Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

AMV8 official spec and pic.

Courtesy of Aston Martin Owners Club

Aston Martin Launches the V8 Vantage
    The Third Model from Aston Martin

Geneva - Aston Martin unveiled the production version of its eagerly awaited V8 Vantage at the 2005 Geneva International Motor Show on Tuesday 1st March.

First shown as a concept car at the 2003 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the V8 Vantage immediately caused a worldwide sensation as it allows Aston Martin to enter a new sector of the premium sports car market with a genuine alternative to other cars that are currently on offer.

Deliveries of the V8 Vantage to customers in the UK and Europe will begin in late summer and in North America and the rest of the world by the end of the year.

It will be built at Aston Martin's Headquarters at Gaydon, Warwickshire, UK, and completes the current Aston Martin line-up. This now comprises the flagship Vanquish S, the elegant DB9 and the agile V8 Vantage

"The V8 Vantage is a significant car for us," explained Dr Ulrich Bez, CEO of Aston Martin. "It is now the third model in our range and is the culmination of the first phase of reinvigorating the Aston Martin brand around the world that began in the year 2000.

"The V8 Vantage is a true Aston Martin, built with the same high integrity and passion as all of our cars. This is the more affordable Aston Martin and its design and agility should help to widen our appeal and attract younger customers to our marque."

"The real difference is that the V8 Vantage takes us into a new sector of the market where we have not been previously represented. The V8 Vantage has all of the hand-built bespoke attributes for which Aston Martin is renowned."

Styling & Design
    The exterior of the V8 Vantage is beautiful and perfectly proportioned from every angle with a low purposeful stance. Each carefully detailed feature provides graphic evidence of the painstaking craftsmanship and quality, which is synonymous with the Aston Martin marque.

The long bonnet and two-seater cabin creates an instantly recognisable stance, while minimal front and rear overhangs, combined with a wide track, appear to push the rear wheels out and enhance the extremities of the bodywork. At the rear a hatchback offers practicality not normally found in sports cars of this type.

"The V8 Vantage features many of the design cues that have become basic DNA for all Aston Martin models and are leading edge in car design," added Dr Bez.

"It was important to ensure that the design was pure, clean and innovative, while at the same time you should be able to cover the front nose badge and instantly recognise the V8 Vantage as an Aston Martin."

Offered with an imaginative combination of different leathers, contemporary fabrics and aluminium, V8 Vantage customers will have an extensive choice of standard body and trim colours from which to choose.

"From the outset, the look, feel and functionality of the interior was a key priority", said Aston Martin's Interior Design Manager Sarah Maynard. "We wanted to ensure the V8 Vantage reflected the new direction that the company is now taking."

The V8 Vantage is a two-seater, with the rear environment offering a large luggage shelf area accessed by a tailgate.

Inside, Aston Martin's craftsmanship is matched to striking 21st century style. The dials are made from aluminium, and together with the switchgear have a very distinct design and unique Aston Martin look and feel.

"We wanted to continue to evolve the interior design we started with the DB9," added Sarah Maynard. "The V8 Vantage has all of those attributes and like the DB9 everything you touch and see within the cabin area is special to Aston Martin. The ambience of the cabin is extremely important and we needed to ensure we continued to maintain the high standards we have already set."

Chassis, Engine and Performance

The V8 Vantage has endured the most extensive test and development programme in the Company's 91 year history during which 78 Prototypes were vigorously tested more than 11/2 million miles. In Dubai over 12,000 miles of testing was carried out where ambient temperatures regularly hit 48*c and the bodywork of the cars reached 87*c.

High speed testing was conducted at the Nardo test track in Italy and extensive testing was carried out at Nurburgring's Nordschleife in Germany, and cold weather testing in temperatures as low as -30*c was undertaken in Sweden.

The V8 Vantage is the second model to use Aston Martin's unique VH (Vertical Horizontal) architecture. Constructed from lightweight aluminium extrusions, precision castings and pressings, the underframe is bonded with aerospace adhesives and mechanically fixed with self-piercing rivets.

Certain complex parts of the frame are precision die cast in aluminium; the door inner panels are cast magnesium and the windscreen surround is a one piece aluminium casting.

The frame is bonded with cold-cure adhesive which has exceptional damping properties that help soak up the vibrations which may otherwise appear if the structure was welded.

The unique architecture provides an excellent backbone, while the use of sophisticated materials such as lightweight alloys, magnesium and advanced composites for the body further contributes to the car's low weight and class-leading rigidity.

The V8 Vantage uses a combination of aluminium, steel and advanced composite exterior panels. Composites are used for panels with a high degree of complexity and a deeper shape, such as the front wings, which incorporate the distinctive side strakes.

Aston Martin's engineers have worked with Ford Research and Nottingham University to develop RTM (Resin Transfer Moulding) composite panels, using unique processes and materials, resulting in composite panels and extremely high surface finish. The process ensures that the optimum amount of reinforcement material is used in each area of the panel to ensure optimum strength and weight.

Steel pressings are used for the body side panels to achieve the sheer depth of the design. This delivers the required style without resorting to using several panels in the rear three-quarter area, resulting in a remarkably clean and uncluttered appearance.

The V8 Vantage is very much a pure sports car, so from the outset, the priority of Aston Martin's engineers was to focus on a lightweight, compact size, agility and power. At just 4.38 metres long it is compact and very nimble and is the smallest model in the Aston Martin range.

The all new 380 bhp engine is a 4.3 litre, low emissions all aluminium alloy V8, unique to Aston Martin. This new V8 uses the latest technology to deliver outstanding performance in all environments.

The layout of the powertrain adopts a transaxle configuration, whereby the front mid-mounted engine is connected to the transmission - at the rear of the car - via a cast aluminium torque tube and carbon fibre prop-shaft. This configuration provides the car with a 49:51 weight distribution, giving outstanding handling characteristics and excellent all round capabilities.

Aston Martin has adopted a dry-sump lubrication system for the V8 Vantage. Often used in racing cars, this system allows the engine to sit very low in the body, lowering the centre of gravity which in turn helps to improve handling and the overall balance and stability of the car. The system also helps to improve engine durability by maintaining lubrication under conditions of extreme cornering and braking.

"This is precisely the set-up you want in a sports car," explained Jeremy Main, Product Development Director of Aston Martin. "It helps maximise all of the aspects that you need to create an outstanding sports car."

The advanced quad-cam 32-valve engine is individually hand assembled by skilled Aston Martin technicians at the company's new engine production facility in Cologne, Germany, where every Aston Martin engine, including the V12 for Vanquish S and DB9, is built.

"The V8 engine is unique to Aston Martin," said Jeremy Main. "We share expertise within the PAG organisation but this design is totally new and not a shared engine. Every significant part of it is unique from the specification of the cylinder block to the cylinder heads, crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, camshafts, inlet and exhaust manifolds, lubrication system and engine management."

The bore and stroke dimensions are optimised to provide an excellent balance between outright power and torque, while a resonance induction system improves tractability and performance.

The inlet camshaft timing is variable resulting in improved low-end throttle response, mid-range torque and seamless power delivery. Maximum power is 380bhp @ 7000rpm and maximum torque 302lb ft @ 5000rpm.

The V8 Vantage will be initially offered with a 6-speed manual transmission and other alternatives will be announced at a later date. A great deal of time and effort has been spent ensuring that the new transmission has a smooth and fast shift action to ensure its ultra close ratios can be used to maximum effect.

"It is one of the best manual gear changes in the world," added Jeremy Main. "Driving enjoyment is a very important quality of the V8 Vantage and part of this is a superb gear change action."
    -----

Neesh_Mini

172 posts [100%]
    Brisbane QLD

1:05 AM 2/28/2005

ENGINE:
    All alloy quad overhead camshaft 32 valve, 4.3 litre V8. Variable Inlet Camshaft Timing. Dry sump lubrication system. Fully catalysed stainless steel exhaust system with active bypass valves. Front-mid mounted engine. Rear wheel drive
    Maximum Power:
    283kW (380 bhp) @ 7000 rpm

Maximum Torque:
    410 Nm (302 Ib.ft) @ 5000 rpm

Maximum Speed:
    280 km/h (175 mph)

Acceleration:
    0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.0 seconds
    0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds

Bore: 89mm (3.504 in)

Stroke: 86mm (3.386 in)

BODY:
    Two door style with tailgate and 2+0 seating. Bonded aluminium structure, Aluminium alloy, steel, composite, and magnesium alloy body. Extruded aluminium side impact bars Halogen projector headlamps, LED rear lamps.

STEERING:
    Rack and pinion power assisted steering. Column reach and tilt adjust.

TRANSMISSION:
    Rear mid-mounted 6 speed Graziano manual gearbox. Alloy torque tube with carbon fibre prop-shaft. Limited slip differential.
    Gear Ratios:
    1st 3.154
    2nd 1.974
    3rd 1.435
    4th 1.148
    5th 0.935
    6th 0.775

Final Drive Ratio 3.909:1

EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS:
    Length:
    4383 mm (172.5 inches)

Width:
    1866 mm (73.5 inches)
    (excluding mirrors)

2022 mm (79.6 inches)
    (including mirrors)

Height:
    1255 mm (49.4 inches)

Wheelbase:
    2600 mm (102.4 inches)

Front Track:
    1568 mm (61.7 inches)

Rear Track:
    1562 mm (61.5 inches)

Turning Circle: (Kerb to Kerb)
    11.1 m (36 feet 5 inches)

Boot capacity:
    300 litres (10.6 cu.ft)

Fuel capacity:
    77 litres (16.8 UK Gal / 20.2 US Gal)

Kerb Weight:
    1570kgs (3461 Ib)

SUSPENSION
    Independent double aluminium wishbones, coil over aluminium monotube dampers, Front and rear anti-roll bars.

Re: AMV8 official spec and pic.

Thanks a lot for the info Ron!
    so what do you think my friend?
    I know it's not representative of a sports car, but it sells nonetheless, I'm talking about the 0 to 100 km/h time.
    5.0 secs is on par with the base 997. Not that great.
    It looks good though!
    Overall, I think the AMV8 is a great proposition against the 997, not the 997S.

Kerb Weight:
    1570kgs (3461 Ib)
    ahhhh that sucks

Quote:
    Fanch said:

But I think price will be more like 997S (or even higher)...

Basically same torque as the 997S but form a 4.3l V8... definately not supercharged like the Jag
    Is it me or those rear tires ogf the AMV8 look awfully narrow

I think it will sell really well. I see it more a competitor of a Maserati Coupe for example than a 997S, or maybe a C4S at the most.

Actually this is the first pic where I don't like to see the AMV(, maybe due to the wheels that look very vulgar and yellow is not my cup of tea either.

Anyway I agree with Carlos, this is competition for the Maserati.

J.Seven

Quote:
    chanh said:
    Kerb Weight:
    1570kgs (3461 Ib)
    ahhhh that sucks

yep, that's 911 turbo territory

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    chanh said:
    Kerb Weight:
    1570kgs (3461 Ib)
    ahhhh that sucks

So, 997S weighs roughly 3200lbs and 430 also now weighs about 3200lbs (per Italian wt claims); AM is fairly lame to come in 300 lbs heavy w/no excuse of AWD, etc.....Bez talks a big game about being father of 993, etc, but it seems that Dearborn is actually calling the shots......for amusement, chk out the key fobs of DB9 and try to distinguish the key from an Explorer's....so much for exclusivity.....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    chanh said:
    Kerb Weight:
    1570kgs (3461 Ib)
    ahhhh that sucks

So, 997S weighs roughly 3200lbs and 430 also now weighs about 3200lbs (per Italian wt claims); AM is fairly lame to come in 300 lbs heavy w/no excuse of AWD, etc.....Bez talks a big game about being father of 993, etc, but it seems that Dearborn is actually calling the shots...

Well, the 993 is a wonderful car in many many ways - but lightweight is not one of them. 993 is about same weight as 997 (maybe slightly less), and it's a smaller car than 997 and has less safety-mandated heavy items...

Also, the 997 is not 3,200 lbs in street trim. I assure you it's more (unless it has no options and no fluids)

Aside from everything else, the car looks great. Thanks for posting.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Thanks a lot for the info Ron!
    so what do you think my friend?
    I know it's not representative of a sports car, but it sells nonetheless, I'm talking about the 0 to 100 km/h time.
    5.0 secs is on par with the base 997. Not that great.
    It looks good though!

I'm not sure what to think ? As carlos mentioned, this will be competing with Maserati more so than Porsche. I still like the design ; what Aston has as a selling point would the exclusivity they have been talking about.

Yesterday I was driving home in a very slow traffic and I was side by side to a beautiful DB9, man that car looks and sounds beautiful . I believe the AMV8 will be as beautiful in person amd Aston will have no difficulty selling thses babys.

Now that we know the production figures I'm wondering what the V8-R figures would be?

Thanx Ron
    It is a stunning car indeed, but I'm a little disappionted by two things:

1. The engine - although it probably is a great engine, the specs are slightly disappionting now that Audi has launched a 4.2l V8 with 420 hp and 430 nm. And BMW is likely to follow with a similar engine next year in the M3.

2. The wheels - I like the concept wheels better. The spokes on the production wheels are a bit too thin for my taste.

Concept wheels

Production wheels

Side view

Rear

Temm, there is an optional 7-spoke, 19-inch wheels. I have no picture, but I'm sure it'a a version of the concept ones!

Quote:
    shin said:
    Temm, there is an optional 7-spoke, 19-inch wheels. I have no picture, but I'm sure it'a a version of the concept ones!

Cool, can't wait to see it! thanx

Temm, I'm sorry but it turns out that the (plain) 7-spoke wheels are the optional 19 inchers! The stock wheels are 10-spoke 18 inchers..
    I couldn't agree more, those wheels look too plain.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    chanh said:
    Kerb Weight:
    1570kgs (3461 Ib)
    ahhhh that sucks

So, 997S weighs roughly 3200lbs and 430 also now weighs about 3200lbs (per Italian wt claims); AM is fairly lame to come in 300 lbs heavy w/no excuse of AWD, etc.....Bez talks a big game about being father of 993, etc, but it seems that Dearborn is actually calling the shots...

Well, the 993 is a wonderful car in many many ways - but lightweight is not one of them. 993 is about same weight as 997 (maybe slightly less), and it's a smaller car than 997 and has less safety-mandated heavy items...

Also, the 997 is not 3,200 lbs in street trim. I assure you it's more (unless it has no options and no fluids)

Interesting...I typically just rely on whatever curb wt specs mfrs provide. Given P seems to provide conservative hp figs, why do you think curb wt figs are understated? Why shouldn't we assume F/Lambo/Merc, etc also play similar games w/published wt and hp figs?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    chanh said:
    Kerb Weight:
    1570kgs (3461 Ib)
    ahhhh that sucks

i dunno about that. my fully loaded 01 996 "cab" c2 was 3250 full of gas (professionally corner balanced 3 times) with the only weight savings being about 60 lbs via switching to GT3 seats. the 996 and 7 are heavier than the 996 but probably not more so than the cab penalty.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688691 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255552 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234810 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857627 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773465 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM