Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Anyone using Porsche integrated GSM phone???

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I just got a SIM card for a Cingular GSM phone. I stuck the card in the drawer with the gold contacts up and the angled corner to the right. PCM just gives me a "checking card" message without connecting me to the Cingular network. The "set" button also will not give me any menus in the "telephone" display. Any thoughts???

Re: Anyone using Porsche integrated GSM phone???

Please don't be insulted, but do you have all of the phone hardware installed and activated by the dealer?

Mine works just fine, it asks me to enter the pin and connects just fine. Is your GSM card activated? does it ask you for your cards pin?

Quote:
    19th hole said:
    Please don't be insulted, but do you have all of the phone hardware installed and activated by the dealer?

No worries. I have the "666" option which is an integrated telephone module. It turns on and initializes fine and then asks for the SIM card. I wasn't aware that the dealer needed to add any additional hardware, but I'll check on Monday.

Al

Quote:
    muhri said:
    Mine works just fine, it asks me to enter the pin and connects just fine. Is your GSM card activated? does it ask you for your cards pin?

It never even asks me for a PIN. Just "checking card." Cingular apparently does not need a PIN???

Hve you got a new sim card?
    In my 997S i have a new sim card and in my Cayenne S I have an "old" (5years) sim card . sometimes the cayenne's sim doesn't work . ( i need to reset the phone)
    In pcm telephone modude you must use a new generation sim ,more "powerful" ....

ciao!

Quote:
    sergini said:
    Hve you got a new sim card?
    In my 997S i have a new sim card and in my Cayenne S I have an "old" (5years) sim card . sometimes the cayenne's sim doesn't work . ( i need to reset the phone)

In pcm telephone modude you must use a new generation sim ,more "powerful" ....

ciao!

Yup, got the SIM today!

Okay...this is goofy. PCM tells me that it is "checking card" But, I can dial 911 through the phone. Is it because it's looking for a PIN on the SIM card?

Alin2, does your sim card require a pin? its an option that you can set through your phone. Try your sim card in a regular GSM phone, if it does not have a pin, set one.. might help!

Quote:
    muhri said:
    Alin2, does your sim card require a pin? its an option that you can set through your phone. Try your sim card in a regular GSM phone, if it does not have a pin, set one.. might help!

My Cingular phone does not require a PIN I guess. I thought PIN numbers were assigned by the network? They are user defineable?

Yes, you can configure your SIM card to require a pin code through your GSM phone, try it.

Check you new sim card in another phone and see if it works or not. If it does, take your car to the dealer and have him check as to why your sim doesn't work. It should'nt take too long to log-on to your network.

You can dial 911 even without SIM card because this is a feature of the GSM phones worldwide. To allow emergency calls only, almost ALL GSM phones are able to dial a specific emergency number which is usually 112 internationally. In the US it seems to be 911, something which could prove to be a problem if you travel outside the US and your SIM card seizes to function properly.
    The golden surface of the SIM card has to show UP but I'm not sure, I have to check it on my car in the garage but I'm with the kids now and can't go there.
    Some SIM cards also require activation from the phone company, this is an additional safety feature to avoid somebody steeling the SIM card sent by mail and using it.

Call your phone company or just check with your dealer.

The PCM GSM phone in the 997 works great and so does the hands free function. You don't need the optional bulky handpiece, unless your wife/girl friend wants to use the phone too (she can use it anyway, even with the hands free function).

Quote:
    muhri said:
    Yes, you can configure your SIM card to require a pin code through your GSM phone, try it.

Thanks. Although I tried to last night, but I couldn't finish it because I don't have the original PIN code if there is one since the phone won't let me program a PIN code until I enter the "old" one...and I didn't get one...a true "catch-22."

Quote:
    03-turbo911 said:
    Check you new sim card in another phone and see if it works or not. If it does, take your car to the dealer and have him check as to why your sim doesn't work. It should'nt take too long to log-on to your network.

The SIM card works fine in the Cingular phone...

Quote:
    RC said:
    You can dial 911 even without SIM card because this is a feature of the GSM phones worldwide. To allow emergency calls only, almost ALL GSM phones are able to dial a specific emergency number which is usually 112 internationally. In the US it seems to be 911, something which could prove to be a problem if you travel outside the US and your SIM card seizes to function properly.
    The golden surface of the SIM card has to show UP but I'm not sure, I have to check it on my car in the garage but I'm with the kids now and can't go there.
    Some SIM cards also require activation from the phone company, this is an additional safety feature to avoid somebody steeling the SIM card sent by mail and using it.

Call your phone company or just check with your dealer.

The PCM GSM phone in the 997 works great and so does the hands free function. You don't need the optional bulky handpiece, unless your wife/girl friend wants to use the phone too (she can use it anyway, even with the hands free function).

Thanks RC. I am soooo looking forward to handsfree as I get called by the hospital and residents/fellows all the time...Although this solution isn't nearly as nice as the Acura/Lexus/BMW/Mercedes/Ford/GM Bluetooth solution...as has been beaten into the ground a million times already...Gosh, I hope I can get this stupid SIM to work...

I am using my GSM sim card here in egypt in the pcm without any problems. Only downside is that phonebook does not store all the phone numbers that are on my sim card. capacity is too low.

Okay an update...
    1. My SIM card works fine in my Cingular phone and 2 other Cingular phones.

2. I programmed a PIN for my SIM card. When I install the SIM card the Cingular phones ask for the PIN and then it connects to the network in about 5 seconds.

3. An AT&T Wireless phone (although owned by Cingular!) will accept the SIM, ask for the PIN, but then displaies "wrong card" as the AT&T Wireless network is still not the same as the Cingular network.

4. My Porsche phone module still displays "checking card" and won't even ask for a PIN.

Therefore, it's not the SIM card, it's the Porsche phone module. Back to the dealer!!!

Okay...another update in the ongoing GSM phone module saga.

1. I tried an AT&T Wireless SIM card. Lo, and behold, it worked! Logged on the network right away. Nevermind that AT&T and Cingular are the same company now.

2. I tried an older 32K Cingular SIM card. Lo, and behold, it worked! Interestingly, it logged on and displayed "AT&T Wireless," not Cingular.

Therefore, the GSM phone module works. However, it does not seem to work with the new 64K Cingular SIM card as my brand spanking new 64K Cingular SIM card will NOT work. I haven't tried T-mobile, but I have a feeling if they have migrated to 64K cards, that it might not work.

So it appears that the GSM phone module will accept older technology and is unable to read the newer 64K card. BTW, this is not a problem isolated to Porsche. Apparently according to the Cingular salesperson I spoke with, there is a run on 32K cards that Cingular wants to phase out because the 64K card will not work with the new Treo.

Anyways...a brief review of the GSM phone module...
    1. The automute of the stereo and the voice quality of the other party is very good.
    2. The voice quality transmitted through the microphone (I think in the steering wheel) is very good.
    3. The multifunction steering wheel does make the function of the phone much more convenient.
    4. The phone is full featured and includes text messaging.
    5. Handsfree operation is SOOO convenient...

I'm returning to the Cingular store tomorrow and getting a new 32K SIM card...Hopefully Cingular won't be completely phasing these out...

Awesome news Alin2. My Treo 650 arrives next week! Thanx!

oh, stop rubbing it in!!! You get to use the GSM technology and across the pond we're doomed!

Quote:
    GG said:
    oh, stop rubbing it in!!! You get to use the GSM technology and across the pond we're doomed!

?? I'm in Chicago...

CHICAGO!! WHY CAN'T I GET THE FREAKING GSM PHONE FACEPLATE OR WHATEVER INSTALLED?!?!? This is the one thing i truly HATE about porsche. A sept build $90k car and no freaking phone. I'LL never purchase another first model year porsche! CRAP!!!! DOUBLE CRAP

NEVER....NEVER....NEVER...NEVER...

Now, i hope i got that out of my system. Gosh, i feel like such a sucker!....$90k and no phone.

Quote:
    GG said:
    CHICAGO!! WHY CAN'T I GET THE FREAKING GSM PHONE FACEPLATE OR WHATEVER INSTALLED?!?!? This is the one thing i truly HATE about porsche. A sept build $90k car and no freaking phone. I'LL never purchase another first model year porsche! CRAP!!!! DOUBLE CRAP

NEVER....NEVER....NEVER...NEVER...

Now, i hope i got that out of my system. Gosh, i feel like such a sucker!....$90k and no phone.

Sorry...When I finalized my order in October 2004, the GSM phone module just became available.

In reality, it's a nice feature, but hardly a neccesity (although it's easy for me to say that...sorry). Perhaps, a nice drive in the twisties will help assuage your pain?

A nice drive in the twisties? I had a 4 hour drive yesterday and that made me realize just how much i need to install a heads free phone. Fumbling with the phone to plug in the ear piece....battery running low so again fumbling with the phone to plug in the car charger....phone ringing and trying to find the phone under my coat on the passenger seat.

I should have never trusted the dealer. I almost cancelled the order when the phone module didn't show up on the finalized order. He promised it would be available soon and as a retrofit.

What a sucker!

I planned on retro fitting option 666, but now I'm having second thoughts after getting my GSM Treo 650 a couple of days ago. I tried the speakerphone feature yesterday. I was concerned that that feature would not be adequate because of engine, wind, and tire noise. I was wrong. The Treo 650 speakersphone feature works perfectly! My wife could not even tell if I was on a speakerphone! Now I just need to safely mount the phone in the vehicle so I can keep both hands on the steering wheel.

GSM phone -- UPDATE

I received the following email from my dealer. Apparently he received a communication from PCNA:

We are unable to sell the cradle system at this time due to
    a legal issue involving our supplier. It is not clear at this time when or if this will be resolved.

We do not currently offer a retrofit of the faceplate with
    the GSM slot. We are investigating this and if demand warrants we will develop something.

Re: GSM phone -- UPDATE

Why not get a nice new Bluetooth phone such as a Motorola Razr 3 (if yours is a GSM carrier) and a sexy cordless Bluetooth ear-piece. It will cost you a whole lot less than the $960 Porsche phone option and you can take it with you when you leave your car. It just won't mute your audio for you.

PS: According this week's Autoweek, already 17 automakers have implemented Bluetooth. Porsche is notable among mainstream luxury automakers for not being one of them.

Quote:
    pnoble said:
    Why not get a nice new Bluetooth phone such as a Motorola Razr 3 (if yours is a GSM carrier) and a sexy cordless Bluetooth ear-piece. It will cost you a whole lot less than the $960 Porsche phone option and you can take it with you when you leave your car. It just won't mute your audio for you.

PS: According this week's Autoweek, already 17 automakers have implemented Bluetooth. Porsche is notable among mainstream luxury automakers for not being one of them.

Right now, there are again a lot of discussions going on over here in Germany and Europe regarding Bluetooth safety, especially on phones. Maybe this is one reason why Porsche waits.
    The V3 Razr? I own it, it is a great phone and it has a very nice handsfree speaker phone option (even without using bluetooth). BUT: the phone uses class 1 Bluetooth with a max. distance capability of 100(!) meters. With sensitive and specialized equipment, the phone's bluetooth signal can be picked up from a distance of over 1 km(!) and more. As long as the Bluetooth safety issues are 100% solved, I wouldn't put my money on Bluetooth.
    It is just a matter of time before it will be possible to inject bluetooth enabled phones with viruses and trojans, depending on the operation system. There have been already cases of a harmless demo trojan but more vicious versions have already appeared.
    Yes, I'm using bluetooth myself with a wireless headset but I have to confess that I always have a bad feeling doing that.

Maybe Bluetooth users are the same people who are using Wlan systems with WEP encryption or even without any security measure. I need a couple of minutes to "penetrate" any WEP security setting and get the key but people still think it is safe. Of course I'm using Wlan right now for this posting but I have WPA activated.

I must admit i'm really disappointed in Porsche. I do plan to get the bluetooth but for $90k i should have an integrated option. I've learned my lesson though. I will NEVER purchase another car from porsche in its first model year AND i have advised all of my friends who are considering porsche the same thing......

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776160 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441120 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262458 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260640 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84998 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880141 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815176 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM