Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 wide body spotted!!

Quote:
    Ray G said:
    Quote:
    Danny G said:
    Quote:
    mt2000 said:
    Hi, I'm mad on the 997 and have been lurking for a long while. Am particularly interested in this thread.

I'm convinced that this is a widebody. The place to look is the rear light cluster - they're different. The widebody has a "flatter" cluster. the narrow body has a "curvier" cluster. It is necessarily less "curved" by virtue of its increased width. It looks awesome !!

That's just because of the different angles of each photo. Look at the yellow 997s on page2 of this thread and the light cluster is also flat.

You won't find this hump this big on your 997, regardless of angle.

Do I see 2 telemetry antennas (2 on the right back, not counting the AM antenna in the middle)?

Also the lighting on the GA plate doesn't match the rest of the picture IMHO. Something is amiss (hope it's not me!).

Moreover, the other "non-wide body" photo (front left views) looks doctored to me, but I'm no expert.

This whole thread is awesomely funny. I like it. Thanks!

Again, here's a picture of my "wide body."

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Quote:
    Ray G said:
    I posted the original pictures on Rennlist. Here are more pictures for you doubters....
    997 Wide Body on Rennlist

-Ray

OK, I was right! It does have Georgia plates. So it could be! Now doing a unscientific test with my car, checking the rear at every angle, I could only get it to look wide on one side only and not both in reference to the rear taillights. This seems wide on both side.

The picture with the mechanic is not in the US based on the parking lines on the street, curb height, and the pants length of the tech. That's Europe, probably Germany, possible Stuttgart! I laugh, but I am serious, too.

Other than the fact that the last picture is a blatant photochop, I'm totally convinced!!!!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Other than the fact that the last picture is a blatant photochop, I'm totally convinced!!!!

LOL!!! You got me!

And one more thing! How come the vehicles in the front have frost, but the vehicles in the background don't! Hmmm, what about that??? Am I smoking crack or what?

The cars on the lot have been there all night. The cars in front are employee cars, cars that have been warmed up and driven to work. I live about a mile from this dealer so I am aware of the parking there.
    I'm actually headed there today, and I will take better pics if the car is still there.

It's Barrier Motors in Bellevue, WA (Seattle)...I know because I'm from there and had my 99 996 and 01 996 (which they delivered) serviced there. Frost is typical this time of year and that EXACT parking spot is on a hill that faces the MBNZ dealer across the road...for the record...that IS the exact Barrier Porsche mechanic uniform too. The photos are quite real I assure you.

Here is a C2S (apparently) from an old spy pic.

Quote:
    WC996 said:
    It's Barrier Motors in Bellevue, WA (Seattle)...I know because I'm from there and had my 99 996 and 01 996 (which they delivered) serviced there. Frost is typical this time of year and that EXACT parking spot is on a hill that faces the MBNZ dealer across the road...for the record...that IS the exact Barrier Porsche mechanic uniform too. The photos are quite real I assure you.

Okay--thanks for your patience. So what's with the two antennas on the right back that look the same as some of the early 997 test vehicles?

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    Quote:
    WC996 said:

Okay--thanks for your patience. So what's with the two antennas on the right back that look the same as some of the early 997 test vehicles?

Thats a C2S???? looks wide!

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    Quote:
    WC996 said:

I saw this car in person. Those are some kind of telemetry antennae mounts. The antennae are unscrewed and laying on the front pass seat. There is black tape running down the right side of the rear window. In the back seat is a wooden platform with some kind of transmitter.

I think I am convinced, IF these pics are real. they looked real to me. The new pics do show it better, and I am very glad with them. I also think that the rear lights look flatter on the widebody, and that would make sense... Again, I THINK I am convinced
    -Joost-

Scientific proof

Quote:
    Joost said:
    Again, I THINK I am convinced
    -Joost-

Seems like you all need the Big Doc Piddy to straighten things out.
    Made a super spaceage scientific test of the problem at hand, and here is the result:
    The car on the alledged spy photo is NO wider nor narrower than any normal 997. The only thing strange about the car IMO is the rear wiper. AFAIK there is no wiper on the 997?

Anyways, check these two photos.
    I measured each car using a matrix grid.
    Top one is UPO (unidentified parked object) the one below a mortal 997.

As you can see (beyond any reasonable doubt) the lines one the 997 are perfectly congruent with the lines of the UPO.
    The spy photo is taken slightly from above, hence the mirrors' "high" position compared to the 997 pic.
    I have also compensated for the wide angle lens used on the UPO.
    (Using spherize in Photoshop, making it less bloated)

Quad erat demostrandum: The UPO is a normal 997 as far as body width is concerned.
    And now we can all get on with your lives again

Doc Piddy.

Quote:
    Ray G said:
    Quote:
    Holminator said:
    Quote:
    WC996 said:

I saw this car in person. Those are some kind of telemetry antennae mounts. The antennae are unscrewed and laying on the front pass seat. There is black tape running down the right side of the rear window. In the back seat is a wooden platform with some kind of transmitter.

I re-evaluated my position and discovered I'M WRONG! I guess that is a wide body. Thanks for helping me understand comrades!

Quote:
    Holminator said:
    I re-evaluated my position and discovered I'M WRONG! I guess that is a wide body. Thanks for helping me understand comrades!

Eh?
    Holm, I dont get it. If you think the car on the "spyphoto" is NOT a widebody, I totally agreee with you.

huh? im lost

Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    huh? im lost

I said, I think it's a wide body now. I'm a convert/sucker.

Ok, so you dont think the pictures above clearly demonstrates that the car is NOT a widebody version of a 997?
    (Can I make that question anymore rhetorical? Hehe..)

Ladies & Gentelmen: We have a hung jury .

I think Dr. Phil did a great job, it is just a normal 997.

Quote:
    muhri said:

I posted the original pictures. I was there and touched the car. Dr Phil was on the other side of the world. I find it laughable that he thinks he knows what this car is! Others have seen the car and posted here too. The little diagram Dr Phil did doesn't prove anything because each car's image can be scaled independently, plus he used a photoshop plugin (spherize) to distort the image by some factor he just made up.

Go look at the good images on rennlist.

Ray, nobody accuses you of anything. I can't tell you more and I know that people don't like "knowing it all" type of people but I can assure you that the car you saw was NO widebody. Please don't feel offended, your pictures are nice and you caught something special...but no widebody.

Quote:
    Ray G said:
    Quote:
    muhri said:

I posted the original pictures. I was there and touched the car. Dr Phil was on the other side of the world. I find it laughable that he thinks he knows what this car is! Others have seen the car and posted here too. The little diagram Dr Phil did doesn't prove anything because each car's image can be scaled independently, plus he used a photoshop plugin (spherize) to distort the image by some factor he just made up.

Go look at the good images on rennlist.

Please take it easy.
    I didnt post the pics to prove myself right (although I'm never wrong..hehe), but simply to establish if the car is a widebody or not.
    It was not a personal attack on you whatsoever.

The sperize-effect I used, was a 10% effect, that didnt change the proportions of the car, but merely compensated for the lens being somewhat wide-angled.

Your're absolutely right I wasnt there when you saw it.
    All I'm saying is that according to normal geometric laws and making an objective comparison between the two cars seen from behind, I would say it isn't a widebody.
    I didn't see the car from the side or front, so maybe the car is different looking on site.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Please don't feel offended, your pictures are nice and you caught something special...but no widebody.

So what is then the UPO on the picture. "Something special" but no widebody

RC im I putting to much into your letters ?

Jezzz, the guy has a 997 and he saw the car with his own eyes. Then another boarder goes there to see the car and confirms in WIDE WORDS car is indeed wider, what more do you guys need to know

J.Seven

No I don't think these pic's are any wider than the current 997. The rear tail lights are always larger than normal, on the widebody.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Ray, nobody accuses you of anything. I can't tell you more and I know that people don't like "knowing it all" type of people but I can assure you that the car you saw was NO widebody. Please don't feel offended, your pictures are nice and you caught something special...but no widebody.

Everybody has some informations, more or less reliable. I have an information that there will be a wide body car. This car should be presented after the introduction of the new 997 turbo and will be 30 mm wider then the actual 997.

But i doubt that this car is on test drives without an camouflage, but who knows?!?

AM

Quote:
    RC said:

Ah-ha! I knew it! (This thread cracks me up!)

Quote:
    mumbasic said: I have an information that there will be a wide body car. This car should be presented after the introduction of the new 997 turbo and will be 30 mm wider then the actual 997.

That makes sense, a carrera "widebody-look" but AFTER the real widebody, aka the Turbo version, maybe in 2007. We should start seeing the Turbo more often way before we see any carrera widebodies.

Quote:
    Ladies & Gentelmen: We have a hung jury

First we've got people halfway around the globe questioning the girth of the rear haunches of a 997. NOW, we've got somebody from lord-knows-where making blind insinuations as to the common ampleness of our God-given private endowments!!! The NERVE!!!!

RC,

You are unclear. Looking at these pics, the car is wider in the fenders. Ok so it may not be a "widebody" per se, if that's not what Porsche is calling it, BUT whatever Porsche is going to call it C4S, C2S, widebody, wb or whatever, are you saying that these 2 cars in this picture have the identical rear fenders, you don't think that the car in the top picture has a wider rear fender than the one below?

It sounds like you are "hiding" something.

To me it sounds like you know what the car is, and further it seems like you are saying, in a round about way, that the Turbo will have even wider rear fenders than these depicted here, UNLIKE the 996 line where the Turbo had the same width fenders as the C4S.

So for the 997 we will have standard width (997, 997S) and than a wider width for maybe a (997 C4, or C4S, or maybe another designation) an even wider width for the 997 Turbo.

Because you do say he caught something special - so it is definitely no standard width 997.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780771 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442530 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263318 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261646 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85776 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5907 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881392 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818772 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM