Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Owners &/or test driver 987 Boxster......PASM yes or NO???

Hi. It was a discussion of 2 month ago but now I think there are more owners and people that tested the new Boxster.
    I would know if PASM is really necessary or you can just keep the standard set-up for porsche. I mean Boxster with 19' wheels. Too harsh or just stiff with only 19' or you REALLY REALLY need the PASM? It makes really a huge difference????Thanks

Re: Owners &/or test driver 987 Boxster......PASM yes or NO???

Quote:
    andrea said:
    Hi. It was a discussion of 2 month ago but now I think there are more owners and people that tested the new Boxster.
    I would know if PASM is really necessary or you can just keep the standard set-up for porsche. I mean Boxster with 19' wheels. Too harsh or just stiff with only 19' or you REALLY REALLY need the PASM? It makes really a huge difference????Thanks

I have only driven the 997 with and without PASM. The standard Carrera on 18" wheels was much harsher ride than the Carrera "S" I drove with 19" wheels and PASM (in normal).
    I have driven the Boxster "S" only with PASM on the 19" wheels, but I was convinced enough to spec it on my Boxster S due March. Hopefully. Others disagree with me here, (But not RC). See if you can get your dealer to let you try cars with and without. Even if it is a 997, it will demonstrate the difference and whether or not you think it worth the extra money. If the roads where you live are poorly surfaced then I would consider it essential for comfort.
    No you don't REALLY need PASM, any more than you really need 19" wheels, full leather or any of the other options, BUT for me it was the icing on the cake so worth it.
    If it was a question of having a Boxster "S" without PASM or a standard Boxster with PASM, I would go for the Boxster "S" without it. I hope I have not confused you.

An expensive toy in my opinion. I have driven 987 with and without....19" and 1*2 and I honestly could tell a huge amout of difference!

Better "value" than say 18" to 19" upgrade.....Pounds1018 for a bit more alloy material.

Quote:
    andrea said:

After driving a 987S without PASM, I think the 19" without PASM is the best way to go. Ride and handling was excellent, very similiar to my 18" now with no 030 suspension.

Save the money, and if you really feel the need to modify the suspension later on, you can install aftermarket suspension components such as PSS9, Ohlins, coilovers, etc.

Thanks for your comments. I don't like comfort but I also know that sometimes I would like to have. I have no doubts for the the 19' choice over the 18', I am confused about the PASM utility for a person like me who would like to feel the street through the tyres-wheels, I'm not sure that the electronic aid is so much important, perhaps is more like an electronic new feature, but I would prefer -20mm chassis and autoblock diff. instead of pasm, also in the races the set-up aren't electronically controlled (apart active suspensions in F1 some years ago).
    I'm still confused, listen the Comfort mode is really comfort or just comfort because the sport mode is harsher???
    I'm not sure that the sport mode is stiffer than normal chassis.
    If someone could help me you are welcome

Re: Owners &/or test driver 987 Boxster......PASM yes or NO?

I think your making a mistake. I would definitely go with the18' wheels vs 19'; Less unsprung weight and the car will feel way more tossable. As for the pasm, I can't stand it. In normal mode the suspension feels to soft and in sport mode , the cars ride is to harsh except for a track surface.

Re: Owners &/or test driver 987 Boxster......PASM yes or NO?

Andrea

I think the various opinions expressed here mean one thing. Try and experience PASM yourself and make your own mind up. Don't forget though PASM is active all the time, and even in comfort (Normal) setting if you start to drive sportily the system automatically firms up the suspension for you. So if you just want to cruise gently it is the ideal suspension. If you want to drive sportily it is also the ideal suspension. Unless you are totally hardcore sports car driver in which case don't buy a Boxster buy a Lotus Elise or Exige.

Got this from another post....

"The 19' rims are really great stuf and with the pasm no problem
    The ride is still comftable
    In the sport mode very hard I think we will not use that a lot
    The 19"rims make the Boxster look like the CGT from the front"

thanks newboxster

Get the PASM and 19s.I have a 997s and PASM and Sports Chrono pack are both superb.The 19" rims look fantastic on the boxter and the 997 I nearly ordered the sports suspension (-20mm lsd)but i am glad i didnt as for a daily drive i think it would have been too stiff,beleive me the sport setting on PASM is pretty stiff and a big difference to the normal mode.So you see you have a very versatile car now, which for me is fantastic ,as depending on my mood ,road conditions,etc i can change the cars feel instantly

Thanks robbo.
    So PASM on Sport mode is stiffer than normal set-up of Boxster.
    But PASM in Comfort mode is softer than normal set-up????

Quote:
    andrea said:
    Thanks robbo.
    So PASM on Sport mode is stiffer than normal set-up of Boxster.
    But PASM in Comfort mode is softer than normal set-up????

Ride with PASM in normal is about the same as the old Boxster on 18" wheels. According to Autocar. "Sport" mode much harder but not unacceptably so. Track day mode, really.

PASM shock absorbers (dampers) provide 2 ranges of damping force. Porsche published a graph that shows the 'normal' and 'sport' mode damping force ranges, and compares those ranges to the standard, non-PASM chassis.

In normal mode, the stiff extreme of the range is considerably more stiff than the standard non-PASM chassis, and the soft extreme of the range is even more considerably softer than the standard chassis.

In sport mode PASM provides a range whose soft extreme is about the same as the non-PASM chassis, and a stiff extreme obviously higher even than the normal mode, not to mention the non-PASM chassis.

The graph is contained in the 987 press release which I found somewhere online and downloaded. It is the second of 4 .pdf files into which the press release had been divided. I can email it to you if you like.

It should also be mentioned that the PASM chassis is set 10 mm lower than the standard chassis.

It should also be mentioned that each of the 4 shocks acts independently. If one wheel needs more stiffness, it gets it.

PASM seems in theory to be a good thing. Any suspension is a compromise, working better within its comfort zone. PASM would seem to expand the envelope of competency--the comfort zone--of the suspension.

Here is the text of the Porsche release I referred to:

"How PASM works: PASM selects the required damper hardness for each individual wheel from a precisely co-ordinated map in both the Normal and the Sport programme. The possible damper settings range from comfortable to decidedly sporty. Both programmes, which overlap slightly in some areas, are additionally superimposed with five special software modules to provide the optimum damper settings for every driving condition. The system automatically selects the appropriate damper hardness based on the PASM programme selected and the driving condition identified. The Normal programme offers comfortable settings with low damper forces. Special control algorithms in the PASM software modules enable the chassis to offer greater active driving safety in extreme driving situations, even with the Normal programme. To increase driving safety at higher speeds, the dampers are automatically switched to a harder damper setting as speed increases. The dampers switch to a hard characteristic when Sport mode is activated. This offers superior agility and excellent steering precision on uneven surfaces. If the system detects an uneven driving surface in Sport mode, it immediately switches to a softer characteristic to improve contact with the road surface. PASM selects the optimum damper setting for this driving condition from the Sport map. Since extremely hard damping is not always the ideal solution in every driving situation (depending on the driving surface, the vehicle may start to bounce or shift), the overlap between the Normal and Sport maps allows the ideal damper setting to always be selected. The customer gets an "active sports chassis" which automatically responds to the actual road surface and switches from a hard, sporty damping setting to a comfortable range as necessary. PASM switches back to the original characteristic as soon as the road surface is smooth enough."

thanks a lot rsgl. However if you can, send me by email the .pdf files please.
    Thanks!!!!

Dedi, I'm happy to send it to you; but I need your email address. You can send it to me privately by clicking on my name next to my post, then clicking on 'send private message'.

If the car did not come with PASM can the dealer install them?

Quote:
    jyiu said:
    If the car did not come with PASM can the dealer install them?

Retrofit should be (theoretically) possible but it would cost a fortune.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759694 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433791 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259749 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256908 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80606 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5305 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870722 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805752 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM