(s), the location or the date.

But I want to assure everybody that we DO NOT work for Porsche and all "spy" information is kept confidential.
    On the other hand, we would NOT post real secret information like pictures of the upcoming Panamera, etc.
    We want to deliver first hand information but we don't want to hurt Porsche or even damage them financially.
    Their competitors love to read such forums to get information about future products, we already have dozends of registrations from official car manufacturer servers.

Re: I don't get it. Why the Cayman? *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by ozr

RC said:

Not that easy. First, there is an IP address coming with each post. Of course only the Admin(s) and the Moderators can see it but as I and some of the moderators are "suspected" of working for Porsche, this really wouldn't be a good idea...

...offtopic...

...IP, year...but, if IP is constantly changing=dynamic, assigned randomly by Internet Service Provider DNS Server...

...also, IP Admin(s) may see is NOT necessarily is an IP of a "poster user" physical computer, but an external router/gateway/firewall device/computer hiding may be NOT just one computer but 100-1000 computer nodes Local Area Network...

...also one computer could be shared by MORE than one user...

...SO one may NEVER be able to LEGALLY prove/link "a poster" IP with a registered "poster" physical location and may NEVER uniqly with 100% precision identify "a poster" and prove that legally...

"Posters" and Admins should just exercise PROFESSIONAL constructive bahaviour... together we WILL move PROGRESS forward INTELLIGENTLY!

ozr, you're right. Some IP addresses are changing dynamically (mine doesn't BTW ). BUT (just an example): if Porsche feels that they need to sue somebody, they can easily find out WHO made a certain post by demanding the IP address from us and getting the real name and address of the poster from the provider! Unless the poster didn't use an anonymous web service, he's busted. And even anonymous web services are keeping the REAL IP for criminal investigations, just a friendly hint. Nobody is anonymous on the internet, NOBODY. There are lots of ways how to find out, legal and illegal ones.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691198 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410270 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256291 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65765 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858905 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775238 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM