Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2018 Mercedes G-Class

well....there it is. 2018 G464 series, its hard to tell from the pics, but the rumour is that the cars is wider, independant suspension and all new interior and petrol versions based on the 4.0 mercedes engine.

mine is still in customs awaiting clearance. should be here in the coming 2 weeks.

will i regret having jumped on the bandwagon so late ? not sure yet. maybe the current G463 is a classic and the 5.5 engine might be better suited to it.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2018-mercedes-benz-g-class-w464-interior-design-spied-109110.html#

2018-mercedes-benz-g-class-w464-interior-design-spied_12.jpg

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Re: 2018 Mercedes G-Class

Being wider makes it not look as tall, which is kind of part of the look. Looks a bit Jeepish in these pics.

When can we expect to see it without camo? Glad to see they're keeping the character of the car. 

Likely the new G with IRS will have less rear wheel articulation. That won't mean much to most buyers but if you go off road much it does. I think they will continue to build the older model for government markets.

There we go. My wife is insisting to want a G-Class. I convinced her to wait for this one. She can have it, and I can drive whatever I like as my daily car.

I just had a G350 and again the G500 last week. Surprisingly it felt much more agile (at least in city and country roads) then the G500. I have to add, that the G500 is the pre-facelift 5 Liter, at the dealer is still the same  which we been test driving earlier on. The experience might be different with the new Turbo engines. But - the G350 had simple leather, the G500 designio. Just as a side note: the difference is like driving a luxury car compared to a VITO transporter. 

I'm kind of happy that MB goes this direction and can't wait to have it available! :)

compare the wipers - the new car wipers are much longer and are running also from the opposite side:

hehe... what is Mercedes doing with the new 7 series 

I think it's the best choice - plus a classic even if new - and the ESP etc setting in the 2016 models is different - not that they are agile all of a sudden but clearly a improvement over anything before - so I would assume next years model is another step ! kiss

a G-series looks weird to me in camo - what is there to hide ? Oh, yes, the cube lines are maybe a bit smoother...wow...

Lars that´s the best option by far Smiley

--

J.Seven

If true, the M157 will be discontinued in the upcoming G-Class and replaced with ( 5.5L > 4.0L ) M177 for the AMG model laugh

M157

M177

Good. The G-class had garage MPG. The G-Class is one vehicle that could most use a hybrid or EV option.

I hope they will not mess up classic design with some silly elements to make it "fresh". I assume interior will be something like we saw in V Class.

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

It'll be nice, but the trick is to keep the classic shell while over hauling the chassis big time. 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Milanno:

I hope they will not mess up classic design with some silly elements to make it "fresh". I assume interior will be something like we saw in V Class.

Don't worry. This is what we will see. The dash of the next Gen G Class. A step ahead but still in the same direction than the previous one! Smiley

J.Seven:

Dantas - my wife requested the car, so she will get it - Happy wife, easier life. But this is independent of the family car. I think a G-Class is a great car in the stable, not sure if it is a family driver. Two different decisions. 

Lars997:

Don't worry. This is what we will see. The dash of the next Gen G Class. A step ahead but still in the same direction than the previous one! Smiley

Looks awesome! G class needs evolution, not revolution.

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Lars997:
    J.Seven:

Dantas - my wife requested the car, so she will get it - Happy wife, easier life. But this is independent of the family car. I think a G-Class is a great car in the stable, not sure if it is a family driver. Two different decisions. 

Keep it one. Would save you a lot of money. If you like the G class, get one and make your wife happy. It is also a very good family car (which I can confirm after two trips in a G class in the US).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Interesting it's not a 100% digital dash like other high-end Mercedes. The G-Class is in fact probably one of the most expensive models in the line-up.

RC:
    Lars997:
    J.Seven:

Keep it one. Would save you a lot of money. If you like the G class, get one and make your wife happy. It is also a very good family car (which I can confirm after two trips in a G class in the US).

Realistically the G will not be available for the next 2 years. So I see the G in 2 years in the stable for my wife. In 2 years I can think then about what the other or let's say - my car Smiley will be. And maybe, the G is so much better than the old one, that it really is good enough as a family weekender? Even I never made and always hated such long term car decisions, I guess in this case we just have to do it. If we and especially my wife ever gets a G it must be in 2 years with the new model. Long time until then!

The different orientation of the wipers is due to the LHD/RHD versions of the car.

Best, w

wurlie:

The different orientation of the wipers is due to the LHD/RHD versions of the car.

Best, w

ok.... great, never noticed that! :) Anyway... the new wipers are more flat, so there is a bigger difference in the car. 

Arnie's new G-class. 500 hp electric power...0-100 kph in 5.6 seconds, top speed slightly over 180 kph (116 mph).

Kreisel-Electric-Mercedes-G-fotoshowBig-2c5cacb7-1003228.jpg
    Kreisel-Electric-Mercedes-G-fotoshowBig-f5e54020-1003518.jpg
    Kreisel-Electric-Mercedes-G-fotoshowBig-bfb2337a-1003224.jpg
    Kreisel-Electric-Mercedes-G-fotoshowBig-fb4fbc43-1003226.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Arnie doesn't give a F. (or maybe he does, about the environment) 

Actually the G class and Arnold make for a pretty good metaphor of each other. Formerly top of their class, sluggish, enough mass to do maximum damage to anything that gets into an accident with them, their glory days have passed and they've been replaced by better performing more efficient newcomers, and yet for a niche group they'll always be so damn cool without any quantifiable explanation. 

Enmanuel:

Actually the G class and Arnold make for a pretty good metaphor of each other. Formerly top of their class, sluggish, enough mass to do maximum damage to anything that gets into an accident with them, their glory days have passed and they've been replaced by better performing more efficient newcomers, and yet for a niche group they'll always be so damn cool without any quantifiable explanation. 

Surprisingly, Arnie is quite the sympathetic guy. Met him once at the airport and a friend of mine knows him actually quite well from Austria (they met in the same hotel for years and always talked). Seems to be a very nice guy...if you ignore that maid thing. Smiley Smiley Smiley He was now in Austria again with his girlfriend.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Enmanuel:

Surprisingly, Arnie is quite the sympathetic guy. Met him once at the airport and a friend of mine knows him actually quite well from Austria (they met in the same hotel for years and always talked). Seems to be a very nice guy...if you ignore that maid thing. Smiley Smiley Smiley He was now in Austria again with his girlfriend.

Thats that G charisma I'm talking about  Smiley 

The G has charisma and Arno anyway - he is the best!

But an electric vehicle today? - Driving now since 2 months a Hybrid I come to the conclusion that a pure electric car still is total rubbish today. Why - because the infrastructure is still not given. It is so difficult to find charging places. And if you finally find a charger its place might be taken, or they are a rip off - the other day I paid 17,28 Eur (instead 2,80 Eur ) for a charge. I was trusting into the system of my paycard provider. How can this happen - lots of stations are going by time and kwH instead by KwH. Those are provided by a private company to rip off people (approx. 6 Eur/hour). Conclusion - so happy that I didn't buy that Tesla, it is too early for it. 

Lars997:

The G has charisma and Arno anyway - he is the best!

But an electric vehicle today? - Driving now since 2 months a Hybrid I come to the conclusion that a pure electric car still is total rubbish today. Why - because the infrastructure is still not given. It is so difficult to find charging places. And if you finally find a charger its place might be taken, or they are a rip off - the other day I paid 17,28 Eur (instead 2,80 Eur ) for a charge. I was trusting into the system of my paycard provider. How can this happen - lots of stations are going by time and kwH instead by KwH. Those are provided by a private company to rip off people (approx. 6 Eur/hour). Conclusion - so happy that I didn't buy that Tesla, it is too early for it. 

It is very clear that you lack real time experience with a Tesla. I wrote a report about one that I got the opportunity to drive for some time. It was a great experience. When you drive longer distance, take a break each 250-300km and charge up in 20-25 minutes time. The trick is to only charge the battery up to 80% before moving on and doing so you "refill" about 11-12km/minute. If you have the 100kWh battery pack 80% give a range of about 350km drive. If you drive at 170kph you will probably come about 250km on 80%. For those outside of Germany who seldom drive +140km/h the range on motorways is hardly an issue.

I would say that driving a Tesla is only an issue for those who drive 1000km/day and a lot out in the sticks and does not have access to overnight charging. Then EV is probably not the best solution, even if it works (Still Tesla, not other EVs). But for 90% of driving behaviors running a Tesla is as good as any ICE-car. And the Supercharger network is really already well built out for most driving. And parking up in hotel garages and other destination charging is a breeze.

EV is clearly not for everybody, but it is a bit exaggerating to say that it is too early, because that is simply not true - for Tesla. Other EV's and hybrids that lack access to high speed charging is another story. Need to fiddle with payments, charging cables and such stuff. With Tesla you just park up, plug-in and take your 20 minute brake which is very nice thing to do each 3 hours while driving longer distance. After my longer commutes, my experience was that I had never been so fresh when I did arrive at my destination like driving the Tesla. It's actually quite nice to stop over these 20 minutes. And in the scheme of things you might loose about 30 minutes in total driving a Tesla instead of an ICE (for a 700km drive), because even if your gas-tank might take you longer, you need to eat and visit the restroom on longer drives anyway.

Thing is also - those days that you drive less than 300km you never need to even think about "filling up" because that is always solved overnight when you sleep.

The real challenge for the traditional car manufacturers will be to build up a adequate charging infrastructure. If they do so, then it will be a viable alternative. Until then, Tesla just are way ahead with the Supercharging network that actually works good already today, and get better for each day. Also 100% hazel free to use.

And final note - Making any conclusion for driving an EV after you have driven a hybrid that lack all the features that are important? Range and Quick convenient charging (and for Tesla also very cheap. Approx 0,4EUR/10km for cars sold today, FoC for older Teslas) Smiley

Yeah, I really just don't get the range anxiety. How often would you need to go to a gas station in daily life if your car always had a full tank when you woke up in the morning? Aside from a road trip, probably never....

Well people don't top of their gas tanks every night before they go to bed, they only refuel it when needed........

Which is like every few days or weeks depending on how much a car is driven. Unlike a electric car which is practically empty after every drive........

When the 918 comes home, it doesn't always get the same parking spot where the charger is located, not a problem, it doesn't need to be charged every night, it has a gas engine to recharge the battery if needed.

There are all sorts of reasons why people can't plug in their electric car at night every night, the charging spot at the apartment complex is taken up, they spent the night parked on the street outside of their girlfriend/boyfriend's home, friend's home, etc. 

Here is one typical scenario, someone drove the Tesla all day, be it for work or whatever, he planned to go home and plug it in, but a booty call comes and he spent the night at the girl's place, the Tesla is practically empty the next morning and can't last the drive back to the office or home where the charger is located. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764837 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436834 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261198 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258085 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82709 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877162 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809317 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM