Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Boxster Coupe / GTS now called C7S????

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Just a few idle thoughts that I had....

I think it would be difficult for Porsche to turn the 911 into a mid engined car from a marketing/heritage viewpoint.

The 4 seat rear engine 911 range must always exist. The " C7 " coupe would be a coexisting different model range , whether alone or as " couped up " Boxster derivative , but with the best drivetrains that the chassis could handle. Marketing won't let that happen.
    BTW, the Tiptronic C4S Cab was the best selling 911 in the US market last year . Telling .

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Dr Phil,

I feel I should confess. I like the Cayenne because it is so distinctive. Has to be in the right spec and colour though - artic silver, 20" wheels, off road design pack etc etc. I am also looking forward to seeing the four door performance saloon as this could potentially be a great car. It won't harm future Boxster or 911 development either as it will strengthen Porsche's bottom line profitability if it is a success.

ISUK, enthusiast, car nut, and fortune teller!

Oh, I forgive thee, my son.
    Go yonder and hitherto only have eyes upon thy 911.

I'm not really that religious.
    I think the Cayenne is ok. Not as cool as the rest of the Porsche family, nor as pure-blooded as the 911 or Boxster, but a welcome cousin that brings the bread to the table.
    Personally I don't see the purpose of all these disco-jeeps, other than being a great vehicle for soccer-moms and poseurs.
    Having said that, the Cayenne is definately one of the coolest, probably in third place after the real deal; the Range Rover and its sister, the Touareg.

Quote:
    DrPhil said:

Oh, I forgive thee, my son.
    Go yonder and hitherto only have eyes upon thy 911.

Thank you Reverend Phil

I never used to see the point of big 4x4s until I turned to the dark side 4 years ago and bought an X5. What a fantastic vehicle - lots of interior space, commanding view of the road ahead, incredible pace for such a heavy car, superb handling in sport model guise (a real laugh to punt fast around roundabouts and watch the amazed looks on other motorists faces - there weren't so many X5's about then) and a good load carrier when required and best of all in traffic jam Britain - you can see over the tops of other cars in traffic queues which is . All in all you don't really need another car if you have one of these. The Cayenne adds that touch of individuality and handles well too.

However I shall take your advice and avert my eyes to my 997 only

I hear your sermon, but I won't convert
    I like the butchness of these cars, but that's also my problem with them. They're icons of the "fortressbuilding culture" from the US.
    Having said that, and looking at them as mere cars, and not symbols of anything, I'd love to have one as a hobby/mountainbike/walk in the woods/takle the dogs for a ride third car.
    But Im afraid my finances wont stretch that far

MKW's notes that the tiptronic Cab' is a best seller. Many note that Cayenne sales have saved Porsche. And the 911 too continues to sell. But these are all compromised cars when evaluated by DrPhil's "nerds" in the light of the Porsche "legacy".

I do believe that Porsche retains engineering as its highest value; or I'd like to believe that. And that's where the Coupester comes in. It's the most logical architecture; the stiffest, most aerodynamic, best balanced. And although it doesn't (yet) make clear marketing sense (it could canabalize its siblings), there just might be space for it in the market (eventually as a supercar), it is efficiently/inexpensively derived from an existing platform (Boxster), and.......it satisfies DrPhil's and Porsche's nerds, including me.

For pure driving, a mid-engine coupe is the best.

Porsche has earned this moment to make a new, transcendent sportscar, and they're doing it.

Quote:
    rsgl said:
    MKW's notes that the tiptronic Cab' is a best seller. Many note that Cayenne sales have saved Porsche. And the 911 too continues to sell. But these are all compromised cars when evaluated by DrPhil's "nerds" in the light of the Porsche "legacy".

I do believe that Porsche retains engineering as its highest value; or I'd like to believe that. And that's where the Coupester comes in. It's the most logical architecture; the stiffest, most aerodynamic, best balanced. And although it doesn't (yet) make clear marketing sense (it could canabalize its siblings), there just might be space for it in the market (eventually as a supercar), it is efficiently/inexpensively derived from an existing platform (Boxster), and.......it satisfies DrPhil's and Porsche's nerds, including me.

For pure driving, a mid-engine coupe is the best.

Porsche has earned this moment to make a new, transcendent sportscar, and they're doing it.

Agree with most of what you said......but really, if Porsche would have come out with both the Boxster Coupe and Roadster back in '97......maybe they wouldn't have needed to skew away from what they do best. There are a *ton* of people that want a Porsche entry level coupe (just look at the reactions on these boards) and will not even look at a Roadster.....myself included. To me they screwed up and are coming to the game a little too late now with a lot more competitors.

MikeN, I agree that they missed the boat by not producing the Coupe at a lower price than the roadster. It would seem it could have been done, since it should be fundamentally less expensive to build than a ragtop, given the same equipment spec', I believe.

True too, there are more competitors if you consider the class to be 'sports cars'. But there are none in the 'pure driving car' niche at the predicted price, not even close. It'll be interesting to see how this sells; it's a bit of an experiment it seems.

Pure driving cars; where are they? The Lotus Elise has the configuration and the lightness to qualify; the Boxster has the configuration but is too heavy. The Z4 has the weight distribution, but too much of it too.

If the Coupester comes in at 2500 pounds, I'm putting down my deposit.

I think that, like what we've seen with the Cayenne, the first release of the C7 will be the high powered one, then there will be a less powerful version on sale, closer in price to the base Boxster, maybe.
    Not cheaper though as Porsche will claim that, according to Autocar, the C7 is driver focused car. So maybe different chassis tweaks here and there, better interior, who knows?
    I was asking myself about cannibalisation too.
    But from the bottom, it'll be Boxster vs Base C7, so it'll depend whether you want a open or close car.
    However, from the top, it'll be C7S vs Base Carrera, if you're gonna pay Pounds50,000 for a C7S then why not stretch to a Pounds58,000 Carrera?
    I think the C7S, being focused, to have that same sportiness with the Carrera will need Sport chrono, sport chassis, etc etc etc, eventually adding to the Pounds58,000 base price, I don't know just a thought.
    I am sure Porsche marketing gurus have done their homework.
    To me, that model is still a mistery, the good news is we'll find out this year all about it, and frankly, as a costumer, the more choice the better!
    This is good.
    GT, sports car, 2WD, 4WD, manual, tiptro, DSG, n/a, turbo, PASM, sport chassis, cab, coupe, rear engined, mid engined, S, non S, no matter what, at the end of the day, the Porsche costumer is the winner, so much choice! :t

Maybe the C7 coupe will be positioned to attract younger,
    more sports minded customers. Perhaps when the C7 comes out after awhile the 997 will be seen as something for older, less sporting people and eventually the 997 will get phased out for a all new modern car to milk the process again.

Imagine the C7 as the basis for a Cup car or the RS/RSR, it would be awesome, but probably won't happen any time soon since it would obsolete the 996/997 based versions.

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Imagine the C7 as the basis for a Cup car or the RS/RSR, it would be awesome, but probably won't happen any time soon since it would obsolete the 996/997 based versions.

I agree. I think a lightweight (2,500#) clubsport Boxster Coupe with GT3 motor might be one of the best-driving cars the marque has ever produced.

I've found an old italian magazine from back when the boxster had just been launched.
    Interestingly enough, they were discussing possible sources of inspiration for a boxster coupe
    Here's a drawing from the magazine:

I've just noticed: the drawing portraits the FACELIFTED front.
    This was '99, the facelift was 4 years away.

Hm?

I just saw some "old" pics of this prototype from a local car magazine from jan 2004, and it struck me: Would they consider making it a targa, or will that give them the disadvantages of not enough stiffness like the Boxster????

I find it fun to look back through old magazines and find out which cars made it and which ones didn't. Always interesting. Thanks brunner for the good sleuthing...

Stacey

A cutaway car like a Targa would not have the stiffness, and potential for lightness, required to differentiate the model. That is, in order to differentiate it from the 911, it ought to be a light, stripped, 'clubsport'/manufacturer's cup type car.

The 911 is the 356 evolved; the Boxster is the 550 Spyder evolved; the Coupester should be the 904 evolved. The 904 was the first Porsche mid-engined racing coupe, and spawned a line of racecars that exists even today.

The 900 series race cars probably never achieved iconic form like the 356, 911, or 550, and so the Coupester does not have the same retro mandate to adhere to. So it can be more of a completely new thing. Therefore one could argue that the look of the car in the spyshots we've seen show it to be too much just a "Boxster Coupe" rather than a completely new model with its own identity.

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    Would they consider making it a targa, or will that give them the disadvantages of not enough stiffness like the Boxster????

If you look at the roof of the car in the drawing it has a targa panel. These artists impressions are usually drawn by people who work for the magazine and often turn out to be hugely wide of the mark. Autocar has made some real howlers in the past with it's supposed "scoop" drawings of forthcoming cars. It is funny to look back at these drawings after the real car has been launched and realised just how wrong they were. The latest Land Rover Discovery has to be one of their worst in a while for the difference between their scoop spy drawing and the real car.

Also if you look closely at the pic of the "Coupester" you will see that they have simply photochopped the roof a red 997 onto a photo of the new 987.

A little over three years ago I was able to participate in a study for what I believed to be the next generation 911 (current 997). Now having seen that Porsche plans on introducing a Boxster coupe I realize that I was very mistaken. One of the versions of the car had very similar lines to the Photoshopped pictures that you have all seen. Viewed from 3/4 rear its C-Pillars and rear window gave the impressions of an older Ferrari.

Nice overall look though.

Perhaps you were being shown a concept for the Coupester while being told it was a design for the 911.

Re: Boxster Coupe / called Cayman

According to auto moto und sport the boxster coupe is to be called cayman.

Translation below:

Porsche Boxster Coupé is called Cayman under the independent name
    Cayman brings to Porsche in the spring 2006 the Boxster Coupé on the
    market. World premiere is to already be on the Frankfurt IAA in the
    autumn 2005.

The Porsche selling people want to position the Cayman - as it could
    be different - over the Boxster: both concerning the price and
    technically.

Because of the Coupé body more rigid in relation to the open version
    the Cayman is to offer a still more precise and agileres handling than
    the Boxster. As motorizing at the beginning of only the s-version with
    3,2-Liter-Sechszylinder and 320 HP one offers. In the case of cockpit
    organization and configuration there is to be however no considerable
    differences to the roadster.

The model name Cayman wakes associations to crocodiles: Kaimane are an
    alligator kind.

Re: Boxster Coupe / called Cayman

thanks ezzie. i think this deserves an extra thread!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM