Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

kiss The reason I don't socialize easily with other people is simple: I don't have time and I have certain interests many other people don't share. I talk to at least 50 people per day in my business, I discuss with them their health, private stuff, the weather and I am joking with them. When I get home, I'm fed up with this stuff, I just want to talk to my kids and my wife, no one else. 

Also, I started to set priorities: I love talking to people with common interests (cars, gadgets) but I hate it to talk to people who think they like cars or gadgets but don't have a clue about it. During that block party, I had to listen to a former car mechanic and his Porsche and sports cars "knowledge". 90% of the stuff he said was pure BS (I know Porsche cars well...) but I had to refrain from correcting him because I knew that he was a little bit drunk and he would act aggressively. Also, his wife and another neighbor were listening to his stories as well, so I didn't want to sound arrogant. Do you know how difficult it is to sit almost an hour to somebody like that and listen to his crap? Whenever I tried to shift the discussion into the "right" direction, he ignored what I said and continued with his BS. yes No fun at all.

I need people at "my" level of car passion, not someone who once sat in a 993 ten years ago and now thinks he is a Porsche or sports car expert. angry Then he told me that he met Walter Röhrl a couple of years ago and that he always dreamt of driving with him once in a car. I mentioned that I drove with him a couple of times but he continued talking and talking and couldn't care less, so he clearly wasn't interested in any "experience" exchange but just wanted to brag about his Porsche experience. I mean c'mon, my 991 GTS was parked five meters from the table away (my wife parked it there, not me). yes No, I had nothing in common with these people and I know how this sounds but please, do not misunderstand me. There just was no common ground.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

The most precious thing I own is time. I never let anyone waste it. kiss

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

nberry:

Now you'e talking... Smiley Smiley

It is one thing to post stuff on the internet, I can do that between my work schedule and while working and another thing to sit an hour or longer on a chair, face to face with other people, to smile and to refrain from saying something wrong. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    nberry:

Now you'e talking... Smiley Smiley

It is one thing to post stuff on the internet, I can do that between my work schedule and while working and another thing to sit an hour or longer on a chair, face to face with other people, to smile and to refrain from saying something wrong. Smiley Smiley

This is a definite age thing, guys. I am 51 yrs in December and tbh the older i get the more I can't stand sitting and talking to someone else about something that I know is pure BS. I just do not do gossip , at all, I have no interest in finding out about peoples wealth and what they own. 

But times have changed so much now with regard to peoples priorities. Many start a family in their 40's. I even know Dads that are around my age with babies.Smiley. I am the other end. I was a very young Dad. So , sports cars and luxury items are very secondary thing and the main talk is about children , children and more children Smiley.  So, many guys I know have normal cars and very young kids Smiley

Maybe I am a miserable old git too though, time will tell Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

throt:

Smiley Smiley I know, it is quite difficult to find people with the same passion for cars...and without bragging about their own all the time. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    throt:

Smiley Smiley I know, it is quite difficult to find people with the same passion for cars...and without bragging about their own all the time. Smiley Smiley

I was laughing reading your post above about the mechanic. He most probably see the GTS and was trying to provoke you in to saying something Smiley , because of the damn booze Smiley.  You should have mentioned Rennteam to him Smiley, as he was in to Porsche's.Smiley.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

No way would I mention Rennteam to them...I don't want them to be here. angry

No, he didn't want to provoke me, he was just a bit drunk and wanted to brag. Nice guy actually but when you are a Porsche and sports car nut like I am, it is difficult to bear when he tells you stuff you know isn't true and you cannot correct him without looking like an arrogant all-knowing ass to the others at the table. yes So I shut up. Funny: My son always looked at me like "why the heck don't you say something..." but I couldn't explain to him why.

--

I totally understand you letting him get on with it indecision. Your boy wouldn't, he wanted you to show your knowledge, your his Dad kiss.

Just let the Mrs go on her own next time, thats what I do. ""Hang on"", they definitely discuss that indecision...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

nberry:

Wise sentence.

--

J.Seven

Christian, it could be worse in your neighborhoods social milieu, imagine if your wife was 20 years younger than you how they would talk.indecision Been there and done that. At that party all of the wives would have their cat claws out and the guys either stfu or get very polite. People are funny,it is usually all about them but if the visuals self intimidate them, oh boy. Your neighbors seem like a bunch of well employed snoops and creepers. I wouldn't trust them too much they would turn on you in a finster.

JimFlat6:

Christian, it could be worse in your neighborhoods social milieu, imagine if your wife was 20 years younger than you how they would talk.indecision Been there and done that. At that party all of the wives would have their cat claws out and the guys either stfu or get very polite. People are funny,it is usually all about them but if the visuals self intimidate them, oh boy. Your neighbors seem like a bunch of well employed snoops and creepers. I wouldn't trust them too much they would turn on you in a finster.

Yes, the first wives club is a nasty bunch!  Smiley  My wife is more likely to hang out with their kids. Smiley

RC:

How do you know they aren't? devil

I mean, your house is under surveillance, someone may have a tap on your internet connection, and even with encrypted traffic, they can see the IPs. Not to make you paranoid, of course. 

I had chance to drive the R8 plus the other day back to back with my 650S.  BOY I was impressed with this car!!!  so smooth and sooo exciting.....  been driving 650S for a while now, and got used to the behavior, and jump straight into R8, its just soo smooth and reacts soo different than 650S.  The jump from last R8 to this new one is incredibly huge!!  the car is a complete different machine and that gear box I must say changes gear lightening speed.... I think it might be faster than 650S in gear change.  the power delivery is just smooth and NA, keep that in high RPM, regardless of the speed, it feels exciting at all time....  the sound is epic....   for the price, its a better car than 570S I think.  570S is certainly faster and has its own character, but if I would get an NA car, this is it.  not flashy like the F12 with its higher pitch sound and double the price.  this thing certainly does the job for the V10 sound.   incredible!!!    However, its not fast as 650S, but certainly not far behind with 570S.  soo stable and feels safe!!     

Sounds good. Thanks for your impression kiss

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW Grand Coupe 650i xDrive

Its sounding better and better. Never driven one but I always have loved the interiors of the RS variants. Would love a go in a R8. It just seems to tick every box from a practical stand point without losing its sports pedigree.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

apias:
    RC:

I mean, your house is under surveillance, someone may have a tap on your internet connection, and even with encrypted traffic, they can see the IPs. Not to make you paranoid, of course. 

While I know that you're joking, it is impossible. Smiley

Well, if you think I have paranoia...the neighbors told us all the little details (the wonders of alcohol loosening tongues Smiley), so yes, they are watching our house. When my daughter heard that the neighbor watches her dancing, she got really freaked out. Why? She dances in the attic, we have a huge area there (over 100 square meters) and to be able to see her dancing from the angle of the neighbor (his window is lower), he needs to use binoculars. Not creepy at all, I know. Smiley They are curious, I get it and maybe bored but we never watch the other neighbors, so yes, we have a bad feeling about that.

--

Conny997:

Sounds good. Thanks for your impression kiss

Smiley

--

RC:
    apias:
    RC:

While I know that you're joking, it is impossible. Smiley

When my daughter heard that the neighbor watches her dancing, she got really freaked out. Why? She dances in the attic, we have a huge area there (over 100 square meters) and to be able to see her dancing from the angle of the neighbor (his window is lower), he needs to use binoculars. Not creepy at all, I know. Smiley They are curious, I get it and maybe bored but we never watch the other neighbors, so yes, we have a bad feeling about that.

--

""He"", I wouldn't be impressed with him watching my girl, buddy.. Smiley..

Better watch that dude...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

He watches everyone, he is an old and bored guy...but my girl is scared of him anyway, so... 

I guess people need a hobby... yes

--

That's more than a little creepy.

apias:

His home office window is exactly on the opposite side of my house and the front windows.

It is more creepy that he always hangs out there in his underwear (not naked though... Smiley) and sometimes, when he comes out to talk to me or my wife, he doesn't have a shirt on. Even when it is only 15°C outside... Smiley

He is harmless but quite a tool. Smiley Oh, he is almost 70, married and has an older daughter as well.

--

Our back gardens backs on to other back gardens and the lady 2 doors from me reckons she has spotted some dude with binoculars looking up towards the back of our houses. She has a 20 yr old daughter and she uses the back bedroom which could be seen from the opposite backed on houses. His probably having a perv at her.

Either that , or its me his looking at, prancing around in my budgie smugglers heart..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

RC:
    apias:

It is more creepy that he always hangs out there in his underwear

--

Don't go to no more neighbourhood parties , buddy. Smiley.....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:
    RC:
    apias:

It is more creepy that he always hangs out there in his underwear

--

Don't go to no more neighbourhood parties , buddy. Smiley.....

Smiley No, seriously...this guy is harmless. I know him for over 30 years. He is just curious, he can probably name every single rose type and color in our garden. Smiley The whole town knows him, this is just his way.

I leave the future bragging and future block parties to my McLaren neighbor... Smiley Let him take the heat. Smiley Smiley

--

Maybe it's time for blinds or curtains in the attic.

apias:

We have blinds but it gets pretty steamy there if the windows aren't cracked open in summer, so...

No A/C in most German houses I'm afraid but last year, we came close to installing a system because we had over 35-40°C (over 100°F) for six weeks and more. Smiley Cost to install a house-wide A/C system would have been around 20k EUR. Not worth it for a couple of hot days per year.

--

RC:
    apias:

We have blinds but it gets pretty steamy there if the windows aren't cracked open in summer, so...

No A/C in most German houses I'm afraid but last year, we came close to installing a system because we had over 35-40°C (over 100°F) for six weeks and more. Smiley Cost to install a house-wide A/C system would have been around 20k EUR. Not worth it for a couple of hot days per year.

--

I have AC throughout the house, yes, here in the UK. We have quite a few clammy nights here and it is brilliant for getting a good nights sleep. Had it for the past 20 year and yes its quite rare here to, but catching on slowly.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Exciting news...there is another new R8 V10 Plus in this forum...stay tuned. blush

--

Does that means this forum has changed from Porsche centric to Volvo and R8 centric?

--

Whoopsy:

Does that means this forum has changed from Porsche centric to Volvo and R8 centric?

Well, I wouldn't go as far as Volvo but... Smiley Smiley

The R8 is my personal "protest" against Porsche's lack of a 960 and the proper exhaust/engine sound. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760827 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434446 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260054 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257186 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80773 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871358 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806563 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM