Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayenne Turbo - Austria Ski Vacation

Hi guys,

greetings from Austria.
    Check the picture, this is what I have in front of my eyes RIGHT NOW... I love WLan, the hotel has 4 hot spots and even broadband in the rooms (T1 line). And this is a family hotel for kids too.

I wanted to share with you my experience today with my Cayenne Turbo. We wanted to park the car and I had to climb a snow covered hill, about aprox. 10*. No chance. I turned the PSM off and tried again...no chance. Only with the low-range setting and the center diff. locked, I was able to slowly crawl my way up that hill. It was a bit icey, the snow was not soft. In my opinion, the tires actually limited the capability, one reason why the correct tire choice is VITAL for winter/off-road capabilities. And if somebody is smart and thinks the Cayenne can handle winter driving with All-Season or even summer tires, forget about it. I have winter tires (Pirelli Scorpion) on my Cayenne.

Another thing worth mentioning: the Cayenne seems to be a real eye-catcher over here, people stare at it like if it was a Ferrari. And all comments from people are positive, some even asked me to show them the interior. It seems that Porsche hit a "nerve" with the Cayenne, maybe it is that bling bling "exclusivity" factor because there are X5s and MLs at every corner here.
    In the hotel garage, there are a total of six(!) Cayenne incl. mine. Two (incl. mine) are Cayenne Turbo, the others are Cayenne S. No V6 but I met one from Holland on my way to Austria.

Re: Cayenne Turbo - Austria Ski Vacation

Is that the new Sony T series notebook? Maybe the 170P? Do you find it very different from your TR? It is apparently slimmer, which is a plus, but otherwise I don't see much difference.

Well, they also got rid of that silly camera.

Great pics RC!!!

Ciaoo

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Is that the new Sony T series notebook? Maybe the 170P? Do you find it very different from your TR? It is apparently slimmer, which is a plus, but otherwise I don't see much difference.

Well, they also got rid of that silly camera.

Yes, Vaio T1XP.

Small size but very poweful with the new Pentium M 733 Ultra Low Voltage processor and 1 MB second level cache.
    Effective (experienced by myself) working time with PERMANENT WLan activated and full power setting: over 3 hours! This is the REAL world working battery time, not what Sony claims.
    It has a built-in DVD+-RW burner and my T1 has been upgraded to 1 GB main memory and with a Atheros a/b/g WLan high power card. HDD has a 40 GB capacity (actually only slightly over 30 GB because of the recovery partition).
    What can I say, I love this little thing, it is fast (of course not fast enough for Half Life 2 ), it is very small and very light. The perfect working tool.
    The LCD is a 10,6" WXGA (1280x768) panel, very nice quality, especially for watching DVD movies.
    It also has two USB 2.0 ports, one IEEE1394 Firewire port, a network interface, a V92/V90 modem, one PCMCIA slot and Bluetooth built-in.

What can I say, I just love it and it is really fast enough for almost everything, including Adobe Photoshop CS and Premiere Pro 1.5.

Very Cool!

I have been eyeing it myself but I may wait a little longer before leaving my TR. The thought of reinstalling all my software buffers that desire for a new toy.

Hi RC, have a good time skiing! The Cayenne V6 in Holand.. I saw a seal grey one a couple of times last week in the little village my parents live in. A dutch car magazine (Carros) stated last summer that the V6 might be the best choice ove here in the nl, because we have niether any hills, nor real cold weather with more then 5cm of snow...
    -Joost-

Wow crazy .. so many places i want to see

I was at chrismas in Oberlech for skiing.
    After arriving in Lech, you have to park your car in very large parking garage. For my surprise there where so many Cayenne that I couldn't count. I think the garage has three or for levels. At the level, where I have parked, I counted 11 Cayenne, mine not included and I have to say that from my parking postion I could only see 1/3 of the level. So in the garage where for sure more then 50 Cayenne!
    Lech and Zürs are full of Cayenne and other good SUVs. A friend asked me if there is a Cayenne rent company in Lech, he also couldn't beleive.

Unfourtantly I didn't take any foto of all the cars.

AM

I think the Cayenne became in the car world what Rolex is to the watch world. It is bulky, heavy, not very nice in design but robust, somehow timeless and definetely bling bling.

BTW: here are two pictures, nothing special but maybe interesting to those who never see snow in their country.

2nd pic

And this is how a Cayenne looks when travelling with two kids (incl. a pair of skis). And of course another two large bags like the ones in the picture in the foot room of the rear behind the front seats.

BTW: I paid 600 Euro for my DVD entertainment system from SONY, a real bargain compared to what Porsche charges. The DVD player is hidden in the rear arm rest (same as the Porsche player) and only the TFT monitor is mounted on an arm and not attached to the headrest. Porsche charges a fortune for such a simple system, they should be family friendly and compare their DVD system price tag with the one of US SUVs.

Hi RC,

Hope you enjoy your holidays. Your pics look really cool, what kind of camera do you have ?

Cheers,

Nice shots thanks for sharing.

I don't like to much the Cayenne, but I at least it's not bling bling either.
    Nice pics

J.Seven

Quote:
    Nico997 said:
    Hi RC,

Hope you enjoy your holidays. Your pics look really cool, what kind of camera do you have ?

Cheers,

The pictures have been taken with a SONY P150, a very nice small camera with 7.2 MP resolution. Picture quality in daylight is superb, unfortunately not that good at darkness or inside buildings (bulb light, candle light, etc.).
    I used Photoshop to resize the pictures and a plugin called Quantum Mechanic to fix light and sharpness for internet publishing but not much correction was needed.

I can highly recommend the new Canon EOS 20D digital SLR, it is somehow affordable, fast and in conjunction with the various Canon lenses, it delivers high quality pictures in almost all situations. Up to ISO 800 even almost noise free and at ISO 3200, you can barely see the noise. Impressive.

A very good website for people interested in digital cameras is www.dpreview.com . The reviews are great!

RC where do you go to ski? Your station looks greats. We go to Zurs and we love them!

Have nice vacation.

Sorry if my English is bad .

Quote:
    mljd said:
    RC where do you go to ski? Your station looks greats. We go to Zurs and we love them!

Have nice vacation.

Sorry if my English is bad .

Because of our big girl (she is 4), we went to Leermos. They have a great skiing school for kids.

Lech/Zurs - fantastic, but for me the party capital of the Alps has got to be St. Anton! I swear that place will be the death of me!

I was in Cervinia/Zermatt last weekend and you're right RC - Cayennes absolutely everywhere. Alas we had an A6 2.0d hire car (new model though), and it handled like a dog on the way back down the mountain in the snow (Tues 18th). I couldn't believe the way the locals were driving down in their Fiat Panda 4x4s. I guess it's a combination of the narrow tyres and the 4WD but they had so much more grip than we did (in about 20cm fresh snow).

On a more sad note however, we passed two serious accidents on the autostrade heading back to Turin - both resulting in cars inverted at the roadside. Nasty

Hey Gaz, isn't Zermatt closed to cars anymore? Last time I was there (8 years ago) they didn't allow cars there.
    -Joost-

Yes you're absolutely right - the Cayennes were indeed on the Italian side. We spent most of our time skiing on the Swiss side however - before the big dump last week things were wearing a bit thin in Cervinia I guess it's a north/south facing thing. To be honest, I think Zermatt has done the right thing in banning traffic - there's nothing worse than fumes hanging in the air at resort level. Val d'Isere springs to mind as being particularly bad for that.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760827 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434446 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260054 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257186 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80773 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871358 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806563 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM