Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I am curious to know what the target market is for the 2005

Boxster. When the car was initially introduced it was to attract first time buyers (age group?) who did not want to pay the cost of a 911. I assume those buyers have bought. Is the market now for repeat buyers, attract new buyers as originally intended or both?

If this is the target market, does anyone see any problem with this strategy? I do.

Re: I am curious to know what the target market is for the 2005

"Boxster. When the car was initially introduced it was to attract first time buyers (age group?) who did not want to pay the cost of a 911.

My guess: age group 35+, primarily men, but also women. I think the Boxster intro had several objectives:
    1) Get a piece of the roadster market.
    2) Get back to the Porsche roots and draw on the 550 Speedster heritage.
    Remember that in some ways the Boxster is closer to the original Porsche design from the late forties than any other Porsche since the 356.
    My guess is they wanted to get back to their roots after the 924, 944 and 928 models, which -although popular- were perhaps less of an extension of the Porsche heritage than the 911.

3) Attract potential first-time Porsche buyers with a "real" Porsche - unlike the 924 from ancient times. Give first timers a "real" Porsche experience.

4) Create a car based on the well-known quality of the 911 models, but make it a car totally on its own merits. In no way do I see the Boxster and the 911 as the choice the typical first-time Porsche buyer would face.

I dont think you should see the Boxster as an "entry level Porsche" for those who cannot afford a 911. No more than you should see the 911 as an entry level Porsche for those who cannot afford the Carrera GT.
    It's just another car in their line-up, one designed to cover another part of the market than the 911 and CGT.
    And remember that the 90ies were the roadster decade, so naturally Porsche wanted a piece of the cake in a segment that couldnt get closer to their core values.

NBerry:
    I assume those buyers have bought. Is the market now for repeat buyers, attract new buyers as originally intended or both?

My guess: Both, absolutely. Any company simply HAS to do both. Weather you sell cars, screwdrivers or services.

If this is the target market, does anyone see any problem with this strategy? I do.

My answer:
    I dont see a problem here.
    Try seeing the Porsche line-up as a dynamic product line.
    Products come, products go.
    Just as the 356, 959, 924, 928, 968, 944 etc have come and gone, so will other models.
    Although we will see changes, I doubt very much we will see another 924 type model. And by that I mean "another entry level semi-Porsche."
    I think they have learned their lesson by now in that respect.
    But I do believe we will get a cheaper Boxster type car. Maybe a totally raw modern version of the 550. Much less luxurious than the Boxster.
    Just an affordable, no BS, all thrills ride.

Then I believe the CGT will be replaced within 2-4 years.
    This is not intended to be a cash cow for Porsche, but an attention-grabber for a company, that rarely makes any radical moves.
    People see the awesome CGT, think "wow! Nice! Too expensive but I can afford its cool cousin..".
    I think it will be replaced by an even more wild model, with still more provocative design and technology. This type of car is Porsche's showroom.
    This is where they show what they are cabable of.

The 911 will go on for years with minor changes on the surface, and probably major ones underneath.
    We're getting close to 700 bhp as the supercar standard, and that calls for some serious rethinking of both how to get the power, and equally important how to tame it via suspension, brakes etc.

The 911 is the "real" Porsche of modern days, simply because it is the shape of this car we have been associating with Porsche for decades.
    With time, maybe another model will take its place - most likely so.

I believe we will get a new 928 of some sort. A more GT-like car to compete with the Merc SL, AMs etc

And finally I believe the Cayenne segment is here to stay.
    Unless americans suddenly feel an urge to drive in small cars, the SUV market will be crucial to any car manufacturer.
    Wheather that will pose a marketing/branding related problem, only time will tell.

I hope my fairly long input is helpful

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Boxster. When the car was initially introduced it was to attract first time buyers (age group?) who did not want to pay the cost of a 911. I assume those buyers have bought.

Nick, your opinions are always stated with a certain, should I say it, arrogance..

The Boxster was introduced and basically saved Porsche in 1997-1998. Many buyers (even if they could afford a 911) have still bought the Boxster. I know of many who owned a 911 and then went to a Boxster.

It has nothing to do with income.

Anything wrong with having choices?

While many do not agree with the Cayenne, having taken Porsche out of top-tier racing for 5+ years now, it still helped Porsche a lot when the sportscar market was pretty weak the last few years.

These are business decisions. The Boxster turned out to be a winner. However, their biggest market, the US, has changed quite a bit since the intro of the 986. HP is king (at least for the next several years), even though Porsche has never really been the HP leader. Time will tell if the 987 and and 987S generate enough sales. I don't think the target market has changed, and it's NOT the first-time buyer. Maybe the first-time Porsche buyer... But that's been Porsche's plan for a long time. Get the buyer to bite, then move up to the higher-margin 911.

Re: some demographics for Porsche in the US

Boxster: Avg age of 49,male, 100K income
    911 : Avg age of 55,male, 200k income

Most first time Porsche buyers buy used.
    Most new Porsche buyers buy trucks!

Porsches fourth model will be a sedan.

Big as hell they are after the three car household market.
    Sedan, Suv, Sportscar.

Porsche will not let premium segment shoppers walk off the lot without buying something!

Hope this helps.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Boxster: Avg age of 49,male, 100K income
    911 : Avg age of 55,male, 200k income

Most first time Porsche buyers buy used.
    Most new Porsche buyers buy trucks!

Porsches fourth model will be a sedan.

Big as hell they are after the three car household market.
    Sedan, Suv, Sportscar.

Porsche will not let premium segment shoppers walk off the lot without buying something!

Hope this helps.

How times have changed. When I bought my first Porsche at 18, I could have afford a new 911 with no problem. Yearly salary was way more than the cost of the car. An 18 year old today is not so lucky.

I may have missed your point but you seem to be saying that if the purpose of the 986 was to attract new buyers then why should Porsche launch a replacement if those new buyers have been satisfied. Any car manufacturer requires a constant stream on "new" customers for its brand. Just because the 986 has reached the end of it's model life doesn't mean that there aren't new buyers entering the marketplace all the time. These people want the latest design and technology and that is what Porsche is hoping to entice them with in the 987. BMW replaced the Z3 with the Z4, Audi has a new TT in development etc etc. Does this mean their strategies are also wrong? Porsche needs ongoing increased sales to survive.

I fail to see a flaw in the strategy of attracting new buyers to a brand by offering a relatively "affordable" roadster in a model line up. It has long been acknowledged that the 986 "saved" Porsche's independant status by significantly increasing their sales. The profits generated allowed them to develop the Cayenne (primarily for the US market) and gave them the much needed cash to develop the 997. The fact that the 986 and 996 were so close in terms of stying and components was down to the lack of cash available for model development in the mid 90's.

Modern saftey and technological innovations have significantly increased the development costs of new models and it is testament to the quality of the management team at Porsche that they have managed to turn round a car company that was effectively reliant upon one very ageing model into a world class sportscar business without the support of a large industrial conglomerate behind them. To ensure continued profitability they need to broaden their model range still further.

Ferrari were saved by being taken over by the Fiat empire. They had some dark days before Luca di Montezemola took over the reigns and put them back on the path to F1 glory which gave them the cash to develop the road cars. I think it is more fair to say that Ferrari lived on past glories for several years before the turn round in the mid 90's. Their customers had to suffer poor quality, suspect handling (348) and poor value. It is a little unfair to compare Porsche directly with Ferrari as Porsche have only one brand. Ferrari has the luxury of now being under the same roof in the Fiat empire as Maserati which has enabled them to offer a wider model range at lower prices thus allowing the Ferrari brand to be left for the high end market. If anyone is rifling their customers pockets it is Ferrari, not Porsche. Huge servicing costs, inflated front end prices, heavy depreciation if mileage is put on the car etc etc.

And before I am flamed let me just say that I love cars and would buy an F430 tomorrow were money no object. However I am more than delighted to be buying a new 997 Carrera and will enjoy it every bit as much.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    However I am more than delighted to be buying a new 997 Carrera and will enjoy it every bit as much.

And I am more than delighted in the anticpation of getting my new Boxster. I don't know of any other car at anything like the money that will give quite the same sense of occasioncombined with excitement as the new 987. IMHO.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    How times have changed. When I bought my first Porsche at 18, I could have afford a new 911 with no problem. Yearly salary was way more than the cost of the car. An 18 year old today is not so lucky.

Certainly, you do have your good abilities/skills/business sense or whatever to lead you a success story. But you don't think you're lucky?

Re: I am curious to know what the target market is for the 2

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Boxster. When the car was initially introduced it was to attract first time buyers (age group?) who did not want to pay the cost of a 911. I assume those buyers have bought. Is the market now for repeat buyers, attract new buyers as originally intended or both?

Boxster's market may have been soften a bit in the U.S. but Porsche always have something in their arsenal to make up for it; an example of that would be the upcoming Boxster coupe, or whatever the name will be, and it will cover another segment of the market.

In the past few years I understand that Boxster has become more of a female Porsche driver car but coupe will fill the gap for those whom wanted a Boxster but didn't want to associate themselves with chicks car per se and at the same time 911 was too much money for them. judt my 2 cents.

I have no doubt that the upcoming B-Coupe will generate as much money as Boxster did initially.

Correct, I agree.
    The B-Coupe will be the perfect car also for guys who want to drive a female car but haven't dared so far.
    Ron, get your cheque book!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Correct, I agree.
    The B-Coupe will be the perfect car also for guys who want to drive a female car but haven't dared so far.

Need to get my hair done first

Funny I guess it depends on the country, in Spain I don't think the Boxster is seen as a girls cars but many women drive a Cayenne which I guess is seen as the ultimate macho man car in the US...

Here is something for you to ponder. I was reading an article about a football player and the writer wrote "he can accelerate like a Porsche". The perception of a Porsche is a very fast car which can beat anything on the road.

Yet we enthusiast know better. Porsches are fast but not necessarily straight fast. The Boxster, though a wonderful handling car, needs a either a very curvy road or a stadium parking lot filled with cones to really show its stuff.

There is a disconnect between the Boxster and Porsche perception. Thus, when it was first introduced, many people bought with this perception in mind. After a few years of ownership,though a quality car, many come to realize that it does not meet their perception of Porsche.

KIds today know the difference between a Boxster and a 911 and find it lacking. Adults who look for high performance find it lacking. Only a small group of true sport car enthusiast who understand the concept of balance, braking and skilled driving appreciate the car.

Thus the target market when the car first appeared has diminished greatly. To resuscitate the model it must change the focus of the car. Certainly a coupe will attract a new segment. Yet like the cab. it will be on life support and in need of a transfusion to allure new buyers in a very short time.

What that transfusion will be all depends on what market they wish to interest. Right now there really is no market segment other than the small band of knowledgeable car people and feminine customers.

One final point. No one should look to history and try to make judgments as to what is the market today. It has changed dramatically. Recall the angst when Porsche decided to build a SUV. Though I for one still be believe the jury is out on its success to date many of us are eating our words.

1 - I do agree that Porsche's marketing strategy is not clear regarding the Boxster.

2 - I do feel that the Boxster is a great looking roadster with outstanding performance in its segment, most people recognise the Boxster as the best roadster in the market. I am not comparing the Boxster to the 911 or the F430, last time I checked prices were quite different. I would love to have a F430 as long as I have a 911TT 1st!

3 - I don't think I would agree with your perception about the Boxster and lack of speed. The Boxster is a fast car in its segment, plus there are many more reasons why people buy a Boxster, a 911 or a sport car in general. I bought a Boxster instead of a 911 because I love convertibles and I never liked the 911 cabrio, except the 996TT or 4S, which is a lot more expensive than a 986 S, I always felt the back of the 911 cabrio looks weird, and the Boxster looks great. When I test drove the 986 I loved it, great fun and the faster you go, the more fun it is. Since I cannot afford a Boxster and a 911 I bought the Boxster. However I can tell you of many people who buy a sports car just because of the status factor with no interest in performance . A guy I know very well is in the process of buying his wife a F430 just because she wants to have a Ferrari to go to the gym and drive around town, he has a Continental GT. In London where I live I see many people cruising around Kings Road up and down with expensive Sports cars and probably don't even know where the engine is.

3 - The roadster market is cyclical and the world economy too. We are not in the same market cycle as in the late 90s when equity markets were booming. We are in a period of slow economic growth, relative high unemployment and high energy prices. I am not surprised sales are down both in 911 and Boxster, the growth was above trend and need to go back hopefully to equilibrium levels. Sales increase should be picked up by a new model, like the Boxster Coupe or a sedan if they did one.

Quote:
    senra said:
    1 - I do agree that Porsche's marketing strategy is not clear regarding the Boxster.

2 - I do feel that the Boxster is a great looking roadster with outstanding performance in its segment, most people recognise the Boxster as the best roadster in the market. I am not comparing the Boxster to the 911 or the F430, last time I checked prices were quite different. I would love to have a F430 as long as I have a 911TT 1st!

3 - I don't think I would agree with your perception about the Boxster and lack of speed. The Boxster is a fast car in its segment, plus there are many more reasons why people buy a Boxster, a 911 or a sport car in general. I bought a Boxster instead of a 911 because I love convertibles and I never liked the 911 cabrio, except the 996TT or 4S, which is a lot more expensive than a 986 S, I always felt the back of the 911 cabrio looks weird, and the Boxster looks great. When I test drove the 986 I loved it, great fun and the faster you go, the more fun it is. Since I cannot afford a Boxster and a 911 I bought the Boxster. However I can tell you of many people who buy a sports car just because of the status factor with no interest in performance . A guy I know very well is in the process of buying his wife a F430 just because she wants to have a Ferrari to go to the gym and drive around town, he has a Continental GT. In London where I live I see many people cruising around Kings Road up and down with expensive Sports cars and probably don't even know where the engine is.

3 - The roadster market is cyclical and the world economy too. We are not in the same market cycle as in the late 90s when equity markets were booming. We are in a period of slow economic growth, relative high unemployment and high energy prices. I am not surprised sales are down both in 911 and Boxster, the growth was above trend and need to go back hopefully to equilibrium levels. Sales increase should be picked up by a new model, like the Boxster Coupe or a sedan if they did one.

Right on the money there, Senra.
    However you look at it, a car that does 0-100 in 5,7 secs and v-maxes on 265 km/h isn't exactly slow - and I think that is a testament to the fact that even the "small" "poor man's" Porsche is faster than 99% of normal cars - and do quite well against its direct competitors in the market.

So when you say the Boxster isnt a real Porsche because Porsches are percieved as fast cars - and the Boxster isnt fast enough, I dont agree with you.
    There is in fact just one single slow gearshift in a 911 that seperates it from the Boxster S.
    So wheater your car goes frok 0-100 in 5,7 or 5,2 secs, I think we must agree those are both fast cars.

I guess you mean when nberry says that the Boxster is not a real Porsche. I defenetly think it is, and I defenetly think it is a fast car.

Re: Boxster / Ferrari Pricing Models

Porsches pricing model of the Boxster matches their historical formula of pricing their entry level cars
    to be roughly 6 times cheaper than a Ferrari V-12 model.

In 1970 you could get 6 914s or 1 Ferrari Daytona.

In 2004 you could get 6 Boxsters or 1 Ferrari 575.

Nothings changed!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    There is a disconnect between the Boxster and Porsche perception. Thus, when it was first introduced, many people bought with this perception in mind. After a few years of ownership,though a quality car, many come to realize that it does not meet their perception of Porsche.

I'm sure I read in another thread that you were going to stop talking like this? or was that just for the 911, moved on to the Boxster now?

You really are living in a dream world if you think Porsche managed to sell all those boxsters in the first few years to people thinking it was faster than it was. 'enthusiasts' know better, as you said, but straight line speed is one of the few things that nearly everyone buying what they think is a fast car knows before they buy it - everyone quotes the 0-60, 0-100 and vmax, so I dont know how you can claim this is the thing people were somehow cheated on.

I would have thought it was all the people buying the other roadsters that quoted equal or better 0-60 figures that were cheated when they found out it didnt drive as well as a Boxster.

The 'female car' comment may have been a bit of a joke, from whoever said it, but i'll respond anyway - I have seen very few women driving Boxsters in the UK.

Quote:
    In the past few years I understand that Boxster has become more of a female Porsche driver car but coupe will fill the gap for those whom wanted a Boxster but didn't want to associate themselves with chicks car per se and at the same time 911 was too much money for them. judt my 2 cents.

Quote:
    Correct, I agree.

Please...This is too funny. I think some of you guys have image problems. One must show how much of a man they are . I see just as many female drivers in the 996 as the 986. And some may be able to out drive you as well. Stop fooling yourselves. I figured the mentality of Porsche drivers would be higher, but ignorance seems to flow in all segments of life.

Hehehe..well, personally I dont believe women are genetically disposed to driving cars, but sadly I'm not a forensic scientist, so I can't prove that theory
    Go to topgear.com and read Jeremy's article on women in hot cars.
    He's so right!
    I don't care if they can barely reach the pedals, duno how to operate it - let alone drive it, but a Boxster becomes most women. Theres something raunchy about a tart in a sportscar, innit?

Quote:
    Eurospeed said:
    Please...This is too funny. I think some of you guys have image problems. One must show how much of a man they are . I see just as many female drivers in the 996 as the 986. And some may be able to out drive you as well. Stop fooling yourselves. I figured the mentality of Porsche drivers would be higher, but ignorance seems to flow in all segments of life.

Eurospeed, you'd do yourself a favor if you get that repeated "boxster inferiority vs 911" chip off you shoulder before you pass patronizing judgements upon others. Being so defensive in your posts vs 911 owners only reveals those very image insecurities you are trying to avoid. Relax.
    Most here know the Boxster is not inferior to a 911, its simply a different concept and the fact it has less HP does not take away from its sportiveness or stature. When I see a Boxster, its get EXACTLY the same respect from me than a 911. But the fact is that the Boxster does as well attract the feminine public "for other reasons than sportiveness" (lower pricetag, open top 2 seater roadster image, less HP, etc) more than the 911 does and some "image concious" buyers may not like that, thats a fact. An even higher performing Boxster Coupe version may change that and appeal to that public, thats all

Quote:
    Martin Tyler said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

I'm sure I read in another thread that you were going to stop talking like this? or was that just for the 911, moved on to the Boxster now?

You really are living in a dream world if you think Porsche managed to sell all those boxsters in the first few years to people thinking it was faster than it was. 'enthusiasts' know better, as you said, but straight line speed is one of the few things that nearly everyone buying what they think is a fast car knows before they buy it - everyone quotes the 0-60, 0-100 and vmax, so I dont know how you can claim this is the thing people were somehow cheated on.

I would have thought it was all the people buying the other roadsters that quoted equal or better 0-60 figures that were cheated when they found out it didnt drive as well as a Boxster.

The 'female car' comment may have been a bit of a joke, from whoever said it, but i'll respond anyway - I have seen very few women driving Boxsters in the UK.

This is by no means a negative post. I happen to believe the Boxster is one great car. But I must also state it is in trouble and unless Porsche wakes up and decides what to do with the car it will go the way of some of its earlier models.

To those of you claiming a Boxster is fast, your in denial. The car was never meant to be fast. It was meant to be a fun roadster which it is. When I tried to get my wife to buy one after a test drive she said it did not have any power. She drove the Boxster S and said it was better but when you consider the cost compared to a Cayenne S (about the same) she opted for the Cayenne.

Porsche sells cars in good part on perception and the Boxster is perceived as a PORSCHE (I never said otherwise) which is underpowered and slow for a Porsche.

"It was never meant to be fast"....
    OK, you seem to live on a different planet than me
    Last time I checked, a 0-100 time of 5,5 secs was fast, and definately fast enough for the Boxster to be called a Porsche.
    According to your theory, none of the Cayennes are real Porsches either.
    Even the Cayenne Turbo "only" manages 0-100 in 5.6 secs, and 266 kph v-max - and the Cayenne S does 0-100 in 6.8 secs.
    Both must be totally underpowered in your world then.

The fact that someone even has to choose between the Cayenne and the Boxster is more a testament to the fact that your wife perhaps had no idea what kind of car she wanted, than it is a proof that "the Cayenne is better than the Porsche" like she said.

If she said the Boxster S had no power and went on to choose the Cayenne S (which is more than one second slower 0-100 than the Boxster) it can be one of two things:
    1) The cayenne FEELS faster
    2) She really needs to learn how to drive.

Listening to a woman saying the Boxster S is underpowered is...well, it's just damn funny.
    Unless your wife is a professional sportscar driver, I would think 260 and 280 bhp (986S and 987S respectively) should be more that sufficient power for her.
    Has she tried taking the gears past 4000 rpm? LOL!
    Man this is some funny shiit. A girl that thinks the Boxster S is underpowered...hihihi.

But youre right about one thing: The Boxster is not made to be a speedmachine. Its'made to be a fun driving machine. The first Boxster was not slow, but at 200 bhp it was definately not overpowered either.

With 280bhp and 0-100 in 5.5 in the new 987, you'd have to be a decadent and spoiled rich man's brat to claim it is underpowered.
    Sure, the 911's are faster, but marginally so, and if you want a REALLY fast car (0-100 in 4.5 and less) you have to pay waaaay more than you do for a Boxster.

Nberry. Just one question:
    If 0-100 in 5.5 secs and 270 kmh vmax is SLOW, then what -in your world - is the limit between fast and slow?
    In other words: What constitutes a fast car (spec-wise) in your opinion?
    0-100 in 4 secs? 3 secs?

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    "It was never meant to be fast"....
    OK, you seem to live on a different planet than me
    Last time I checked, a 0-100 time of 5,5 secs was fast, and definately fast enough for the Boxster to be called a Porsche.
    According to your theory, none of the Cayennes are real Porsches either.
    Even the Cayenne Turbo "only" manages 0-100 in 5.6 secs, and 266 kph v-max - and the Cayenne S does 0-100 in 6.8 secs.
    Both must be totally underpowered in your world then.

The fact that someone even has to choose between the Cayenne and the Boxster is more a testament to the fact that your wife perhaps had no idea what kind of car she wanted, than it is a proof that "the Cayenne is better than the Porsche" like she said.

If she said the Boxster S had no power and went on to choose the Cayenne S (which is more than one second slower 0-100 than the Boxster) it can be one of two things:

Listening to a woman saying the Boxster S is underpowered is...well, it's just damn funny.
    Unless your wife is a professional sportscar driver, I would think 260 and 280 bhp (986S and 987S respectively) should be more that sufficient power for her.
    Has she tried taking the gears past 4000 rpm? LOL!
    Man this is some funny shiit. A girl that thinks the Boxster S is underpowered...hihihi.

But youre right about one thing: The Boxster is not made to be a speedmachine. Its'made to be a fun driving machine. The first Boxster was not slow, but at 200 bhp it was definately not overpowered either.

With 280bhp and 0-100 in 5.5 in the new 987, you'd have to be a decadent and spoiled rich man's brat to claim it is underpowered.
    Sure, the 911's are faster, but marginally so, and if you want a REALLY fast car (0-100 in 4.5 and less) you have to pay waaaay more than you do for a Boxster.

Nberry. Just one question:
    If 0-100 in 5.5 secs and 270 kmh vmax is SLOW, then what -in your world - is the limit between fast and slow?
    0-100 in 4 secs? 3 secs?

Hold on your out of control!

My wife said the base Boxster did not have enough power. She indicated the S was better. She was test driving the 2004 Boxster. Her experience was driving a 996 Cab. (which she traded in) thus she felt the Boxster was underpowered (which it is) and acknowledged by every auto magazine on the planet.

Once you get past your defensive posture, you will realize that the Boxster never was designed to compete with a Corvette, a 360Z or some other sport cars in that price range.

Well put, reminds me of a (girl)friend of mine that bought a VW Polo TDI because the Mini Cooper S felt slow

Quote:
    nberry said:This is by no means a negative post. I happen to believe the Boxster is one great car.

It is your usual style, having a dig by cleverly (in your eyes probably) making a few compliments to go with it.

It may not be that negative about the car, but as usual you are painting a picture of Porsche pulling the wool over their cutomers eyes which just is not the case. You say the Boxster is perceived to be a 'porsche' and therefore fast in a straight line - but as i already said straight line speed is the one thing that is clear to any buyer of any car.

Nberry:
    "She was test driving the 2004 Boxster. Her experience was driving a 996 Cab. (which she traded in) thus she felt the Boxster was underpowered (which it is) and acknowledged by every auto magazine on the planet. "

You previously wrote she tested the 987 Boxster S, and if she came from a 996 Cabrio, she must be some kinda expert to feel the 0.3 sec difference in 0-100 times those two cars have, let alone claim that the Boxster is slower than the 911 Cab when cornering etc.

I suggest you use some other reference than your wife next time you review a car. If she even drove the Boxster 987 S (and didnt mistake it for an MR2 or something) she obviously doenst have a clue.

Or did you simply use her as an excuse to tell Boxster owners, that "the Boxster is so slow, even girls think it's slow"?

The part about every car mag saying the Boxster S is underpowered is nice science fiction. Please back that up with facts if you can.

And last but not least: It'd be nice if you answered THIS question:
    0-100 in 4 secs? 3 secs?

Quote:
    DrPhil said:
    Nberry:
    "She was test driving the 2004 Boxster. Her experience was driving a 996 Cab. (which she traded in) thus she felt the Boxster was underpowered (which it is) and acknowledged by every auto magazine on the planet. "

You previously wrote she tested the 987 Boxster S, and if she came from a 996 Cabrio, she must be some kinda expert to feel the 0.3 sec difference in 0-100 times those two cars have, let alone claim that the Boxster is slower than the 911 Cab when cornering etc.

I suggest you use some other reference than your wife next time you review a car. If she even drove the Boxster 987 S (and didnt mistake it for an MR2 or something) she obviously doenst have a clue.

Or did you simply use her as an excuse to tell Boxster owners, that "the Boxster is so slow, even girls think it's slow"?

The part about every car mag saying the Boxster S is underpowered is nice science fiction. Please back that up with facts if you can.

And last but not least: It'd be nice if you answered THIS question:
    0-100 in 4 secs? 3 secs?

I was avoiding answering the question for good reason. I do not want to be negative. However, since you insist here is my answer.

In the world of high performance sport cars ( unless you want to admit that the Boxster is not high performance) 5.5 is slow and that is the time for the S. What is the time for the base Boxster; eternity? Get over it they are not fast.

The Boxster is designed for handling. If you want speed and handling you get a 911. That is the niche Porsche intended for the Boxster and why sales are now at an all time low. They need to decide what to do with it.

LOOOL!
    You didn't wanna be negative? At least your're funny, too! Hohoho..
    Man, you need to get your facts straight, and better yet, come up with some better arguments.

You say: "0-100 in 5.5 secs is slow in the world of hi performance sporscars."
    Fair enough, thats your opinion.

Now heres what we'll do:
    I list the sportscar Porsches and their 0-100 times, and you let me know when we come to a car that is no longer slow, but a car YOU consider FAST, ok?

Remember, 5.5 seconds is SLOW according to you.
    Here we go.

* 911 carrera 4S Cabrio: 5.3 sec
    * 911 carrera Cabrio: 5.2 sec
    * 911 targa: 5.2 sec
    * 911 Carrera 4S: 5.1 sec
    * 911 carrera: 5.0 sec
    * 911 Carrera S: 4.8 sec
    * 911 GT3: 4.5 sec
    * 911 turbo cabrio: 4.3
    * 911 turbo: 4.2 sec
    * 911 turbo S: 4.2
    * 911 Turbo S cabrio: 4.3
    * 911 GT2: 4.0 sec
    * Carrera GT: 3.9 sec

OK, so where does a sportscar go from being slow (5.5 secs) to fast?
    Let me take a WILD guess:
    Around 4.5 seconds.... which is the 0-100 time for a Ferrari 360...which happens to be the car you drive?
    Of course...this is just a wild guess......

Dr. Phil clearly you have difficulty in grasping what is fast because you drive a Boxster S. In a 0-100 .5 sec is substantial. If the cars continued to 150 and so on the difference would be even greater.

Also, your using 2005 S times against older 996 heavy models. Slick but a very obvious deception.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690423 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409712 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255936 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235237 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858373 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774634 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM