Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Picked up my new baby yesterday!

Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum and thanks to you all for creating a very useful resource on 997 ownership!

I picked up my new 997S yesterday and managed 2 hours of driving before 16" of snow started to come down!

I managed to drive it on the highway, around town and in the snow (which was interesting given it has Pzeros on it!). I tried out the sports mode which does make a difference for sure.

After reading the manual it is surprising how it seems to refer to how the Sports Chrono pack allows more options on settings for the car and not just the PSM etc. Something I had not seen on this forum before.

My wife loves the car and was surprised how much space there was in it. Especially in the back. Which is good given I have a child on the way! :-)

The car is in Arctic Silver with the following options (couldn't get sport seats since I had the deal locate a pre-built car - damn!):

692 - Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
    680 - Bose High End Sound Package
    640 - Sport Chrono Package Plus
    M6A - Black Mats - Porsche lettering
    C02 - U.S. Standard/Emissions
    446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
    342 - Heated Front Seats
    P15 - Power Seat Package
    670 - Navigation for PCM

I will try and post some pics later.

Finally thanks to Legend Porsche of Long Island NY for everything they did to find me the car and the great friendly sales experience! Thanks Jack, Liza and Mitch!

Re: Picked up my new baby yesterday!

Quote:
    EnglishManInNY said:
    After reading the manual it is surprising how it seems to refer to how the Sports Chrono pack allows more options on settings for the car and not just the PSM etc. Something I had not seen on this forum before.

It has been mentioned a couple of times but it probably got "lost" in the too many Chrono Sport posts.
    Personally, I cared most for the changed throttle/PSM response, this is why I didn't mention it in the review, sorry.

Congrats and hopefully the snow goes away fast, so you're gonna be able to enjoy your car more often.

Be careful about wives: my wife loved the room in the back of the 996 too, especially when we travelled twice to South France/Cote d'Azur (around 800 km from my home town in Germany) with two(!) large Samsonite suitcases in the rear.
    But when the first kid showed up...well, I ended up with a ML55 and sold my 996 Turbo (which actually was my fault because my wife wanted me to keep my "toy", she knew I wouldn't resist without it).

So if you think you bought yourself a family car, forget about it. You'll definetely need something bigger for kid(s). But the best solution is probably to buy a SUV for the family and to keep the 997 for you as a fun car. Not always the best solution, I know. But I got a Mercedes E55 AMG to replace a family car AND a sports car and I hated it. Now I'm using a Cayenne Turbo as a family car and the 997 Carrera S as a fun car. Works best, trust me.

I should have mentioned we have a BMW 5 series in the family also. This is now solely my wife's car from now on! Especially since she cannot drive a stick (manual) and I'm not going to teach her!

From the limted time I drove in the snow and still with the Pzeros on the 997 was better than the 5series in the snow. I generally try not to drive in the snow unless I can help it so I rarely think about snow tires. Hopefully the snow will go away soon. If not I may re-think the situation on the tires.

thank you RC for everthing you have done on this forum. I have been reading for the last 6 months and you set the standard for everyone.

I ment to put the kisses to my wife and not teaching her to drive a stick and not to RC (no matter now much I respect the guy!). Just put it down to me being new here!

I read in the news this morning where you guys got blasted.I'm 200 miles north of you and we got a foot.Be careful. Long Island drivers don't fare too well in the snow.Enjoy your new car to the fullest. I have to wait. Late March build for a mid-April delivery. Good luck and have FUN!!!

Looks like it will be snowing constantly until 5pm NYT so that would have been about 29hours of non-stop snow. I'm really looking forward to digging myself out - not! I need to get one of those snow throwers. But now I have 2 cars in the garage I have no where to put it. Ah well looks like I will be getting lots of exercise this evening.

Since I had the dealer locate the car I only waited 3 weeks and that was bad so I only started to understand how difficult it can be if you have to wait months or even a year in the UK like I probably would have had to if I was still there.

It is worth the wait. But I'm not sure what is worse, waiting to drive it or waiting to get it in the first place!

Our snow is over for now, but they expect another inch or two tonight with temperatures about -6.If I had my 997s now, it would probable stay in the garage until the roads were clear. Too much salt!
    Talk about a long anticipated wait, I had to wait 14 months for the M3, but I was driving a 740i at the time, so it wasn't too bad.Aren't we spoiled? Is this a great country or what? We have much to be thankful for!

Congratulations!!!

I hope winter ends soon. I'm snow bound, too, down here near Washington, DC.

Picture from my den/ snow bunker.

The US is great in many ways and there are lots of advantages from living here. But the weather at times (depending on where you live) is not one of them.

Hey congratulations. I am in the same exact boat Englishman. I picked up my car yesterday morning also. Got about 2 hours out of it also. But I live in CT, and tried to beat the storm into NYC to grab my friend for the weekend. Everything was going fine and then in a span of 15 minutes the car became undriveable. Had to park it at my office garage, and take metro north back to CT!!! Anyway the car is safe as am I, and you and me both are dying for this snow to go so we can play with our new toys!

Quote:
    weissy said:
    Everything was going fine and then in a span of 15 minutes the car became undriveable. Had to park it at my office garage, and take metro north back to CT!!! Anyway the car is safe as am I, and you and me both are dying for this snow to go so we can play with our new toys!

My Boxster did not fair so well and slid off of a mountain. Can you tell I'm bored, while snow bound?

Being snow bound is no fun with such a great car in the garage! Nice to see your creativity coming out Holminator.

weissy - I feel sorry for you. Thankfully i managed to get it into my home garage. At least you can look forward to driving it back tomorrow if all goes well.

englishmaninny, do you now live permantly in the states??? just curious, why did you move? im just curious....

Yes looking forward to getting it home. Allmost went and got it today as the highways are fine, but my local streets here are still bad. So tomorrow it will be!

AndrewSS - Moved 3.5 years ago for my company (American) and my wife (American). Initially worked in 1 World Trade center until 9/11.... Now i work near Times Square.

Weissy - Good Luck. Looks like mine won't be coming out until next weekend....Lets us know how it goes.

You should wait until the streets are perfectly clear. The day after our last snow storm I was on my way to have Pzeros mounted and i went through a trace of snow on the street and the back-end came out. The standard tires do not handle snow well at all.

GG

Quote:
    weissy said:
    Everything was going fine and then in a span of 15 minutes the car became undriveable.

How come? The snow?
    Or didnt you wanna chance it in a new car?
    My Boxster is even better in snow and slick weather than my "normal" car (a Peugeot), which is a suprise to me..and with all the fancy PASM DSMT SDM SGDTSN HSDJ S and SAPPAOSY you have on the new 911's it shouldn't be a problem either. Should it?

Congrats on the car! It's just a great feeling picking up a new set of wheels!

Yeah the snow just came down so fast that the car was just not going to stay going streight. Now some of this could be that I only had about an hour behind the wheel of my new car and didn't know what it can or can't do. But I will tell you that I slid thru a stop sighn doing like 7 mph. My Boxster S was just ok in the snow but I think the tires on the 997S make it a non option in the snow. I wasn't planning on driving it in the snow at all.(Didn't drive my Boxster S in the snow ither) But the snow just came down so fast the streetes went from not a spec on them to 100% covered in a 15 minute span. I have lived in this area my whole life and never so anything like it.

Oh! Sounds like a good call, then
    No car on the planet can stop on a sheet of ice
    I was just wondering (and I didnt realize you had a 986s) cuz I was very careful with driving in slick conditions in my newly acquired 986s, too.
    I had this notion that a sportscar in general, and mid-engine one in particular, would be all over the place at the smallest sign of slippery conditions. But I actually learned that the Boxster is a lot more solid and balanced in slippery conditions than my "ordinary" car, that I chose over the Boxster the first few times it was hailing/snowing/raining.

I hope you have many great hours in your new baby

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    754062 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431117 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258760 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255667 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79678 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868636 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802418 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM