Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: After a few years, .. IT'S HERE!

That is great looking in that yellow, every last little detail pops out. Enjoy the hell out of it

Congrats Mike,
    What a marvellous car! Enjoy it!!!

Man, that signal yellow is so kewl...

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    OK, that's it for now.

PDI is supposed to be complete Monday afternoon. ...

Mike - congratuations . Not long after I read your post earlier today, what should arrive in the mail ? This week's issue of Autoweek dated Feb 21st. On page 19 is a qtr page ad from a Cincinnati Porsche dealer with a pic of a seal grey C-GT and the header : " Make today the last boring Saturday of your life. " !

WOW..no words!

Have lots of fun with it

J.Seven

OW. my...! What a great car! I always had the opinion that the CGT should not be yellow, but I am starting to doubt right now...
    BTW, it's not schoolbus yellow, it's rubberduckie-yellow
    -Joost-

Congrats, absolutely gorgeous car.

Kudos to you for choosing something different than silver.
    It really highlights the supercar status of the GT.

Enjoy it in good health.

RG Tim

Congatulations Mike !

I cant think of a better home for a CGT.

Thank you for sharing the delivery details, it was very interesting to see.

Mike,
    Congratulations. I think, with the red and yellow combo, you should consider Joost's suggestion and call this the Rubber Ducky. That will stop them calling it a school bus. Then you can get a CB radio and practice keeping the rubber side down.

Can't wait to hear your first drive report.

D.

Congrats Mike, she's a beauty

Re: CGT flipping off the lift?

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Tell me, what's the story about attaching the car to the lift?? IT is a mid-engined car, can't they place the lift arms around the center of gravity?

The strap-down precaution to prevent flipping backwards off the lift is very important information concerning any Carrera GT that every owner should know.

Apparently, the lift points had to be put in a place that was convenient for the load-bearing structure of the carbon-fiber chassis. Unfortunately, the rear lifting-pad recepticle is VERY close to the center of balance of the car. This means that only a small force would be required to rotate the car around an axis formed by the right and left rear contact points.

This is potentially a very expensive, novel "feature" of the car's construction.

One doesn't merely pop a floor jack under this car without respecting the factory lift points. I certainly do not wish to punch a hole through the carbon fiber by placing a jack just any old place that "looks promising", or without the metal lifting adapters in place

There are special covers that hide the special lifting recepticles from the elements during normal use. If it becomes necessary to lift the car off its wheels, then one must remove the protective covers and then attach (w/bolts) special lift-point adapter plates that one presumes function as load spreaders for the carbon fiber (at least the rear ones!).

The front lift point adapters have a screw-eye that is meant to receive a hold-down strap that is secured firmly to the lift arm to resist any upward movement of the front of the car.

Can you believe it? The front lift point really should be called a "hold-down point", instead.

Here is a pic of the dealer techs testing the security of their hold-down straps by lifting on the front of the CGT while its only a few inches off the wood ramp blocks:

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    I've heard that on Monday morning, all Ohio State Patrol officers will be briefed on the situation ...

Here's a spy-cam snap of an under-cover RennTeam agent watching for any "interesting" happenings:

Here's another shot of the lift adapter plate with the screw-eye threaded with the hold-down strap to the lift arm:

Mike, thanks for the explanation! Probably another clue of the car's LeMans-spec derivative coming through.

I am pretty curious to hear your comments about the car's character, especially compared to your former 962.

Cheers!

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Tell me, what's the story about attaching the car to the lift?? IT is a mid-engined car, can't they place the lift arms around the center of gravity?

The strap-down precaution to prevent flipping backwards off the lift is very important information concerning any Carrera GT that every owner should know.

Apparently, the lift points had to be put in a place that was convenient for the load-bearing structure of the carbon-fiber chassis. Unfortunately, the rear lifting-pad recepticle is VERY close to the center of balance of the car. This means that only a small force would be required to rotate the car around an axis formed by the right and left rear contact points.

This is potentially a very expensive, novel "feature" of the car's construction.

One doesn't merely pop a floor jack under this car without respecting the factory lift points. I certainly do not wish to punch a hole through the carbon fiber by placing a jack just any old place that "looks promising", or without the metal lifting adapters in place

There are special covers that hide the special lifting recepticles from the elements during normal use. If it becomes necessary to lift the car off its wheels, then one must remove the protective covers and then attach (w/bolts) special lift-point adapter plates that one presumes function as load spreaders for the carbon fiber (at least the rear ones!).

The front lift point adapters have a screw-eye that is meant to receive a hold-down strap that is secured firmly to the lift arm to resist any upward movement of the front of the car.

Can you believe it? The front lift point really should be called a "hold-down point", instead.

Here is a pic of the dealer techs testing the security of their hold-down straps by lifting on the front of the CGT while its only a few inches off the wood ramp blocks:

I've had two non-Pcar dealer places already "almost" lift the car. Luckily I heard both intended to so before they did so I could say DO NOT!!!

Congratulations! I love the color! Oustanding!!!

wow! I am stunned I am so close to one here in Cincinnati. I am breathing heavy! And i am all the way across the river!!

Congrats Mike!

I wish you many, many happy miles with this beauty =)

What a beautiful car & color Congrats and enjoy every bit of it.

Are you going to bring to to Mid Ohio in April .?

Eric

Re: How to Break-in a CGT?

Quote:
    Porsche Fan said:

Eric

I don't know. It might be a little early, depending on what I decide to do about the break-in technique.

I am extremely interested in an unusual method that goes against the owners' manual recommendations. Click here and tell me what you guys think.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    Porsche Fan said:

Eric

I don't know. It might be a little early, depending on what I decide to do about the break-in technique.

I am extremely interested in an unusual method that goes against the owners' manual recommendations. Click here and tell me what you guys think.

FWIW Mike, much of the break in (especially on a race motor like the CGT's) is for the rest of the drivetrain which is not discussed in that link (if I remember right since I read it long ago).

PS. I sent you a PM.

Are you really going to trust that author with your half a million dollar super car? ...good luck

---edit---

oops looks like Ben beat me to it.

Quote:
    Ryan in SD said:
    Are you really going to trust that author with your half a million dollar super car? ...good luck

Well, the scientific arguements agree with my engineer's sense of what sounds correct. But, as Ben points out, there may be other things that need some wear-in besides the rings.

Maybe I'll try a mixture with full-throttle, long-duration exercises with lots of engine braking, ... but only up to 4200 rpm?

BTW, Ben. How many miles were on your CGT after it rolled off the transporter? Mine had 50.

Quote:
    W8MM said:

Boy, that page gets around. That guy's break in procedure has been beaten to death since long already in Sporbike motorcycle forums, especially in Gixxer forum I used to pop in every once in a while for some info.
    Conclusions from the dabaates is that nobody knows if he is correct or not, some claim they followed his procedure and had no problems and the bike dinoed OK (high performance sportbike engines are so high strung and special (a GSX-R1000 pull 160HP per 1iter at over 12,000RPM) that they are much more sensitive to break in procedures, you do a too gentle or slow rev break-in and the HP output will be bellow factory specs for example), others claimed the oposite, but its hard to stablish a cause-effect so the controversy goes on and on.
    Bottom line, there is no info as to conclude on either way (factory brake-in or "drive it like you stole it" brake-in) so my desition is to play it safe and follow factory recomendations, the other way is just taking an unnecesary risk though very appealing to follow since you bypass the tedious factory brake-in. Though in sportcars the engines are mostly already broken in (not in sportbikes were you can actually "feel" the engine loosening up more and more with every 600miles you put on it) probably this brake in procedure is not as risky, but then there is all the rest of the drivetrain like Ben says that is not broken-in at factory like the engine is.
    And lastly if any warranty issues appear for any reason on the CGT, I don't know if they can tell from hooking up the car to the diagnostic computer if you have followed proper brake-in by looking at the rev vs milage and could be used against you should anything go wrong in such an expensive car

Mike,
    DID YOU HAVE A 962?!? Could you PLEASE post some pics?
    -Joost-

Joost, check out his member picture gallery and enjoy the view
    http://www.rennteam.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=546

AMAZING, now i just need to find 500k and buy my own Carrera GT and i will own the one of the Greatest cars in the world. And i love the Fayence yellow paint!!!!

Quote:
    Carrera_GTcrazy said:
    And i love the Fayence yellow paint!!!!

Carrera_GTcrazy, sir, are you sure? Depending on the exposure and lighting of the photographs, it can look like Fayence, but it looks closer to Signal Yellow don't you think?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691145 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410231 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256266 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235425 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65757 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858865 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775177 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM