Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

Oh, wow, do we see you some day "protesting" in front of your Porsche dealership with a sign holding above your head...? CNN: Breaking news: Porsche fugitive protests in front of Porsche dealer revving his R8"... you should further work on it, kind of interesting thought ...Smiley

d997h:

Oh, wow, do we see you some day "protesting" in front of your Porsche dealership with a sign holding above your head...? CNN: Breaking news: Porsche fugitive protests in front of Porsche dealer revving his R8"... you should further work on it, kind of interesting thought ...Smiley

Smiley Smiley I was kidding of course but I really think that the R8 is the 960 Porsche needs. I do not understand Audi's decision to build such a car but I certainly appreciate it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Of course, I was kidding !! Still, why do you see this many people showing interest in this thread...? It is quite obvious that there seems to be a lot of interest for a Porsche "R8" - though, I would like to have a bit more space then for the luggage... Smiley

d997h:

Of course, I was kidding !! Still, why do you see this many people showing interest in this thread...? It is quite obvious that there seems to be a lot of interest for a Porsche "R8" - though, I would like to have a bit more space then for the luggage... Smiley

People are curious why a Porsche nut like me would choose an Audi as a sports car. I get that. This is not your typical Audi though and while the 991.2 Turbo S isn't slower than my R8, the fascination and the emotional part speaks for the R8.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    This is not your typical Audi though...

Right, because with Audi Quattro whichever axle has the motor tends to slide well before the other axle.  And this is the only Audi Quattro ever with the correct axle connected to the engine.  Smiley

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    RC:
    This is not your typical Audi though...

Right, because with Audi Quattro whichever axle has the motor tends to slide well before the other axle.  And this is the only Audi Quattro ever with the correct axle connected to the engine.  Smiley

Audi doesn't even make this car...I had to learn that the Quattro GmbH is an independent company, similar to AMG. The  current R8 road car shares more than 50% of the parts with the race version LMS and around 70% of the parts with the Lamborghini Huracan. The V10 engine is used in it's entire original state (up to the last bolt) in the LMS race car. Only exception is the fuel injection system and the power (585 hp instead of 610 hp because of restrictions in that particular racing class). Yes, I am very enthusiastic about this car but I still love Porsche of course. I am just afraid that Porsche could loose their touch with all those SUVs and sedans they make lately. Luckily, they seem to be responsible for the sports cars in the VW Group but so far, I haven't seen much of it (I guess a lot flies under the radar for various reasons).

--

I still want a photo-shop of your car with the Porsche hood emblem.  Please... it sends a message and would look great.

d997h:

SmileySmiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

RC:

Exciting news...there is another new R8 V10 Plus in this forum...stay tuned. blush

Well, the other guy just outed himself Smiley

Conny997. In Red.

--

You nailed it. Smiley

Yes I confess in an hardcore Porscheforum to have signed the contract for an Audi R8 V10 Plus yesterday. Smiley

Delivery will be next week. Color is "Dynamitred". Of course I will post pics by the end of the next week. By the way it's my first Audi so far after 30 years of owning Porsche. Never was a Audi fan but the R8 convinced me completely. Driving a sports car should be just for fun. The emotional side is that was is missing on a current 911 TTS for example. Drive the Audi R8 und you will know what I'm talking aboutSmiley

Special thanks to Christian for his valuable input in this forum, his knowledgeable review and with a lot of technical details regarding the R8. I got the idea to even look at the R8 just from his posts.Smiley

I'm sure I will not regret. 

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016) BMW 740xDrive (2016)

Christian, Porsche will not be happy with you. indecision..

Nice one, Conny..kiss...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

throt:

Nice one, Conny..kiss...

I still have my 991.1 GTS Cab and I think Conny still has his Turbo S, so... Smiley

It isn't my fault: The GT3 RS is too extreme and straight line performance isn't at super sportscar level. The new Turbo S is boring as hell when you are looking for a weekend fun car. So whats the alternative? Smiley

A "960" is overdue... 

--

RC:
    throt:

Nice one, Conny..kiss...

A "960" is overdue... 

And for a bundle more cash than a GT3/RS and R8 ....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Btw: I just returned from my house after getting an alarm SMS on my phone.

Only real life can write such a story:

After I got the alarm SMS, I drove over to my house to see what is going on. Usually, if the panic or intruder alarm isn't activated, the police stays away and a security company guard shows up.

Well...when I arrived at my house, I found that "curious" neighbor in handcuffs in front of my garage and three police patrol cars as well. Of course that neighbor had no shirt on... 

What had happened? The alarm sounded because my wife left a window open and I didn't notice it when I left. The wind closed that window and I was able to turn on the alarm when I left. A couple of hours later, the wind apparently opened that window again and the alarm sounded.

No problem, in this case, the security company sends a car, they have a key and they check the house.

My "curious" neighbor however thought there is an intruder in the back of the house. So he climbed the fence and walked around the house to the back. The problem is: There are intruder sensors throughout the garden. mail  So he triggered the intruder alarm and the police was alerted automatically.

When the police arrived, they "caught" my neighbor climbing back over the fence and they thought he is the intruder because he had no shirt on.  So they handcuffed him.

It was so embarrassing...I had to walk with six police officers through the house (I knew that the first alarm was triggered by an open window in the first floor but I didn't know how and why...), two more officers were keeping my neighbor handcuffed in a patrol car (although I told them he is my neighbor) and when I realized what has happened (window open...), it was very embarrassing as well and I apologized a thousand times.

Then, finally, they released my neighbor and everything was good. Unfortunately I will get a 160 EUR bill from the police (this is the standard fine for a false alarm, even if it wasn't my fault) and a 60 EUR bill from my security company because they also had to send a guard. Of course I will not let my neighbor pay this (he offered to pay the police bill...) but it was quite the excitement for the day. 

Neighbors...they can be fun too.  angry

--

throt:
    RC:
    throt:

Nice one, Conny..kiss...

A "960" is overdue... 

I still get mixed signals from my contacts at Porsche but it seems pretty sure that a "960" is coming. Not sure however which platform it will use...probably not the one the R8 and the Huracan share, it is too late for that (I think).

The engine choice will be important as well: If they choose a turbo charged V6, it will not be very successful. If they choose a turbo charged V8, very likely under 4.0 liters, it needs to sound "right". Won't be easy. I do not think that Porsche will use the Lambo V10 or any n/a engine for the upcoming 960, which is sad. Of course Porsche could use that fabulous 4.6 l V8 from the 918 but... Smiley With 650 hp, this could be an amazing product and Porsche could easily ask a base price of 230-250k EUR for it.

--

RC:

Then, finally, they released my neighbor and everything was good. Unfortunately I will get a 160 EUR bill from the police (this is the standard fine for a false alarm, even if it wasn't my fault)

--

That's not expensive for that show. I would pay much more for seeing my neighbors in handcuffs SmileySmiley

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Conny997:
    RC:

Then, finally, they released my neighbor and everything was good. Unfortunately I will get a 160 EUR bill from the police (this is the standard fine for a false alarm, even if it wasn't my fault)

--

That's not expensive for that show. I would pay much more for seeing my neighbors in handcuffs SmileySmiley

Smiley Smiley Should have taken a photo (my son just asked and was deeply disappointed...the days of social media... Smiley). Smiley

--

Hahaha,,

What a coincidence. With all the talking about ""binocular man"" yesterday. Handcuffs indecision..

Jeeps, you should call him Tarzan. He should be careful though, it could have been intruders all boozed and drugged up . And thats when its gets all ugly.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

RC:
    throt:
    RC:
    throt:

Nice one, Conny..kiss...

A "960" is overdue... 

I still get mixed signals from my contacts at Porsche but it seems pretty sure that a "960" is coming. Not sure however which platform it will use...probably not the one the R8 and the Huracan share, it is too late for that (I think).

The engine choice will be important as well: If they choose a turbo charged V6, it will not be very successful. If they choose a turbo charged V8, very likely under 4.0 liters, it needs to sound "right". Won't be easy. I do not think that Porsche will use the Lambo V10 or any n/a engine for the upcoming 960, which is sad. Of course Porsche could use that fabulous 4.6 l V8 from the 918 but... Smiley With 650 hp, this could be an amazing product and Porsche could easily ask a base price of 230-250k EUR for it.

Lovely. I would guess around 300k EUR for it..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

RC:

... My "curious" neighbor however thought there is an intruder in the back of the house. So he climbed the fence and walked around the house to the back. ...

That's his "story" at least.

Conny997:

You nailed it. Smiley

Yes I confess in an hardcore Porscheforum to have signed the contract for an Audi R8 V10 Plus yesterday. Smiley

Delivery will be next week. Color is "Dynamitred". Of course I will post pics by the end of the next week. By the way it's my first Audi so far after 30 years of owning Porsche. Never was a Audi fan but the R8 convinced me completely. Driving a sports car should be just for fun. The emotional side is that was is missing on a current 911 TTS for example. Drive the Audi R8 und you will know what I'm talking aboutSmiley

Special thanks to Christian for his valuable input in this forum, his knowledgeable review and with a lot of technical details regarding the R8. I got the idea to even look at the R8 just from his posts.Smiley

I'm sure I will not regret. 

Many congrats ConnySmiley hope to see some pics of it in red and read your impressions as well Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

RC, I disagree about Porsche needing a 960. Leave that to the R8 and Huracan. What they need is a 911 R with PDK and maybe 4 seats and convertible, NA engine and great sound, not limited production. They need a 911 halo car that people can live with (i.e. not looking as aggressive as GT3 variants) and that is large on emotions and fun to drive, the opposite of the TTS...

The 960 selling close to $300k when you have the correct options would be a hard sell and wouldn't help Porsche marketing strategy.

SciFrog:

RC, I disagree about Porsche needing a 960. Leave that to the R8 and Huracan. .... The 960 selling close to $300k when you have the correct options would be a hard sell and wouldn't help Porsche marketing strategy.

I agree with this analysis; also Porsche have staked their engine future on turbos now, hard to go back to NA with just one car - they would be more likely IMO to do a hybrid to have a more "unique" selling proposition.   Audi on the other hand have made a bet on the appeal of their very special V10 engine - if the market responds well Audi management will be happy to have made this bet, and only then, maybe, will other makers possibly reconsider their rush to turbos.   

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

To be honest it is only a matter of time before the R8 goes turbo or hybrid or even all electric...

Carlos from Spain:

Many congrats ConnySmiley hope to see some pics of it in red and read your impressions as well Smiley

Thanks a lot. Today I got a fixed delivery date for the middle of next week. A few days later I will be happy to describe my first impressions. Unfortunately, at the moment the 19-inch wheels (standard) are mounted.

R8 Standard Wheel lateral.png

The 20-inch Y-spoke in gloss anthracite are ordered but have delivery time to mid-August earliest 

R8 20 Zoll Y black Wheel lateral.png

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Excellent choice of car and I love that red color! many congrats Conny!

To be honest however, I do prefer the design of the 19" wheels and that they're not completely black angry

Thanks.Smiley
    Well of course the wheels are always matter of personal taste. But wait for the real pics. You must see it in the flesh. 

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Conny997:

Thanks.Smiley
    Well of course the wheels are always matter of personal taste. But wait for the real pics. You must see it in the flesh. 

I love those 20" wheels in black with that exterior red, great combination, will look great in real life... but then what can I say, I'm biased to that combo Smiley 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

RC:

Why not the twin (or quad) turbocharged Flat-8 that has been rumored for years?  This seems like the right answer to me (and an NA verison in the GT3, if I had anything to say about it...)

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I like the top wheel pic better, fwiw...kiss..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689059 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408944 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255639 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234891 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65477 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857774 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773750 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM