Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016)

45 minute video from Autogefühl with both nice footage and some driving experience.

I was invited by Porsche to a sneak preview.

The event was organized in a private villa. The owner isn´t related to Porsche he collects Porsche but he isn´t in any business relation to the factory or family.

The event was very private 5 people where invited. Get some drinks, some finger food and get the chance to talk to two design guys. 

Overall the car looks in flash miles better then on any photo. The lines and proportions are well chosen. The car is 80 mm longer but optically the car is more compact then the old one.

The interior is very good, the car feels modern. The new touch panel is nice, you feel the buttons good (if you have pressed it). To find the button you have to look, no way you can guess without looking.

We have heard the sport exhaust from 4s (6 cyl) and turbo (8 cyl). The 4s sound was very good, better then expected.

What else? The trunk is larger (+50l), the entry at rear is easier. Lot of assistance and rear axle steering.

Three things I didn´t like:

- the steering wheel, it is as ugly as on 991, feels cheap with the plastic with alu look
    - the touch panel - you have to look to find the buttons, and there are still much of them
    - the gear lever - ugly and who needs this thing today?

Overall a very sexy car, no way a MB 63, Audi S8, RS6, BMW 7 or Tesla can compete with this beauty (just the impression of the car I am not talking about any numbers or so).

--

AM

I have always had a hard time with the Panamera. I have often been snide regarding its looks. Panamera 2.0 is an incredible improvement . I cant wait to see one in person (not an easy feat in my neck of the woods). Porsche have done an outstanding job IMO.

bfe2dac120.jpg

--

I had a chance to quickly (10 min) drive the new Panamera.

Quick summary:

Appearance: As we already figured out - taste is a personal thing. To me the rear looks awesome, the front looks cheap and the side is boring. But this is my taste. Also - the car was still pre-production.

Interior: Car had a non-leather dash, which always kind of takes the elegance. The big screen in the middle looks weird but it operates very fast. The google-navigation is awesome and feels like in the Tesla. The center console looks a bit 80s to me - dont know why. However, it operates great. But - I probably would never be able to operate those sensor buttons without looking at it. Seats like always super comfy, not much new on this side. Rear seats are spacious and I had a lot of space to the ceiling. The huge center arm-rest with its "sorry" ugly cup holders is also a matter of taste. For sure functional but not a stylish highlight. 

Drive - Pana 4S equipped with the Sport Chrono, PASM and 4 wheel steering. It feels much shorter than it is. In Sport Mode - car is very fast - feels light and comparable to the 991 Carrera S. The sound is ok - it is a 6 cylinder and you can hear it. It is soft and in sport mode it can be rough. Actually, I like it a lot in Sport Mode - it is fun, agile and may be even mean if you want it to be! - Different story in "normal" mode, car feels slow and not like a Porsche, but it gives you the relaxed mode you might need on a longer distance, much softer, much more calm. I think great for everyday. 

Overall - a extremely well built car. For sure a Porsche. It gives you emotions, it is fun! Technology made a huge step ahead, the infotainment feels strongly updated. Car handles fun, it feels sporty (in sport mode), it feels grown up and relaxed (in normal mode). Is it a luxury sedan? - for sure not. As you all know I owned 3 BMW 750 - those cars felt more luxury, safe and more sedan. But for sure, this Panamera is a different league and class when it comes to fun and sport. Would I buy it - lets say it like this, if I would look for a Sedan and I wouldn't mind to pay 150-200k€, I for sure would buy it over a E65 or M5. If I would look for a luxury Sedan, I would still take a S-Class or a 7. However - it would need some more refined test before making a final decision.

14690293843492016-07-19 13.21.37.jpg

How much better than the old version does it drive?

SciFrog:

How much better than the old version does it drive?

Hmm - long time since I was driving the old Panamera. But as I said, it felt very agile, very short. I missed the V8 which I used to drive before, not from the power. But it is more from the noise and push. The car feels modern and light, the old one I remember felt more heavy, more big-sedan like.

Thanks Adnan and Lars for sharing... kiss

I haven't driven the new Panamera yet but from what I heard, the front and steering feel lighter but more direct, the car feels and moves lighter, big difference to the old one which already was pretty fast and refined. The more luxurious (and probably even sportier) alternative to a M5 or E63 AMG.

Still not a fan of sedans though...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Sport Turismo confirmed I guess.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/07/porsche-panamera-sport-turismo-to-debut.html

I wonder how much they are selling the Avant version.... more expensive than Sedan?? 

huangester:

I wonder how much they are selling the Avant version.... more expensive than Sedan?? 

Good question. Actually, I heard that the price difference is going to be pretty small, maybe to test the market? Smiley

I am actually glad to hear that the Sport Turismo version is coming (I have no official confirmation though), there were rumors that this model was part of the VW Group "scrap list".

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    huangester:

Good question. Actually, I heard that the price difference is going to be pretty small, maybe to test the market? Smiley

I am actually glad to hear that the Sport Turismo version is coming (I have no official confirmation though), there were rumors that this model was part of the VW Group "scrap list".

The Sport Turismo is fixed, market debut end 2017.

--

AM

ALDO:
    RC:
    huangester:

Maybe they should have talked to Audi first...the RS6 doesn't seem to sell to well right now.

My dealer wants to get rid of his RS6 Performance (several cars) fast...the car sold well around April but now...

--

RC:
    ALDO:
    RC:
    huangester:

Maybe they should have talked to Audi first...the RS6 doesn't seem to sell to well right now.

My dealer wants to get rid of his RS6 Performance (several cars) fast...the car sold well around April but now...

The Audi is little bit outdated (interior). I still like the idea of a Sports Turismo. 

Last week I was invited for a private presentation of the Panamera. The car is very nice, feels good and have a better sound then any Maserati or so. As a ST it is quite unique.

--

AM

am currently driving the RS6 for 10 month, and the car is epic and very low profile!  front end heavy car, extremely stable, understeers a bit on high speed corner, but an excellent car for 1.8tons weight.   interior out dated!!  but overall a very good car compared to AMG, Mpower.  

The new Sports Turismo interior is what attracts me the most, not happy with its massive size car though....  am hoping it will be a little shorter than the current panamera to make more elegant on the proportion.   lets hope the weight isn't going to be heavier, otherwise I am a bit fed up with heavy cars on fast corners already....

huangester:

am currently driving the RS6 for 10 month, and the car is epic and very low profile!  front end heavy car, extremely stable, understeers a bit on high speed corner, but an excellent car for 1.8tons weight.   interior out dated!!  but overall a very good car compared to AMG, Mpower.  

The new Sports Turismo interior is what attracts me the most, not happy with its massive size car though....  am hoping it will be a little shorter than the current panamera to make more elegant on the proportion.   lets hope the weight isn't going to be heavier, otherwise I am a bit fed up with heavy cars on fast corners already....

I agree, the "massive" look of the Sport Turismo could be a problem for me (probably not for others) and I'm not sure my wife would like those touch controls. I understand why Porsche did it, a completely new interior overhaul but the sensor buttons could be a serious problem for some people. I'm not a big fan either...and I love this kind of stuff. A small "border" between the buttons, maybe half a mm high, would have been a good idea: Especially when driving, the fingers usually shake a little bit when you want to push/press a button and this can even be a problem with touch screens in front of you, so how will touch buttons work which are even slightly below your direct line of vision? Smiley Smiley I suppose Porsche tested this stuff but I have my doubts. Our Escalade rental car had touch buttons and I hated them.

--

Apparently a shorter wheelbase is in the build. You also can see the rear window framing under that black sticker. It goes all the way to the C-Pillar/rear window

So is there going to be:

• Panamera Sport Turismo - Confirmed, right?
    • Panamera Short Wheelbase - ?
    • Panamera Coupe - ?

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Makes no sense to have so many Panamera models...

Obviously the short wheel base is a mule (for coupe?).

With that narrow door access would be even more ridiculous then Rapide's.

Panamera swb, for people who need slightly better back seats than a 911...

Dumb car.

Joost:

So is there going to be:

• Panamera Sport Turismo - Confirmed, right?
    • Panamera Short Wheelbase - ?
    • Panamera Coupe - ?

The Sport Tourismo is confirmed. The Coupe (and a Cabriolet), I've seen talk of (in the automotive press) as though they are mostly confirmed. The model lineup that makes sense then would be.

• Panamera -- Luxury Sedan/Limousine (although, I think the previous styling worked better for this)
    • Panamera Sport Tourismo -- SUV alternative
    • Panamera Coupe/Cabriolet -- Pure Grand Tourer (the current styling works better for this)
    • 911 Sports Car/Grand Tourer range
    • 718 pure Sports Car range
    • Cayenne SUV range
    • Macan XUV range

That makes sense because each line is relatively distinct without too much overlap/cannibalization.

The strange part of the rumors, to me at least, is where the Coupe is supposedly a much higher end car in a completely different price range but with the same Panamera branding attached to it. Maybe there is something else going on as well that doesn't have a name yet. There's the Mission E, the long-rumored 960, anything else? Maybe some of these things are flying under the radar right now and appear as Panameras but aren't.

Also, financially, it makes sense that VW group might push for additional model lines at Porsche. With the emissions scandal, VW group needs cash to cover its losses. VW and Audi can't make this money, they don't have the margins for it. Porsche can make this money, but it needs more model offerings to do it. 

apias:

Also, financially, it makes sense that VW group might push for additional model lines at Porsche. With the emissions scandal, VW group needs cash to cover its losses. VW and Audi can't make this money, they don't have the margins for it. Porsche can make this money, but it needs more model offerings to do it. 

So we can next expect a baby-Macan using Audi Q3 platform - people, please welcome - the Porsche Bacan. Smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

the exhausts look like they're from the base panamera?

Upsa:

the exhausts look like they're from the base panamera?

Definitely the base model; Porsche brings many of their cars to Dubai for hot weather testing so it makes sense that the unreleased base model is there now. Since the Panamera is unveiled and this prototype isn't wearing s drop of camouflage, testing should be just about complete. We might be hearing about this car by Paris or year-end.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

Great...thanks! I haven't seen any in Dubai yet, I suppose we'll start spotting them in November or thereabouts. The big craze here these days is the Bentayga (which I don't much care for, to be honest, but whatever the Royal family patronizes is in vogue - they've apparently ordered 50 Bentaygas). So much for the G Wagen which has been the vehicle of choice

https://youtu.be/1OhfEvMreyw  got this from youtube 

Upsa:

https://youtu.be/1OhfEvMreyw  got this from youtube 

This rear view is the cherry view of the car. the front looks like the old one and the side is just boring! Nevertheless - it drives great (just read my driving report couple of posts above!).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688998 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408922 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255623 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234882 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857746 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773706 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM