Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Coilovers set up.....or PASM????

If I decide to go for Boxster, do you suggest me that a coilovers set-up is better than PASM??
    I know that KW produces adjustable coilovers, the better(and personal) choice for personal setting.
    So for you, which ones is the best and what offers more than others???
    I'm searching for adjustable coilovers, to have more choice
    The battle is between:

KW

Bilstein

Koni (I don't know if there are adjustables)

Fk

Thank you so much and excuse my english.

Re: Coilovers set up.....or PASM????

Who knows how coil overs compare to PASM since I doubt anyone has compared the two, but my guess is that since coil overs will be stiffer than PASM, lower CG and also traditional type shock-spring, they should be better handling in its sportiest height and dampnings settings. But be aware that in order to achieve the better handling you will get a very stiff ride, and also every time you want to change the height (if you want to anyway) you will have to take it to the shop and have it corner balanced as well. And PASM being such a capable suspension already, coil overs would be moe for track enthusiasts and the like or those who want the very low ride height look, otherwise PASM should be fine IMO and coil overs overkill.

As to the brands, I would look into Bilstein, since not only do they make suspensions for Porsche (the factory 996's M030 sport suspension's shocks are by Bilstein) but also people seem to be very happy with the PSS9 coil over kit from Bilstein. There is already a PSS9 kit for the 997, so there should be one for the 987 as well alreday I suppose.

I suggest you try PASM and then decide if you need a sportier setup, becuase PASM tends to surprise people how good it is, even though for myself I still preffer the -20mm/rear LSD suspension.

Thanks Carlos.
    What about Ohlins??? I know that Ruf uses these. Are they adjustables????

Quote:
    andrea said:
    If I decide to go for Boxster, do you suggest me that a coilovers set-up is better than PASM??
    I know that KW produces adjustable coilovers, the better(and personal) choice for personal setting.
    The battle is between:

KW

Bilstein

Fk

Are you SURE you want a Boxster and not a Lotus Exige / Elise?

It really depends what you want. It is difficult to get a much better setup from coilover kits because Porsche is well known of designing and testing their suspensions very very well. A coilover kit has the advantage of adjustments to certain tracks, a huge advantage if you're racing your car. PASM or not PASM? Difficult to say. I would probably choose it, especially on the Boxster. The only disadvantage of PASM: you can't install a coilover kit if you want to.

And if you're more into looks (much lower ride height)than into performance, PASM is the wrong choice. On the other hand, the Boxster isn't actually made for racing and going for coilover kits which lower the car too much could have a serious impact on chassis rigidity, roof mechanism and noises.
    From my past experience, I would stay with Porsche suspension setups. When I installed the H&R coilover kit on my 996 Turbo, I loved the setup. But afterwards I drove the Porsche sport suspension kit for the 996 Turbo and I've been shocked by the PERFECT setup compared to the H&R coilover kit. If I wouldn't have sold my 996 Turbo, I would have removed the H&R coilover kit and gone for the Porsche sport kit.

I know that many people believe that installing a coilover kit will enhance performance but they couldn't be more wrong on a Porsche. Stiff and low ride height doesn't mean that a car handles better on the track, something especially amateur race drivers still have to learn.

Thanks RC, I understood what you said.

Quote:
    andrea said:
    Thanks Carlos.
    What about Ohlins??? I know that Ruf uses these. Are they adjustables????

Ohlins are some of the VERY best shocks in the world. They are very expensive too (around $10k for their best) and have multiple adjustments (height, Low Speed compression, High Speed Compression, Rebound). They have outboard nitrogen resevoirs that can be filled to varying pressures to act as additional (or less) spring as well. These are really designed for racing...

There are now 4-way adjustable Motons available too
    http://www.motonsuspension.com/

I just posted this for fun (and for racers), but RC is correct that the factory stuff is probably the right decision for a Boxster that will not be converted to a racecar...

Thanks Grant for your precious info.
    Let me asking one thing enough:
    for you(or other people of rennteam) which is the best???
    KW
    BILSTEIN
    OHLINS

Thanks

Of those 3, I think the Ohlins triple adjustables are the best. Moton 4-ways may be even better though...

I really don't understand all this talk about changing suspension. As RC has said Porsche's various suspensions are as near perfect as you can get. With or without PASM. Why change it? If you want to fiddle and go non - standard with something as fundamental as the suspension, surely you bought the wrong car?

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    andrea said:
    The battle is between:

KW

Bilstein

Fk

Are you SURE you want a Boxster and not a Lotus Exige / Elise?

Yeah gotta agree with you there dude!

If your buying the car for track work then I'd definately check out an Exige over the boxster.

For me the exige is a proper mini racercar whilst the Boxster is more of a street racer.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    I really don't understand all this talk about changing suspension. As RC has said Porsche's various suspensions are as near perfect as you can get. With or without PASM. Why change it? If you want to fiddle and go non - standard with something as fundamental as the suspension, surely you bought the wrong car?

Dreamcar - I also said that I think these systems are overkill (or even worse than stock if not properly tuned) for a streetcar. But for the track, there is no comparison. One of these perfectly tuned systems is worth several seconds/lap on a 1.5 minute course...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Dreamcar - I also said that I think these systems are overkill (or even worse than stock if not properly tuned) for a streetcar. But for the track, there is no comparison. One of these perfectly tuned systems is worth several seconds/lap on a 1.5 minute course...

BUT the Boxster is not meant to be a track car - if that's what is wanted surely a Lotus Exige would be a much better bet?

While the Exige is probably available in Italy where the question was asked, that car is not available in the US where Grant's answer came from. Also, the Exige is a very different driving experience from the Boxster, and some will prefer the feel of the Porsche. Assuming the Exige is similar to the Elise with the sport suspension, I personally like the feel, and have one on order myself, but I also would like either a new Boxster if they increase the HP, or if I find a good 914-6 with fuel injection, I will jump into that as an alternative because I also enjoy the feel of these Porsches. If I could only have one of these, I would probably go for a Porsche, and tart it up for track and autocross use.

I believe the Elise / Exige is available in the States - that's why they used the Toyota engine - to comply with the strict emission regs over there.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    I believe the Elise / Exige is available in the States - that's why they used the Toyota engine - to comply with the strict emission regs over there.

The Toyota powered Elise is here now, but we don't yet have an Exige (maybe for 2006?)

Would argue that you should ask yourself whether knowledge and time is at hand to get the possible out of such a coilover system. As said earlier you might get a noticeple (?) saving from such a coilover set but it might not work on the track where you go next weekend where a completely different setup is needed.

I would stay with the original options, and only if going serious racing/tracking in a car made for that purpose I would consider such things as the coilover set.

Thomas

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

The Toyota powered Elise is here now, but we don't yet have an Exige (maybe for 2006?)

An Elise 111R with bog-standard suspension would eat a Porsche Boxster with any suspension you would care to put on it on a tight circuit. Don't even think of taking on an Exige.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

An Elise 111R with bog-standard suspension would eat a Porsche Boxster with any suspension you would care to put on it on a tight circuit. Don't even think of taking on an Exige.

I'm sure you're right about that. I haven't driven an Elise yet, but I think my 73 911 with less weight and 50hp more will still give it a good run

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

I'm sure you're right about that. I haven't driven an Elise yet, but I think my 73 911 with less weight and 50hp more will still give it a good run

I wouldn't stake too much money on that statement, not if I was you.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

... you haven't seen Grant's '73 911

I wanna a Boxster not an Elise/Exige.
    Please, which ones is the best????
    KW
    OHLINS
    BILSTEIN

Thanks

Quote:
    andrea said:
    I wanna a Boxster not an Elise/Exige.
    Please, which ones is the best????
    KW
    OHLINS
    BILSTEIN

Thanks

Boxster S on either standard Porsche suspension or PASM. It ain't broke so don't fix it. The Boxster is not, nor has it ever intended to be, a serious track car.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

... you haven't seen Grant's '73 911

Granted (sorry).

Check these pics out, you will fall in love!

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=54102&page=&fpart=1&vc=1

Thanks Carlos

Also, in a new magazine I just read - R&T perhaps, the Boxster S had a better lap time than the Elise with Sport suspension, so perhaps I had better watch out for them when I am in the Elise!!

Also - Grant's car would certainly rip the heart out of an Exige or Elise and spit it on the track. Now if I can find the right 914-6 on the other hand, well????

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752970 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430646 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258561 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255443 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868248 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801791 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM