Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Schumacher donated 7.5 Million Euros to help Asian victims

I never liked Schumacher due to numerous attitudes he had on the passed has a Formula 1 driver, althought I recognize him to be by far the best Formula 1 driver we have nowadays, and maybe ever since together with some other great names like Senna or Prost.

But it's remarcable what he have just done, even if he has 1000 Million in the bank, I'm touched by his sence of charity and will look at him has an incredible human being.

J.Seven

Re: Schumacher donated 7.5 Million Euros to help Asian victi

Very remarkable indeed .

Re: Schumacher donated 7.5 Million Euros to help Asian victims

Schumacher had attitudes? Never realized that but I guess this is a matter of personal sympathy.
    He's a family type of guy, he lives on a farm in Switzerland with his wife and the kids.
    Not quite the life I would choose for myself but I really have to say I'm impressed with the 7.5 Mill donation from him for the flood victims. He has been criticized a lot in Germany because of the money he earns and the fact that he doesn't pay taxes over here (as mentioned before, he lives in Switzerland) but I think he is a really generous person and he didn't do it just for publicity (500000 or 1 Million Euro would have "sufficed" for that), he did it out of his heart. This really makes me feel a little bit bad about MY donation for the victims but I think every amount of money counts now.

I'm also impressed by the US actions. While most Europeans are still talking/planning and/or sending a few planes and relief supplies, there are already 12000 US soldiers helping the people in the region, some of them were even retrieved from Iraq. Not to speak about the many US planes and especially helicopters helping out there to bring food and supplies to some areas which are difficult to reach by truck. And this is actually what really upsets me: our press over here in Germany reports every single day about almost all details happening in Iraq and especially when bombs or US soldiers are involved but only a bavarian radio station and two private TV programs reported in detail about the US relief help. Well, we sent a flying hospital and some police officers/coroners to identify the dead, not bad, eh?! ;

But every help counts and I hope that at least the promised money makes it to the destroyed areas to ease the pain and suffering and to allow people to rebuild their homes.

Which brings me back to our initial pledge from a few days ago: Please DONATE, there can't be enough money to help people in Asia and especially the kids who don't have a mother and/or father anymore. I know that people die every day in our world and that there is misery in other regions too but this is no "excuse" not to do anything. If you're feeling bad about Sudan, etc. too, donate for them money too. We're not talking about 7.5 Million but 20, 50, 100 Dollars/Euros or whatever you think you can spare for a human gesture. If you're doing well, if you're healthy, if you have a beautiful family, please think ONLY ONE SECOND about the others not so fortune in the world. A few bucks won't hurt you but it will make a lot of people suffer less and you will feel good doing that, believe me. Thanks.

I also don't see Schumacher had attitudes as an F1 driver. At least in his public speeches. On the other hand, he respects other drivers even though he is the top.

As tragical as this is, I somehow have the feeling that we ('we' as occidental people) donate so much mainly because some of our own people died.

200'000 people died in this tragedy, and we also shouldn't forget that about the same number die every *week* because they just don't have enough to eat... Unfortunately for them, 'we' aren't really involved, and this doesn't appear on the news headlines anymore.
    Maybe our donations could be split, so that this ongoing tragedy doesn't get forgotten.

Thanks
    --Pierre

That's why we need to donate more often.

Generosity is never a problem...

The problem lies with getting all this money TO the victims. There are hundreds possibly thousands of charities probably setup to help these victims but the money, how cna you be so sure it will get there? people are saying give it to the UN, but they're already corrupt because of the corruption in the oil-for-food programmes.

Whatever happens, the victims won't get what they deserve.....no matter how much the world raises...

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:
    Generosity is never a problem...

The problem lies with getting all this money TO the victims. There are hundreds possibly thousands of charities probably setup to help these victims but the money, how cna you be so sure it will get there? people are saying give it to the UN, but they're already corrupt because of the corruption in the oil-for-food programmes.

Whatever happens, the victims won't get what they deserve.....no matter how much the world raises...

Even you donate $100 and only half of these go to the people who need it, is still better than nothing.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I'm also impressed by the US actions. While most Europeans are still talking/planning and/or sending a few planes and relief supplies, there are already 12000 US soldiers helping the people in the region, some of them were even retrieved from Iraq. Not to speak about the many US planes and especially helicopters helping out there to bring food and supplies to some areas which are difficult to reach by truck. And this is actually what really upsets me: our press over here in Germany reports every single day about almost all details happening in Iraq and especially when bombs or US soldiers are involved but only a bavarian radio station and two private TV programs reported in detail about the US relief help. Well, we sent a flying hospital and some police officers/coroners to identify the dead, not bad, eh?! ;

It's good that the Americans send so many financial and human resources to the tragedy field, but with all due respect by all Americans citizens, don't get to excited by their offer, they always charge a "heavy" bill for their "charity".
    I don't want to start any Euro vs U.S charity debate here, I agree that Europe must have a stronger and faster attitude in several aspects and problems that we are facing now thrue out the world.

J.Seven

Shumacher is an asswhipe IMHO, but his donation is truely generous.
    I guess iwith his salary it's the equivalent of a normal guy donating 100$, but the money is surely needed, and I applaud the fact that a ridiculously overpaid guy who (lets face it) drives a car for a living has a sense of responsability to his fellow human beings.
    Well done.

That said, I hope the Iceman or Monty kicks his sauerkraut a*** this season

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    It's good that the Americans send so many financial and human resources to the tragedy field, but with all due respect by all Americans citizens, don't get to excited by their offer, they always charge a "heavy" bill for their "charity".

You're right, I can see that "heavy" bill of "charity" in Germany, we really paid a lot for the help of the Americans. C'mon, you're not serious, are you?!

The 13.000 troops who are there are doing it out of compassion for fellow human beings. Yes, the US usually does put a price tag on its help, but not here. Powell was seriously distressed when he visited Banda Aceh and you can believe me he won't be thinking about benefits for the US when he propeses that GWB approves a bigger financial aid package.

Christian, has I said before, I wont discuss on-line this subject with you or any one else.
    I'm glad those poor and unfortunate people are receiving all the help they can from all over the world, and this is the most important thing right now.

Please Christian, check your private e-mail. Thanks in advance.

J.Seven

Quote:
    Crash said:
    The 13.000 troops who are there are doing it out of compassion for fellow human beings. Yes, the US usually does put a price tag on its help, but not here. Powell was seriously distressed when he visited Banda Aceh and you can believe me he won't be thinking about benefits for the US when he propeses that GWB approves a bigger financial aid package.

I don't think the american politicians do anything without checking the polls first. They may honestly feel compassion for the poor victims, and I believe the average american soldier is MUCH happier to help out in Asia than help f.u.c.k. up the Middle East.
    But I do not-for one second-believe that the american help is based on all fuzzy warm feelings and "reaching out a hand".
    It's also a much needed opportunity for Bush to make up for the bad PR the USA has been getting the past few years - and it's a godsent opportunity to divert attention from the Vietnam-like political hole of quicksand he has been digging himself in Iraq.

I believe the average american wants to do good.
    Their politicians on the other hand have a totally different agenda.

So, no. The official american help does only rarely come without a price to pay.

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

I don't think the american politicians do anything without checking the polls first. They may honestly feel compassion for the poor victims, and I believe the average american soldier is MUCH happier to help out in Asia than help f.u.c.k. up the Middle East.
    But I do not-for one second-believe that the american help is based on all fuzzy warm feelings and "reaching out a hand".
    It's also a much needed opportunity for Bush to make up for the bad PR the USA has been getting the past few years - and it's a godsent opportunity to divert attention from the Vietnam-like political hole of quicksand he has been digging himself in Iraq.

I believe the average american wants to do good.
    Their politicians on the other hand have a totally different agenda.

So, no. The official american help does only rarely come without a price to pay.

Exactly. Bush hopes to restore at least some of the US reputation in the muslim world, that's public knowledge. However it doesn't change the fact that the US military is helping to save lives instead of ending them and that can only be a good thing.

Dr. Phil should be shot

Quote:
    Porsche Addict said:
    Dr. Phil should be shot

That's what we Americans usually do when we disagree with others, but it doesn't mean it's right.

Re: Schumacher attitudes??

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    I never liked Schumacher due to numerous attitudes he had on the passed has a Formula 1 driver, althought I recognize him to be by far the best Formula 1 driver we have nowadays, and maybe ever since together with some other great names like Senna or Prost.

Schumacker is the best F1 driver, bar none - the ultimate professional driver along the lines of Fangio, Sterling Moss, Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart. The guys you mentioned (Senna and Prost) were far from his level, their fame being mostly their prima dona antics, IMO.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    J.Seven said:

You're right, I can see that "heavy" bill of "charity" in Germany, we really paid a lot for the help of the Americans. C'mon, you're not serious, are you?!

RC: right on. But you know, we are used to that. The rest of the world never recognizes the good the US does, and their only interest is to put us down - the exact opposite of the US attitude. The Europeans are not just interested in competing w/ the US (and that they should - we do welcome it), but ultimately their interest is to squeeze the US for their own agrandissement - I'll tell you... they tried it before and failed flat on their faces. Oh well...

Quote:

RC: right on. But you know, we are used to that. The rest of the world never recognizes the good the US does, and their only interest is to put us down

Please, we don't need this kind of "poor victims" kind of story here.

J.Seven

Quote:
    Porsche Addict said:
    Dr. Phil should be shot

Do you mean Dr. Phil as in "Dr. Philip McGraw" or as in me?
    I'd very much like to know if people want me dead.
    Thank you.

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    Quote:

RC: right on. But you know, we are used to that. The rest of the world never recognizes the good the US does, and their only interest is to put us down

Please, we don't need this kind of "poor victims" kind of story here.

J.Seven

You're both right and wrong. The US does both good and bad, but it's not going to help things by blasting at them regardless of what they do, because the people themselves, if you count out the politicians, are mostly good folks. There is however a dangerous "we are superior" mentality being born, especially with GWB's "America will go into Iraq alone" crap. Well guess what, it can't survive on its own and needs Europe one way or the other. So battlequeens from both sides, calm down. The US is often JUSTLY criticised for its mistakes but the sad thing is that the good things it does are mostly ignored. But then again, look at the current administration... I'll just go hug a tree before someone here accuses me of being a liberal...

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    Quote:
    Porsche Addict said:
    Dr. Phil should be shot

Do you mean Dr. Phil as in "Dr. Philip McGraw" or as in me?
    I'd very much like to know if people want me dead.
    Thank you.

Well, I don't want you dead. Your opinion is very welcome as far as I'm concerned

Hehehe..Thanks, man
    Just wanted to know why Dr. Phil "should be shot".

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    Hehehe..Thanks, man
    Just wanted to know why Dr. Phil "should be shot".

He he! I want to keep you alive too. But the real Dr. Phil might take me a while to decide

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    J.Seven said:

Schumacker is the best F1 driver, bar none - the ultimate professional driver along the lines of Fangio, Sterling Moss, Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart. The guys you mentioned (Senna and Prost) were far from his level, their fame being mostly their prima dona antics, IMO.

Schumacher is good yes, but he has had the happenstance (good or bad) to have had "0" competition from other drivers and other marques for most of his career. Prost and Senna raced at the height of F1 technology and competition. Senna was more talented and i would put shumacher in amongst Prost, Lauda, Piquet, and Mansell. But certainly not better.

F1 has been so tamed down it is ridiculous. I do not know what your F1 experience is but the tracks have been severely neutered since the mid-80's and so have the cars. Also much driver skill has been ruled out with all these aids. Its a different game and a much poorer one.

Tom

Some people like Schumacher, others don't. It is undisputed, however, that he is among the best drivers ever.

yes, he won races because his team mate was not allowed to win
    Yes, he also won races because he was racing a superior car
    Yes, he ran into Hill in 1994 and won a title doing that and tried the same with Villeneuve in 1997 where it didn't work

But:

- Prost and Senna ran into each other more than once and decided a title fight by doing that
    - I don't remember Senna driving a totally useless car like the 1996 Ferrari (when Schumacher moved as double world champion from Benetton)
    - Senna and Schumacher were driving against each other for quite some time - in particular in 1994 when Senna was in the best car (Williams) and was totally outclassed by Schumacher (until Senna died in the crash)
    - Schumacher lost 3 world titles (to Villeneuve in 1997 and Hakkinen in 1998 and 1999) only in the last race of the season and driving an inferior car and won 5 titles since (Rubens was not allowed to win some races but NEVER had a real chance for the title because he was simply not quick enough)
    - I remember some races of Schumacher (such as the "water battle" in Spain in 1996) when he was 3sec a lap faster than anybody else on the track

Quote:
    OAB said:
    Some people like Schumacher, others don't. It is undisputed, however, that he is among the best drivers ever.

yes, he won races because his team mate was not allowed to win
    Yes, he also won races because he was racing a superior car
    Yes, he ran into Hill in 1994 and won a title doing that and tried the same with Villeneuve in 1997 where it didn't work

But:

- Prost and Senna ran into each other more than once and decided a title fight by doing that
    - I don't remember Senna driving a totally useless car like the 1996 Ferrari (when Schumacher moved as double world champion from Benetton)
    - Senna and Schumacher were driving against each other for quite some time - in particular in 1994 when Senna was in the best car (Williams) and was totally outclassed by Schumacher (until Senna died in the crash)
    - Schumacher lost 3 world titles (to Villeneuve in 1997 and Hakkinen in 1998 and 1999) only in the last race of the season and driving an inferior car and won 5 titles since (Rubens was not allowed to win some races but NEVER had a real chance for the title because he was simply not quick enough)
    - I remember some races of Schumacher (such as the "water battle" in Spain in 1996) when he was 3sec a lap faster than anybody else on the track

I don't having anything more to add except that a good F1 pilot is also someone who knows to give feedback to the team and to build a performant car during the years. This is why the Ferrari has been dominating in the last 5 years!
    Look also at Valentino Rossi. He is not someone who wins because he has the best under his bottom, he is the best because he knows how to make the best of his bike!

I agree, Shumacher is arguably the best drive right now. Or should I say, the one who is getting the most out of his material.

However (and call me paranoid if you like) I believe that in a few years we will klnow just how much the new technology (from tractioncontrol to antispin via computer coding and hacking and radio eavesdropping) have affected the sport.
    I believe some teams- and Ferrari being one- are abusing this technology.
    We all know they couldnt track the election tampering in Florida where a hidden software program changed the result og the election, so no doubt we have the same challenge in F1.

Some teams tamper, cheat and play dirty tricks.
    I believe Ferrari is one of them.
    Why?
    It is simply inconceiveable to me, that one team is so much better than the others. Consider the opponents: Car makers with the same money, the same technology and known to produce far more reliable cars (in real life)...and they all suck compared to Ferrari? I think not.
    Its also hard to believe that an F1 team has virtually no technical malfunctions, meltdowns or other crucial problems during 3-5 years of racing. With hundreds of people on the team, tons of tech parts that can malfunction, it's unlikely that nothing goes wrong more often.
    And lets face it, the cars are built by italians for crying out loud.
    Please name ONE car built in Italy, that doesnt have either parts that fall off for nothing, breaks down for no reason or behaves strangely in some way.
    Even my buddy's 360 spider was like that. It was better, but it was still not dependable.
    Now suddenly, they build F1 cars that never break down? Niiice.

Furthermore I find it amazing that the Italians, who change government 4 times a year, have invented corruption and spawned the Mafia are suddenly totally professional, disciplined and -not least- fairplaying sportsmen?
    Hmmm....

I'm in no way after italians as a people, but merely pointing out, that based on results and history, it's a totally different Italian attitude altogether, innit?

Look at disciplinary fines, penalties etc on the track.
    Most drivers get penalized immediately for speeding, being too aggressive etc.
    When Schumi crosses a wrong line, drives too fast in the pit lane etc..what happens? NOTHING!
    How can this be? Oh, no- the Italian team behind Schumi is of course not bribing anyone...hell, theyre italians. Theyre not like that at all....

Personally, I dont like Schumi.
    His attitude sucks big time, and if it wasnt for the Darth Vader-effect he brings to the races (he makes me wanna pop his helmet and empty a double barrel lasergun into the opening) i'd just as soon he retired and kept to himself on his farm in Baden-Baden-Schladen-Fladen-SchlitzBaden.

Funny!

I get your point, Ferrari cheats, ok.
    So what cheat are they using for their car never to break down then?
    Oh yes, I know, they work the hardest and have the best engineers.
    I'll remember that one, I should cheat too more often that way!
    Remember Doctor, Jean Totd is french, Jean-Jacques His is French, Ross Brawn is British, Schumi is German, etc. etc. etc. Not all italian, but a team that wa sput together in the worst of time for Ferrari, when the only race they won in years was in Italy with Jean Alesi (French). They come a long way and have hard for it!
    Would you say that Renault was cheating in the early 90s when they were winning everything? (Prost, Hill, Mansell, etc.)
    Would you say that McLaren was cheating when they were winning most of the races back a few years? (Hakkinen?)
    Fanch
    PS: Dr Phil, your post was hilarious, I mean, you were trying to be funny right?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755891 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431830 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258920 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256036 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80017 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869084 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803265 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM