Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Apparently Porsche must be feeling the sting of car

magazines comments regarding the lack of substantially changes in styling and hp enhancements. They had their resident journalist Paul Frere write a "puff" piece for R&T. The article is titled 'PORSCHE PERFECTION'. Here are a couple of his comments:

"Porsche is a master in the art of producting new models attractive enough to make an enthusiast's mouth water, yet at the same time not making the previous model obsolete. The 997- series Carrera and the 987- series Boxster prove this point yet again. If you see a 997 next to a 996 or a 987 next to a 986, it becomes obvious that the new model is more elegant. But even a 15 or 20 year old 911 does not look out-dated."

"The same goes for performance. The new model usually is slightly more powerful and has cleaner emissions, but the power boost is not such that it makes the older car seem boring."

He also addresses the criticism regarding variable-ratio steering.

No comments from me are necessary.

Re: Apparently Porsche must be feeling the sting of car

Hey guys,

You know i must say that while being a member of this forum for awhile I must admit i truly feel sorry for you nberry. You must have a boring life, your whole life must be occupied with trying to find articles or info on ways to put down products from porsche. I wont waste any more of my time on this topic.

Ciao

This is actually a pretty positive post in favor of Porsche. Thanks Nick.

Who cares what processed-cheese magazines like R&T and C&D say?

Nick, You must be the leader of those with negative comments about the 997. But you can't kill off the 911!

Porsche isnt going to evolve its shape and power plant into a Gallardo like product either, so give up! People like them.

As Morgan is the poster child for pre war car styling, the
    Porsche 911 is for the post war icon for most sports car
    enthusiasts.

So let Porsche fiddle with styling cues,try new steering box's and work to make a rear mounted flat six pass emissions and noise regulations. Its a competent and spectacular sports car.

The most amazing thing is the success Nick makes in this forum, every time he drop a post, there's a huge traffic and everybody wakes up and feel the "need for speed" on him

Nick I find you funny, you always seem to rise the Porsche fever over here and although I don't agree with many of your posts, I can see a point in them.

J.Seven

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    The most amazing thing is the success Nick makes in this forum, every time he drop a post, there's a huge traffic and everybody wakes up and feel the "need for speed" on him

Nick I find you funny, you always seem to rise the Porsche fever over here and although I don't agree with many of your posts, I can see a point in them.

J.Seven

silly me, I was refering to nberry, and not Nick

J.Seven

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    This is actually a pretty positive post in favor of Porsche. Thanks Nick.

Well his argument does have a certain logic to it.

BTW, I'll bet that I could post a very positive take on Porsche but some would think I was being negative. Like the Boxster thread. It started as a positive and most thought it was negative.

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    silly me, I was refering to nberry, and not Nick

Same person, Nick is nberry.

BTW, I'll bet that I could post a very positive take on Porsche but some would think I was being negative. Like the Boxster thread. It started as a positive and most thought it was negative.

They are after you Nick
    B.T.W Do you still own the Cayenne?

interesting how he picks and chooses what magazines/articles conform to his propaganda war against porsche

Quote:
    nberry said:

This is good stuff. I only recently joined the board but thought this kind of post was restricted to some of the more vociferous contributors at roadfly.com but I must have been mistaken. It seems that things don't improve the more you spend on a car. There are still people out there who want to waste their time posting negative comments about the cars that the forum has been set up to discuss.

Nick you are highly entertaining even if you don't answer direct questions such as your thread on the Boxster. Keep up the good work.

I don't understand the article as a criticism, on the contrary. But maybe my English isn't good enough to understand the TRUE meaning of it.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Saying 'I have a problem with Porsche's strategy' is not generally seen as a positive comment.

Do you completely forget what you yourself post? along with what other people ask you and what other people say? I think you live in a dream world, must be nice for you

I don't see a positive post, basicly what I interpret is that when Nick saw that article in favor of the 997, he inmediately deducted that it must be Porsche paid propaganda to counter the suposedly "in his mind" bad press the 3 or 4 times COTY 997 is getting in the magazines due to the lack of exterior clues and HP changes in the model change from the 996.

Some of you may not remember or have arrived later to the forums, but I remember a long while ago all the things nick said about the Cayenne when it was being inroduced and how it would be a sales flop and how horrible vehicle it was and ranted on and on about it... you know, exactly like he is doing with the 997 now. Well, to cut a long story short, not long afterwards he himself ended up buying one of the very first Cayennes in his area and its became a sales success and ended up eating his own words

So to me I just see in Nick's 997 posts that popular saying of history repeating itself ... so relax guys, we have another saying here, "he who laughs last laughs better"... once again we just have to wait 2-3 years till the whole 997 model line is out so we can see the sale figures once every model option is out and substituted the 996 completely, and also see the 997TT and 997GT3 in the comparos against the competition, and we will have ourselves a good laugh again

I found the variable steering a little twitchy in the straight aways at first, and thought that I might have had a wheel balance or alignment error. After the 1st few hundred miles, I realized it was me, not the steering or anything else. Once I adjusted to the sensitivity of the steering I hardly noticed and probably have a greater ability for swing the vehicle through the twisty turns on the back roads near my home. Thanks for the post Nick!

Nick is it true Ferrari and Lambo are going to produce SUVs? Funny, dont you think?!

Quote:
    RC said:
    I don't understand the article as a criticism, on the contrary. But maybe my English isn't good enough to understand the TRUE meaning of it.

RC your english is good. The article was meant to be very positive. After all Paul Freres wrote it. I honestly thought it made some sense in explaining Porsches penchant for little change. Carlos missed the boat.

Carlos since you have become a moderator you now are decidedly rabid Porsche. I liked you better prior to your promotion.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

RC your english is good. The article was meant to be very positive. After all Paul Freres wrote it. I honestly thought it made some sense in explaining Porsches penchant for little change. Carlos missed the boat.

Carlos since you have become a moderator you now are decidedly rabid Porsche. I liked you better prior to your promotion.

There we go again

Yeah, whatever Nick, I must have misinterpreted this then...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Apparently Porsche must be feeling the sting of car magazines comments regarding the lack of substantially changes in styling and hp enhancements. They had their resident journalist Paul Frere write a "puff" piece for R&T. The article is titled 'PORSCHE PERFECTION'. Here are a couple of his comments:

Here is another saying for you: "throw the stone then hide the hand", sound familiar?

You and me go way back realtive to Porsche and in THREE different forums, not just this one and not just now, so don't pretend this is new.
    One thing I do appreciate is that inspite our differences we always kept it civilised though but I will always be there looking over your shoulder when ever you post something in your misleading, malintended and sarcastic style and your, for some reason, age-old hidden agenda about a sportcar you don't even own

Congrats Nick with your new member profile

_____Rennteam Pro(vocateur)________

I never saw a member awarded with that profile

Quote:
    nberry said:

OK, Nick, let me try your method for a positive post. Here's my positive post for you:

"Now that you've stopped beating your wife, you're the better for it."

Has a cheery ring to it, no?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691832 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410455 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256337 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235561 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65888 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4755 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

859029 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775522 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM