Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Picked up my 997s

I have now picked up my new car and I'm happy to report that the car is everything I hoped for plus much more, it's an absolutely incredible car.
    Everyone waiting for delivery is in for a real treat.

There are no creaks or 'gremlins' as posted else where. In fact the quality of the interior, paintwork, mechanicals and switch gear is superb.

I'm especially impressed by the quality of the gear box and change, which feels bullet proof.

I'm running the car in at the moment so can't fully appreciate the whole rev range; my first impressions are that the performance is a big step up from my previous E46 M3 and that's in all areas. The grip in damp conditions is unbelievable (pre traction involvement)
    I'm trying to get my head around the PCM at the moment and all the different settings, is it me or are there as many possible settings as a Charter Jet?
    Regarding the phone system, I'm having some difficulty trying to load my address book from my sim card into the cars telephone address book, maybe I need to go over the manual some more. Anyone else having difficulties?

For my UK buddies, the 'i-mob tracker' is the way to go; you should consider there advanced technology when choosing a tracker. (I finally went with Peart insurance Pounds1060 for a London address) they recognise the system.
    There were 3 other 997's being picked up at Hatfield (midnight on Monday) are any of you on this forum, I was just wondering?

The weather here in the UK is not too good at the moment, so sorry no pics yet, but something will be posted this week at the latest. (Even if the cars covered in rain or snow).
    Thanks RC, for all the forum support and for also posting your first test articles, pictures of your car helped me in choosing my colour choice of Basalt.

I've certainly made the right choice in this car. My spec:

Basalt Black
    Leather interior in Black
    Wheel centre set
    Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
    ParkAssist
    Rear wiper
    Windscreen with grey top tint
    Sport Chrono Package Plus
    Sport seats
    Heated seats
    Floor mats with leather edging
    Three spoke muli-function steering wheel
    Porsche crest embossed on head restraints
    6 disk auto-changer
    Bose surround system
    Navigation Module for PCM
    Telephone module
    19" Carrera classic wheels
    Homelink
    Cruise control

Re: Picked up my 997s

Hi Yeah i was at Hatfiled picking up my silver 997s too, i think i may have spoken to you? were you parked behind me? The drive home in the snow was fun. i put 190 miles on the clock yesterday and am still grinning now. the whether is total crap but its relatively easy to drive in bad wheter.

Quote:
    DirtyHarry said:
    Hi Yeah i was at Hatfiled picking up my silver 997s too, i think i may have spoken to you? were you parked behind me? The drive home in the snow was fun. i put 190 miles on the clock yesterday and am still grinning now. the whether is total crap but its relatively easy to drive in bad wheter.

Hi, great car you have.
    Wasn't that a weird experience on Monday a bit like the film 'Gone in 60 seconds' and how unlucky have we been with the weather.
    I'm over the moon with the car and I agree it's relatively easy to drive in the weather were having.
    I've only done 65 miles but will be traveling north on Friday so should do a few hundred miles.
    Are you running-in the car?

Congratssss!!!!!!.

Black and black is becoming very very common on 997S's!!!

Thanks
    I know I'm just a common sort of guy .
    But seriously it must be because they work so well and especially with all the standard switches and stuff inside

Congrats Med Thats a very high spec car you have ,must have cost over Pounds74k,looking forward to the pics in the snow

Congrats med

Basalt black, black interior leather, Carrera classics... great combo! couldn't have chosen better myself... oh wait that is what I chose!

Pics please, it will make my waiting easier

Thanks Robbo,
    Living on bread and water from now on but I recon its worth it. Pics will be posted very soon mate

Thanks Carlos,
    Also, big thanks for all the hard work you put into this forum.
    Great colour combo even in the rain, pics very soon, hopefully tomorrow

Quote:
    med said:
    Hi, great car you have.
    Wasn't that a weird experience on Monday a bit like the film 'Gone in 60 seconds' and how unlucky have we been with the weather.
    I'm over the moon with the car and I agree it's relatively easy to drive in the weather were having.
    I've only done 65 miles but will be traveling north on Friday so should do a few hundred miles.

Year it was a bit of a surreal experience on Monday night, the missus said we all looked like little kids at Christmas when we were given the keys. Your car looks great by the way, the classic wheels look really good with black, and as for the rear wiper...well what can I say, they must have seen us coming.

I've kind of been running the car in, when I went on the Porsche test drive plus a couple of weeks ago the driving consultant (as he liked to call himself) said that you should take it a little easier but drive it pretty much how you intend to throughout its life, using the full rev range (when fully warmed up) and therefore exposing the engine, gearbox to a full range of operating temps early on. He said hed seen instances of people being too soft on their cars early on, only to suffer problems like excess oil consumption further down the line. I've done about 240 miles now with only 4 cold starts. I've been waiting until the coolant and engine oil are up to operating temp before taking the revs above 3k, but after that I've been generally going up to around 5k and have been to 6-6.5k a few times, the sound is just so addictive.

What kind of run in are you planning?

Congrats Med!
    Sounds good! Looking forward to see some pics!

Quote:
    med said:
    Regarding the phone system, I'm having some difficulty trying to load my address book from my sim card into the cars telephone address book, maybe I need to go over the manual some more. Anyone else having difficulties?

You may already know this but most relatively new mobile phones dont store the numbers on the SIM, they are actually stored in the phone itself, unless you manually transferred the numbers from the phone to the SIM card you wont be able to transfer them.

Congrats Med and DirtyHarry. Look forward to seeing the photos and well done for waiting for the 05 reg!

Re the phone, it's true, you need to select the transfer to SIM option on your phone. Have to say that in the last two months I've hardly used the phone on the car because it's such a pain taking it out of my phone and into the car all the time. I've actually just been using the phone and of course risking a fine...

Congratulations! Basalt black is beautiful. My Cayenne TT was that color...I regret everyday the loss of that truck...

Quote:
    Ed J said:
    Congrats Med and DirtyHarry. Look forward to seeing the photos and well done for waiting for the 05 reg!

Re the phone, it's true, you need to select the transfer to SIM option on your phone. Have to say that in the last two months I've hardly used the phone on the car because it's such a pain taking it out of my phone and into the car all the time. I've actually just been using the phone and of course risking a fine...

It's a pain in the a*s isnt it, i've opted for a pay as you go sim in the car at the minute as a temporary measure. Did you know that Vodafone now offer a multi SIM package in the UK? you basically have 2 SIM's with the same phone number, it costs about a fiver a month. All you have to do is type a code into the device that you want to receive incoming calls. I'm going to get it when my contract with Orange runs out.

Hi guys,

Congrats on your cars. I also finally collected my car on Tuesday. The spec is:

997 Carrera
    Artic Silver
    Full Black leather
    Tiptronic S
    Heated seats
    Coloured wheel centres
    Cruise control
    Top tint screen
    Rear park assist
    Electric sunroof
    PCM telephone
    PCM navigation
    Bose
    6 disc CD changer
    Self-dimming mirrors
    Electric front seats
    Xenons
    Rear wiper

Unfortunately my collection did not go smoothly and took over 2 and a half hours but that is behind me now. The car was a Porsche GB spec'ed allocation car which I bought off the showroom floor but it has pretty much everything I would have ordered. I had read some bad things about the tiptronic but I love it. The car is fantastic to drive and just feels like it is waiting to be unleashed all the time.

Thanks for the running in info. My salesman neglected to give me any advice on this and after the problems at collection I was just eager to be on my way. I am going up to Edinburgh next weekend for the Scotland - Wales rugby match and think I will be driving now instead of flying

Congrats to you all. Flash your lights if you should pass me in London town.. I've hit 3.5k since October and I swear, every drive just gets better..

Ok, now THAT is an AMAZING car!
    Basalt, superb choice!
    Love the rims, love the color, love the car!!!
    Great pic!!!

Congrats
    Wow what a good looking car; like the rims very nice picture too very nice lighting and angle of this picture make this car shine like a diamond .

Cheers matey.

one word, PHAT!!!!

Quote:
    DirtyHarry said:
    Quote:
    med said:
    Hi, great car you have.

Year it was a bit of a surreal experience on Monday night, the missus said we all looked like little kids at Christmas when we were given the keys. Your car looks great by the way, the classic wheels look really good with black, and as for the rear wiper...well what can I say, they must have seen us coming.

I've kind of been running the car in, when I went on the Porsche test drive plus a couple of weeks ago the driving consultant (as he liked to call himself) said that you should take it a little easier but drive it pretty much how you intend to throughout its life, using the full rev range (when fully warmed up) and therefore exposing the engine, gearbox to a full range of operating temps early on. He said hed seen instances of people being too soft on their cars early on, only to suffer problems like excess oil consumption further down the line. I've done about 240 miles now with only 4 cold starts. I've been waiting until the coolant and engine oil are up to operating temp before taking the revs above 3k, but after that I've been generally going up to around 5k and have been to 6-6.5k a few times, the sound is just so addictive.

What kind of run in are you planning?

The missus was right, we were a bunch of kids , but I have to admit the firing up of 4 new 997's all in tandem in a workshop at midnight was a sound and sight I will never forget.

I'm becoming more and more confused with the running in plan, everyone has there own idea. For instance, Lee (the chap that met us on Monday) told me to keep the car under 4,000 revs until about 1200 - 1500 miles. He also said cars that do not get run in tend to have more oil leaks? I'm intending to keep the car to Lee's recommendation. Let's face it, its not going to take to long to cover 1200 miles (your almost there ). I think what your doing should be fine but take it easy, remember, it's not just the engine. Brakes, suspension...etc

Thanks for the compliment, I love the classic wheels and I love the rear wiper, it's great, I haven't stopped using it since pick up . (Shame about the lack of screen wash though).

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Congrats Med!
    Sounds good! Looking forward to see some pics!

Thanks Fanch, pics should be tomorrow

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Hi guys,

Congrats on your cars. I also finally collected my car on Tuesday. The spec is:

997 Carrera
    Artic Silver
    Full Black leather
    Tiptronic S
    Heated seats
    Coloured wheel centres
    Cruise control
    Top tint screen
    Rear park assist
    Electric sunroof
    PCM telephone
    PCM navigation
    Bose
    6 disc CD changer
    Self-dimming mirrors
    Electric front seats
    Xenons
    Rear wiper

Unfortunately my collection did not go smoothly and took over 2 and a half hours but that is behind me now. The car was a Porsche GB spec'ed allocation car which I bought off the showroom floor but it has pretty much everything I would have ordered. I had read some bad things about the tiptronic but I love it. The car is fantastic to drive and just feels like it is waiting to be unleashed all the time.

Thanks for the running in info. My salesman neglected to give me any advice on this and after the problems at collection I was just eager to be on my way. I am going up to Edinburgh next weekend for the Scotland - Wales rugby match and think I will be driving now instead of flying

Congratulations ISUK,
    Great car, great spec and should be a very interesting game of Rugby...

Quote:
    DirtyHarry said:
    Quote:
    med said:

You may already know this but most relatively new mobile phones dont store the numbers on the SIM, they are actually stored in the phone itself, unless you manually transferred the numbers from the phone to the SIM card you wont be able to transfer them.

Cheers, I'll try that out tomorrow

Quote:
    alin2 said:
    Congratulations! Basalt black is beautiful. My Cayenne TT was that color...I regret everyday the loss of that truck...

Thanks, stop the tears, you don't need to wash silver every other day...

Quote:
    DirtyHarry said:
    Quote:
    Ed J said:

It's a pain in the a*s isnt it, i've opted for a pay as you go sim in the car at the minute as a temporary measure. Did you know that Vodafone now offer a multi SIM package in the UK? you basically have 2 SIM's with the same phone number, it costs about a fiver a month. All you have to do is type a code into the device that you want to receive incoming calls. I'm going to get it when my contract with Orange runs out.

Check with Orange first, they are bringing out there own dual sim card. O2 are also doing the same, I spoke to O2 on Monday and was told that it's a matter of weeks before they introduce the cards, apparently what's holding everything up is local software.

Thanks basalt,
    Great looking car mate....If I see you I'll defiantly flash the lights

Med, DH

Congrats on your cars - I think I saw both of yours last weekend when I popped into Porsche Hatfield..... they did look good.

Instead of getting my 997S on the 1st March, my dealer has loaned me a Jag X Type Sport until my 997 arrives - better than nothing I guess.

Looking forward to the pics.

Rgd
    Prashan

I am with Vodafone at the moment but am a bit fed up that I have to pay Pounds7 a month for an extra sim card. What's more, I lose the GPRS functionality on my phone - not a massive deal I guess - but I've got used to looking up things like news headlines, sport and weather stuff on my Sony Ericsson and I just don't understand why this functionality should be turned off if I have an extra sim.

By the way, did I read correctly above that the rear wiper hasn't got wash/wipe??? Surely not?!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689621 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409265 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255766 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235004 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65527 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858022 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774074 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM