Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Spacious Cayman? Have we been had?

"..., but also, through its well-conceived space concept, allows all kinds of leisure time activities."

That's a quote from the press release.
    Makes me wonder if we've all been had, cuz unless the car is larger than a 911, and unless their idea of "all kinds of leisure time activities" are activities like polishing shoes, needlepoint and playing chess, there's no way in hell any Porsche sportscar has room for it.

Could it be that
    a) Porsche has fooled everyone and is now introducing a large, GT-type 928 successor---and maybe ALSO a coupe version of the Boxster??
    b) Their PR-dept. need a serious reality-check and learn to exaggerate less?

Re: Spacious Cayman? Have we been had?

They're probably referring to the spacious rear trunk with that infamous rear hatch.
    BTW: if somebody expects room behind the seats (the Cayman is a two-seater) like on the 911...forget it.
    But the rear trunk is pretty long due to the new design concept.
    And another fact: the interior is the same as on the Boxster, no new design.

"all kinds of leisure time activities."

When I first read, or rather mis-read, this phrase, I didn't think of all the leisure activities one could use the car to go to...I was thinking more about the leisure activities one could get up to in the car with the right female company! Sorry, that was immature and naughty...

Quote:
    RC said:
    They're probably referring to the spacious rear trunk with that infamous rear hatch.
    BTW: if somebody expects room behind the seats (the Cayman is a two-seater) like on the 911...forget it.
    But the rear trunk is pretty long due to the new design concept.
    And another fact: the interior is the same as on the Boxster, no new design.

I dont see how the trunk can be that long, when you need room for the engine?? The rear trunk of the 987 isnt very long, not because it lacks a hatch, but simply because the engine takes up all the space.

So I dont get it?

No soft top to hide away back there means more rear trunk space... I'm guessing.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

I dont see how the trunk can be that long, when you need room for the engine?? The rear trunk of the 987 isnt very long, not because it lacks a hatch, but simply because the engine takes up all the space.

So I dont get it?

Now you have the space above the engine plus the trunk of the boxster. Its amazing how much Porsche luggage will fit in one. Its like the Porsche luggage was design especially for it.

Two sets of clubs
    For those who like a good walk spoiled

You will be pleasantly surprised at how much gear will fit in a Cayman S.

People really do like hatchabck designs, for a variety of reasons. I know that the Cayman will be a very useful design, with quite a bit of space in a real Sports Coupe !
    Revvv

I found I could carry a pile of stuff in my Boxster... guitars, amps, as well as Cupholder. ;-)

W/o the folded top taking up space, I'd bet you could hold a plethora of stuff in the new car. I read somewhere that it will have more interior space than the Boxster, but will use the same interior from new 987. The space where the folded to would normally go will likely be given to interior storage space... possible the tray that has been alluded to.

Can't wait to see it. Not crazy about te name. Will probably buy one anyway.

Re: Spacious Cayman? A Very Special First .....

OK, Ive slammed the name"Cayman" to high hell, but I guess I'm over that now...

Porsche has achieved another first with the Cayman, it maybe the First Mid Engine Hatchback sportscar.

So no doubt it will have plenty of room for golf clubs,
    a Browning M2 QCB .50cal, a pole lamp shipping box from
    Ikea or whatever "lifestyle liesure" thing/item they wrote about on their silly Cayman site.

I hope that the reptile as ruthless metaphor holds true for its driving dynamics. I am prepared to give them the benifit of the the doubt. I hope that it will give more driver satisfaction than a rag top Boxster to justify its higher price and different name.

Will the Cayman be eating Vipers and Corvettes? Is this an attempt to build a real giant killer? We will have to wait and see.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Will the Cayman be eating Vipers and Corvettes? Is this an attempt to build a real giant killer? We will have to wait and see.

No, because to do so would mean it was also eating 997S's, GT3's and Turbos which ain't gonna happen at that price-point...

That doesn't mean that it won't be the best driving (most satisfying) road car in the lineup for a nice drive in the mountains (or other twisty roads) if they get it right...

Lets hope they do get it right...

Maybe the could show us some "good will" on the Cayman S
    with solid motor mounts, different suspension bushings
    close ratio gear set, a 40% locking diff and ..gasp!..
    a power steering rack cooler...fat chance on that stuff
    I suppose, but all combined it would make a huge difference.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Lets hope they do get it right...

Maybe the could show us some "good will" on the Cayman S
    with solid motor mounts, different suspension bushings
    close ratio gear set, a 40% locking diff and ..gasp!..
    a power steering rack cooler...fat chance on that stuff
    I suppose, but all combined it would make a huge difference.

I'll do you one better - what if it's light enough that it doesn't need a power steering cooler OR power steering at all. The RS America was the last Porsche with manual steering and it weighs around 2,700lbs. Manual steering is much nicer in a lightweight rear (or mid-rear) engined car

I agree, the whole power steering on a Porsche is just a bit too much for my tastes, but im sure that customers will whine if they have to exert any physical effort at all to park something with 19X10" wheels. Spoiled and moronic customers used to bitch about tranny noise, so Porsche went to that friggin dual mass flywheel and thats another item
    Porsche should leave off of any Cayman sports model.

And while I am ranting....., WTF do you need a hydraulic clutch assist for on a 997/987 for? Also who really needs power seats on a 911??Id rather have the simplicity and feel of a simple cable and adjust the seat myself. Let some other customer have the extra weight and expense of it all.

I wish Porsche would offer a "decontented" simplfied, "3rd World" versions of their cars. I really dont like the plush cocoon like synthetic feeling they have gotten to lately. Its gotten way over the top for a sports car.

I loved my RS America, right down to its dog leash like door pulls.

Jim - I agree - too much fluff! The Elise's passenger seat doesn't even slide fore/aft on tracks - it's bolted in for weight savings. Porsche needs to get back to some of these ideals

Re: porsche fluffery

I think is due in large part to the increased...girth...of the ageing German population. Theyve gotten bigger, somber and older over the last 30 years and now seem to want more comfort and isolation in their cars.

Porsche really needs something more fun in their line up.
    No matter how you cut it, the Boxster is very serious and almost derivative like compared to their earlier sports cars.(rule out 924/944/968 there!)

We know they Porsche is fat and happy for the time being,so now is the time they really should challenge themselves to create something midway between a Elise and the Boxster just to break out of the box. (no pun intended! )

Use the 2.5 engine, 5 spd, have it weigh 2500lbs and no
    power assist fluffery. If Kia and can rent autoclave time to form carbon fiber parts I dont see why Porsche can't.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    And while I am ranting.....who really needs power seats on a 911??Id rather have the simplicity and feel of a simple cable and adjust the seat myself. Let some other customer have the extra weight and expense of it all.

Power seats are an extra-cost option anyway, so where's the problem?

The vast majority of customers require many of these refinements considering the pricepoint and intended usage. The market for a more raw sports car is very limited. Porsche's marketing literature should be a good indication of their customer base.

Quote:
    Justin said:
    The vast majority of customers require many of these refinements considering the pricepoint and intended usage. The market for a more raw sports car is very limited.

Proof: What are the sales figures for one of the ultimate "raw sports cars", the Lotus Elise?

(In order to avoid any misconceptions, I am a fan of the Elise's concept, so I'm not "knocking" it).

I bought one, so I must be the village fool around here.

Even by the time the Elise made to the U.S., it had A/C, carpet, some sound insulation, and a CD player. Lotus can probably sell 2500 this year because it has been anticipated for so long, but probably not that many next year unless they release that supercharger kit.

Caterham/Westfield derivatives? Nobles? Not sure about those figures. For some reason, this seems to be a very British concept. I guess they are the only one willing to design a car with such idiosyncrasies.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759871 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433919 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259798 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256938 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80620 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5308 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870814 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805904 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM