Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Option questions: please HELP spec my 997!

First, thanks to all here for putting together a great group -- with valuable info about these great cars -- that is (thankfully) lacking the typical BS that often occurs online...

I am ordering a 997S and have some questions about options. My primary goal is optimizing performance, though I still want the car to be pleasant to drive on the street. Very sporty but not a full-on track car, in other words.

I'm interested in the following performance options:
    Sport Chrono Pkg. Plus (640)
    Sport shifter (XCZ)
    PCCB/Ceramic Brakes (450)
    Sports Exhaust (XLF)
    Sports Steering Wheel (XPA)
    Adaptive Sports Seats (P01)

Any opinions about these would be truly helpful to me. Such as:
    1.) Does anyone have experience with the sport shifter or sports exhaust? I think the shifter should be a good addition but am uncertain about the exhuast -- is it worth $2,400? Does it only change the exhaust note without altering/improving the performance of the car?
    2.) The PCCB sounds like a big hit pricewise, but is it true that the current generation of this technology has fixed the "bugs" of the previous generation? At first I thought the price was exorbitant, but then I see people paying $4K for nice wheels when the PCCB package will reduce unsprung weight more than any wheel mod. Have there been any tests quantifying the difference in braking distances between PCCB and conventional brakes? What about brake noise? Also, is it true that with PCCB you get almost no brake dust? Finally, do the unsprung weight savings drastically improve the car's handling?
    3.) I want the Adaptive Sports Seats because I'm 6'7" (2 meters) tall. I've never been able to consider a pre-997 911 as I could never fit. I'm deleting the sunroof to gain headroom -- though I fit with the sunroof it's a bit tight. So, would these seats be the best choice for my circumstances?

PART TWO: Luxury options...
    I am looking at the following non-essential (from a performance standpoint) goodies:

Nav module for PCM
    BOSE surround sound system
    CD changer
    Heated seats
    Black instrument dials
    Auto dim int/ext mirrors
    ParkAssist
    Door entry guards/Stainless Steel
    19-inch Sport Design Wheel
    Wheel center set
    Aluminum footrest

My concern with this group of options is increasing the weight of the car. Does anyone have a handle for how much weight the BOSE system (extra speakers and amplifiers, right?), CD changer, and NAV system might add? I've installed top-line systems in previous cars, and they always seemed to add quite a bit of bulk...

Thanks (in advance) for any help you might offer!

Ray

Re: Option questions: please HELP spec my 997!

My opinions only:

1. Sport Chrono=must have
    2. Short shifter=nice to have (the standard 997S shifter is significantly shorter than the 996 shifter)
    3. PCCB=definitely optional IMHO. Very nice for fade free braking, but for me not worth it for $8k.
    4. Sports exhuast=definitely optional IMHO. Sound only, no performance gain.
    5. Sport steering wheel=I prefered the multifunction wheel.
    6. Adaptive sport seats=must have. By far the nicest seats in a sports car that I have sat in.

Parking assist means holes in back bumper. Not very pretty. do you really need it? I'd get it if I were parellel parking every day. Every other day? No.

Thanks, alin2 -- appreciate your input!

I definitely agree about Sport Chrono; that's a must. But I'm still trying to decide about PCCB. It would be wonderful to drive two 997s back to back -- one with PCCB and one with standard brakes. Since this is not going to be a track car (well, maybe occasionally but not often) the PCCB may just be overkill. On the other hand, I love to drive the Pacific Coast Highway, which weaves along the Pacific coast north of San Francisco. Very hilly, tight, and winding, and great brakes are mandatory.

Thanks for the exhaust info. Dealers have told me this improves performance, but they often seem to be uninformed. If it only improves the sound then I probably won't bite...

The steering wheel probably depends on what other options I get on the car. With NAV and BOSE I'd probably opt for the multifunction wheel...

About the Adaptive sport seats -- thanks, that's great to hear. That's sounding more like a must have to me too. My dealer is going to let me know the next time they have a car with these seats; I want to see if they help accommodate my height.

...and thanks MMD. I think you're right; I'm very careful about parking my cars and would very rarely be parallel parking. Maybe Porsche should simply offer a backup camera -- these seem to give you more information while being less intrusive...

As I understand it, PCCB will not "improve" braking distance, but will substantially improve fading with repeated hard braking.

Just did a Google search and found the following:
    http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0406ec_brakes/

Good analysis of the tradeoffs with PCCB that makes the following interesting points:

"Porsche kindly offered to install PCCB brakes for european car to test on its long-term Carrera 4S. The car's best 60 to 0 braking distance with stock brakes rounded to 112 ft (our standard braking data procedure), and its best distance rounded to 113 ft with PCCB. In both cases, performance was consistent within a few feet over five stops, with no fade. From 80 to 0, european car's long-term car stopped in 200 ft with PCCB, exactly the same as another stock Carrera 4S tested earlier at the same location. Again, there was no fade in repeated stops with either car. This braking test is clearly not a challenge for a standard Carrera 4S, and we haven't track-tested our own car with PCCB.

At our 996 Twin Turbo shootout, By Design used PCCB on its last-minute Cabriolet, with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires in stock sizes. By Design had neglected to properly break in the PCCB brakes on that car, due to time constraints, and after four laps on the track, the pads were literally on fire when Cort Wagner pulled into the pits. That didn't seem to hurt the brakes, as the car's best 60 to 0 distance was 99 ft and its best 80 to 0 distance was 182 ft, winning the braking portion of the event. This car weighed hundreds of pounds more than a Carrera 4S, showing that the best way to shorten stopping distance, once the brakes are as well dialed-in as a stock Porsche's, is to get stickier tires.

Subjectively, european car's Carrera 4S did ride noticeably less harshly over Orange County's freeway expansion joints with PCCB, due to the reduction in unsprung weight. There was, however, also a slight increase in noise as the pads swept over the holes in the PCCB rotors.

In the end, we can say that you'll have to use your Porsche considerably harder than we do to realize a significant benefit with PCCB. If that's you, let us know how it goes. However, any true Porsche fanatic will know that the yellow calipers signify Porsche's most advanced brake technology, so be prepared to answer questions in the paddock.

Porsche provided its own technician to install our PCCB system. It was much like any other brake conversion, but with a few extra pieces and cautions. Each rotor costs about as much as a typical aftermarket big-brake upgrade kit, and if you chip or crack it by dropping it, it will probably be destroyed. Have the system bled by an authorized workshop with a pressure bleeder. Porsche recommends at least 500 miles of moderate street driving to bed in the PCCB system before getting on it hard.."

remember also that the brakes they are referring to are the ones from the 996 generation, I know they have been improved but don't know to what extend, the best person to talk to is RC because he's got them.
    Personally, after a few words from my dealer (surprising as he usually wants to sell more) he does not recommend them, stating that you really need to kill the brakes to feel the difference and that after heavy track use, the PCCB also eventually wear out, and they cost a fortune to replace.
    Remember that the standard 997S brakes are the 996 Turbo brakes, pretty amazing already.
    Sport exhaust would be a must for me, true, it does not add any performance but the noise is so nice! It adds to the experience, especially when you are heel and toeing before hairpins, satisfying, that bark in the back!
    Parking sensors, don't bother, they still look ugly and the car is not huge like a 7 series or an S class.
    Stainless steel door entry, I have them on my 996 and they loos nice but you only see them when you get in and out (not even sure!) of the car. So it's up to you, not sure if I would take them now.
    I don't think the Bose and all those goodies will put on a lot of weight to the car, certainly significantly so that is hampers performance.
    Sport chrono, a must.
    Black dials, very nice!
    Sport design wheels, I love them, probably my fabourite, saw them on a car a while ago and they are the wheels that emphasize the most that they are 19 in IMHO, they look huge and magnigicent, best on a black car!
    In any case, congratulations! And welcome to Rennteam.
    BTW, I might hopefully order a 997 in the next few monts (still waiting for the engine upgrade or the MK2, we'll see) but I would order exactly like your with the addition of the sport chassis and sunroof.
    Oh and about your size, the wheel is adjustable in reach and rake and the pedals have been moved further back compared to the 996, so you're a tall person but it should be ok.

Hi Ray,

Quote:
    brt3 said:
    1.) Does anyone have experience with the sport shifter or sports exhaust? I think the shifter should be a good addition but am uncertain about the exhuast -- is it worth $2,400? Does it only change the exhaust note without altering/improving the performance of the car?

The sport exhaust offers no performance gain but just like Fanch said, it really adds to the sport experience. I haven't heard the 997 sport exhaust but as a reference, everyone I ever heard that got the sport exhaust on the 996 never regreted it! its definately worth the 2,400$ or at least better spent than in lux options.
    I have not tried the sport shifter but the stock shifter on the 997S is already much improved in that sense over the 996, so its one of those choices you have to try for your self since its so personal, also remember its a retrofit option so even if ou don't get it, you can get it later on. I may do that with my 997S after it arrives.

Sport Chrono is a must as everyone says, you will love it

Quote:
    brt3 said:
    2.) The PCCB sounds like a big hit pricewise, but is it true that the current generation of this technology has fixed the "bugs" of the previous generation? At first I thought the price was exorbitant, but then I see people paying $4K for nice wheels when the PCCB package will reduce unsprung weight more than any wheel mod. Have there been any tests quantifying the difference in braking distances between PCCB and conventional brakes? What about brake noise? Also, is it true that with PCCB you get almost no brake dust? Finally, do the unsprung weight savings drastically improve the car's handling?

This is a personal choice but IMO they are overkill and not worth the price difference. The 997S already has the 996TT's brakes while even being a lighter car on top of it, so while the PCCB's are supposedly better in terms of "fade", thats not a weak point precisely of the the 997S unlike a BMW ///M for example. Yes the do produce less brake dust and offer less unsprung weight (so would probably a set of lightweight aftermarket wheels and for less money) but to me its not worth the outrageous pricetag. But its a qustion also of the money you have for spending.

Quote:
    brt3 said:
    3.) I want the Adaptive Sports Seats because I'm 6'7" (2 meters) tall. I've never been able to consider a pre-997 911 as I could never fit. I'm deleting the sunroof to gain headroom -- though I fit with the sunroof it's a bit tight. So, would these seats be the best choice for my circumstances?

You won't regret them, you will find this thread usefull:
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=65742&an=0&page=5#65742

Quote:
    brt3 said:
    PART TWO: Luxury options...
    I am looking at the following non-essential (from a performance standpoint) goodies:

Nav module for PCM
    BOSE surround sound system
    CD changer
    Heated seats
    Black instrument dials
    Auto dim int/ext mirrors
    ParkAssist
    Door entry guards/Stainless Steel
    19-inch Sport Design Wheel
    Wheel center set
    Aluminum footrest

My concern with this group of options is increasing the weight of the car. Does anyone have a handle for how much weight the BOSE system (extra speakers and amplifiers, right?), CD changer, and NAV system might add? I've installed top-line systems in previous cars, and they always seemed to add quite a bit of bulk...

I would recomend one option that I don't see on the list, "interior leather option" would be a pity not to get on such a car, it really makes the car feel and look better IMO and such a car deserves leather interior no imitation plastic. If I was on a tight budget I would not sacrifice any of the sport options for it but I would definately sacrifice luxury options like black dials, door entry gards, etc for it. Think about it cause you can't retrofit it later on and you may regret it.

Another extra you may want to consider is the Tire Pressure Monitoring System, its very usefull and a safety feature letting you know instantly when a tire is loosing pressure on the run or if your tires pressures are too low. However I'm not sure if its available yet in the US so maybe thats why you didn't inlcude it in the list.

I wouldn't worry about the weight of the Bose and NAV, you will not notice it on the streets. An Amp, a Sub and speakers will be at most 30-40 lbs, unless you are a profesional driver using the car as a track car, for anybody else its would be a drop in the ocean. So its definately worth the weight for those times stuck in the Bay area traffic
    Since the PCM is standard in the 997S the NAV should only be the little box in the trunk the sice of a cd changer, so don't think that add much weight (I didn't get it becuase I have a PDA with GPS but otherwise I would get it).

Parkassist not only look ugly and unsporty but in my case the beeping-nannying annoys the hell out of me, but thats personal again.

Anyway, congrats on the purchase and welcome to Rennteam

Quote:
    brt3 said:
    About the Adaptive sport seats ... I want to see if they help accommodate my height.

I'm 6'4" (1,93 m).

My Porsche dealer gave me the chance to drive two different 997 launch cars a while ago.

The first one was a standard-seat 997 without too many options that stood out to me. I found it slightly uncomfortable compared to my 996TT Cab that has standard 996 seats. The basic seat comfort and support was fine, but the shin on my gas-pedal leg tended to come to rest against the not-so-soft vertical edge of the damn console. Ouch! I thought the headroom was just OK. I think a helmet would have been too tight a fit.

The second car was a 997S with adaptive sport seats. What a difference! The adaptive sport seats were the most comfortable and accommodating of any production seat in which I have ever had the pleasure to sit. Moreover, the seats offered enough lowering range that I had WAY more headroom than I needed and thought a helmet would be no problem -- even with the standard sunroof. Plus, because of the greater adjustability, my right leg had plenty of room to avoid the dreaded console annoyance.

If you're tall, DO NOT MISS OUT on the ADAPTIVE SPORT SEATS.

I would not get PCCB, unless I am getting the GT3 or the Turbo. Adaptive sport seats are must, and I would not waste money on getting the more expensive bose system.

Everyone says the adaptive seats are a must, but I haven't got them and find the standard seats very comfortable. I drove a Carrera for a few hours with the adaptive seats and whilst they were comfortable, I didn't regret my decision at all (but then I would say that wouldn't I!)

Another opinion re: park assist. I, too, thought they were kinda stupid until one day I was backing my M5 out of the garage and suddenly the sensors beeped...and I stopped quickly. My neighbors 3 year old had run across my driveway chasing a ball. I didn't see him over the trunk. Maybe I would have missed him or stopped in time...but I'm always getting ultrasound monitors from now on. They are certainly not a substitute for keen awareness while backing up, but they might have saved a serious injury...at least for me...

Most who are 6 or 6'1" have no problem with the sport seats. BUT since you're over that height, It's almost a requirement that you try the all the seats before ordering. Why? because of your very tall stature, possibly for some weird, unexpected reason the standard seats may prove to me more comfortable?? Something like that.

No brake dust

I got PCCBS because I hate looking at brake dust, and I'm willing to pay $8k not to. Just the kind of guy I am, and I don't regret the decision.

Re: No brake dust

Booger,
    What is brake dust please? You mean actual dust on the brake? Can you see it? I know you can hear it.

Break dust is those black powdery redidue on your rims.

As Ron says: black powder build-up on the wheels--purely cosmetic.

Quote:
    booger said:
    I got PCCBS because I hate looking at brake dust, and I'm willing to pay $8k not to. Just the kind of guy I am, and I don't regret the decision.

Me, too!

I decided on PCCB for my x50 996TT Cab for the same exact reason.

Fanch -- thanks for your advice and observations!

Carlos -- I'm pretty convinced that, for me at least, the sport exhaust will be worth the money. I'm betting the sound alone may be worth it, even without an increase in performance. Same for the sport shifter; the only negative I can find about it is that shifting is a bit balky and stiff until things warm up. I'm still deciding on PCCB. What tempts me most is the potential improvement in ride & handling from the unsprung weight reduction. As far as leather, I am ordering the leather seats -- are you talking about what's described in the USA as the "full leather" package? As to TPMS, I don't think that's available in the States. And, finally, about the NAV and BOSE; I always keep one "special" car and the 997 will fill this role. It will probably never be driven for commuting, but will be driven specifically for enjoyment. Despite this it's probably worth having the NAV and BOSE, even though with the sports exhaust I'll probably keep the stereo off and listen to the exhaust note instead. Thinking about this more, I was worried about the weight penalty because when I've done aftermarket/high-end systems in my cars I've used top-quality amps, speakers, speaker boxes, and sound deadening. One system (in a high-end sedan) probably added at least 200 pounds. BOSE, however, seems to use small, light, and somewhat cheap as part of their design criteria. Not to sound like a snob, but their systems don't sound as good to me as other high-end systems (the Mark Levinson/Lexus system comes to mind here, as does the system in my wife's VW Phaeton). I'm sure it's still an improvement on the stock system, though, and I don't want to fiddle with the system on this car. So, it's a "yes" for the BOSE and NAV for me...

Mike -- thanks so much for your observations about the Adaptive Sport Seats. What a positive review, and I'm hoping my dealer gets a car with this option for me to try before my car is locked in and options can't be changed. If it actually improves the headroom I may be able to go ahead and keep the sunroof...

Thanks again for all the help on these issues -- it really helps to hear from people who've tried these things in actual use.

Ray

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

If I was on a tight budget ... I would definately sacrifice luxury options like black dials....

Option code 022 - instrument dials in black - is listed as a zero cost option. I'm assuming that means the 997S instrument panel then looks exactly like the 997 instrument panel.

Re: those black dials -- though I like the standard "S" gauges, I'm thinking that here in sunny California the black might be easier on the eyes...

And, back to the PCCB issue, I must admit that the lack of brake dust would be a big positive for me. I know -- cosmetics, not performance -- guilty as charged. NOT that this by any means justifies the cost, but I like detailing my cars (when I have the time) and keeping wheels clean is always a bit of a hassle. BUT -- the main reason PCCB interests me is the performance potential as discussed earlier. I think Porsche could sell a lot of these systems if they can get the price down to around $5K...

Quote:
    brt3 said:
    As far as leather, I am ordering the leather seats -- are you talking about what's described in the USA as the "full leather" package?

And, finally, about the NAV and BOSE; I always keep one "special" car and the 997 will fill this role. It will probably never be driven for commuting, but will be driven specifically for enjoyment. Despite this it's probably worth having the NAV and BOSE, even though with the sports exhaust I'll probably keep the stereo off and listen to the exhaust note instead. Thinking about this more, I was worried about the weight penalty because when I've done aftermarket/high-end systems in my cars I've used top-quality amps, speakers, speaker boxes, and sound deadening. One system (in a high-end sedan) probably added at least 200 pounds. BOSE, however, seems to use small, light, and somewhat cheap as part of their design criteria. Not to sound like a snob, but their systems don't sound as good to me as other high-end systems (the Mark Levinson/Lexus system comes to mind here, as does the system in my wife's VW Phaeton). I'm sure it's still an improvement on the stock system, though, and I don't want to fiddle with the system on this car. So, it's a "yes" for the BOSE and NAV for me...

Ray,
    I meant the "interior leather" option, which covers the dash in leather, but not the "full interior leather" option which also covers the back of the seats and is not a good idea IMO.

Lexus AFAIK has the best factory upgrade stereos, don't expect the Porsche's Bose to be the same, but still beats stock. For myself, I will go aftermarket to get a better stereo than the Bose option.

Agree with some of the comments about the Bose system. Have to say it's the only part of the car that I'm not massively keen on. I find myself constantly trying to adjust the bass to stop rattling speakers on certain CDs, and the mid range sound is very mediocre.

The trouble with going after market is that whilst it would sound so much better, it would probably devalue the car because everyone likes things like that to be OEM.

This sucks Edj,
    I have the sounds system with 9 speakers or whatever on my 996 cab and it's my biggest regret, not to have gone for the Bose because of the few rattles I get on bassy songs.
    Now if the Bose doesn it too, it's very disappointing.
    By the way, can you shift reverse ok now?
    Cheers mate!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    This sucks Edj,
    I have the sounds system with 9 speakers or whatever on my 996 cab and it's my biggest regret, not to have gone for the Bose because of the few rattles I get on bassy songs.
    Now if the Bose doesn it too, it's very disappointing.
    By the way, can you shift reverse ok now?
    Cheers mate!

Hi there - Bose is totally over-rated IMO. Yes, it's better than the standard kit, but I listen to a lot of music at home on some pretty high end kit, and I'm always just a bit disappointed when I listen to the same music in the car.

As for the reverse gear - yes, it's sorted - they had to take the car in which took a couple of hours and they gave me a loan car (997 Carrera) which I was fine about. Shouldn't have happened, but mistakes happen I suppose.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752832 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430477 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258474 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255406 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868082 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801666 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM