Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

WHERE ARE ALL THE NEW BOXSTERS?????

A whole bunch of you "I'll wait till March 1st"-sissies have already had your cars delivered...but I dont see a swarm of pictures and drive reports???
    Are you busy peeing your pants or showing the car to your mom?

You're supposed to prioritize your brothers at Rennteam - not anything else!
    Remember, now that you have a Boxster, you dont have any real friends anymore... except for like-minded geeks like us, so get cracking and start shooting pics!!!

Brother Phil.

Re: WHERE ARE ALL THE NEW BOXSTERS?????

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    A whole bunch of you "I'll wait till March 1st"-sissies have already had your cars delivered...but I dont see a swarm of pictures and drive reports???

Remember, now that you have a Boxster, you dont have any real friends anymore... except for like-minded geeks like us, so get cracking and start shooting pics!!!

Brother Phil.

Wait for mine tomorrow If it's sunny they might be topless piccies, as well (of the car, not my wife).

Dreamcar, Haven't you got a lot of snow down your way just now ?
    Good luck tomorrow.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

Brother Phil.

I agree Dr.Phil

Unlike the 1st March boys, my car isn't going to be completed until the 22nd of this month. So expect some pics and impressions once it arrives in the UK at the start of April.

Quote:
    boothy said:
    Dreamcar, Haven't you got a lot of snow down your way just now ?
    Good luck tomorrow.

Many thanks. No snow (this is the Hampshire Riviera, after all). Cold but sunny tomorrow, so I am hopeful on the scenic route home, to find somewhere to take some piccies.
    Off out tomorrow evening, so may just be piccies. Report and impressions later. Here's another snap to keep you impatient lot at bay until then.

Where can I upload/host pic's for free? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Fat Sound

Nevermind....here's a pic....

Baby's first bath...

Re: Where can I upload/host pic's for free?

You can upload pictures right here on Rennteam. Go to the 987 gallery

Edit: I see you've worked it out.

Here's another....

Boy....I love this car. Coming from a Z4 it has been quite an eye opening experience!

Re: Where can I upload/host pic's for free?

Very nice car Fat Sound. What colour interior have you gone for? Are those amber side reflectors a US legal requirement? The euro-spec clear ones look much better on arctic silver cars.

Thanks.....

Yes...amber is US required, but I have already ordered the clears. I agree with you 100% that they will look MUCH better on Arctic Silver.
    Interior is black. This is not a very good pic due to the angle and lighting but it's the only one I currently have on my hardrive. I need to take some top down pic's this weekend!!

Re: Nevermind....here's a pic....

Quote:
    Fat Sound said:
    Baby's first bath...

Aawwww...isn't she adorable! Look at the itzy-bitzy-fitzy-mitzi headlights.
    What are you? Are you daddy's little Boxey-woxey-moxey? Ooooh, I think you are...gobogobogobo...agyyh. Can you say "wroom" for daddy? Can you say "wroooom" for daddy?

Re: Here's another....

Quote:
    Fat Sound said:
    Boy....I love this car. Coming from a Z4 it has been quite an eye opening experience!

Looking absolutely great! Hope you'll have many great hours in that car.
    Are those rims standard? Thought the new Carrera S rims were standard on the S?
    What kinda weather is that? Looks sunny?? Youre supposed to have an icey winter like us! Not fair!

I haven't taken any pictures of my car as it is so filthy. I jet washed it today, went for a 100 run and it's brown (originally Basalt)

I think all UK March 1st-ers are too embarassed to take piccies as thir crs are so dirty.

I can't wait to take mine to 7K revs....upto 5500 (oops) today and it was howling.....BOSE was a waste (well not really) I keep turning it off!!

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

Are those rims standard? Thought the new Carrera S rims were standard on the S?
    What kinda weather is that? Looks sunny?? Youre supposed to have an icey winter like us! Not fair!

Thanks Doc.....
    And yes, my wife has caught me talking exactly like that to my car....several times actually!
    The 18's as pictured are the standard. The 19" Carrera rims are a $1850.00 option. I prefer the look of the car with the 19's, but without PASM, the ride suffers too much so it was the less beautiful 18's for me.

19s don't ruin the ride....that's an excuse from anyone who didn't spec them but wished they did!!

Quote:
    newboxster said:
    19s don't ruin the ride....that's an excuse from anyone who didn't spec them but wished they did!!

Oh....kay.......

you clearly have no idea......of course 19''s ruin the ride. Its called physics.

D'oh

Quote:
    Fat Sound said:

So tell us about the comparison.

Also, very funny stuff Dr. Phil!

Quote:
    JZ said:
    you clearly have no idea......of course 19''s ruin the ride. Its called physics.

D'oh

Ease up on the tone there, will ya?
    Actually a lot of 987 owners claim they cannot feel the diff between 18" and 19" because of PASM. I have no doubt there is some diff with a normal suspension, or suspension in sport mode.
    So like you say, it IS a matter of physics, the physics of PASM

So tell us about the comparison.

There is no short answer to your question, but I'll try and hit the highlights,

I owned a Z4 3.0 w. sport package (18" wheels / sport mode for throttle and steering).
    Like all of the new BMW exterior designs you have to get this car in the right color for it to look good and still it will be polarizing.
    I love the looks of the Z4 and the way the light plays against the dramatic lines, but only in a couple of the offered colors.
    Mine was sterling grey / tan / tan

Side by side I like the looks of the two cars about equally. I like both car's interiors. The Z4 is very modern looking, but the new Boxster has the Audi-like quality to everything you see and or touch. I especially like the way the black interior of my Boxster is highlited by all the chrome and/or chrome look bits. Very upscale. My only complaint would be the center console. Buttons too small, too numerous and plastic looks a bit cheap.
    Unless you spec' the sport seats in the Z4, even the base model seats in the Boxster, which are what I have, are far superior for sport driving.
    I prefer the steering wheel in the Z4 to the standard wheel in the Boxster, but the sport wheel option in the Boxster evens things out here.
    Driving position can be dialed in beautifully in either car, but the closer pedal grouping of the Boxster makes heel-toe shifting a bit easier.

Performance:

The Z4 can be a blast to drive, but can also be a drag depending on what you are using it for.

Throttle response (in the Z4) is amazing in sport mode and the car feels very smooth and quick to red line in all lower gears and makes wonderful noises getting to redline. Clutch engagement is a bit tricky though and requires precise feathering to get the shifts down smoothly. Even once I had the clutch delay valve removed (dreadful little device) it took a while to drive the Z4 without the occasional rough gear shift. The Boxster's throttle response is a bit slower (I don't have PASM or Sport mode in mine), but the shifting and clutch engagement is simply fantastic. It is nearly impossible to get a *bad* shift. In this area the Boxster wins hands down.
    Steering feel is also vastly superior in the Boxster. BMW's Electric, speed sensitive steering needs some work. Perhaps it's just a matter of re-writing the code, but whatever it is the Z4 has a slightly vague and artificial feel to it's helm. By comparison the Boxster's steering feel is brilliant. Absolutely perfect!

The Z4 does steer very quickly and certainly goes where it's aimed... Right Now... though so it still is a blast to squirt around corners and curves even though the fun is hampered a bit my the overall feel of the mech.

BMW's DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) is much more invasive. When it kicks in you REALLY feel it. Porsche's PSM is much more subtle and progressive and definitely gives you a longer leash.

Ride quality is so much more mature and dialed in on the Porsche that this may be the area of biggest difference b/w the two cars. With the 18" rims and sport pack, the BMW jiggles and bobbles over rough pavement and makes you feel like a kid in a slammed Honda. Not a problem on smooth pavement, but on areas with pot holes, cracks, expansion joints, frost heave etc...the BMW does lose its composure rather quickly. This bothered me the most when I used the Z4 to commute 35 miles to work over rough I-40 segments. If I left work with a headache I was sure to arrive at home with a migraine!
    The Porsche soaks this stuff up like an E39 5 series! Perhaps it was necessary to make the Z4's suspension this "sporty" in order to get such high skid pad numbers from a front engine car in which you practically sit on top of the rear axle....?
    I have the 18" rims on my 987 S though and having test driven a non-PASM car with 19's I feel that the 18" rims are The way to go on the 987 unless you ar ealso plumping for PASM. The 19's look wonderful....much better than the 18's, but I felt they spoiled the ride and therefore made the car more nervous....more like the Z4 on 18's. I wish Porsche had given new Boxster owners the look of the 19's in an 18" size.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure most won't even get this far so I'll stop here. I'll just say that overall both cars are fun to drive and, in my opinion, both look great. But again, one of the marks of a truly great body style is when the car looks great in any color. I have yet to see the 986 or 987 look less than stellar in any color. The Z4 looks it's best in 2 or 3 of the offered colors and, in my opinion, actually looks really bad in a couple of colors.

One very important thing to keep in mind though. Due to the Porsche's clearly superior chassis and steering you have to drive it at very high speeds to really get your oops-I almost-lost-it-in-that-curve-back-their adrenaline flowing. With the Z4 you can have this kind of fun at merely 20 miles an hour over the posted limits. With the Porsche you have to be clearly in license losing territory to really get your heart pounding.
    This is an important consideration, but further speaks to the superiority of the Boxster design.

Fat Sound, that was a very nice report indeed.
    IMO you could have made it twice as long and I would have kept on still
    Keep it up.

Is the Z4 a fly-by-wire controlled car?? Holy hell. It's pretty difficult to make a car that handles and give you feedback like a true sportscar that way.

IMO the Boxster isnt very pretty in yellow,- but very few cars are

How come you didnt opt for PASM? I reckon there isnt something called PSM on the 987's, right? PASM = PSM + adjustability...or?

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Is the Z4 a fly-by-wire controlled car??
    How come you didnt opt for PASM? I reckon there isnt something called PSM on the 987's, right? PASM = PSM + adjustability...or?

The Z4 has "electric steering". I guess the steering wheel input is measured by a computer and the computer turns the wheels via electric motors and responds with the feedback to hand that it "feels" is correct. If you ask me BMW needs to get back to basics. My E39 5 series had brilliant steering feel/feedback...absolutely perfect. On the first year release of the new E60 5 series you HAD to get Active steering to get the sport package...at least here in The States. No one seems to like that system either!
    Then there's the problem BMW won't admit to where after sitting in the hot sun on days over 85 degrees the steering in Z4's feels stiff, notchy and completely unresponsive until the AirCon cools the interior down a bit. This was one of the reasons I traded now...before it got hot here again and I had to deal with this problem for the second year.

As for not getting PASM....basically it was a financial decision. Just getting to a base S model was a stretch for me so I left nearly all 96 option boxes unchecked.
    My car does have PSM just not PASM. I believe PASM cars also have PSM as these are two seperate systems.

I have only:

Heated seats....so I can drive top down more comfortably in temps below 50 degrees.

Bose stereo.....I'm a music fan and even though the Boxster makes its own glorous music...I still occasionally want to hear some Echo and the Bunnymen...really loud!

Bi-Xenons....sorry, but once you get use to Xenons you HAVE to have them. makes ordinary halogens seem like you've taped two flashlights to your front bumper...flashlights with weak batteries!

Sport steering wheel....also a MUST have item. I much prefer it's smaller diameter and the contours are perfect.

That's it. So you see...truly a stripped 987S, but I couldn't be happier!!

PASM with the beautiful 19's would have been nice, but out of my range...heck the car as spec'd is out of my range!

Re: Thanks.....

Fat Sound - I'm in NJ and I, too, just took delivery of a 987S in Arctic Silver over black (19" Carrera S wheels, Sport Chrono wo/PCM, Bose with windstop, electric seats, sport steering wheel, heated seats, 6-disc changer, and floor mats). Where are you ordering your clear front side markers from? I put those on a previous '97 C4S in Arctic Silver, and I thought they made a big difference on light colored cars. Thanks.

Fat Sound - I forgot to mention that my wife's daily driver is an '03 Z4 3.0 (Titanium silver over black, Sport package with 18" wheels, heated seats, 6-disc changer, power top, and floor mats). I agree with every point of your Z4 vs. 987S comparison, except that we haven't noticed the weird electric steering as being worse on sunny, hot days (we've had the car since 10/03). Did you have any mechanical issues with the Z4?

Congrats! Great color combo! My clears arrived yesterday. Very prompt service from Park Place Porsche in Texas. Ordered on line at about $18.00/each and delivered in just a few days:
    http://www.parkplacestores.com/DealershipHome.asp?DealershipID=2

Quote:
    Martz911 said:
    I agree with every point of your Z4 vs. 987S comparison, except that we haven't noticed the weird electric steering as being worse on sunny, hot days (we've had the car since 10/03). Did you have any mechanical issues with the Z4?

Despite the steering issues I would have loved to have kept my Z4 and have both in the garage! forced to choose though...the choice was clear
    The steering issue was the only problem I had with the car. many other Z4 owners have reported this issue as well. Mine was also purchased in 10.03, but was a June build date.
    Unfortunately now that I have clued you in to the steering problem....I bet you notice it come summer
    It manifests itself as a sticky feel. After sitting in the heat for several hours (for some reason it needs to be in dirtect sunlight. Just getting hot in my garage didn't cause a problem) the steering wheel will be reluctant to return to center after taking a curve.
    Maybe you don't have this problem...hope not!

If the Z4 was the only sports car I'd driven I would never have considered another one. The ride was absolutely and totally unacceptable. I didn't like the view down that silly long bonnet (hood) made positioning difficult. Just a chest-wig car with no substance. Horrible. I don't always agree with Jeremy Clarkson, but he hated the Z4 and so do I.

Fat Sound - Thanks for the tip on where to get the clear side markers. Is that the identical part as for the 997? Do you know the part number?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688849 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408839 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255595 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234840 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773600 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM